1. Do you need support for Assetto Corsa Competizione? Please use the proper forum below and ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Logs" folder in your c:\users\*youruser*\AppData\Local\AC2\Saved. The "AppData" folder is hidden by default, check "Hidden items" in your Windows view properties. If you report a crash, ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Crashes" folder in the same directory. Do not post "I have the same issue" in an existing thread with a game crash, always open your own thread. Do not PM developers and staff members for personal troubleshooting and support.
  2. As part of our continuous maintenance and improvements to Assetto Corsa Competizione we will be releasing small updates on a regular basis during the esports season which might not go through the usual announcement process detailing the changes until a later version update where these changes will be listed retrospectively.
  3. If ACC doesn't start with an error or the executable is missing, please add your entire Steam directory to the exceptions in your antivirus software, run a Steam integrity check or reinstall the game altogether. Make sure you add the User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione folder to your antivirus/Defender exceptions and exclude it from any file sharing app (GDrive, OneDrive or Dropbox)! The Corsair iCue software is also known to conflict with Input Device initialization, if the game does not start up and you have such devices, please try disabling the iCue software and try again. [file:unknown] [line: 95] secure crt: invalid error is a sign of antivirus interference, while [Pak chunk signing mismatch on chunk] indicates a corrupted installation that requires game file verification.
  4. When reporting an issue with saved games, please always zip and attach your entire User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione/Savegame folder, along with the logs and the crash folder (when reporting related to a crash).

Let's discuss iRacing - attempt #2

Discussion in 'Chit Chat Room' started by slopps, Sep 16, 2016.

1. Jake F

Jake F Gamer

I hope you don't mind, I looked up your profile on iRacing. You're really not doing badly, as frustrated as you might be. Keep in mind that only ~17% of iRacing's users ever get above 2000 iRating - and I'm sure you could get there without too much trouble. I crunched the numbers for iRacing's userbase last year out of curiosity, here's what the resulting chart looked like:

[​IMG]

Something to keep in mind about the Safety Rating calculation is that it is not actually a race-by-race plus or minus calculation. SR is a representation of your CPI Index - "Corners per Incident" Index. This calculation takes your last ~1000 corners into account, and the number of incident points you accrued in that time. So if you have 10 races with a LOT of incident points and then 1 race with no incident points, you'll likely only see small SR gains. But as you continue to race without incident, your oldest, high incident corners are cycled out of the calculation, and your SR will start to quickly rise. On the other hand, if you have 10 races with no incidents and then 1 race with many incidents, you'll only see a small SR decrease, because it's not a large percentage of the overall calculation. So while it might be frustrating to see your SR barely increase after a clean race, the more of those you have, the more significantly it will start to rise.

Here's a chart showing how CPI and SR are correlated. You'll see that D4.5 = C3.5 = B2.5 = A1.5, which means that an A1.5 driver (in danger of end-of-season demotion) has the same CPI as a D4.5 driver.

[​IMG]

As an aside, the Miatas are a frustrating series to race in, because you have a mix of really competent and really incompetent drivers, so you never know when someone is going to attempt a terrible dive bomb and totally wreck you. Skippies are much better, but when you race on the free tracks (like Seca, as you did in your most recent race), you get a lot of the bad drivers hopping in and causing more wrecks.

iRacing is one of those things where the more you race, the more you "get" it, and the better the quality of racing gets as a result. I mean that in terms of a lot of things - how the iR and SR calculations work, when someone is likely to divebomb you, how iRacing's tires and FFB respond to certain things, etc. I would, of course, only encourage you to continue at it if you're having fun, but I think if you were to stick with it you'd end up finding some great communities to be a part of, and have some great racing there too. Just my two cents :)

2. mantasisg 2

mantasisg 2 Alien

Thats really awesome data, and a lot of things getting clear, big thanks, Jake :)

Jake F likes this.
  3. BrandonW77

BrandonW77 Alien

^ This. My first stab at it a few years ago, I hated it and just didn't understand it, got frustrated at things I didn't need to be frustrated about. Now I understand it more and know what to do, I'm having a lot more fun and have had some fantastic races (and some bad ones). I still have loads to learn though and for whatever reason they don't make it easy to learn the stuff you need to know.

