1. Do you need support for Assetto Corsa Competizione? Please use the proper forum below and ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Logs" folder in your c:\users\*youruser*\AppData\Local\AC2\Saved. The "AppData" folder is hidden by default, check "Hidden items" in your Windows view properties. If you report a crash, ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Crashes" folder in the same directory. Do not post "I have the same issue" in an existing thread with a game crash, always open your own thread. Do not PM developers and staff members for personal troubleshooting and support.
  2. As part of our continuous maintenance and improvements to Assetto Corsa Competizione we will be releasing small updates on a regular basis during the esports season which might not go through the usual announcement process detailing the changes until a later version update where these changes will be listed retrospectively.
  3. If ACC doesn't start with an error or the executable is missing, please add your entire Steam directory to the exceptions in your antivirus software, run a Steam integrity check or reinstall the game altogether. Make sure you add the User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione folder to your antivirus/Defender exceptions and exclude it from any file sharing app (GDrive, OneDrive or Dropbox)! The Corsair iCue software is also known to conflict with Input Device initialization, if the game does not start up and you have such devices, please try disabling the iCue software and try again. [file:unknown] [line: 95] secure crt: invalid error is a sign of antivirus interference, while [Pak chunk signing mismatch on chunk] indicates a corrupted installation that requires game file verification.
  4. When reporting an issue with saved games, please always zip and attach your entire User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione/Savegame folder, along with the logs and the crash folder (when reporting related to a crash).

I'm wondering if grid autosport can really be this bad

Discussion in 'Chit Chat Room' started by Strummer, Jun 25, 2014.

1. Strummer

Strummer Simracer

I am such a sucker for hype, it's just not funny. I bought Grid Autosport because I thought it would be sim-lite but sim nonetheless. Not a bit of it, it's nothing but an arcade racer made worse by all the excessive atmospherics, over-the-top eye candy and scripted nonsense. So, buyer beware.

- Menus are insanely counter-intuitive and a pain to navigate, especially with keyboard
    - Driving physics are over-simplified at best, a joke at worst, there's no sense of mass or traction
    - Cockpit view is an afterthought, pasted on, non-adjustable, you cannot see apexes much of the time

I suppose this could be entertaining if you want escapist "racing" drama but its claims to be a simulation are just silly. I freely admit that I've been "spoiled" by AC but Codemasters should not attempt to sell Grid Autosport as a racing simulation when it cannot meet the minimum reasonable standard of realism.

Maybe the street racing will make the purchase worthwhile. If not, it's will not survive the summer on my HD and I advise you all to be less impressionable than I was when it comes to the hype.

2. Similar Threads
    Forum Title Date
    Multiplayer Bugs & Issues I look like I'm driving underground to other people Dec 21, 2022
    ACC Troubleshooting Game Freezes and crashes when i'm in Team events Jul 22, 2022
    Multiplayer Bugs & Issues I'm being disconnected while everybody enjoys MP Nov 9, 2021
    ACC General Discussions How do I accept that I'm crap? Nov 5, 2021
    ACC Multiplayer This just happened to me in a race today and I'm mad. (Revenge crashed for no reason) Jan 28, 2021
    ACC Multiplayer CP connecting to EU region when I'm in US Dec 25, 2020
    ACC Gameplay Why I'm faster in hotlap mod than practice one? Nov 28, 2020
    ACC PS4/PS5/XB1/XBX/S General Discussions This week - I'm wasting my life away on 24hr endurance (offline) Nov 11, 2020
    ACC Physics I'm improving race setup, BUT drives poor with 10 ltrs? Nov 3, 2020
    ACC PS4/PS5/XB1/XBX/S General Discussions Changing rims = hey I'm acc I will play the lottery for the ffb settings for individual rims Oct 7, 2020
    ACC General Discussions Great - I'm at the start line and it's raining. Now what? Apr 4, 2020
    ACC General Discussions I'm newbie Feb 7, 2020
    ACC General Discussions I'm dreaming of a CP christmas Dec 9, 2019
    Chit Chat Room I'm getting slow! Nov 24, 2019
    ACC General Discussions I'm looking for the #43 Lamborghini Huracan GT3 EVO in Update 1.1 Oct 24, 2019

3. CanOx

CanOx Simracer

Dont worry. It will probably still get rave reviews, earn a bunch of money and win some awards while people will still go without ever even hearing about AC, iRacing, RFactor etc..

Yea.. 86% at PC gamer. There's not a single article about AC on PC Gamer
    8.3 IGN... no articles about AC.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2014
  4. Wrongfire

Wrongfire Hardcore Simmer

Even VVV gave it a really good score..
    I couldn't stand the grid series, as you said, it's all VERY counter intuitive..

