1. Do you need support for Assetto Corsa Competizione? Please use the proper forum below and ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Logs" folder in your c:\users\*youruser*\AppData\Local\AC2\Saved. The "AppData" folder is hidden by default, check "Hidden items" in your Windows view properties. If you report a crash, ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Crashes" folder in the same directory. Do not post "I have the same issue" in an existing thread with a game crash, always open your own thread. Do not PM developers and staff members for personal troubleshooting and support.
  2. As part of our continuous maintenance and improvements to Assetto Corsa Competizione we will be releasing small updates on a regular basis during the esports season which might not go through the usual announcement process detailing the changes until a later version update where these changes will be listed retrospectively.
  3. If ACC doesn't start with an error or the executable is missing, please add your entire Steam directory to the exceptions in your antivirus software, run a Steam integrity check or reinstall the game altogether. Make sure you add the User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione folder to your antivirus/Defender exceptions and exclude it from any file sharing app (GDrive, OneDrive or Dropbox)! The Corsair iCue software is also known to conflict with Input Device initialization, if the game does not start up and you have such devices, please try disabling the iCue software and try again. [file:unknown] [line: 95] secure crt: invalid error is a sign of antivirus interference, while [Pak chunk signing mismatch on chunk] indicates a corrupted installation that requires game file verification.
  4. When reporting an issue with saved games, please always zip and attach your entire User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione/Savegame folder, along with the logs and the crash folder (when reporting related to a crash).

Let's discuss iRacing - attempt #2

Discussion in 'Chit Chat Room' started by slopps, Sep 16, 2016.

1. Traind

Traind Hardcore Simmer

I haven't driven a racing sim yet that hasn't offered at least a few things that were fun or well done. But it seems like so many people-- detractors and supporters-- often argue their points as if there is only their point of view. "It's not even debatable" seems to highlight that attitude pretty nicely. <although a brand new post from the OP seems like he might have a more open mind now :)

So I try .. and it is pretty easy...to see pros and cons for all the sims out there. One thing I haven't read here yet as an advantage for iRacing is that the tire model feels organic. That is the best way I can describe it. By that I mean it feels more like real rubber on a real road.

I love Assetto Corsa and spend more time driving in AC than I do iRacing but as good as AC's feel is... it comes across as more digital to me. There are benefits to it for sure-- clarity at the point of grip loss being a significant plus for AC. Yet the feel comes across as a bit less natural than iRacing or RF2. I would love to have a combination of AC's clarity and the organic feel from iRacing. I actually believe that RF2 is in the middle of that spectrum-- nicely organic yet more clarity than iRacing.

iRacing's tire model has gone from ice racing to something much better-- with much more grip-- in the last few years. And when I moved up the quality of sim equipment I use I also found that while every sim feels better going to direct drive wheels... iRacing, for whatever reason, improved more for me. If AC and RF2 feel 50% better with a direct drive wheel then iRacing made an 80% jump. That isn't to say iRacing feels better than the other two ... just that the FFB improvement was more significant with a dd wheel.

If you really want to compare you also need to look at different car types within each sim. I feel that certain sim engines handle certain types of cars better than others. So comparing modern F1 cars between sims does not necessarily mean all the same points will be valid when comparing GT3 or street cars. I do think if you drive the modern F1 cars across AC, iRacing and RF2 it will highlight many of the differences in feel. (RF2 comes out best in this 'feel' comparison for me but you can actually get very nuanced and see that parts of the experience are superior in AC at the same time)

In summary... I find it hard to understand how you can try a sim like AC, iRacing, RF2, AMS etc and not see value and quality in the experience. Sure you will have your preferences ... but dismissing any of these fine products outright? Really?

2. chakko

chakko Alien

You know... i had such moments too... :D But then were those moments when i logged on, tried some practice before a race, and literally spun out in every 2nd corner, because i didn't feel sh** about the car. That's iRacing for me, kind of an emotional roller coaster, sometimes it feels okaish, but then there are days, where you don't feel nothing at all. I don't have that to nearly the same extent in AC. Feels right about every time...

The Moose and snyperal like this.
  3. Dean Ogurek

Dean Ogurek Alien

That shouldn't happen although, some Sim's can be very sensitive to changes in USB connections. I had no such issues recently with iRacing.

4. chakko

chakko Alien

I read that a couple of times now. Frankly, i believe a sim should also drive well on a consumer wheel. There's loads of people with one out there. And if the sim only feels good on a DD wheel, then it's useless for me, because... i don't have a DD wheel. AC shows more than well that it's absolutely possible to have a convincing Force FEEDBACK on a consumer wheel. iRacing isn't even close to that. In fact, it's pretty ridiculous how it feels with a G27. Doesn't make sense at all.

5. Exactly, even more when the messages are like black or white. See for example:

6. slopps

slopps Simracer

i'm not dismissing iracing outright at all - my post concentrated on the ffb + physics itself. In my 2nd post i think, i do re-iterate the postive aspects of iracing, centered mainly around the online racing.
    and breaking news i just tried the Audi GT3 car and its good (see post above) so i'll do a proper comparison video on that vs the one in AC.

