1. Do you need support for Assetto Corsa Competizione? Please use the proper forum below and ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Logs" folder in your c:\users\*youruser*\AppData\Local\AC2\Saved. The "AppData" folder is hidden by default, check "Hidden items" in your Windows view properties. If you report a crash, ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Crashes" folder in the same directory. Do not post "I have the same issue" in an existing thread with a game crash, always open your own thread. Do not PM developers and staff members for personal troubleshooting and support.
  2. As part of our continuous maintenance and improvements to Assetto Corsa Competizione we will be releasing small updates on a regular basis during the esports season which might not go through the usual announcement process detailing the changes until a later version update where these changes will be listed retrospectively.
  3. If ACC doesn't start with an error or the executable is missing, please add your entire Steam directory to the exceptions in your antivirus software, run a Steam integrity check or reinstall the game altogether. Make sure you add the User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione folder to your antivirus/Defender exceptions and exclude it from any file sharing app (GDrive, OneDrive or Dropbox)! The Corsair iCue software is also known to conflict with Input Device initialization, if the game does not start up and you have such devices, please try disabling the iCue software and try again. [file:unknown] [line: 95] secure crt: invalid error is a sign of antivirus interference, while [Pak chunk signing mismatch on chunk] indicates a corrupted installation that requires game file verification.
  4. When reporting an issue with saved games, please always zip and attach your entire User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione/Savegame folder, along with the logs and the crash folder (when reporting related to a crash).

Joining mid race workaround

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by ears1991, Jan 28, 2015.

1. ears1991

ears1991 Alien

So letting people join mid race and just drive whilst others are racing is obviously chaos (people blindly flying out of the pits and wrecking the people in the race - maybe blue flags will help, but this idea is a better solution) in public MP so here is an idea that would be the best of both worlds.

allow joining during race, but when you join, you are invisible to all other cars, they are invisible to you, and of course non-collidable, so basically its just like hotlap mode, but youve reserved your slot for after the race finishes and the next session begins. the one good thing about being able to join mid race is that if you find a server with a slot with your preferred car track combo, assist setup etc, then you can get your slot regardless of if people are racing. also i think this will be good in terms of server population, as blocking people joining mid race might end up with more half filled servers than filled ones, because of how people filter in during quali and race, and drop after race... cutting the amount of time available to join in half (by blocking join mid race) might lead to the aforementioned.

2. Similar Threads
    Forum Title Date
    ACC Troubleshooting UE4 Fatal Error 1.9 when joining certain servers Apr 21, 2023
    ACC PS4/PS5/XB1/XBX/S General Discussions Acc ps5 crashes when creating or joining multiplayer Feb 21, 2023
    Multiplayer Bugs & Issues Server joining bug Oct 7, 2022
    ACC Troubleshooting The game showing Fatal error! and crashing when joining a specific online server May 3, 2022
    ACC Multiplayer Question regarding joining a EU league while living in USA Jun 16, 2021
    ACC General Discussions How to know if you're good or not? (Joining a league) May 16, 2021
    ACC Troubleshooting Stutter/microlags when ppl joining servers Apr 11, 2021
    ACC Troubleshooting Game crashes after rejoining server with different car [Linux server not removing stale car entry] Feb 15, 2021
    Multiplayer Bugs & Issues crash while joining my own server Sep 11, 2020
    ACC PS4/PS5/XB1/XBX/S General Discussions Joining friends online works if you can’t join the multiplayer servers Jul 1, 2020
    ACC Multiplayer MP Joining Rework Jun 26, 2020
    Troubleshooting - Workarounds Joining a race just prior to race start Jun 4, 2020
    ACC Troubleshooting ACC Crashing joining a game - ECCI 7000 May 21, 2020
    ACC Troubleshooting Joining CP Race causes UE4 crash May 15, 2020
    ACC Multiplayer MP race missing front tyre after joining server Apr 20, 2020

3. Vítor Sousa

Vítor Sousa Alien

Thats nonsense.

