1. Do you need support for Assetto Corsa Competizione? Please use the proper forum below and ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Logs" folder in your c:\users\*youruser*\AppData\Local\AC2\Saved. The "AppData" folder is hidden by default, check "Hidden items" in your Windows view properties. If you report a crash, ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Crashes" folder in the same directory. Do not post "I have the same issue" in an existing thread with a game crash, always open your own thread. Do not PM developers and staff members for personal troubleshooting and support.
  2. As part of our continuous maintenance and improvements to Assetto Corsa Competizione we will be releasing small updates on a regular basis during the esports season which might not go through the usual announcement process detailing the changes until a later version update where these changes will be listed retrospectively.
  3. If ACC doesn't start with an error or the executable is missing, please add your entire Steam directory to the exceptions in your antivirus software, run a Steam integrity check or reinstall the game altogether. Make sure you add the User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione folder to your antivirus/Defender exceptions and exclude it from any file sharing app (GDrive, OneDrive or Dropbox)! The Corsair iCue software is also known to conflict with Input Device initialization, if the game does not start up and you have such devices, please try disabling the iCue software and try again. [file:unknown] [line: 95] secure crt: invalid error is a sign of antivirus interference, while [Pak chunk signing mismatch on chunk] indicates a corrupted installation that requires game file verification.
  4. When reporting an issue with saved games, please always zip and attach your entire User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione/Savegame folder, along with the logs and the crash folder (when reporting related to a crash).

Looking for video card upgrade advice

Discussion in 'Chit Chat Room' started by f_deutsch, Oct 19, 2015.

1. f_deutsch

f_deutsch Hardcore Simmer

Hi all,

I currently have a GTX 660, which runs OK and fluid (60 fps) most of the time with medium settings, still sometimes I got about 52 fps but no less.

I am looking to upgrade to a GTX 770, which has a wider memory interface (256t vs the 192) which in theory should provide more memory bandwith, besides some other resource benefits the 770 has compared to the 660.

For the people that currently have a GTX 770, how do you rate it for Assetto Corsa?

Thanks for any feedback you can provide.

2. Similar Threads
    Forum Title Date
    Console Lounge Looking for videos of the new AI (mostly from its perspective) May 31, 2017
    Chit Chat Room Just noticed a familiar looking on-screen app in a video.... Jan 14, 2015
    Screens & Videos Encoding your ac movies in virtual dub [question]. post your best looking videos! Oct 17, 2014
    Screens & Videos Looking for people to make videos with + new ac video Aug 12, 2014
    ACC User Interface Looking for the view settings file Aug 8, 2023
    ACC Online Leagues / Championships room looking for championship in belgium, france, england, italie Dec 22, 2022
    Online Leagues / Championships room Looking for a Streamer for ACF1 Formula 1 Championship Oct 11, 2022
    Chit Chat Room Lights in mirror looking ugly (just inside car) Sep 23, 2022
    Troubleshooting - Workarounds Stuck looking at car on race start Aug 21, 2022
    ACC Controls & Peripherals Looking left and right Jun 17, 2022
    Chit Chat Room Newbie looking for guidance Jun 16, 2022
    Chit Chat Room Looking for part from Logitech G25 Jun 12, 2022
    Online Leagues / Championships room Indy 400 / Looking for Participants! (RSS) Jun 6, 2022
    Online Leagues / Championships room Starting a new ACC league, looking for members! May 26, 2022
    ACC Virtual Reality VR impossible to get reliable and good looking grafics May 23, 2022

3. Quffy

Quffy Alien

How much is the gtx770? But even so, I think you should save and aim higher for a card that gives better performance than only just a slight upgrade.
    edit. I was thinking more you had a 670, so going from 660 to 770 is more than a slight upgrade. However you should find some benchmarks on games with these two cards, then one you have and the one to buy.

4. burrito

burrito Alien

I am in same position but I have decided instead of buying a 770 or 970 I will wait for the new Pascal chips from NVIDIA in 2016 as apparently they will be a major update. If not then 970's will be a little cheaper by then so it's a win win. Unless ofc you can't wait then I would probably say the 770 is a good bet from what research I did. :)

Nick Moxley likes this.
  5. TTM

TTM Alien

I would say that buy 970 instead. Price is higher but performance boost is much better and you don't have to buy new card every year. :)

6. ouvert

ouvert Alien

I`ve got GTX 750 Ti (the faster Gainward GS version) and no issues at all ..with settings I`m using I`ll get on single screen 170-200 FPS, with 18-20 AI 90-130 .. depending on track .... 770 is pretty much twice faster (mem.bandwich, texel/pixel rate .. also eat 4x more power) so I recon you`ll be fine .. for me not worth the price as for less than half I`m getting result I need with "eco friendly" card ..

