1. Do you need support for Assetto Corsa Competizione? Please use the proper forum below and ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Logs" folder in your c:\users\*youruser*\AppData\Local\AC2\Saved. The "AppData" folder is hidden by default, check "Hidden items" in your Windows view properties. If you report a crash, ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Crashes" folder in the same directory. Do not post "I have the same issue" in an existing thread with a game crash, always open your own thread. Do not PM developers and staff members for personal troubleshooting and support.
  2. As part of our continuous maintenance and improvements to Assetto Corsa Competizione we will be releasing small updates on a regular basis during the esports season which might not go through the usual announcement process detailing the changes until a later version update where these changes will be listed retrospectively.
  3. If ACC doesn't start with an error or the executable is missing, please add your entire Steam directory to the exceptions in your antivirus software, run a Steam integrity check or reinstall the game altogether. Make sure you add the User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione folder to your antivirus/Defender exceptions and exclude it from any file sharing app (GDrive, OneDrive or Dropbox)! The Corsair iCue software is also known to conflict with Input Device initialization, if the game does not start up and you have such devices, please try disabling the iCue software and try again. [file:unknown] [line: 95] secure crt: invalid error is a sign of antivirus interference, while [Pak chunk signing mismatch on chunk] indicates a corrupted installation that requires game file verification.
  4. When reporting an issue with saved games, please always zip and attach your entire User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione/Savegame folder, along with the logs and the crash folder (when reporting related to a crash).

Laser scanned Targa Florio, question for Devs?

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by Tacoscent, Oct 17, 2016.

1. Tacoscent

Tacoscent Racer

I just completed my first awful lap on the Targo Florio, going at a decent pace with many crashes, took me 39 minutes! And it got me thinking, I doubt this would cost Kunos any money when it comes to licensing, why not laser scan arguably the most epic race course of all time? I read in another similar thread that renting them costs a lot of money.

So I was wondering, if one of the devs or somebody with actual knowledge (don't pull a number out of your ***) could tell me what it would cost to get such a thing done. Would Kunos be open to doing something like this if say, they opened a kickstarter or something? I don't have a lot of money but I would certainly donate for this project to get fulfilled. 72km long race track in current trim, and according to wikipedia the longest single lap version was a tour of the entire island, 1080km long, with the grande circuit being 148km. It brings lots of possibilities.

How much would the 72km version cost to make, ballpark do you think. Would it be worth it? Or hell, how about the Grande or maybe even the entire Island circuit. I think having the most incredible race inside of the best racing simulator in the world seems pretty damn cool.

So I'd really love to hear from Kunos, would you guys be open to something like this, if you could get a kickstarter going?

2. Similar Threads
    Forum Title Date
    ACC General Discussions Laser scanned Bathurst? Apr 13, 2019
    ACC General Discussions Laser scanned circuits - ACC Jun 26, 2018
    Console Lounge Laserscanned Laguna Seca + 6 bonus cars will be free! Sep 19, 2017
    Suggestions Non-laser scanned official tracks planned? May 13, 2017
    Console Lounge How accurate are the laser scanned tracks? Dec 23, 2016
    Suggestions Clarify which tracks are laser scanned on the website, steam, maybe in game too? Jul 18, 2016
    Chit Chat Room Why laserscanned brands? Nov 27, 2015
    Chit Chat Room Is nordschleife laserscanned ? Sep 25, 2015
    Chit Chat Room Curiosity question: nürburgring gp laserscanned or not? Sep 17, 2015
    Chit Chat Room Zandvoort not laserscanned rumor(?) Jul 19, 2015
    Tracks modding Track poznań - laser scanned 1.2 Dec 22, 2014
    Suggestions Just a thought: laser-scanned public roads Oct 1, 2014
    General modding discussion Laser scanned cars Aug 18, 2014
    Chit Chat Room Laser scanned nordschleife Aug 4, 2014
    Chit Chat Room Have a look at how laser scanned tracks are built! Mar 9, 2014

3. David Wright

David Wright Hardcore Simmer

To produce a 72 km track would presumably cost 12 x more than your typical 6 km racing track. So would most people want 12 tracks or the Targa Florio? I'm afraid for most of us its a no-brainer.

chakko likes this.
  4. Brownninja97

Brownninja97 Alien

That would take many many years to produce, i dont think thats a good idea not to mention the ridiculous amount of data it would use to capture all of it.

5. Ace Pumpkin

Ace Pumpkin Alien

Why you assume this track won't cost Kunos a dime is beyond me....
    I hope you don't drive as bad as you do present your points of argument...

6. Tacoscent

Tacoscent Racer

Read my post again, this time, do it real real careful, word by word so you don't get too confused. After you have done that, get up and go look in the mirror. Realize that you are stupid.

7. Tacoscent

Tacoscent Racer

That is not true at all. That assumes that those 12 tracks are all in one place. Throw in travel and food costs, licensing etc, and yeah, it would be FAR more expensive to do 12 tracks, even if they were somehow all located in the same country, than it would be to do a single long track all in one location.

I just wanted to know the cost, also, I doubt the regular 72km would take years, though with a large enough team I'm sure the entire island could be done in a reasonable amount of time, relative to the size anyways. I'm aware Kunos does not have a team like that.

I just figured why not bring up the Targa Floria. As far as tracks go, it would be among the easier ones for them to get to since its located in Italy.

8. Ace Pumpkin

Ace Pumpkin Alien

I have one for you YogiBear...
    Well, regarding your history here, it's no loss. Meet the ignore list.

9. Only one guy makes each track...The Nordschleife took a year...how long do you think a track 4x longer would take....it's not just about the money, it's also about the monumental work load required for a track that very few people will ever use (72 km track....no one is ever going to race on that).

