1. Do you need support for Assetto Corsa Competizione? Please use the proper forum below and ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Logs" folder in your c:\users\*youruser*\AppData\Local\AC2\Saved. The "AppData" folder is hidden by default, check "Hidden items" in your Windows view properties. If you report a crash, ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Crashes" folder in the same directory. Do not post "I have the same issue" in an existing thread with a game crash, always open your own thread. Do not PM developers and staff members for personal troubleshooting and support.
  2. As part of our continuous maintenance and improvements to Assetto Corsa Competizione we will be releasing small updates on a regular basis during the esports season which might not go through the usual announcement process detailing the changes until a later version update where these changes will be listed retrospectively.
  3. If ACC doesn't start with an error or the executable is missing, please add your entire Steam directory to the exceptions in your antivirus software, run a Steam integrity check or reinstall the game altogether. Make sure you add the User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione folder to your antivirus/Defender exceptions and exclude it from any file sharing app (GDrive, OneDrive or Dropbox)! The Corsair iCue software is also known to conflict with Input Device initialization, if the game does not start up and you have such devices, please try disabling the iCue software and try again. [file:unknown] [line: 95] secure crt: invalid error is a sign of antivirus interference, while [Pak chunk signing mismatch on chunk] indicates a corrupted installation that requires game file verification.
  4. When reporting an issue with saved games, please always zip and attach your entire User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione/Savegame folder, along with the logs and the crash folder (when reporting related to a crash).

Learning to drive.

Discussion in 'Chit Chat Room' started by Buddyy, Feb 4, 2014.

1. Buddyy

Buddyy Rookie

Hey guys, fairly new to Sim Racing as a whole and would love some advice on some issues I am having.
    I've always loved racing since i was young, started off with GT2, and have been doing reasonably well offline over the few years with a controller. But now I have got myself a G27 and have the time to properly get into Sim Racing as a whole. This is my first experience, and so far I am having a blast but I always seem to have a major issue. 9/10 when I am breaking into a corner (Note: I am running full manual and clutch) everything is fine until I downshift, and the tail breaks out no matter what. I feel if i downshift later i just loose a heap of speed and its driving me insane.

Any help on this issue would be muchly appreciated!

2. Similar Threads
    Forum Title Date
    ACC General Discussions Learning to Drive! Nov 23, 2018
    PlayStation 4 Discussions Learning to drive...fast! Sep 6, 2016
    Suggestions Some features to help learning from other drivers Aug 17, 2015
    Console Lounge Weekly Hotlap Challenge 164 – Learning Curves Feb 1, 2020
    ACC Rating & Leaderboards Opinion: Rating system is too punishing while learning a new track Apr 20, 2019
    Suggestions Idea for learning a new track/section Dec 17, 2017
    Chit Chat Room The learning curve Dec 7, 2017
    Chit Chat Room Learning Circuits, Go Big Early Aug 7, 2017
    Screens & Videos Assetto Corsa | Learning zandvoort | Porsche 911 GT3 2017 Jan 7, 2017
    Console Lounge My drifting learning curve Oct 18, 2016
    Chit Chat Room Learning Tool - Slew car position - Nordschleife Jul 31, 2016
    Chit Chat Room A new idea for sims - ai constantly learning from humans Apr 22, 2015
    Tracks modding Track learning idea Aug 26, 2014
    Chit Chat Room D'oh! idea for learning - replays Aug 3, 2014
    ACC Troubleshooting Hange/freeze on selecting Drive after update 1.10.1 Apr 5, 2024

3. justDrive

justDrive Racer

Simple its called blipping the throttle, rev matching, or heel toe... Not sure if its 100% neccesary when it comes to the gt2 but for almost all cars with manual gear boxes need it. The idea of it is to keep your RPM's matched with the gearbox, so when shifting down into a lower gear the crankshaft and pistons are rotating/moving at the same speed as the gear you are shifting into. Here is a video for it but its just to show you what it is can't find a good tutorial
    Remember it takes time to master and get good at, it WILL feel awkward at first.

4. F430_458_F12

F430_458_F12 Alien

On my old G27 pedal set, heel-toe was difficult unless I reverse mounted my pedals...which I no longer can do :rolleyes:. If you want to retain the original configuration of your pedals, you can activate "blip-throttle" in AC once you select a race. Some will tell you it's cheating, but not all cars require heel-toe to drive effectively. I enable/disable it according to the era and type of car.

Threshold braking is also important, and in AC you can obtain a bunch of wonderful effects here for drifting and GT racing exactly like the real thing in the exact same places on the real courses. Trail-braking can be implemented in places as well, but not too often. Trail-braking is when you slowly let off the brake in the turn allowing you to "fade" from deceleration to acceleration in order to stabilize the suspension of very stiff cars.

Here is a great video showing some of the techniques.

