1. Do you need support for Assetto Corsa Competizione? Please use the proper forum below and ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Logs" folder in your c:\users\*youruser*\AppData\Local\AC2\Saved. The "AppData" folder is hidden by default, check "Hidden items" in your Windows view properties. If you report a crash, ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Crashes" folder in the same directory. Do not post "I have the same issue" in an existing thread with a game crash, always open your own thread. Do not PM developers and staff members for personal troubleshooting and support.
  2. As part of our continuous maintenance and improvements to Assetto Corsa Competizione we will be releasing small updates on a regular basis during the esports season which might not go through the usual announcement process detailing the changes until a later version update where these changes will be listed retrospectively.
  3. If ACC doesn't start with an error or the executable is missing, please add your entire Steam directory to the exceptions in your antivirus software, run a Steam integrity check or reinstall the game altogether. Make sure you add the User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione folder to your antivirus/Defender exceptions and exclude it from any file sharing app (GDrive, OneDrive or Dropbox)! The Corsair iCue software is also known to conflict with Input Device initialization, if the game does not start up and you have such devices, please try disabling the iCue software and try again. [file:unknown] [line: 95] secure crt: invalid error is a sign of antivirus interference, while [Pak chunk signing mismatch on chunk] indicates a corrupted installation that requires game file verification.
  4. When reporting an issue with saved games, please always zip and attach your entire User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione/Savegame folder, along with the logs and the crash folder (when reporting related to a crash).

Is setup so important?

Discussion in 'PlayStation 4 Discussions' started by Heath82, Sep 9, 2018.

1. Heath82

Heath82 Gamer

Hi guys, i love ac but i’m suck at setting up cars, so i just go with default setup (with no traction control), but I can’t deny i have troubles online, especially during qualifying.. i’m definitely slower, even though i do my best, my times are higher and I always start after 10th and this compromises my race.. so i have a one million dollars question: can i be competitive online even with default setup? If you say so, i’m gonna focus on improving myself, if you say that’s not enough, I’m gonna focus on the 3 parameters that make the difference: tyres, gears ratio and wings.. i’m not gonna even try to deal with camber, toe, sway bar, because i spent days to fix a ****ing understeering mid corner reading thousands guides and watching videos, but i just get my car worse, so i gave up on it.
    I’m playing on ps4, so i have no add-on for tyres pressure, well I really hope that you’re gonna say I don’t need any setup.. waiting your answers, thank you all in advance

2. Similar Threads
    Forum Title Date
    Graphics and Models/Tracks Bugs & Issues Editing screens individually, is it possible? Triple Monitor setup plugin. Apr 5, 2024
    ACC PS4/PS5/XB1/XBX/S General Discussions New To ACC and the setup on PS5 Nov 7, 2023
    ACC Tools ACC / OSR Setup Tool Web App (Open-Source-Racing.com) Aug 30, 2023
    ACC Tools ACC Setup Synchronizer May 26, 2023
    ACC PS4/PS5/XB1/XBX/S General Discussions All settings and setups vanished May 23, 2023
    ACC Tools Web-Based ACC Setup Tool for Sharing and Creating Setups May 11, 2023
    Screens & Videos ACC | Monza | HotLap + Setup | Ferrari 296 GT3 - 1:47.322 May 10, 2023
    Graphics and Models/Tracks Bugs & Issues Can you adjust monitors specifically for triple monitor setup? May 1, 2023
    ACC Hardware Discussions Motion not as smooth on side monitors as middle monitor - Triple Monitor Setup (with high FPS!) Mar 22, 2023
    ACC Troubleshooting Game briefly freezes and shows the setup screen during driving Feb 13, 2023
    ACC PS4/PS5/XB1/XBX/S General Discussions Generic car setups Feb 7, 2023
    ACC PS4/PS5/XB1/XBX/S General Discussions when are we getting the next Update ? Setups still broken Jan 13, 2023
    ACC Screenshots & Videos ACC - SETUP BUNDLE | ALL Tracks | Ferrari 488 GT3 EVO Jan 11, 2023
    Chit Chat Room Avis/conseils pour upgrader mon setup VR Dec 27, 2022
    XBox One Discussions Restore AC restore car default setup Dec 16, 2022

3. Thomas Gocke

Thomas Gocke Alien

short answer: No. I bet most people online use pretty much default setup.
    I would definitely spend the time on track instead of in the garage.

Of course it depends on the car and track. On Monza you surely want to lower the wings (if possible). In street cars you usually want to lower tire pressure and maximize camber, that's an easy gain of 0.5 sec.

Be assured, the fast guys will beat 90% of the people even if they use the default setup. On track skill is MUCH more a factor than setup. Of course, the more you get to the top of the board the more the setup will make a difference.

4. Heath82

Heath82 Gamer

So even using default gear ratio?

5. Alistair McKinley

Alistair McKinley Hardcore Simmer

You should adopt the gear ratio IMO on tracks where it is necessary. If you hit the limiter but the longest straight isn't over yet you suffer a big disadvantage.

When I race online I just change tyre pressure (when needed; in the older street cars from Kunos you have to decrease the tyre pressure by a lot e.g. the BMW M4) and gear ratio (when needed). If I know the track very well I also adjust wings, camber and ride height from time to time.
    When I realize, though, that I can be competetive (i.e. not being the slowest car on the track ;-) ) without changing the setup I don't change anything (because I want to have fun and a decent racing experience).