Jake F likes this.
  4. fbiehne

fbiehne Hardcore Simmer

Nice surprise with the new Indycar IR-18 coming in the next build. I’m already excited for the two LMP1s but that Indycar comes out of nowhere.

5. BrandonW77

BrandonW77 Alien

Very nice surprise. And everyone gets the DW-12 as free content too, as well as "old" Pocono. Hopefully they'll make a new series using the DW-12 that everyone can participate in since it's free, but I kinda doubt it. Now if they'd just finish Long Beach...

6. murderous972

murderous972 Racer

7. Bo-Göran Larsson

Bo-Göran Larsson Hardcore Simmer

Ive not driven and played Iracing in over a year but re subbed today. It will be wery intresting to feel
    the cars again. I dont now what you guys feel but havent AC GT3s more and more driven to the
    iracing way off doing tyres physics. Some GT3 cars is wery easy to overheat and takes forever to
    cool down. Its the same that got me off Iracing and the way you never got any confident in the cars.
    It will be intresting to compare now when you maybe have got a little better in understanding how
    the tyres work.

8. BrandonW77

BrandonW77 Alien

Hello? Is this thing still on? Here's a great battle I had in the Advanced MX5 Cup at Watkins Glen a few days ago. Really great back and forth, then another car comes out of nowhere and blows by us in the last lap but then gets caught up in some drama and falls back behind us. Managed to bring it home in P6. I'm in the blue and yellow car.

Cote Dazur and Pretend racer like this.
  9. BrandonW77

BrandonW77 Alien

Another video I made (in VR) of a great battle I had in the Global MX5 Cup. I managed to lose both laps in qualifying so I started from the back and battled my way back to P4. Really fun stuff!

Sleeper Service likes this.
  10. Sleeper Service

Sleeper Service Hardcore Simmer

Looks OK.... We'll see next week when I start my I- Racing career I guess :eek:

11. BrandonW77

BrandonW77 Alien

It's confusing! But once you figure out how it all works it actually makes a lot of sense and works well and I have a lot of fun racing in it (most of the time).

12. Gevatter

Gevatter Alien

If only it wasn't so damn expensive... I recently rejoined as two of my collegues started fresh in Rookie class. I was not far off C class, so I took the final races and a few time trials for safety rating. I did well and was highly motivated to go head on into the Radical SR8 cup for this season. I even used all of the free road tracks, so I'd only need to buy eight tracks instead of twelve. So I got the car and the first two tracks into my cart... and it would have cost me ~45 Euros after the discount. And for the whole season it would have been that two times more over the coming weeks, so I reconsidered, because I'm just not prepared to invest that kind of money into it, but I have to admit the racing is great, even in D class (or I got really lucky ^^) and the FFB and tire model worked well, at least on the slow cars.

Maybe some day :)

13. Sleeper Service

Sleeper Service Hardcore Simmer

It was on sale a week or so back - 40% off - so I decided to give it a shot. I've run a few practice laps at Lime Rock to get wheel etc. set up and was pleasantly surprised. I want to relive the days of N2K as well ;). Overall AC seems to be better physics wise but recent forays back into pub land have left me wanting to try out iR's system. I know pub racing isn't the best but I haven't got the time (or competitiveness) for league racing and this is despite the efforts of @Minolin and server admins. I hope they manage to come up with something good for ACC. GT's aren't really my cup of tea but marrying UE4 graphics to Kunos' physics should be quite something. Maybe see you out there some time ;)

I understand it can work out on the expensive side, the way I look at it it's peanuts compared to what I've invested in hardware and, ultimately, I can afford it. That might sound like an off hand comment to make, it's not meant to be and please don't take offence. The online racing side of it appeals to me so there's no harm in giving it a shot :)

14. ChrisR

ChrisR Alien

There is no denying that its expensive..

I justify it as follows

Sub = the service you get is great, all the results, stats, licence & safety system all work well but do cost to host.. the built in championships etc and you can get $40 a year if you just participate.

Cars & Tracks = a bit of a downfall but there is no getting round the quality of the cars and tracks.. sounds are great..

The bit i dont like is the constant renew subscription option reverting to on when you change anything.. and they charge full price for the nords and gp i tgink there should be a discount if you already own one..

