1. Do you need support for Assetto Corsa Competizione? Please use the proper forum below and ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Logs" folder in your c:\users\*youruser*\AppData\Local\AC2\Saved. The "AppData" folder is hidden by default, check "Hidden items" in your Windows view properties. If you report a crash, ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Crashes" folder in the same directory. Do not post "I have the same issue" in an existing thread with a game crash, always open your own thread. Do not PM developers and staff members for personal troubleshooting and support.
  2. As part of our continuous maintenance and improvements to Assetto Corsa Competizione we will be releasing small updates on a regular basis during the esports season which might not go through the usual announcement process detailing the changes until a later version update where these changes will be listed retrospectively.
  3. If ACC doesn't start with an error or the executable is missing, please add your entire Steam directory to the exceptions in your antivirus software, run a Steam integrity check or reinstall the game altogether. Make sure you add the User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione folder to your antivirus/Defender exceptions and exclude it from any file sharing app (GDrive, OneDrive or Dropbox)! The Corsair iCue software is also known to conflict with Input Device initialization, if the game does not start up and you have such devices, please try disabling the iCue software and try again. [file:unknown] [line: 95] secure crt: invalid error is a sign of antivirus interference, while [Pak chunk signing mismatch on chunk] indicates a corrupted installation that requires game file verification.
  4. When reporting an issue with saved games, please always zip and attach your entire User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione/Savegame folder, along with the logs and the crash folder (when reporting related to a crash).

Kunos... please... stahp updating livery preview pics

Discussion in 'Chit Chat Room' started by Chazz Ranger, May 25, 2016.

1. Chazz Ranger

Chazz Ranger Alien

Seriously, I love you guys and everything you do, and I'm not one to complain about regular updates... but don't you have more important things to do besides "improve" livery previews for the hundredth time? Every time I rearrange liveries how I want them, a new preview update (that, honestly, doesn't look any better than the previous "improvement") screws all my work up. Anyone else here that's OCD about modifying their AC files will probably agree, it's a massive pain for no real improvement. The livery previews are FINE. Please, leave them be...

Dutchyfutch, f1webberfan and AccAkut like this.

2. Similar Threads
    Forum Title Date
    ACC User Interface Kunos please implement Curved Monitors in "View Settings" Apr 27, 2023
    ACC Gameplay Hi Kunos, please never change this AI its fantastic Sep 8, 2019
    ACC Gameplay Kunos, please remove the Gallardo R-EX from the opponents list Jun 19, 2019
    ACC General Discussions Please Kunos "looktowheel" May 2, 2019
    Chit Chat Room Kunos, please: implement ASW 2.0 in AC for Rift users Apr 14, 2019
    ACC General Discussions Kunos, please: implement ASW 2.0 in AC for Rift users Apr 14, 2019
    Console Lounge kunos please fix classes Apr 2, 2018
    Suggestions Please Kunos, Xbox one X enhancements! Dec 26, 2017
    Steering wheels discussions Clubsport patch please Kunos? Jun 9, 2017
    Suggestions Hi, Lord Kunos! Please read and forward this detail to the relevant person. Very important! May 2, 2017
    Console Lounge Perspective VR, instead of full VR (Kunos please read) Mar 1, 2017
    XBox One Discussions Please kunos! 505! Feb 7, 2017
    Console Lounge "BMW M4 Akrapovic" / "Gallardo SL S3" - Please Kunos, we want them! Feb 4, 2017
    Chit Chat Room Please Kunos, a 919 template. Dec 27, 2016
    Chit Chat Room Please Kunos , patch the GT40 Dec 23, 2016

3. Epistolarius

Epistolarius Alien

Every AC patch runs iirc a file verification, all original files in the Steam game folder that got modified get changed back. That includes the livery previews that to my knowledge received their last major update with patch 1.5.

Would probably *be nice to implement a switch to turn that off somewhere. Or make files placed in the Documents folder override the game folder, something like that.

Edit: forgot a word*

Last edited: May 25, 2016
    Chazz Ranger and f1webberfan like this.
  4. f1webberfan

f1webberfan Simracer

The verification is necessary and the previews are kinda OK at the moment.
    So I perfectly understand the OP and I also understand Kunos why they need all their files to be identical.

I'm afraid this is half glass full situation.

But to have to choose which folders the game to verify ... please, that is too much.

hazardic and Epistolarius like this.
  5. Dutchyfutch

Dutchyfutch Hardcore Simmer

Only if they're missing they get replaced

6. AlleyViper

AlleyViper Alien

For what I remember (and you can blame me for pointing the devs of some of these issues), when liveries were updated in 1.5.0 with a new position and filter, but file sizes and compression were all over the place, so when the new tool came out at 1.5.x (5?), they received another overhaul to make them all to one standard. But wrong a filter was used so cars looked blurred, hence the overall update that came first with 1.6. In the last 1.6.2 patch the preview update was at least meant to fix a preview image that was left at 4K resolution (didn't notice changes on other cars), and the 370Z came with new previews surely because the 3D model was changed, it should have been very minor.

Your custom previews wouldn't be modified back just for failing verification, because patching won't do it for files it won't replace, but simply at those 3 major overhauls (1.5.0, 1.5.x, 1.6) the update put preview.jpg on those folders. But now that shouldn't need to be repeated, because what was meant at 1.5.0 seems now finally done (even if it took 3 tries that upset your work), except probably for cars that will suffer further 3d modifications (some in the Japanese Pack come to mind). IMHO, I prefer to have them looking the same as the cars ingame when they're updated. So after the last (probably definitive) overhaul, having them occasionally replaced also alerts you when your previews aren't also up to date on older cars.

