1. Do you need support for Assetto Corsa Competizione? Please use the proper forum below and ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Logs" folder in your c:\users\*youruser*\AppData\Local\AC2\Saved. The "AppData" folder is hidden by default, check "Hidden items" in your Windows view properties. If you report a crash, ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Crashes" folder in the same directory. Do not post "I have the same issue" in an existing thread with a game crash, always open your own thread. Do not PM developers and staff members for personal troubleshooting and support.
  2. As part of our continuous maintenance and improvements to Assetto Corsa Competizione we will be releasing small updates on a regular basis during the esports season which might not go through the usual announcement process detailing the changes until a later version update where these changes will be listed retrospectively.
  3. If ACC doesn't start with an error or the executable is missing, please add your entire Steam directory to the exceptions in your antivirus software, run a Steam integrity check or reinstall the game altogether. Make sure you add the User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione folder to your antivirus/Defender exceptions and exclude it from any file sharing app (GDrive, OneDrive or Dropbox)! The Corsair iCue software is also known to conflict with Input Device initialization, if the game does not start up and you have such devices, please try disabling the iCue software and try again. [file:unknown] [line: 95] secure crt: invalid error is a sign of antivirus interference, while [Pak chunk signing mismatch on chunk] indicates a corrupted installation that requires game file verification.
  4. When reporting an issue with saved games, please always zip and attach your entire User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione/Savegame folder, along with the logs and the crash folder (when reporting related to a crash).

Installation on ssd or sata hard drive?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat Room' started by the_meco, Dec 14, 2014.

1. the_meco

the_meco Alien

Hopefully someone can help me. I've just upgraded my PC and now have a SSD hard drive as my main boot drive and a separate SATA hd as a storage drive. Does anyone know if installing Assetto Corsa on SSD will make much difference performance wise to installing on SATA.

My SATA drive is a WD Black so it's SATA III with 6gb/s. If I'm not going to see much of a performance increase from installing AC on the SSD I would rather install on my storage drive to save space for applications that may get a better performance boost.

Cheers for any help!

2. Madsen

Madsen Hardcore Simmer

ssd is for achieve lower loading times and not for video rendering so it makes no difference

3. kevin.maatman

kevin.maatman Staff Member KS Dev Team

SSD Will make load times faster, the rest will stay morelike the same.

4. Nico01

Nico01 Hardcore Simmer

you'll see improvements only in loading the game files like the tracks

5. AC already loads fast enough that I didn't notice much difference when I installed it to my SSD.

McNappa and the_prodigy like this.
  6. the_meco

the_meco Alien

OK cheers for the advice. I'll put on SATA then as AC can get pretty big and loading times were never that bad to begin with.

Michael Hornbuckle likes this.
  7. Brownninja97

Brownninja97 Alien

loading times, sometimes it can increase fps, things like stuttering might be reduced, only a might.

8. Chris 576

Chris 576 Hardcore Simmer

Steam +games on my SATA drive, SSD for Windows etc.

McNappa and Michele Papis like this.
  9. Mogster

Mogster Alien

Games with annoyingly long load times, flightsims that sort of thing, benefit from SSD. Other games it really makes no difference in my experience, especially if you have lots of RAM available.

10. f_deutsch

f_deutsch Hardcore Simmer

OS on SSD, the rest on any good SATA3 hard drives.

11. demonized

demonized Simracer

i have mSATA (which is SATA-2 speed specifications) SSD, besides of reduce of loading times, there is no differences, so if this important for you, you can install corsa there.

12. jim jones

jim jones Simracer

What size is your ssd? I've gotta 120 and only use my PC for sim racing but filled up in no time (updates), ended in having to move steam games to my sata drive. No major difference in the loading times

13. the_meco

the_meco Alien

Mine is 500gb but I have a lot of large software I need which I think might benifit more from the speed boost. Seems the feeling is that it doesnt make much difference speed wise. I'm enjoying my PC taking 15 seconds to start up now instead of 15 min :)

Michael Hornbuckle likes this.
  14. I would install 3dsMax and Photoshop, plus whatever else you use for work on the SSD.

Chris 576 and the_meco like this.
  15. Spinelli

Spinelli Simracer

This is actually more complex than some think and can work both ways...Some games experience faster loading, some don't.

A. Many games are actually CPU limited during loading because they are extracting or uncompressing or whatever (I always confuse these terms) all sorts of compressed files in order to load the game/level. These situations will then have the CPU as the bottleneck therefore preventing, for the most part, your storage drive to make a relatively noticeable impact on the loading time. Then, when you load the track again, the files are all stored in you RAM anyways which is 100000 times faster than even an SSD.

B. If the game doesn't fall into the above category (much more CPU-speed dependent than storage drive speed dependent) than the SSD will definitely make a large difference compared to the HDD.

Basically someone needs to simply test the particular game. I haven't tested AC, but I remember someone, maybe 1.5 years ago doing this test with rFactor 2, and he had almost the exact same track-loading time. I believe that particular game falls under scenario "A", above.

P.S. SSDs can make a large difference if you're recording too. On 1920x1080 @ 30 FPS with a very small file size codec (Lagarith), my Samsung Spinpoint F3 is fine, but recording @ 5760x1080, it is the culprit of framerate drops, but with the SSD, I don't get the framedrops. I haven't tested the HDD @ 1920x1080 @ 60 FPS though, and I have a feeling the HDD won't be able to handle recording @ 1440P @ 60 FPS, which is my aim. Having said that, I have just bought 3 1TB WD Velociraptors which can achieve a sustained 600 Mb/s for both reads and writes - the top SSDs usually do 480-550 Mb/s - so no more SSD recording for me :)

Last edited: Dec 15, 2014
  16. vhz

vhz Racer

Switching from ramdisk to SSD, I think multiplayer races take some 50-80% longer to load.

17. Deh

Deh Racer

I installed AC at my SSD and the loading times difference is minimal.
    I recommend you to install AC at your HDD.

18. AJ McDaddy

AJ McDaddy Simracer

Changing this around slightly, I have 2 x 250gb SSD drives in my PC. I'm not running out of space but if things got tight do I get another SSD or get a large HDD instead? The SDDs are not RAIDed.

19. KillZoneGB

KillZoneGB Simracer

If money is no object and you want a SSD that costs twice ney thrice your system then I proudly present the
    Intel DC P3600 Series 2.0TB SSD PCI-e Adaptor Card Solid State Drive
    [​IMG]
    • Capacity: 2000GB
    • Sequential 4KB Read: 2600 MB/s
    • Sequential 4KB Write: 1600 MB/s
    • Random 4KB Read: 450,000 IOPS
    • Random 4KB Write: 56,000 IOPS.

Now for mere mortal`s like me,
    lets get back to earth,
    A good fast 1TB HDD would be the best and cheapest option.

Anyhoo :- AJ McDaddy, do what your gut feeling tells ya. it`s your money after all :)

20. AJ McDaddy

AJ McDaddy Simracer

LOL, I'm a mortal!

I got the SSD's in Black Friday deals so didn't pay 'too' much for them, but definitely a lot more than I would for one 512GB HDD.

I think that I'll probably go with a large HDD, as there's no point in keeping on throwing money at smaller SDDs if I'm not going to get any speed benefit I guess.