7. LRM

LRM Simracer

just wait for next video card generation in 2016 with HBM and 16/14 nm, because it will be a waste of money to buy a GDDR5 card knowing that a medium/entry level card next year will probably outperform it with substantial gain in power efficiency.

and a 660 is very capable at the moment with current sim, so you will not gain so much by changing it, only if you wich to upgrade into a 3 screens setup.

8. LetsTestDrive

LetsTestDrive Simracer

I have a GTX 660ti too. Both the 660 and 770 are really old cars. I don't think there would be a lot of difference between them in terms of FPS? I was contemplating getting a 970, but I'm really not having any problem issues with my 660 at the moment.

9. ouvert

ouvert Alien

660ti vs 770 should be round 25% increase ...

10. _Fulgore_

_Fulgore_ Racer

Set allready your aa to 2x and see a fps boost, try also with msi after burner and gpu-z to oc a little to 670 gtx specs, cube to static and 1 frame

You save money,cost only a little time to tweak

Upgrade to an "old" 770 is not worth the money...

Regards

Last edited: Oct 19, 2015
  11. AurusCE

AurusCE Racer

Unless you really need another GPU I think it's better to wait for 2016, since new chips are coming from both NVIDIA and AMD in 16nm or less. Also the 770 is nothing but a rebranded GTX 680.

12. jasjeet

jasjeet Racer

Gtx 770 = Gtx 680. Don't buy.
    Gtx 970 is the only thing I'd consider from your current card.

And there is no need to compare memory busses etc, just look at the benchmarks.

13. Xero

Xero Gamer

I have a 770, and AC is very smooth with all the graphics settings whacked up, so would recommend it.

Probably get a good price on one of these now, but as AurusCE said, nVidia are about to launch their Pascal GPUs next year, which will be a huge leap forward (3.5 times faster they say). If the price/power ratio is anything to go by you could pick up a 770, or even a 870, for peanuts if you can hold off 6 months or so.

f_deutsch and AurusCE like this.
  14. giant8900

giant8900 Rookie

If it were up to me, I'd stick with it till nVidia comes up with something new. But if you really can't wait, and if you could find one on the cheap, the 970 is the way to go.

15. LetsTestDrive

LetsTestDrive Simracer

Anyone on this thread have 3d mark scores for their systems? It would be a good way to compare our systems on equal terms.

16. LT1-Z/28

LT1-Z/28 Gamer

I would go for the 970 or r9 290 (x) . Or just wait until next year with the new cards. The 770 is good card but unless it is 4gb card and you are getting it dirt cheap I would not bother. You can go over 2gb on a 1080 monitor with the right settings.

17. CamsX

CamsX Racer

AMD user since like for ever (R9 390 currently), and if you must upgrade then the 970 takes my vote with your current options. Going for a 770 won't make much difference and you might end up considering upgrading again in 1 year or less.

I don't know what's your current budget, but depending on this my picks would be 980 > r9-390 > 970/290x > 960/r9-380 4GB. Don't go with anything older that any of those. Otherwise just wait for a mid tier card once Nvidia releases their new chips.

Edit: 3dmark scores last time I benched. http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/8495010

Last edited: Oct 22, 2015
  18. adaptable1

adaptable1 Racer

I run a GTX 770 with a 1080p projector and most settings maxed for AC. I have also owned a GTX 970 (two of them actually) and it can run AC with everything maxed in 1080p...probably in 1440p as well, and runs a bit cooler than the 770. Other than that the difference is negligible. The GTX 970 cannot run AC with 3 x 1080p screens & high settings in surround maxed even in SLI. So the 770 is a good cheap option, particularly with one 1080p display. However if you ever want to step up to a triple screen set up, you'll need 980 or 980ti in SLI. The 970 will buy you some longevity, but the 770 will work just fine for less money.

f_deutsch likes this.
  19. Guido Trampe

Guido Trampe Simracer

Look over here for an evaluation of the latest video cards:
    http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gaming-graphics-card-review,3107.html

And on the website you can find comparrison charts for all graphic cards over here: http://www.tomshardware.com/charts/graphics-cards,1.html

My advise would be a little off compared to the rest (i am mostly like that :)). In your case i would buy another GTX660 (preferably the same) secondhand and make a SLI setup. Yes it can be a hassle sometimes but the performance / money is one that cant be beaten...

20. Janne

Janne Rookie

By the way... Which gfx option affects texture detail in AC? I have 680GTX 2GB and i'm a bit short of vram.

21. I would expect the GTX 770 to be significantly more powerful than a GTX 660. I have a 2GB version of the GTX 770, and it runs AC very well indeed at reasonably high detail levels and 1920 x 1080 resolution.