1. Do you need support for Assetto Corsa Competizione? Please use the proper forum below and ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Logs" folder in your c:\users\*youruser*\AppData\Local\AC2\Saved. The "AppData" folder is hidden by default, check "Hidden items" in your Windows view properties. If you report a crash, ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Crashes" folder in the same directory. Do not post "I have the same issue" in an existing thread with a game crash, always open your own thread. Do not PM developers and staff members for personal troubleshooting and support.
  2. As part of our continuous maintenance and improvements to Assetto Corsa Competizione we will be releasing small updates on a regular basis during the esports season which might not go through the usual announcement process detailing the changes until a later version update where these changes will be listed retrospectively.
  3. If ACC doesn't start with an error or the executable is missing, please add your entire Steam directory to the exceptions in your antivirus software, run a Steam integrity check or reinstall the game altogether. Make sure you add the User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione folder to your antivirus/Defender exceptions and exclude it from any file sharing app (GDrive, OneDrive or Dropbox)! The Corsair iCue software is also known to conflict with Input Device initialization, if the game does not start up and you have such devices, please try disabling the iCue software and try again. [file:unknown] [line: 95] secure crt: invalid error is a sign of antivirus interference, while [Pak chunk signing mismatch on chunk] indicates a corrupted installation that requires game file verification.
  4. When reporting an issue with saved games, please always zip and attach your entire User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione/Savegame folder, along with the logs and the crash folder (when reporting related to a crash).

Learning Circuits, Go Big Early

Discussion in 'Chit Chat Room' started by iannixxenakis, Aug 7, 2017.

1. iannixxenakis

iannixxenakis Hardcore Simmer

Interested to know what others think but (I think) I've found that learning long tracks like Trento and the Nords has helped me learn shorter tracks more quickly.

Both tracks took me a long time to learn where all the turns are and how to take them quickly, but since doing that I've found that learning a normal circuit like Spa has been much easier than it was when I first started. (Bit like running with heavy boots, then taking them off, though that's probably not recommended as an actual training technique).

I can learn a new, regular-length track and get a reasonable time in an hour or two now.

However, retaining that information in my memory requires some regular practise so I don't forget the track (easily learned, easily forgotten).

Interested to hear about other approaches to learning circuits, and I'm wondering how pro drivers do it, and if they can learn a new track faster than an amateur and remember it for longer (our brains change if we practise a skill enough, look up neuroplasticity and how it applies to musicians or London cabbies and 'the knowledge'.)

Last edited: Aug 7, 2017
    bromstarzan and paul_wev like this.

2. Similar Threads
    Forum Title Date
    Console Lounge Weekly Hotlap Challenge 164 – Learning Curves Feb 1, 2020
    ACC Rating & Leaderboards Opinion: Rating system is too punishing while learning a new track Apr 20, 2019
    ACC General Discussions Learning to Drive! Nov 23, 2018
    Suggestions Idea for learning a new track/section Dec 17, 2017
    Chit Chat Room The learning curve Dec 7, 2017
    Screens & Videos Assetto Corsa | Learning zandvoort | Porsche 911 GT3 2017 Jan 7, 2017
    Console Lounge My drifting learning curve Oct 18, 2016
    PlayStation 4 Discussions Learning to drive...fast! Sep 6, 2016
    Chit Chat Room Learning Tool - Slew car position - Nordschleife Jul 31, 2016
    Suggestions Some features to help learning from other drivers Aug 17, 2015
    Chit Chat Room A new idea for sims - ai constantly learning from humans Apr 22, 2015
    Tracks modding Track learning idea Aug 26, 2014
    Chit Chat Room D'oh! idea for learning - replays Aug 3, 2014
    Chit Chat Room Learning to drive. Feb 4, 2014
    ACC User Interface A few innacuracies in the History of the circuits section Jun 2, 2020

3. bromstarzan

bromstarzan Hardcore Simmer

Of course; your brain learns by patterns. If you simplify the task after reapeated (demanding) practice, you'll find it easier to apply the pattern on less demanding tasks.
    Works like muscle-memory in a way. That's the beauty of practice! Nice of you to share your experience! Happy drivin!

Horus and iannixxenakis like this.
  4. caKus

caKus Racer

Try this tool :

patrick-brunner.net/codriver

iannixxenakis likes this.
  5. chalminho

chalminho Simracer

It all comes down to practice, practice, practice really but this may be useful.

6. Horus

Horus Alien

There are Drivers and then there are Racers. You meet one type most of the time, you meet the others less frequently. The difference is practice, practice, practice, practice, practice, practice, and then some more practice, practice, practice, practice, practice, practice. Good luck becoming a racer not a driver.

7. Just average driver myself, but in the years I found that the shortest way for me to learn a new track is starting very slow and careful, forcing myself to go slow when I would like to push. After 3 or 4 slow laps the track starts looking familiar.
    The big plus in this technique is that you can find references in a shorter time and adjust them as your speed increases AND without mistakes you are way faster finding a correct uninterrupted flow and connecting all of the parts together.
    The longest way I know is to push right after leaving the pits. It will lead me to make frequent mistakes which interrupt the lap, and this makes more difficult to find a good line.
    As for Trento Bondone, I find it a very very difficult track and wouldn't suggest it to someone wanting to start learning new tracks, but for an already experienced driver I think it's a great learning tool (can be so frustrating! many turns seem all the same the first times, easy to loose awareness of where you are, etc). Nordschleife on the other hand seems more affordable for a beginner (taken with the due respect) and its beauty is rewarding since the very first moments. Not sure if learning long tracks helps me at learning shorter ones faster: I think my way of learning is by chunks (a series of 3-4 turns) and then connect them, so in the end I don't feel a big difference between shorter and longer tracks.

iannixxenakis and martcerv like this.
  8. I just push from the get-go (in simracing, just balls out, in real life, keep a little buffer because wallet). Much faster than starting slow. Watching videos and what not beforehand until you can tell where the corners go and more or less their shape and lines in your head is very important as well.

