1. Do you need support for Assetto Corsa Competizione? Please use the proper forum below and ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Logs" folder in your c:\users\*youruser*\AppData\Local\AC2\Saved. The "AppData" folder is hidden by default, check "Hidden items" in your Windows view properties. If you report a crash, ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Crashes" folder in the same directory. Do not post "I have the same issue" in an existing thread with a game crash, always open your own thread. Do not PM developers and staff members for personal troubleshooting and support.
  2. As part of our continuous maintenance and improvements to Assetto Corsa Competizione we will be releasing small updates on a regular basis during the esports season which might not go through the usual announcement process detailing the changes until a later version update where these changes will be listed retrospectively.
  3. If ACC doesn't start with an error or the executable is missing, please add your entire Steam directory to the exceptions in your antivirus software, run a Steam integrity check or reinstall the game altogether. Make sure you add the User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione folder to your antivirus/Defender exceptions and exclude it from any file sharing app (GDrive, OneDrive or Dropbox)! The Corsair iCue software is also known to conflict with Input Device initialization, if the game does not start up and you have such devices, please try disabling the iCue software and try again. [file:unknown] [line: 95] secure crt: invalid error is a sign of antivirus interference, while [Pak chunk signing mismatch on chunk] indicates a corrupted installation that requires game file verification.
  4. When reporting an issue with saved games, please always zip and attach your entire User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione/Savegame folder, along with the logs and the crash folder (when reporting related to a crash).

Is RTX / Ray Tracing Completely Off the Table?

Discussion in 'ACC General Discussions' started by Exigeous, Feb 29, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Exigeous

Exigeous Rookie

Hoping we don't have to have another "RTX sux", etc. thread as I'm just looking for a simple answer to a simple question. Early on ACC was advertised as having RTX/Ray Tracing support heavily by NVidia with some video of the game with RTX on floating around, however I do see it has actually been removed from the pages on their site (where it did exist before). I asked in August of 2019 if it was still planned and sadly the thread turned into 4 pages of brutally toxic replies about RTX in general, etc. with finally one of the developers, Aristotelis chiming in with the following:

Our priority is to improve, optimize, and evolve all aspects of ACC. If after our long list of priorities the level of optimization of the title, and the maturity of the technology, permits a full blown implementation of RTX, we will gladly explore the possibility, but as of now there is no reason to steal development resources and time for a very low frame rate implementation.

So given they would "gladly explore the possibility" this left room for some hope this would be eventually added per the original promises back during Early Access. I fully understand features and priorities change and that RTX has it's issues around performance but some of us, likely a very tiny minority, only purchased ACC for this feature. Like me, they/I own every driving simulator on the market and wanted to see what one with RTX would be like.

So I'm just asking the very simple question - is RTX/Ray Tracing still on the list for some point or is it completely dead and will never happen? I'm not trying to argue the merits of it, like last time I'm trying to avoid pages of rage over a simple feature, I'm just curious if anyone has any factual information about it being added, that simple.

Original Thread (that is locked or I would reply there)
    https://www.assettocorsa.net/forum/...et-an-update-comment-about-rtx-support.59637/

Post with Aristotelis' response
    https://www.assettocorsa.net/forum/...t-about-rtx-support.59637/page-4#post-1081695

Again really hoping we can avoid a bunch of debate about the merits of the feature and can just answer if it's ever going to come or if it's been take off the table.

Thanks,

~Exigeous

Epistolarius likes this.

