1. Do you need support for Assetto Corsa Competizione? Please use the proper forum below and ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Logs" folder in your c:\users\*youruser*\AppData\Local\AC2\Saved. The "AppData" folder is hidden by default, check "Hidden items" in your Windows view properties. If you report a crash, ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Crashes" folder in the same directory. Do not post "I have the same issue" in an existing thread with a game crash, always open your own thread. Do not PM developers and staff members for personal troubleshooting and support.
  2. As part of our continuous maintenance and improvements to Assetto Corsa Competizione we will be releasing small updates on a regular basis during the esports season which might not go through the usual announcement process detailing the changes until a later version update where these changes will be listed retrospectively.
  3. If ACC doesn't start with an error or the executable is missing, please add your entire Steam directory to the exceptions in your antivirus software, run a Steam integrity check or reinstall the game altogether. Make sure you add the User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione folder to your antivirus/Defender exceptions and exclude it from any file sharing app (GDrive, OneDrive or Dropbox)! The Corsair iCue software is also known to conflict with Input Device initialization, if the game does not start up and you have such devices, please try disabling the iCue software and try again. [file:unknown] [line: 95] secure crt: invalid error is a sign of antivirus interference, while [Pak chunk signing mismatch on chunk] indicates a corrupted installation that requires game file verification.
  4. When reporting an issue with saved games, please always zip and attach your entire User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione/Savegame folder, along with the logs and the crash folder (when reporting related to a crash).

Is ACC going to run worse on AMD cards?

Discussion in 'ACC Hardware Discussions' started by ShimonART, Aug 12, 2018.

1. LeDude83

LeDude83 Alien

2. Deatroy

Deatroy Alien

Like as expected, sadly.
    Its UE4, nvidia always wins there.
    Vega 64 equally to 770 is "ouch".
    In AC1 AMD was also performing worse than Nvidia with an optimised driver.
    My old Fury Nano got beaten by slower nvidia cards (970 as example).
    Thats why I did go for an laptop 1070.

Gesendet von meinem HTC One mit Tapatalk

3. Daniel Costa

Daniel Costa Racer

I loved my vega but I didn't hesitate when the chance appeared to switch to a 1080ti for the same price. AMD drivers and menus are great, but I was tired of some games where the framerates dips into a crawl in CPU intensive scenes. The dropout in blackops4 blackout mode made the fps fall into the 40's, and the 1080ti in the same situation does 100fps. But in benchmarks, you can see AMD cards toe-to-toe of nvidia

In VR its all about CPU in all simulators. The switch from vega64 to 1080ti made a huge jump in performance because driver cpu overhead was removed. I remember Vega64 basically idling at 30% when the framerates were dropping down to 50fps! it was doing nothing! with AMD the drivers MUST be optimized or else situations like AC1 and ACC happen, where the devs dont even bother to profile the game with an AMD card and try to mitigate the issue. Do the devs even contact AMD to search for optimizations? I very much doubt so.

Deatroy and LeDude83 like this.
  4. LeDude83

LeDude83 Alien

I can't quite second that for AC1. With everything cranked to the max, my system performed more or less on par with a 1070 TI, which should be just slightly slower than my Vega 64.

5. Deatroy

Deatroy Alien

I think i got the same Problem as Daniel Costa described above.
    Normally Nano plays against GTX980 and is easily faster than 1060.
    But my framerate dropped always here and there and wasn't that high as expected.
    Friends and league drivers with same I7 3770/4770 + GTX 970 had always higher graphics + framerates than me with I7 3770 and Nano in AC1.
    Anyway Nano died due VRAM Problem and i switched to six cores.

Gesendet von meinem HTC One mit Tapatalk

6. LeDude83

LeDude83 Alien

In general, it's acceptable for me personally that AMD runs worse than NVidia - I even expected that when upgrading. But what we currently have seems to be completely out of proportion. Should the Vega 64 End up 20% lower than a 1080 that's bad but not horrible. But Vega 64 on par with a 770 and easily beaten by a 970 isn't acceptable IMO.

7. LeDude83

LeDude83 Alien

8. LeDude83

LeDude83 Alien

Sigh...the GPU-focussed benchmark shows a different result, again :oops:

Can the AMD GPU users please run the benchmark and post their results?

https://www.assettocorsa.net/forum/index.php?threads/the-acc-gpu-benchmark-thread.53426/page-2

We have very few AMD results so far but I like to collect more to get somewhat reliable statistic data. I can then approach AMD with that and request an ACC-optimized driver.

Deatroy likes this.
  9. LeDude83

LeDude83 Alien

Double Post

10. LeDude83

LeDude83 Alien

Ok, so I approached AMD with the below text. Didn't bother translating it for now.

@AC Support could you please give us some sort of statement regarding optimization perspective for AMD GPUs? I think you were tagged several times on this but never replied. Even if the answer is "There's nothing we can do." it would be fair to react to this question somehow.
    It must surely be in Kunos' best interest to provide good performance for both GPU brands. AMD keeps being popular due to good value in the Polaris series and also through the benefit of FreeSync monitors being way cheaper than GSync ones. Good performance levels on AMD cards will certainly be very beneficial for your sales.

Looking at my 2 threads, it seems to solidify that at the moment AMD GPUs underperform pretty badly in ACC.

https://www.assettocorsa.net/forum/...cc-benchmark-thread.53257/page-5#post-1010965

https://www.assettocorsa.net/forum/...pu-benchmark-thread.53426/page-2#post-1010968

Here's the support request currently active with AMD. I attached the table from my GPU benchmark thread.

