1. Do you need support for Assetto Corsa Competizione? Please use the proper forum below and ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Logs" folder in your c:\users\*youruser*\AppData\Local\AC2\Saved. The "AppData" folder is hidden by default, check "Hidden items" in your Windows view properties.
    Dismiss Notice

Low framerate in quick race

Discussion in 'ACC General Discussions' started by Dividends, Sep 13, 2018.

1. mikendrix

mikendrix Racer

mmmh it’s interesting, now I see clearly I should consider higher frequencies... Of course it’s more expensive but I can wait !
    Thanks!

2. f_deutsch

f_deutsch Hardcore Simmer

Hi all. After reading some of the comments here I want to clarify some points, even for some may be more than obvious, just want to make sure expectations are spot on.

- More memory capacity will not improve performance after some point. Indeed, a system in low memory conditions will result in stuttering and unstable fps. I would recommend at least 12GB memory, 16GB will be fine. 8GB is a no go on my experience. Even most of our sims do not use too much memory, there are some OS process that consume it. Also, the more memory available, the more memory the OS will use to load and cache system modules on RAM, resulting in better performance in general.

- CPUs in general can gain advantage of faster memory, usually when they are overclocked, but as always there is a limit. My previous 2500K specs specifies memory speeds up to 1066mhz-1333mhz. I was able to use memory at speeds up to 1600mhz stable. Now, even with a Corsair DDR3 2400mhz memory spec, I was not able to make the 2500k work stable with the memory at 1866mhz . This seems to be a limitation of the Sandy Bridge memory controller, rather than a memory or a motherboard issue (it could be a mobo issue but I am not 100% sure). Probably most recent generations on CPUs may not have this limitation. I am currently using a 8350K at 4.6Mhz with a Corsair DDR4 3000mhz spec. I have being able to run the memory at 3200mhz stable (may require more testing, prime95 did not report errors on 5 minutes run, at least, and ACC 20 AI race ran for 20 minutes with no issues) and still see a small gain in fps, on heavy 3d scenarios.

- Always, ALWAYS acquire memory in two memory modules packages so you will use dual channel mode. Having only one module will result on the memory working in single channel mode, reducing your memory bandwidth speed. Always check your motherboard documentation on where to place your memory modules on the motherboard slots to ensure proper dual channel mode.

Hope this information will be useful.

LeDude83, mikendrix and Ace Pumpkin like this.
  3. f_deutsch

4. mikendrix

mikendrix Racer

Dual channel... On my MSI Gaming 5 it's the slots 2 and 4.
    My CPUcooling system is too big, it goes over slots 3 and 4... So I must install the RAM on 1 and 2, no dual channel for me

5. f_deutsch

Oh bummer ! I was close to a similar situation. I use a the Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO and I have to place the memory modules before installing the cooler.

6. LeDude83

LeDude83 Alien