2. Similar Threads
    Forum Title Date
    ACC General Discussions Taking advantage of RTX Cards other than Raytracing? Oct 20, 2018
    ACC Virtual Reality RTX4090 PC build for VR Feb 17, 2023
    ACC Troubleshooting UE4-AC2 - Fatal error! In the middle of the practice / RTX4090 Jan 31, 2023
    ACC Virtual Reality Bad VR performance after upgraden 6900XT --> RTX4900 Dec 5, 2022
    ACC Virtual Reality [ACC] [VR] [OpenXR] [OpenComposite] High-clarity settings for HP Reverb G2 on Nvidia RTX3080 Nov 12, 2022
    ACC Virtual Reality RTX4090 settings Nov 2, 2022
    ACC Troubleshooting error rtx 4090 Oct 31, 2022
    ACC Hardware Discussions DLSS 3.0 for RTX 40 Series Oct 5, 2022
    ACC Troubleshooting FPS is low with new Graphicscard RTX 3080 Sep 6, 2022
    ACC Hardware Discussions Settings suggestion to play on Acer Nitro 5 57-76BF RTX 3060 Aug 16, 2022
    ACC Hardware Discussions Best settings for Nitro 5 with I7 11800H, RTX 3060 and 16 GB of Ram Jun 10, 2022
    ACC Virtual Reality 5800x3d @ 90 FPS, RTX 3090 bottlenecking Apr 25, 2022
    Troubleshooting - Workarounds RTX 3080ti Stutters Nov 4, 2021
    Chit Chat Room Quest 2 VR - RTX 3080 Settings Mar 9, 2021
    ACC Hardware Discussions AMD 5900X + RTX 3080, limiting factor? Monitoring data included. Jan 15, 2021

3. Epistolarius

Epistolarius Alien

I didn't buy ACC for raytracing features but given I intend to buy a RTX card next I'd be very interested in using those features if it makes sense from a performance standpoint. If it raytraced shadows improved shadow pop-in and DLSS improved anti-aliasing during movement it'd be a big plus in my book. Raytraced reflections would be the (expensive) cherry on top.

But RTX raytracing features utilise DXR, which is part of DirectX 12... which if I'm not mistaken means ACC would need to have a DirectX 12 client first (also something I had hoped would be implemented at release and didn't happen). Or Vulkan, which sadly they've already categorically ruled out.

4. Serge M

Serge M Alien

RTX on current hardware has been categorically ruled out, this has been asked and answered many times. The current hardware doesn’t REALLY support usable ray tracing. IF the next gen hardware, ie, Ampere, does bring the level of performance required then it will be looked at, this has also been made clear already.

Not sure what kind of answer you are looking for, it’s definitely not ruled out. But if we see it or not depends on unknowns so it’s a question that can’t be answered.

FelixR1991 and chksix like this.
  5. Slowbloke

Slowbloke Simracer

If quake 2 can only handle low fps it would decimate acc performance. Also although technically impressive it really isnt a major enhancement imo... you forget about it pretty quickly when playing.

6. Serge M

Serge M Alien

That’s because it’s implemented in very limited bits, for a sim there are heaps of great things, global illumination casting proper shadows over the whole circuit. This may even be better overall for performance then the current way shadows work.

Proper reflections, ie, mirrors is the other

7. Gevatter

Gevatter Alien

The short answer is: Don't hold your breath.

Coanda likes this.
  8. Exigeous

Exigeous Rookie

I asked this yesterday and with no explanation given the thread was locked for some reason - which I can't possibly understand. I've searched the forums for an official factual answer and the last word was back in August of 2019 - so if someone is going to lock it please just tell me and explain why?

Locked thread from yesterday
    https://www.assettocorsa.net/forum/...x-ray-tracing-completely-off-the-table.62989/

Quote from the original thread in August that is the reason for my question

Our priority is to improve, optimize, and evolve all aspects of ACC. If after our long list of priorities the level of optimization of the title, and the maturity of the technology, permits a full blown implementation of RTX, we will gladly explore the possibility, but as of now there is no reason to steal development resources and time for a very low frame rate implementation.

That original thread:
    https://www.assettocorsa.net/forum/...et-an-update-comment-about-rtx-support.59637/

And a comment from user "Serge M"

RTX on current hardware has been categorically ruled out

Can someone point me to where that's been stated, categorically? As I stated in my previous thread I'm in no way trying to start any kind of flame war or even discussion around RTX, I would just like to know the status of a feature that was heavily advertised, mostly by Nvidia, back in very Early Access and the primary reason I purchased ACC. I can't possibly understand how such a simple question would warrant a thread being locked, but if so I kindly ask for a reason for doing so.

Thanks,

~Exigeous

9. pankykapus

pankykapus KS Dev Team Staff Member KS Dev Team

Please don't keep opening new threads, there are existing threads on the topic.

FelixR1991 and seb 6th gear like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.