1. Do you need support for Assetto Corsa Competizione? Please use the proper forum below and ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Logs" folder in your c:\users\*youruser*\AppData\Local\AC2\Saved. The "AppData" folder is hidden by default, check "Hidden items" in your Windows view properties. If you report a crash, ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Crashes" folder in the same directory. Do not post "I have the same issue" in an existing thread with a game crash, always open your own thread. Do not PM developers and staff members for personal troubleshooting and support.
  2. As part of our continuous maintenance and improvements to Assetto Corsa Competizione we will be releasing small updates on a regular basis during the esports season which might not go through the usual announcement process detailing the changes until a later version update where these changes will be listed retrospectively.
  3. If ACC doesn't start with an error or the executable is missing, please add your entire Steam directory to the exceptions in your antivirus software, run a Steam integrity check or reinstall the game altogether. Make sure you add the User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione folder to your antivirus/Defender exceptions and exclude it from any file sharing app (GDrive, OneDrive or Dropbox)! The Corsair iCue software is also known to conflict with Input Device initialization, if the game does not start up and you have such devices, please try disabling the iCue software and try again. [file:unknown] [line: 95] secure crt: invalid error is a sign of antivirus interference, while [Pak chunk signing mismatch on chunk] indicates a corrupted installation that requires game file verification.
  4. When reporting an issue with saved games, please always zip and attach your entire User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione/Savegame folder, along with the logs and the crash folder (when reporting related to a crash).

Is FOV only half the equation?

Discussion in 'ACC General Discussions' started by Skyflexion, Nov 30, 2018.

1. Skyflexion

Skyflexion Rookie

I should start with the context that I use a 65" TV for my sim rig and the distance from my eyes to the center of the screen is 83 cm. The mathematically correct FOV in this case is about 52 degrees. However, that has never quite felt right, though I knew it's supposed to be. Across many games, the thing that always threw me off was the relative size of the cars around me and to a lesser extent the track itself (never really driven on a track). More than those two, it bothered me that the size of the virtual steering wheel was so much bigger than the 30 cm wheel I was holding.

In my quest to address this, last evening I decided to really fiddle with the height and distance settings within the view settings. My objective was to change those settings and make it so that the virtual wheel and hands fall (near) perfectly within the bounds of my own wheel and hands such that looking down the virtual wheel and hands get exactly overlapped by my actual wheel and hands.

Now, the thing that stood out the most with this change was that the relative size of everything got to be nearly perfect. It feels like an epiphany, especially racing against AI because I finally feel like there are real cars next to me and the width of the track is easier to perceive. The placement of each wheel at the apex and exit feels intuitive.

So my question is, is this how the view is supposed to actually be setup or am I having a moment of placebo? I've only ever read about FOV and seat movement being done "per taste". But it seems that the guidance should really be establish FOV based on the screen and in the cockpit view at least, to setup with the reference of the virtual wheel to have a realistic view. Any thoughts or inputs?

Maciej Malinowski likes this.

2. Similar Threads
    Forum Title Date
    ACC PS4/PS5/XB1/XBX/S General Discussions FFB and FOV Jul 20, 2023
    ACC User Interface Optimal Fov for curved monitor Mar 25, 2023
    ACC PS4/PS5/XB1/XBX/S General Discussions FOV Jun 14, 2022
    ACC PS4/PS5/XB1/XBX/S General Discussions FOV Jun 9, 2022
    ACC User Interface Can we get monitor curvature FOV adjustment like iRacing? May 22, 2022
    General modding discussion How to change Onboard FOV with python Mar 12, 2022
    ACC PS4/PS5/XB1/XBX/S General Discussions No 2021 Season, no FOV available Feb 24, 2022
    ACC Hardware Discussions Triple screen FOV setting tied to which view ? Feb 15, 2022
    ACC PS4/PS5/XB1/XBX/S General Discussions T300RS GT. FOV. Questions Jan 19, 2022
    ACC PS4/PS5/XB1/XBX/S General Discussions DEFAULT FOV? Dec 26, 2021
    ACC Virtual Reality New FHolger mod - foveated VR Dec 23, 2021
    ACC Graphics - Tracks and Cars Trees Dissapearing/Reappearing [Extreme FOV setup] Nov 29, 2021
    ACC Troubleshooting Enabling AMD FSR alters FOV [FSR disables projection correction] Nov 25, 2021
    XBox One Discussions FOV setting problem Sep 15, 2021
    ACC Hardware Discussions Gambled FOV, who can calculate this setup? Sep 8, 2021

3. WallyM

WallyM Alien

At the end of the day, the feeling of immersion and accuracy you get from a FOV setting is entirely subjective. Do whatever looks and feels good for you.

Personally, I do what you do. I make the drivers fist on the wheel the same size as my real fist.

4. Cote Dazur

Cote Dazur Alien

Once you get on the FOV path their is only one way out: VR

5. Skyflexion

Skyflexion Rookie

Thanks Wally, good to know I am not the only one thinking this! :)

@Cote Dazur I wish I had the stomach for VR or ready access to Odyssey+ to try out. But all in good time :)

sissydriver likes this.
  6. fnegroni

fnegroni Racer

I'm not sure I understand what you are saying, but in my case, I know that what matters to me the most is the track and sense of speed. Relative size of wheel/hands etc, is less relevant. Bear in mind that the game's default relative view point (driver helmet/eyes) could be different from your real point of view: some GT race cars have their seats set very low, and far back, with long steering racks. The steering wheel you use might be smaller or bigger than the one depicted by the game, your gloves might be less/more passed etc...
    You can set the FOV independently of the seat distance/pitch/height.