And yes: It's better to know or learn the track than spending ages with searching for the perfect setup - unless you want to set a new record, of course.
    Sometimes I watch how the fastest guys on a server drive and learn "new lines". That can help to gain a few tenths of a second (or even more).

For the rest I totally agree with what @Thomas Gocke wrote.

Wish you a lot of fun online! :)

6. Heath82

Heath82 Gamer

Ok then, i agree to set gear ratio up because it’s track dependent, maybe tyres pressure too but on ps4 i have no app to get right pressure, and i noticed that using the softest compound I‘ve never got hot tyres.

7. Nao

Nao Alien

I saw app for pressures on consoles. And they are probably the most important setup option to keep track on.

8. Heath82

Heath82 Gamer

App for pressure on console? Please tell me about

9. Nao

Nao Alien

I mean when i visited a friend with console he had pressures shown live while driving, no idea where do you turn it on.

10. Heath82

Heath82 Gamer

I have the game’s hud but it doesn’t give you the right pressure..

11. Nao

Nao Alien

Aaa that sucks, no idea if ideal pressures are available somewhere on consoles but all car's pressures are mentioned here and in general all gt2/3 run ~26 PSI pressure and dtm cars run 29.

12. Heath82

Heath82 Gamer

Ok, and road cars? And is it normal that I always use softest compound on gt3 and i get blue temperatures?

13. Nao

Nao Alien

Pressure on road cars will change with weight and tyre width... but for semis it usually is around 30-34. Lighter, more track oriented cars go closer (or even less) to 30 , family saloons use 34+.
    And no blue for gt3 is not great bu it depends, if it is a rear engined porsche (or some of the mclarens) it's quite difficult to keep front tyres hot and they will get blue no matter what. Light or even medium blue is not the end of the world, still plenty of grip to do good laptimes. If your pressures are at 26 live don't worry about temperature, everybody is in the same boat.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2018
  14. Heath82

Heath82 Gamer

Ok thanks, so about 26 psi on gt3/gt2, about 29 on lmp, about 30-34 on road cars. Ok got it. So pressure ok, gear ratio ok, now about wings, should i start from default and get lower as long as don’t oversteer, or start from the lowest value and get high?

15. Nao

Nao Alien

On most tracks you want max front downforce and as little as you can get away with on the rear. Tracks with long straights and slow corners (monza) will benefit from stiffer front sway-bar that will allow for even less rear wing. On the other hand fast corner tracks (mugello) will benefit from softer front sway and as much rear downforce as needed to be stable.

Also you mentioned mid corner grip earlier, if the car has good balance otherwise, try lowering coast differential, move brake balance rearwards and keep the car on the brakes deeper into the turn. I think tyres, gears, rear wing, front-sway, rear coast diff and brake balance are enough to get within 0.5 of a world record in most cases.

LATE4APEX and jaxx_za like this.
  16. LATE4APEX

LATE4APEX Alien

We seem to have very similar views on car setup Nao.
    I need the front to work, or I am not able to "race"

Really enjoy trail breaking into corners with rear brake bias and the diff coast setting lower, then feel the car rotate while turning in, and quickly dumping the throttle when I encounter understeer mid corner, especially with cold tires.

17. MrDeap

MrDeap Hardcore Simmer

To realize that he got the optimal tire pressure list for all the cars a long time ago & being trolled on Racedepartment. :D

It's all setup & exploit, little do with skill. ;)

Edge988 likes this.
  18. martcerv

martcerv Alien

Once and for all either prove this or go away, if what you say is true then we can pick any combo for you and you will set a record time. If you cant then your "exploits" and lack of skill theory is complete BS.

You say everyone faster then you is using exploits, you also say it takes no skill. You claim to know said exploits and made some ridiculous guide yet are unable to be very fast. If you post any time in any combo there will be hundreds of people here glad to tear your amazing lap time to shreds to show how wrong you are.

Ace Pumpkin and LATE4APEX like this.
  19. MrDeap

MrDeap Hardcore Simmer

It's a metaphor.

There's a large gap that is very easy to get with very simple advice, the rest come with practice. Like the AI isn't that hard, but there are tons of player struggling against them. Me, I give the tips to shorter that gap that allow to beat the AI easy. If you're so afraid to get owned, there's a lot of room for improvement.

The tips are so vague, often wrong(example a premium source driver61), misleading that most only practice just wrong & get nowhere, because it's not strictly based for a simulator.

If you stop complaining & just give a straight honest answer like @Nao does. It would make sense.

I repost again the very same list: https://www.assettocorsa.net/forum/index.php?threads/optimal-tire-pressure-and-temperature.44697/

20. martcerv

martcerv Alien

If its little to do with skill then practice is pointless as all it does is improve skill levels. Not sure how its a metaphore its just contradictory bs to reality and your own bs. :D

No idea why you think its important to keep saying that unless you can actually prove it like I asked. If you cant prove it then maybe stop spreading this disinfo.

Setup is not going to be worth more then 2 seconds on most combos and I dont know what exploits your speaking of. If someone is well off pace 5 to 10 seconds then surely practice, basic driving line and reference points to build skill is most important.

Again look back to the original quote and surely you can see what bs it is and how it contradicts your next post.

Ace Pumpkin likes this.
  21. MrDeap

MrDeap Hardcore Simmer

If you have the incorrect tire pressure along having incorrect alignment. Yep, it does do more than 2 sec. It's more like 4 to 10sec a lap easy, if you use driver61 trail braking method :D.

Tire pressure is part of the setup, because you mess with the setup screen.