For example, a 2:30 track in real life. It took me two laps to get about 2s off the day's PB, and less than 7 laps to get within 1s, and that's mostly due to having traffic on several laps (+/-1s to account for the track slowing down in PM due to heat, despite better driving).

Meanwhile, other guys who didn't do their homework saw 8s deltas between the start of the day and the end...

9. martcerv

martcerv Alien

I think possibly longer tracks just taught you to be more efficient with your learning. My method is the same in sims as learning real tracks, start out at a comfortable pace and build speed. Every lap you do you learn something and crashing teaches very little unless your wanting to learn how best to crash. ;) Any new car on a track you already know still takes a few laps to adjust reference points.

My early pace may just knock 2-4 seconds off the end pace in a 1-30 to 2 min lap so its not like I am cruising around just learning to get apexes and maximise exits, then once I am pretty much on with these will find where to push a bit harder. In sims there is always the tendency to push a bit more then you would in a real car as the reset button is cheap and painless. You can still overdrive and make adjustments so pushing a bit too hard doesnt mean your going to crash, if you are properly crashing regularly your doing something fairly wrong I think and mostly wasting your time.

10. Tberg

Tberg Alien

I'm with William, I just go.
    Going slow is wasting time to learn it going fast, but of cause you need to know your tools, whether you´re simracing or rl driving. That's behavior of the car, brakedistance etc.
    Everytime I have a friend trying my rig, they fly off track because they think they have plenty of time to brake or don't know how hard they can brake. Though, it has become easier with VR because of the depth perception and size.

11. martcerv

martcerv Alien

I understand that method but Im sure your still finding a few seconds from your initial laps to your faster pace, someone with a good understanding of feel and balance going slow is still fast for many others. Im not going around at safety car speeds just working my way up to the limits on entry. Exits no point not to go as hard as possible any lap but what I see often is people join a server go full throttle into t1 slam the brakes spin, escape to pits then repeat. They do this 3 or 4 times then complain about the server and leave without ever even getting around a lap. :D

I think that's completely wasting time, good drivers can go fairly hard but no point trying to push the absolute limits if you don't even know where the next corner goes. ;) Those first laps will be a fair way off pace even if you try to go as fast as you can so going off track and escaping back to pits in the first few laps seems like a waste to me.

Tberg likes this.
  12. Tberg

Tberg Alien

Always finding a 10th here and there, that's where the fun starts :p
    I guess people are also different, in perception and technical level, so what works for some is absolutely horrible for others.

13. Andy-R

Andy-R Alien

drive to what I can see > drive to what I know > drive

14. Mogster

Mogster Alien

After probably 1000s of hotlaps I still know the first half of the Nordschleife much better than the second... wonder why that is :D

iannixxenakis and chalminho like this.
  15. I can close my eyes, and visualise the Nordschleife Tourist track from start to finish.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2017
  16. TheReaper GT

TheReaper GT Racer

It's proven, all those crashes affect memory

Mogster likes this.
  17. iannixxenakis

Same, I know I can improve some of the later corners. I tend to be more conservative with my driving as I don't want to waste the 5 minutes I spent driving to get there when hotlapping :-/

Mogster likes this.
  18. Yes, I tend to take it relatively easy at the Nordschleife Tourist track, particularly as I only use it to enjoy the handling of the various cars, rather than trying to post impressive hot lap times. I have no interest at all in the full Nordschleife track (either for racing or Sunday drives).

19. RReed43

RReed43 Hardcore Simmer

I don't think exceptionally long tracks are the best way to learn. I really appreciated the "challenges" in GT5 in which they split the track into four sections and then had time awards for each section. If you have to initiate your run from the start line it is inevitable that you will learn the start of the track better than the back of the trap because you won't always complete all your runs or as iannixenakis just said you drive more conservative towards the end of the lap. I wished AC allowed you to initiate a run later in a lap on the very long tracks.

20. Turk

Turk Alien

I think after awhile of racing different tracks your brain will have developed methods of learning and understanding that speeds up the process a lot. I've found that everything is much easier for me now, I can learn the basic layout of a track in a handful of laps and be fairly fast within an hour. Sometimes I find that if I take a break from a track and come back to it I'm somehow faster. I think you need to give your brain time to process the information it's taken in so doing lap after lap isn't helping if your not giving your brain time to process all that information into something useful.

Long seasons (an hour or so) followed by a break I find is the best for me.

I think professionals have systems for breaking down tracks, they start with the longest straight and label the corner that leads onto it as the most important and work back from there. It's a scientific process where they combine driver experience with car data to extract the ultimate pace.

21. iannixxenakis

There's a saying, from Russia I think, that goes something like: In the summer we learn to skate, in the winter we learn to swim.