5. Big Engine

Big Engine Simracer

I will probably have the chance to try autosport today but the first comments that I'm reading on the web are very bad. All I can say is that the first grid was a blast, it was giving you all that you can expect from a driving game (obviously not a sim, but you weren't choosing grid for that). When grid 2 came out I was quite excited but the game was awful. Right now I'm not expecting too much from autosport (especially reading comments in forum), the thing that I'm still looking for more than everything else in the PC-game world is AC without booking system :p

6. I saw the PC gamer review, and thought - hey, might as well give this a shot ... But I've learned the hard way not always trust early reviews, so I jumped onto the Steam forums - and lots of threads and reviews were negative, even warnings against it. I think I will spend the money wisely on beer instead. :p

7. Ettieapple

Ettieapple Simracer

Beer is always something good to spend your money on. But hey, they did atleast mention AC an pcars in the pcgamer review.

8. mattrick

mattrick Racer

I have bought it and dont get to play it until the 27th, however after reading various review I think it may have been a poor decision :-(

Still, at least it will tide me over until AC career mode is available in 2022

Last edited: Jun 25, 2014
    Ray HT likes this.
  9. McNappa

McNappa Simracer

VVV...lol.....joke on console...joke on PC

10. alex72

alex72 Alien

Isnt that the sad truth. All the reviewers bought (getting free games and tickets to events etc) so they dont want to be shoved out in the cold giving golden ratings after testing 2 tracks and 1 car... So transparent and the sheeple buys into it everytime. Yeah, people never learn from history - its a known fact. :D

11. Skazz

Skazz Racer

Codies has always been about offering a fun experience, not too difficult to pick up and play, but way more realistic car control than the real arcade games out there, meaning enough depth to the experience.

Only buy it if you want to have something semi-sim to play on evenings where a real simulator race would require too much concentration and you want a simpler relaxing blast.

P.S. Codies does have some of the best AI around, the graphics (on PC at ultra with much AA) look very good, wheel support is functional and accurate. I enjoyed DiRT 2 and 3, bought GRiD 2 on sale and even there got my money's worth. GRiD Autosport comes out in EU on Friday, so I'll see how it compares then :)

12. eSEA One

eSEA One Hardcore Simmer

o_O Well you can't knock VVV, they do explicitly state in their "GRID Autosport Preview part 1" that it is "Not a Simulator" :rolleyes:
    For folks who prefer simulators that is a clear "do not touch" :eek: however I have been drawn in by the "eye candy" light just a smidgen or two, looking at footage and even heading to see the Steam Store for pricing and deals but get saved by the "Not a Simulator" from VVV ringing in my ears:rolleyes:

TCLF and McNappa like this.
  13. What makes it worse, is that they have had pro racing drivers test the game in development (I dont want to mention names, seems unprofessional). Whether or not codemasters paid attention to the pro drivers is a different matter altogether.

I've not got the game though but have seen videos of people playing it, and it looks awful from the videos. Maybe fun for 10 year olds with no motorsport/racing in the family, but for those after any kind of simulation in gaming, its going to be frustrating.

14. 1karl1

1karl1 Simracer

I bought the steam key after seeing Darren on inside sim racing's test of the game , it was piss cheap . He seemed to enjoy it after turning every single assist off but still called it sim-cade . Race driver grid was a laugh if it's more like that than Grid 2 it should be fun to play , different kind of fun to Assetto but there's room for both unless you have a really small hard drive .

mattrick likes this.
  15. mattrick

mattrick Racer

Far too much snobbery with "Simracers" - human beings are all unique, I may well want to play a sim one day and an arcadey driving game the next day.

I dont eat the same food every day as i like variety - what is wrong with wanting the same variety in gaming??

keith dixon and Nao like this.
  16. bigbawmcgraw

bigbawmcgraw Alien

The thing that puts me off any codemasters title is their lack of support. Once GRID v1.0 was released they more or less washed their hands of it and were not prepared to fix any of the major problems i.e speed hacks. They did eventually patch it 3 times but the fixes were circumvented within hours.
    Bought a couple of other CM titles and they were buggy as hell too, so no more of my cash will go to them.

17. eSEA One

eSEA One Hardcore Simmer

That's fine if that's what you like, I didn't mean it in a snobbery way. I just loose interest very quickly in arcade style driving games, but that's me it's a pity as my son feels the same but on the other side of the fence :( so no playing on the same games

Via Tapatalk

18. 1karl1

1karl1 Simracer

Yeah i agree , however much realism you can cram into a sim i never want it to be 100% authentic and have to climb into some contraption from a saw film so i actually get injured when i crash , also by supporting codemasters maybe dirt 4 will happen and be more rally orientated .

19. Niki Đaković

Niki Đaković Hardcore Simmer

As soon as you see sim anywhere in mention you're in for using your wheel. But when you have such review of wheel feel you quickly realize its not playable with wheel. This is why I'm waiting for a proper driving arcade. Say driving club might finally fit in when it hits the market. My keyboard will be happy.

20. Besides AC I've got Need For Speed Shift / Shift 2 Unleashed / A bunch of SimBin titles/ Grand Prix Legends / Nascar 2003 / All Gran Turismo titles.
    If I buy a new racegame/sim it has to be better than the ones I've got, or I'd rather fire up one of the games I've got already. Nothing snobbery here. :)

21. Ben Lee

Ben Lee Alien

I don't know how Codies get away with releasing these kind of games year after year.