Perell0ne and LeDude83 like this.
  7. Skyflexion

Skyflexion Rookie

Fair enough, I understand what you mean and see that we're approaching this with different priorities. What I am trying to do is make the game's view align with my seating etc. so I can get as close to a 1:1 as real life, within the constraints of my screen and other equipment. The sense of speed then should also translate to 1:1 with IRL, which may or may not ultimately feel fast, but that's how it is real life as well. At least that's my guess!

8. fnegroni

fnegroni Racer

Absolutely, it's important that what you porioritise can be achieved in the game. I too will look at having a realistic view of the inside of the car, and I hope they will improve their camera positioning for dashboard, allowing to look left/right for that camera too, because right now it's not possible. Luckily with three screens that is less of an issue...

9. Skyflexion

Skyflexion Rookie

Actually that's something I must look at as well . . . Triples

10. ACC doesn't support triples well unfortunately; iRacing and AC do, iRacing uses Nvidia's SMP too so gets you better framerates, but either way, ACC does not and this is a bit of a problem: you can look at the centre monitor, and you will see a correct view of the front left and front right of the car (including rear view mirrors) but only to the extent that you don't turn your head too much, as at that point the view is quite distorted, and the bigger the vFOV you set in the game, the more the distortion becomes obvious and annoying. At 28 degrees FOV, it is acceptable, but then you must set the bezel values in your eyefinity/surround setup.
    I'm hoping as the product matures, they'll introduce proper triple screen support.

I have been a bit naughty recently and actually ordered an oculus rift, but I did try it before and I wasn't completely sold on it. I think it could make for some fun racing occasionally though so I might keep it in the box, and return it or open it over Xmas depending on how it goes...

But triples, even in the 'completely flat, 180 cm wide screen' setup required by ACC, is quite good for judging corners, and when they run at 120Hz, the image is so fluid!

ohyeah2389 likes this.
  11. LeDude83

LeDude83 Alien

Making the hands of the virtual driver as large as your RL hands is not quite "correct" because your RL hands are not in the screen but some 30 cms in front of it. If you do it like this it's like you're watching a driver from the backseat.

Correctly, you should get so close in a monitor setup that you don't even see the virtual wheel and hands. Just imagine what you'd see IRL at the distance of the screen in which "size". The instruments are a good reference.

12. Skyflexion

Skyflexion Rookie

Agree with you, and I am really trying here :) I use a SimLab P1 and have a 65" TV as right up against the vertical of the rig. Should I use a different view? So far the approach I have taken kinda made sense, as the rest of the "car" seemed to logically be in the right places, but that might be placebo. The challenge I have is if I try to use the display just for the dashboard with my wheel sticking out of it, it ends up looking too large at the 52 degree FOV. So I am not sure where the issue really is. Also, the TV is an OLED so static views i.e. the dashboard that does not move is a no-go . . .But if that's what I need then perhaps I need to switch to LCD.

13. Daniel Costa

Daniel Costa Racer

You have 54º horizontal with a 65" tv 80cm away to your eyes? I have 50º 63cm away from a 27" screen

https://andyf.me/fovcalc.html

You should have 82º horizontal according to this calc

ACC fov is horizontal as far as I can tell.

14. Skyflexion

Skyflexion Rookie

I understand from the other reading I've done that the FOV is vertical. So that's new information for me

15. DuckeyTapey

DuckeyTapey Hardcore Simmer

ACC FOV is vertical, same as in AC1, so 52° vertical FOV for a 65" screen 83cm away is correct.

Perell0ne likes this.
  16. LeDude83

LeDude83 Alien

Haha...you never stop learning ;-)

I'm sure it will look pretty realistic with the right FOV settings. The position/distance is the cherry on top but the biggest impact has the FOV, really.

17. PLebre

PLebre Hardcore Simmer

I am looking for the most immersive experience, trying to adjust Fov and distance so the cockpit looks like the real scale.
    Of course if you have a 27" monitor like me you will see a portion of it.
    I do have a Track IR that always use with flight sims, but I don't know why with racing sim never get use to. There's no big deal, after some practice and experience you will know how to turn even when you don't see all width.

My next upgrade will be one of those wide curved monitors.

Edited:
    Never the less I will wait for try ACC with the track IR. You never now!

Last edited: Dec 5, 2018
    LeDude83 likes this.
  18. Daniel Costa

Daniel Costa Racer

Vertical? If I use the vertical setting from that online calculator I have a completely different feeling than when I am in VR (which has the correct FOV). All sense of speed and distance is lost with the vertical fov.

are you guys sure?

19. LeDude83

LeDude83 Alien

Yes.

20. Skyflexion

Skyflexion Rookie

I spent a lot time last evening ensuring that I got my T300 as close to the screen as possible and had to make changes to my seat (ended up closer) and to my pedals (ended up farther out). I recalculated my FOV after this and used the approach I had outlined in my OP. That physical move opened up a few more degrees of FOV. The end result feels even better, and thanks to size of the screen, the track and sense of speed is also natural (AFAIK). For the time being, I am going to leave it as is and focus on getting faster!

Hagen and AurusCE like this.
  21. Coanda

Coanda Alien

I just changed from a 27" to a 42" screen which is 84 cm from my eyes. I tried the correct FOV of 35 deg however it was really weird, the corners look very strange to me. I settled on 55 deg which has helped me in the braking zones and wheel to wheel combat. I'm not knocking anyone, I just don't know how you guys drive like that..

I think the change was too drastic so maybe after a while i'll try again and see if the brain can compute whats going on...

Last edited: Sep 24, 2019