5. Buddyy

Buddyy Rookie

Thanks for the video, But the strange thing is i had it enabled in AC. I've just tried it without it enabled and without employing the heel toe it seems to be fine. But still it would be great to be able to perform the heel-toe so i guess thats something im going to be practicing alot

6. F430_458_F12

F430_458_F12 Alien

Oh you will! AC is the most immersive sim in that regard.

7. FerrariMan96

FerrariMan96 Racer

Heel-and-toe does take quite a lot of practice. It took me a long time to learn it, and I also found that I needed to change pedals to do so. I had a G25 (same pedals as a G27) and I found it was too hard for me to heel-and-toe, mostly because the brake is closer to the clutch than the accelerator pedal (should be the other way around, plus I have small feet) and also because the brake is at the same level as the throttle, so when it's depressed it's hard to blip the throttle. I moved to CSR Elite pedals by Fanatec, which along with the slightly-higher Clubsport V2 pedals I would definitely recommend - they can be used stand-alone via USB with your G27, so long as you have a spare USB port. Although the brake pedal is still on the same level as the throttle (although this can be adjusted on the Clubsports), because of the use of the load cell instead of a potentiometer the pedal does not depress as far so it's much easier to blip. If you can spend the cash I'd recommend the upgrade. For what it's worth, the load cell also measures force rather than distance, which is more realistic for a race car pedal.

After saying all this, I should say that it's not impossible to heel-and-toe on G27 pedals, particularly if you have bigger feet, but I just find that it's been much easier with my new pedals.

8. Stereo

Stereo Alien

You can get by on letting the clutch out more slowly (don't just tap it as you shift, actually let it out over time) but heel and toe is more fun :p It's the sudden action that destabilizes your car.

9. Do you have auto clutch and auto blip enabled?

10. Buddyy

Buddyy Rookie

I only had auto blip enabled.

11. harryorlsen

harryorlsen Racer

some basics here and use the paddle app to find the max brake point:

later you can use the rivali apps to improve your times: rivali page

have fun and practice, practice.... :D

12. beany2009

beany2009 Racer

best footcam vid i know

bigbawmcgraw and harryorlsen like this.
  13. harryorlsen

harryorlsen Racer

ps: most important for your best driving are the right tweak for your wheel and the FOV for the best drivin feeling. check the forum for both issues, plenty infos when you are unhappy or unsure with it.

14. Guys I think he wants a solution to his problem, not heel and toe tutorials. Can the OP please confirm that not heel and toeing is the issue?

15. bigbawmcgraw

bigbawmcgraw Alien

Alternative to heel-toe is to downshift without using the clutch at all whilst left foot braking. You will have to blip the throttle at the right time to make sure the engine revs match the gear you are shifting down to, but with practice it can be done. If you miss the gear or don't get the timing right you will hear the box crashing. When damage is implemented, your margin of error will decrease every time you crash the box as I understand it.

In the video below I only use the clutch to shift up and I use no assists.
    Unfortunately I FRAP recorded a playback so the pedal app doesn't show the clutch use.
    Watch from about 4:05 and keep an eye on the pedal app on the bottom left.

harryorlsen likes this.
  16. Bailey

Bailey Alien

I have to thank you guys for this help too. I just upgraded from the Momo to the G27 yesterday and it is a whole 'nother world of difference! I have understood the theories and mechanics for years but having to use a clutch on the spot is crazy! I swear I spent an hour yesterday at Drift in the Lotus just learning how to shift from 1st to 2nd and back down again. Amazing stuff.
    ~Bailey

beany2009 likes this.
  17. Buddyy

Buddyy Rookie

Im not using heel and toe at all, ill be trying it out more tomorrow as im just too unfit too play for long periods xD but thanks all for the advice, ill be testing it all out to see which best suites me!

18. beany2009

beany2009 Racer

i have g27 and always manual clutch, drifting takes a while to learn but when you get it dialed in its amazing great fun

19. ChrisR

ChrisR Alien

Once you master heel toe, using any pedal set is pretty easy ..

I learnt in my real car over time and it transfered directly over to the g27 without much issue ..

20. Bailey

Bailey Alien

I ride cage free (motorcycles) and have never driven a clutch in a car, as 99% of motorcycles people see are manual sequential transmission. Every time I practice in AC I feel like I want to ride my motorcycle afterwards to "cleanse" myself :p
    ~Bailey

21. cerebus23

cerebus23 Simracer

Rev match when downshifting your downshifting gunning the gas when the engines revs are too high for the gear and blowing the cars back end out, has nothing to do with blipping, downshift slower.

Its a horrible habit you can do in gran turismo and i assume forza is overev the engine to hell and back downshifting slam it into gear with no consequences, ac has consequences for doing that your cars rear end spinning in front of the front end is those consequences.