1. Do you need support for Assetto Corsa Competizione? Please use the proper forum below and ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Logs" folder in your c:\users\*youruser*\AppData\Local\AC2\Saved. The "AppData" folder is hidden by default, check "Hidden items" in your Windows view properties. If you report a crash, ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Crashes" folder in the same directory. Do not post "I have the same issue" in an existing thread with a game crash, always open your own thread. Do not PM developers and staff members for personal troubleshooting and support.
  2. As part of our continuous maintenance and improvements to Assetto Corsa Competizione we will be releasing small updates on a regular basis during the esports season which might not go through the usual announcement process detailing the changes until a later version update where these changes will be listed retrospectively.
  3. If ACC doesn't start with an error or the executable is missing, please add your entire Steam directory to the exceptions in your antivirus software, run a Steam integrity check or reinstall the game altogether. Make sure you add the User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione folder to your antivirus/Defender exceptions and exclude it from any file sharing app (GDrive, OneDrive or Dropbox)! The Corsair iCue software is also known to conflict with Input Device initialization, if the game does not start up and you have such devices, please try disabling the iCue software and try again. [file:unknown] [line: 95] secure crt: invalid error is a sign of antivirus interference, while [Pak chunk signing mismatch on chunk] indicates a corrupted installation that requires game file verification.
  4. When reporting an issue with saved games, please always zip and attach your entire User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione/Savegame folder, along with the logs and the crash folder (when reporting related to a crash).

Generic Lotus 98T engine damage

Discussion in 'Console Lounge' started by TheRealJuralumin, May 9, 2017.

1. TheRealJuralumin

TheRealJuralumin Simracer

I just had a go in the Lotus 98T at the Nurburgring. On the default settings it was only hitting a top speed of just under 300km/h. Naturally I increased the gear ratio and turned the boost up all the way to 100%, while this did allow me to reach some pretty crazy speeds, the engine slowly started taking damage until eventually it blew.

It makes sense that pushing the engine that hard would eventually cause it to blow, but what I want to know is if there’s any way to avoid damaging the engine on higher boost settings? it seems like 70% is as high as you can go without causing damage, but that limits the top speed of the car to around 310km/h. There’s only 3 possible gear ratios, and without 100% boost you can’t reach the cars top speed on the max ratio. Managing the engine would be a lot easier on a small track, but on the full Nordschleife there’s so many flat out sections, if I want to go balls-out for a lap the engine is ruined before the finish line.

2. Similar Threads
    Forum Title Date
    Graphics and Models/Tracks Bugs & Issues Lotus 98t Driver Suit Jun 21, 2020
    Chit Chat Room Lotus 98T Trail braking and downshifting with GTeye springs May 20, 2020
    Console Lounge WHL#62 Ayrton Senna's Lotus 98T Jan 2, 2018
    Chit Chat Room I tought temperatures make only GT and Formula modern cars faster, but Lotus 98t becomes faster too Oct 2, 2017
    Troubleshooting - Workarounds Can't launch Silverstone 1967 with Lotus 98T Jul 19, 2017
    Screens & Videos Lotus 98T at Nordschleife [WR] Apr 30, 2017
    Chit Chat Room How do I manage the turbo life with the Lotus 98T? Mar 21, 2017
    GUI - HUDs - Apps Bugs & Issues Ayrton Senna - Lotus 98T WAS 1986, NOT 1985!! Feb 19, 2017
    Chit Chat Room Let's talk Lotus 98T Feb 17, 2017
    Physics Bugs & Issues Lotus 98T is waaay fast Feb 15, 2017
    Chit Chat Room Lotus 98T Turbo pop crackle any updated imroved sound files ? Feb 4, 2017
    Chit Chat Room Useage of the turbo? (Lotus 98T@Silverstone67) Dec 17, 2016
    Screens & Videos 2 new videos: Lotus 98T & The simrig in detail! Dec 13, 2016
    PlayStation 4 Discussions Lotus 98T Topspeed and missing power ? Sep 15, 2016
    General modding discussion Lotus 98T Rims (colouring) Aug 7, 2016

3. In those years they had "qualify engines" which would literally survive for a session because run at very high turbo boost levels and that's what you find in AC. There is no way to run over 70% without damage, it's all by design.

4. TheRealJuralumin

Wow, I didn’t know about that... Pretty incredible, and to have that in the game, that’s amazing dedication to detail!

5. Schnipp

Schnipp Alien

I think BMW peaked somewhere around 1400hp from those 1,5l 4-cyl. engine's they were running in that time.

I think that makes it clear how those engine's (and turbo's) were tortured in qualifying trim.

TheRealJuralumin likes this.
  6. The boost was also used during the race to make overtakes easier, the driver will boost to max for some seconds just enough to get enough speed to pass... it obviously came with some risks of burning the engine if used too often or too long.

7. TheRealJuralumin

"By 1986, power figures were reaching unprecedented levels, with all engines reaching over 1,000 hp during qualifying with unrestricted turbo boost pressures; This was especially seen with the BMW engines of Benetton's cars, reaching around 1,350 hp at a 5.5 bar boost pressure during qualifying. However, these engines & gearboxes were very unreliable because of the engine's immense power, and would only last about four laps” - Taken from the Wikipedia article on F1 engine regulations.

This is the sort of stuff in motoring history that I love, when teams and engineers push regulations to the limit. I knew about the “Turbo era” but I didn’t know just how crazy it got. Learn something new everyday I guess.

mister dog likes this.
  8. matz_AUT

matz_AUT Hardcore Simmer

Gerhard Berger, on several occasions, is quoted to have said, that in 1986 the Engine in his Benetton BMW in qualifying trim was so powerful, that he would spin the rear tyres at top gear at over 300km/h, and in the dry, as is also mentioned in this article:
    http://gtspirit.com/2014/05/31/the-most-powerful-f1-car-ever/
    It propably never got any better then that, although I equally adored the early 90s V10/V12 cars.

9. Gevatter

Gevatter Alien

I heard in some documentary that BMW couldn't definitely say how much power their enines of that era had because their testing equipment wasn't built for that kind of HP. But don't quote me on that.

10. Luke7

Luke7 Simracer

I saw this car at the Adelaide Motorsport festival late last year and it was pretty incredible. I doubt that they were running it at full boost, but it was palpable that the car just took off like a rocket every time the driver stepped on the accelerator. I think back in 86 this car was putting out 1450 bhp. Quite incredible, really, considering that today's fuel -saving parade in F1 means that 1000 bhp is virtually impossible to attain.

Schnipp likes this.
  11. Radfahrer

Radfahrer Hardcore Simmer

iirc the Lotus 98T engine starts to destroy itself past 4.2+ bars of turbopressure, which would be roundabout 74% of boost or somewhere there .

Dont spank me too hard if its wrong, I pulled that just off of the top of my head .
    Incredible engines, nonetheless, to withstand such torturing .

12. alex21212121

alex21212121 Gamer

The Sauber C9 also has this. So the only way to use it is to turn it up to 100% for a straight and then cycle through back to 70% after? Seems like it would be easier if there was a button to press to change back to default more quickly

13. kashifm

kashifm Racer

From Wikipedia about the 1986 F1 season...

"... there were qualifying engines (as described above) nicknamed "grenades" that had unrestricted boost pressure, and qualifying gearboxes, ones that were designed to withstand the engine's immense power; these components would only last about 3–4 minutes (2–3 laps) during use."

14. mister dog

mister dog Alien

Glad I found this thread, the wild 80's! Imagine this in today's era of conserving parts, cost cutting and environmentalism, if they would still use throwaway engines and gearboxes for a few laps until they explode . :D