7. slopps

slopps Simracer

but that's one car. I've played the Frenault, star mazda, F1 car, HPD prototype, and C7 daytona prototype. All of them apart from the F1 car are terrible for ffb/physics, and the F1 car still has issues.
    Not good when you're paying so much money for it, and have to work your way through the licence categories to race a good car.

8. Just want to point out that the people saying you can overdrive and what not and not have any ill-effects, that there isn't any tyre-saving, are full of crap and don't know what the hell they're doing. That's objectively the truth.

With that said, the temp over-sensitivity is still crap.

Clearly I should just kill myself.

9. snyperal

snyperal Simracer

I'm glad its put a smile on your face, because lets face it, without that, whats the point? I am looking forward to your comparison video too. Have you tried the nordshclieffe? (excuse spelling) I love driving that circuit on both AC and Iracing (repeated graffiti textures notwithstanding) I think its great that our hobby has reached a point where between titles, its the little quirks that are discussed and not necessarily the content itself. :):):)

Derrellbiffle likes this.
  10. Dean Ogurek

Dean Ogurek Alien

Well said and I agree with most of your comments; when setup properly, that feeling of being connected to the road by rubber is superb and I haven't felt the same differences in various rubber-tire characteristics like I have in iRacing although, rF2 may come close. Other aspects of iRacing FFB may not measure up as well but, that "organic" description does apply.

Traind likes this.
  11. Excuse the spelling! If it wasn't for predictive text I would never get Nordscleife spelled correctly.

12. Nordschleife.... :p

martcerv and Derrellbiffle like this.
  13. Traind

Traind Hardcore Simmer

I had a G25 before upgrading and I did feel that iRacing ffb was underwhelming. I wouldn't say it was horrible but other sims outpaced it for me. After the upgrade it is much more competitive with the best ffb from other Sims. This isn't necessarily a positive thing for iRacing and their entire customer base but if you do upgrade your equipment you should give it another try.

Sent from my LGLS990 using Tapatalk 2

14. Dean Ogurek

Dean Ogurek Alien

Keep in mind that these things are all relative; FFB can be great with any wheel - especially coming from a game-pad or non-ffb perspective. Our definition of what constitutes "great FFB" may evolve over time or be forever altered by the changes in the hardware we use, software, drivers, game-updates, etc. There is good reason why new DD-wheel users often refer to the system as being a game-changer; such a description may sound dramatic but, the difference in FFB is just that - dramatic. It's not just about massive torque available, it's increased dynamics - at any strength setting.

It's not that easy to understand until you experience some things for yourself; DD-wheels and VR are like that. Words, pictures or videos just don't do them justice. For me, the DD-wheel has been the biggest Game-changer since I started playing Sims many years ago and that's saying something given all of the other recent advances in Sim-racing hardware including VR.

hazardic likes this.
  15. chakko

chakko Alien

Again, i believe that AC feels GREAT with a G27. Why should iRacing not feel GREAT with a G27? Seems like someone didn't do his job quite as good to me. I do get that, especially, wheels with an increased torque should give you even better feedback, but, the way iRacing implemented FFB, and that is, you get only the effects you get to the wheel in a real car, is already flawed. FFB is much more than giving you the effects a real car gives you to its STEERING WHEEL. At home, racing in your bureau chair, or even racing seat, you don't have the feeling of a real car. You don't feel the real car. Hence you have to get more feedback to the interface which is supposed to give you feedback in a sim. The wheel.

16. Jaye

Jaye Alien

Sorry I don't get what you want to tell me with this.

Just wanted to say when you try iRacing with the miata and it feels like driving a bus instead of a small and light roadster (in exaggerated words) then the sim is nothing for me. At least I should get a little idea that the game wants to tell me I'm sitting in a RWD car. Maybe other cars are better, maybe you can tweak things for a better feeling, but when a game wants so much money then it should deliver a good initial start.

This is just my personal opinion, when others enjoy iRacing then congratulations. I can respect this, but it's beyond things I can understand after my own experiences.

17. Dean Ogurek

Dean Ogurek Alien

It is odd how much the FFB can vary with different wheels in iRacing; sometimes it's just a matter of tuning out the free-play by using the minimum-force setting but, that doesn't explain all of it. I agree that we should get more out of the FFB than just basic information; after all, we are already at a huge disadvantage in the virtual world without set-of-the-pants forces as in RL. It seems like there is a sweet-spot in the FFB strength setting though; too high or too low and things can feel off more than in other titles. Maybe it's the Anti-placebo effect. :D

chakko likes this.
  18. How long have you been a member?

19. chakko

chakko Alien

Since 2010. I drove a bit back then, with my Logitech DFGT. Got active again in 2014 then, and first used my DFGT, then my G27. No problems i could recall really.

20. coret3x

coret3x Simracer

Slopps, your opinion coincide with my impressions as well. I gave up iracing after racing myself up to 2000 rating (not much, but hell it was okay). Tried AC and RF2 and kind of found them to be a lot better and closer to real world handling. Re-tried iracing some months just to get disappointed again. I wonder if all those iracing people understand what they miss by keeping on racing in their pretty poorly simulated cars.

Nahkamarakatti and Andrew_WOT like this.