After_Midnight, Deatroy and pons like this.
  11. Deatroy

Deatroy Alien

Well Google Translator is your friend:

Sag ich ja mit der Nano lief es genauso bescheiden damals in AC1 :)
    Gleiche Problem nun mit der Vega.

Say ya, with the R9 Nano it was just as modest in AC1 :)
    The same problem now with the Vega.

In VR its even worse.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2018
  12. LeDude83

LeDude83 Alien

@liakjim let's continue here and not in the GPU benchmark thread.

I made a support request towards AMD through the official AMD website. A German support guy has already answered but it's not a really good answer IMO. Basically, he referred to the software dev's responsibility to optimize the game.
    In my answer, I partly agreed with him but also brought forwards that it's not the software dev alone but of course also the GPU manufacturer. NVidia - although with unlikeable market strategies - is doing this right IMO: releasing drivers that were checked for good performance with specific games.
    I tried to encourage him to really beat the drum for the driver team to do the same but what can I do?!? Not much. You can open an official request ticket, yourself. If many are open, the topic might gain importance for AMD.

BTW: He also asked for other titles and if the performance of my Vega was satisfactory, here. I mentioned my other 2 main games World of Tanks and AC and the Vega underperforms in both. In AC I made a comparison to a guy with a 1070 Ti: 270 AVG FPS for NVidia vs. 170 AVG FPS AMD is the result.

In World of Tanks, my mate's 1060 6GB achieves an AVG of 120 FPS, my old Fury Nitro (should have been some 10 % better ) only managed ~85 FPS AVG. My Vega now can do ~130 FPS AVG.

So I told him all of that and that AMD needs to get their act together because with such strong competition, they might lose their customerbase otherwise.
    As it stands now, there's absolutely no reason to buy a Polaris GPU for ACC - the performance of the strongest model 580 is way below a 1060 - 22 % and with the settings from the GPU benchmark thread not even enjoyable with a FreeSync monitor. Vegas are only an interesting option if you're a sucker for FreeSync. Replacing my monitor +GPU with an equivalent NVidia/GSync duo would cost me 1000 €.

After_Midnight and liakjim like this.
  13. Jynnantonix

Jynnantonix Simracer

Would be good to hear from a Kunos staff member to hear what the prospects are for AMD optimization.

14. LeDude83

LeDude83 Alien

Devs were tagged ad nauseum and never replied. They have other stuff to do right now I guess. Still, a reply would be nice.

So what other UE4 titles are there with benchmark data? Maybe some dev already has a well-optimised game.

15. NeRo2

NeRo2 Gamer

The Vanishing of Ethan Carter might be interesting for you. The old version which used the Unreal Engine 3 was redone in the Redux version with the Unreal Engine 4 few years later AFAIK.

But I dont know if the old version is still available somewhere.

Gesendet von meinem LG-H870 mit Tapatalk

16. nfsw55

nfsw55 Hardcore Simmer

You're right, in most current games the RX 580 is on par with the GTX 1060 or even slightly better.
    I just bought my RX580 last week, although I knew that it probably runs slower in ACC than it's Nvidia counterpart (which was proven right in your GPU benchmark thread). My decision to buy the AMD card ultimately came due to the price-performance ratio. My card was 70€ cheaper than the 1060 and I got two up to date top notch games on top of it. With my current ingame setings (mostly on high, few settings on epic, 1920x1200 resolution) I'm getting around 60-70 fps with AI cars around me and in the dark, which isn't that bad either
    Furthermore I still hope that AMD or Kunos are able to improve the perf

Last edited: Nov 30, 2018
    LeDude83 likes this.
  17. LeDude83

LeDude83 Alien

In his second reply the guy pretty much gave me the finger. He said he researched online and found that the FPS numbers I mentioned are the same for other Vega 64 users, lol. Completely ignoring that he didn't know the settings I used (I can possibly run a 760 at 130 AVG FPS in WOT when I lower the settings) and that the direct competitors perform a lot better.

But he sent me an interesting link where driver issues can be reported:

https://www.amdsurveys.com/se/5A1E27D23A3DE966

I took a brief look and a combination of "Application/Game" and "Poor Performance" can be selected from a drop-down menu. It's what I'll be reporting and what I encourage every other AMD GPU user on this forum to do. Software teams often value the severity of an issue not by the issue itself but by the number of reports - only few reports? No need to work on that.

So please report the issue and tag all AMD GPU users you know to do the same.

I think on the AMD side that's all we can do. Worth a try for sure.

Boyracer, nfsw55, NeRo2 and 1 other person like this.
  18. Boyracer

Boyracer Rookie

Hello,

Is there any improvements ?

For the moment i'm playing on a gtx 950, I can get an AMD r9 290x for 30 euros (80 euros - 50 euros from selling my GTX). Worth it ? (Acc will be 80% of my playing time).
    Will be sad if i get lower perf...
    (CPU : i7 4790k, freesync monitor).

Regards,

Adrien

19. Metallurgy-TR

Metallurgy-TR Rookie

I have r9 380. It is almost same performance r9 290x and i can play all settings"medium" - full hd. if you use ai (min 10) then the game is being terrible. I think you have to buy min. gtx 1060.

Boyracer likes this.