But thats my only complaint really.. just an obvious money grab.

I forgot to add. I work in a garage so the scrap man comes round and pays me ££ for dead batteries and catalytic convertors so really... i only pay a fraction of the cost.

15. BrandonW77

BrandonW77 Alien

Just depends on how you approach it really. Plus I believe you pay VAT or something which makes it a bit more expensive, for me to buy three pieces of content costs less than $40 USD. My approach is each new season I'm buying three pieces of content (to get the 10% discount) that I'll use for that season, I check the schedules ahead of time to see which tracks I'll get the most use out of across a number of different series. So for right now I'm not able to really run a full season in one car but instead bounce around between 3-4 different series. By the end of the year I'll have a pretty nice collection of tracks that should allow me to do full seasons in a variety of series but by doing it in small batches like that I'm only paying about $4/week for each season which is not at all expensive in my book. I'll gladly pay $0.60/day in exchange for the quality racing I get at pretty much any time of the day or week I want.

Gevatter and Cote Dazur like this.
  16. Gevatter

Gevatter Alien

That is a pretty good approach. So you effectively only buy three pieces of content each season, amassing content over time so to speak, although that would leave me with not all that much to do in C-class for now, as I'm missing most of the cars as well, but I guess going back to D-class races every now an then would be alright to gain a bit of iRating. I may just have approached it wrong. I'll have a good hard look into this.

The VAT does add a few euros and effectifely cancels out the 10% discount I get for buying three pieces of content at once. The monthly fee I have no quarrels with. I played World of Warcraft for years back in the day, and the quality of the racing (mostly) is worth it. [offtopic]I kind of hope for a subscription style online model like iRacing has it for ACC when it's fully released. Wouldn't be bothered to invest a few Euros each month.[/offtopic]

17. ChrisR

ChrisR Alien

After 40 pieces of content you get 20% off every thing :)

Ibjust hit that today

18. BrandonW77

BrandonW77 Alien

Yes, it does limit your upper class racing options a bit in the early going but as long as you're willing to do some lower class racing there's still plenty of options and a lot of fun to be had. If I don't have anything on my schedule I just jump into a Global MX5 Cup race, those are almost always a blast and they're pretty short so you can crank a couple out in an evening. Right now I bounce around between the Global MX5 Cup, Advanced MX5 Cup, Skippy, RUF, SRF, Production Car Challenge, Global Challenge, Porsche Cup, some of the free dirt oval stuff, and I'm planning to get in on some of the races with the new IndyCar starting next week at Sebring. So I'm rarely at loss for options when it comes to having something to race and each week I usually have at least two or three series to choose from. I already have a good enough SR to advance to B class, just need a couple more MPR races and I'll be there.

I try to get ahold of the season schedule before the season starts and look at which tracks I'll get the most use out of across all of those series and that's what I buy. This means I'm sometimes buying tracks I'm not all that fond of but I'd rather buy a track I'm not real fond of that I'll get a lot of use out of than one I am fond of that doesn't get used much. Then I make up a grid of all my various options so each week I can just check the grid and quickly see what's on my schedule for that week. It may sound like a bit of a pain in the *** but it kind of adds an RPG/career type element to it that I actually have learned to enjoy. And obviously each season my grid grows as I add more content, in about 6 months I'll have enough tracks to do some full seasons in certain cars.

iRacing 2018 Season 2 Grid.png

Gevatter likes this.
  19. Gevatter

Gevatter Alien

I like that approach a lot @BrandonW77

I'll invest some time and look through the schedule as soon as I managed to solve my current issue in iRacing: I'm using triple screen without nvidia surround. I set a custom resolution in the app.ini and set the bezel correctiona nd everyting in game, and it work, apart from the fact that the whole picture is offcenter ~30 pixels to the left :D Nothing gamebreaking, but annoying none the lessas it gives you some flicker on the edges of the screen. I clearly configured something wrong. X-vansih doesn't work, so I'll need to play around with the values a bit more.

BrandonW77 likes this.
  20. BrandonW77

BrandonW77 Alien

You can maybe try adjusting your camera position? It's a bit fiddly but should allow you to get it more centered I think.

https://www.reddit.com/r/iRacing/comments/4xfw6z/seat_adjustment/