10. chakko

chakko Alien

Now that there are laser scans from Le Mans, i'd rather see that before a track only a couple of nostalgic motorsport fans are interested in, and which would cost a fortune to realize...

11. schmron

schmron Racer

Take a look at server list.

Most Nordschleife servers are practice. Only one or two servers are full (also at weekend).
    Most people on this servers don't drive a full lap. They crashing at 25% and restart or leave the server.
    Black Cat servers are empty most time.

Result: Long tracks (especially tracks longer 20km) are useless.

Plus: a 72km track needs a hyper mega NASA supercomputer...

Better: short but detailed tracks ;)
    Much better: a few <2km tracks for low power cars ;)

12. Servant

Servant Rookie

Besides the already mentionned issues regarding the cost, enormous amount of work needed and the fact that this track will never be used online and very rarely offline by only a handful of enthusiasts, I don't think it would be correct for a company such as Kunos to ask for donations. I mean you and I paid for Assetto and all of the DLC's, with that money and other ways of making income they have, they make content, not with donations, because donations are for starting projects, charity organizations, political groups, whatever, but not for a already up and going business to which you are a custommer.

Gevatter and mclarenf1papa like this.
  13. Gevatter

Gevatter Alien

Yes I would like that, but no, it's nowhere near worth it.

Apart from the aforementioned problems regarding costs & workload, isn't there also the problem that the AC physics engine goes wonky if your car is too far from the center point? Wouldn't that affect a track as long as the Targa FLorio?

14. Tacoscent

Tacoscent Racer

Well, if only ONE guy makes each track then yeah, I can understand that. Maybe they could hire another few guys for it, especially if the community funded it. I don't even use the Nurburgring, I've been driving it since project gotham racing 3 and I'm so sick of it that if a meteor were to land on the real life track and obliterate it, as long as nobody was hurt I'd laugh my *** off.

But the Targa Florio would represent a different kind of racing. Its not about nailing every corner at 100%. In an online race, it would come down to who is the smoothest and who can go at their most comfortable pace for the longest. Especially if you added damage, you might have one guy take off, far better technically than all the other racers, only to crash his car midway through the race taking a corner to quick or misjudging the braking distance. The fastest doesn't always win there. I don't play online precisely for what you mentioned, it makes me angry. I realize some of you (not saying you specifically just addressing the main forum goers) are anti social as FK and probably don't have the social skills necessary to make enough trustworthy friends to put together a good race with good drivers, but how epic would that be? A race among trustworthy drivers where its not about who has the most raw skill but who can maintain a reasonable pace for the longest with the fewest errors. That sounds like a lot of fun to me.

If there were a good server online with a laser scanned Targa Florio, that might be what makes me get into the online portion. I'd personally donate and in addition to that pay up to 30 bucks for an accurate depiction of the track.

15. It's all fine and good that you would be willing to fund the addition of extra developers (what was that about it costing Kunos less than other tracks?) and the track itself, but you have to realize that not many other people would do so....just because you don't use the Nurburgring didn't stop it from being one of the most awaited tracks in sim racing. Your $30 aren't going to matter if only 1/30th of the AC user base is willing to pay the same.

ears1991 likes this.
  16. Protoduct

Protoduct Hardcore Simmer

Laser scanning it completely isn't possible anymore right? The track isn't maintained and at some point completely gone. I'd rather have fictional track with the same style

17. Tacoscent

Tacoscent Racer

The guy at the top said that, doing the Targa Florio would cost more than 12 other tracks, which I said should honestly be impossible especially if those 12 tracks are all located in different countries. There's just no way. The workload would be far greater for 12 different tracks than a single large one. I think if they hired a team to do it, it could get done in a reasonable amount of time. I agree with you that, if only a small portion of the user base buys the track, it doesn't matter how much I like it. A lot of people get so offended, like when I made my thread on being able to add performance to cars in game. So threatened its ridiculous, like by adding some performance mods etc, the game goes from hardcore sim to need for speed. This is simply a dialog, and a discussion. I don't expect a laser scanned Targa Florio to happen. But you know, things start with an idea. What if Kunos just said **** it, who cares if they buy it, that sounds cool and we're gonna do it, and it all started from this thread? Would be pretty neat. I'd really love to hear what Kunos thinks.

18. Salajutsu

Salajutsu Hardcore Simmer

I would totally support a laser scanned Targa Florio. Sadly, it'll just never happen...

I'm sad that Nords rarely gets good races going. Sure a few common people on the same server can run some good laps, but it's so rare to find a good race there...

to at least have a well done, fully finished Targa outside of accuracy, that's realistic at least. Hell, I'd join servers for it often. I do like the type of racing that isn't just nailing everything perfectly. It takes a different type of skill to be fast there.

It is certainly a dream to have a true, seasoned race there with equally skilled or close players, all being reserved and safe, but still putting out a racing pace. I wish it were so..

Tacoscent likes this.
  19. Gevatter

Gevatter Alien

Kunos cares if we buy it. Devs need to eat, you know. They don't do their work for the lulz, they earn their money with that.

20. It would most certainly cost more if you had to hire 5 extra team members to work on it...especially if you'd want them to do the entire island. It would take years and cost hundreds of thousands of dollars to produce.

And that last statement is ridiculous...they're a business; and a small one at that. No one wants to just throw away money, it's just not something that would ever happen.

21. Tacoscent

Tacoscent Racer

All of this is based on a crowd funded project, did you forget? I keep mentioning that. So its assuming they aren't going completely out of pocket for it, and yeah, honestly, I don't expect the entire island. I'd be beyond happy with the 72km version, which I don't think would cost more than 12 different tracks, but maybe Kunos will notice this and let us know. I'm pretty sure there would be a lot of console guys that would see "72km" and think "holy **** I need that" and buy it as well. I know I would even if I had no idea what the track was.