1. Do you need support for Assetto Corsa Competizione? Please use the proper forum below and ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Logs" folder in your c:\users\*youruser*\AppData\Local\AC2\Saved. The "AppData" folder is hidden by default, check "Hidden items" in your Windows view properties. If you report a crash, ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Crashes" folder in the same directory.
  2. FOR ASSETTO CORSA COMPETIZIONE: If you report issues with saved games, please always zip and attach your entire User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione/Savegame folder!
  3. If your game executable is missing, please add your entire Steam directory to the exceptions in your antivirus software, then run a Steam integrity check or reinstall the game altogether.

Is AC playable with a gamepad/controller?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat Room' started by Aplam, Jan 8, 2019.

Tags:
  1. Aplam

Aplam Rookie

I tried playing with a controller when I got ETS 2 a few years ago and the experience was horrid. Couldn't and still can't afford to invest in a wheel so I had to stick with keyboard and mouse.

Is it possible to play AC on a xbox 360 controller without having the car jerk left and right every time I move the analog? If not, then is AC playable with a mouse steering?

2. Similar Threads
    Forum Title Date
    ACC Troubleshooting Update 1.0.7 unplayable Aug 4, 2019
    ACC Troubleshooting unplayable sad to say that, but... Jul 30, 2019
    ACC Troubleshooting Unplayable game for me Jul 7, 2019
    ACC Troubleshooting This game is unplayable, crashes every time Jun 27, 2019
    ACC Multiplayer Mutiplayer Unplayable Jun 24, 2019
    ACC Troubleshooting Release Version: every MP race: Critical Error! Unplayable! May 31, 2019
    ACC General Discussions VR unplayable May 29, 2019
    ACC Troubleshooting 0.7.2 still unplayable, when racing against opponents Apr 13, 2019
    ACC Virtual Reality My config file now playable ACC Jan 24, 2019
    ACC Gameplay Will ACC be playable in Mac iOs Mojave ? Dec 24, 2018
    ACC Virtual Reality Menu Bugs, Unplayable - Please help.. Dec 22, 2018
    ACC Troubleshooting Game unplayable everything resets if game is closed Dec 14, 2018
    Troubleshooting - Workarounds The game is unplayable Nov 25, 2018
    ACC Controls & Peripherals The game is unplayable with Dualshock 4 Nov 22, 2018
    ACC Gameplay ACC is unplayable due to invisibility of AI drivers and their behaviour Oct 24, 2018

3. Epistolarius

Epistolarius Alien

Since you're posting this here in the Competizione subforums I assume you mean ACC, not AC. Not sure why the thread is marked as bug... but anyway. I'd say from experience both AC/ACC are definitely playable with a controller (without any assists and even somewhat competitively) - with some adjustments needed depending on personal preferences, I personally can't drive well with the standard settings - though you'll obviously never get the same feedback, feel and control as you'd get with a good wheel & pedals with Force Feedback. But with enough experience the driving itself isn't an issue. The biggest issue IMHO with using gamepad controllers is that it's just too tiring for your hands to be consistently fast over, say, a whole hour stint/race. Also in ACC there's no button binding for gamepads yet.

(Btw. I would like to mention graphics performance, as that - latency first and foremost - has quite some impact on your ability to drive well regardless of controlling method used, better lower some settings and keep the frametimes low and any potential larger dips above a certain framerate. Stutter - not having a consistent frametiming - would be another concern.)

Last edited: Jan 8, 2019
    Vel likes this.
  4. To be honest, this licence without a wheel and pedals is quite unplayable. If you want to play a game with controllers of 360, it is better to go for Forza 7 (I have it).

I tried to play it with the 360 controller, and I can say it is a “meh”. And I tried with a mouse and it felt even was worse.

To conclude, if you buy AC (or any sim) include the wheel in the budget. Or buy another game.

5. Vel

Vel Racer

I absolutely love AC with a 360 controller. I can't imagine using it with a steering wheel. Perhaps for drifting with pedals. But for normal driving, and racing? 360 Controller all the way.

The controller provides an acute sense of absolute control and insanely extreme precision (driving is like a zen experience with a 360 pad - you delicately touch the controller and merely think about the direction you want to go. The controller does the rest), as well as the rumble - a great faux-wheel/driving feedback which reflects the engine's RPM using the legacy-code assetto_corsa.ini option. The current 'default' set up is... less than ideal and lacks engine rumble (which doubles nicely as a faux road-feel as you would otherwise sense in an actual car's steering wheel)

6. Cote Dazur

Cote Dazur Alien

Definitely playable.

7. Alistair McKinley

Alistair McKinley Hardcore Simmer

AC is easily playable with a gamepad. (edit: I didn't have to calibrate or set up my xbox 360 controller. It worked just right out of the box.)
    Sometimes - when I want to test something (e.g. a mod) and I am too lazy to set up my wheel - I use a gamepad. And it works fine - even though I prefer the wheel.