As someone who also messes a lot with previews, my advise is to back up your custom previews. It's quite simple, a dumb way is to copy your cars folder to a temp folder, and run a batch file that will delete everything but preview.jpg files, and keep the file structure intact. By this way, you'll just need to copy them over if they become replaced, or if you reinstall your game from scratch. And it takes a lot less time to do than generating previews.

7. Aristotelis

Aristotelis Will it drift? Staff Member KS Dev Team

As a responsible for updating and keeping synchronised our various dev versions, I can only feel your pain! I say burn the skinners! Everytime I have to double check and synchronize thousands of files and 80% are skins and previews! I will ask for a raise :p :D :D

seriously I feel your pain, but you can't stop skinners from doing little changes (or Marco for asking those little changes)... I tried... I failed... :D

8. pankykapus

pankykapus KS Dev Team Staff Member KS Dev Team

Also burn me, because the previews need to be redone for a car when there's a noticeable change on the model. :p

9. AlleyViper

AlleyViper Alien

@Chazz Ranger
    Here's a way for you to backup your previews:

Go to assettocorsa\content\, copy (don't move!) "cars" to , as an example, d:\previews, so you'll end up with d:\previews\cars\<all car folders you had ingame>
    Then, inside d:\previews place the following text in a delete.bat text file.

Code:
    for /R %%i in (animations) do rd /s/q "%%i"
    for /R %%i in (sfx) do rd /s/q "%%i"
    for /R %%i in (texture) do rd /s/q "%%i"
    for /R %%i in (ui) do rd /s/q "%%i"
    FOR %f IN (*.*) DO IF NOT [%f]==[preview.jpg] DEL /Q %f

By running it, almost every file under d:\previews\...\ will be deleted, except for the preview.jpg files under their correct <car>\skins\<skin name> folder structure. Then you can just zip the cars folder to backup current preview.jpgs, and paste over when needed.
    You can of course use it also to clean a single car folder added later to it.
    Hope it helps!

PS: If anyone knows a more elegant solution to just copy preview.jpgs while preserving their structure please let me know of it!

10. AlleyViper

AlleyViper Alien

Argh, can't edit the previous post anymore. I was trying to simplify it in the last minute it but it doesn't work as intended (tested on an already clean folder, doh).
    Please use this instead, it's less elegant but should cover most other files:
    Code:
    for /R %%i in (animations) do rd /s/q "%%i"
    for /R %%i in (sfx) do rd /s/q "%%i"
    for /R %%i in (texture) do rd /s/q "%%i"
    for /R %%i in (ui) do rd /s/q "%%i"
    del *.acd /s
    del *.db /s /ah
    del *.dat /s
    del *.dds /s
    del *.png /s
    del *.ini /s /ah
    del *.json /s
    del *.kn5 /s
    del *.knh /s
    del *.ksanim /s
    del *.pdf /s
    del *.psd /s
    del *.txt /s
    del preview_original.jpg /s
    del original_preview.jpg /s

Again, take much care to run this batch only inside where you have your copied cars folder for cleaning, as it'll massively delete files under the folder its in, and all following subfolders.

11. Chazz Ranger

Chazz Ranger Alien

No, and that's also a large part of the problem - most files in a folder where an update occurs will get overwritten back to their original :(
    For example, I modify livery licence plates, they get reverted back to originals with every livery update. I modify car shadows, they get reverted back with every car update. I modify many files in system/cfg, the all get reverted back to original with any update to that folder... etc.
    Clearly I need to stop tinkering so much :D

12. Dutchyfutch

Dutchyfutch Hardcore Simmer

Clearly ac needs to have a feature to turn that off I didn't know that

13. Chazz Ranger

Chazz Ranger Alien

Really, it's a small price to pay for having a sim with such moddability that I can fine-tune so many details to my own liking. It's only an hour of my time at most, depending on the update, to put everything back the way I want it. I have all my modded files backed up obviously, so usually I can just copy/paste/overwrite stuff, depending on what changes KS made :cool:

14. clamb

clamb Rookie

If you're in the cars folder (will also create cars folder on D: )

Code:
    xcopy *preview.jpg d:\cars\*.* /s
    From anywhere (assuming steam path is default)

Code:
    xcopy "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\assettocorsa\content\cars\*preview.jpg" d:\cars\*.* /s

AlleyViper likes this.
  15. AlleyViper

AlleyViper Alien

But of course! I completely forgot that a simple xcopy would replicate the original dir structure instead of overwriting source /s preview.jpgs repeatedly in the root of the destination folder. Thanks!

16. Chazz Ranger

Chazz Ranger Alien

[​IMG]

AccAkut and f1webberfan like this.
  17. AlleyViper

AlleyViper Alien

[​IMG]
    Give me a break :p, I haven't needed to use xcopy in the last 20 years, while the regular copy has seen much more use to replace things at a specific location.

18. Chazz Ranger

Chazz Ranger Alien

No problem :) Thanks, although you're waaay more computer saavy than I am. All your posts on this thread went so far over my head NASA is currently calculating their reentry trajectory :D
    Guess I should start learning how batch files work...

AlleyViper likes this.
  19. AlleyViper

AlleyViper Alien

I've been redoing some of my batches for reorganizing my stuff, so I'll PM you some instructions in a bit that should make these batches more clear. I guess it'd be way OT to continue in this thread. :D