What should be implemented is server option to allow mid race join or not.

And people forget this is a good thing for endurance racing, when the game is ready for it, so people can join after disconects or even do driver switches.

4. ears1991

ears1991 Alien

what how is it nonsense. fair point on endurance racing, but thats less than 1% of players, for the 99% that play public, this is surely better than just blockimg people joining mid session. you get to reserve your slot and than hotlap while you wait for the race to end, without ruining others race.

we are already very likely to be getting the server option to block it, but how is this not better

5. Rigel

Rigel Alien

The easiest thing would be allow everyone to join at any time, but in race you can't get on track. No need to reinvent the wheel imho.

6. Vítor Sousa

Vítor Sousa Alien

I would find silly to go on track being a ghost and going through other drivers. If I want to play trackmania I'll just go and play trackmania

7. ears1991

ears1991 Alien

yes that also crossed my mind, but sitting in the pits for 10 laps with nothing to do isnt everyones cup of tea, so this is just a simple way of allowing players to hotlap that track/car combo until the race finishes

thats not what im suggesting, its simply a way of being able to hotlap whilst you wait for the next race, presented in a way that could be easily implemented with minimal effort needed from the devs, as its just a case of hiding you from everyone else, and hiding everyone else from you, with collisions between you and everyone else off.

8. Guy Moulton

Guy Moulton Racer

It's insane to have this system the way it is now.

There needs to be an option when an admin sets up a server to make Quali and Race either open or closed. No other choice is acceptable. Right now AC cannot be a serious sim online- it's good to play, but not for serious racing.

The OP's idea is better than the current system, but it is not acceptable IMHO. Bandwidth for the racers should not be sapped by race crashers. IMHO anyone who joins a race in progress is an inconsiderate *****le, I don't want that leach sucking off the bandwidth I need to race.

9. Quffy

Quffy Alien

There's nothing wrong joining an ongoing race, because you want to fill a space for when the race finishes and the qualification starts. There's nothing wrong with it, so that should be allowed and shouldn't be seen as a sin for joining during an ongoing race. But obviously it shouldn't be possible to leave your pit spot until the next session starts. But when a player from the race disconnects for whatever reason, the server should save the log and allow him to rejoin the race. But not allow players who weren't previously participating in that race session.

ears1991 and Rift Racer like this.
  10. dauntless

dauntless Alien

I think it is just beneficial to allow people to drive the combo as much as possible. This option suggested in the op allows people to host race-only server for example where the server just goes from race to race. Or short quali in between. And longer races. When mid race joiners can be controlled so that they simply can't physically cause wrecks it is just a nice thing to have with no downsides. If you don't like you don't need to turn it on.

I've suggested this same thing earlier and I think having this kind of setting would help certain type of servers a lot. For example servers that run long races with maybe even pitstops. If you turn off midrace join altogether you end up in a situation where people just can't join your server when the race is going on. This makes it really really difficult to get enough people in to even think about having a race. Other option is to allow people to join but not join the track during the race. The downside is that you have now people who have been sitting and watching for maybe 10 minutes, maybe even 20 or more minutes. Then they are just thrown in without any chance of practise laps. Chaos ensues.

There is of course the option to create a pit out light with penalty. So if the game see a car going on the track near the pit exit light turns to red. Drive on to the track when there is a red pit exit light and you get a penalty or you are auto spectated.

ears1991 likes this.
  11. ears1991

ears1991 Alien

well we will almost definitely get an option for blocking mid race join alltogether but i feel this will lead to the issues described below by dauntless. id rather have populated public servers with people able to join mid race at the cost of some bandwidth (as long as they cant ruin the race by being on track, so either keep them in the pits, or allow them to hotlap as i described.

edit: with this idea the position updating could potentially be disabled until a message is received from the server saying the race has ended, removing the bandwidth leeching, giving the best of both worlds

couldnt have put it better myself. i think we will see servers blocking mid race join with v1.1 and i guess we will have to see how it pans out in terms of server population, maybe itll work out for the best but id be surprised.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2015