1. Do you need support for Assetto Corsa Competizione? Please use the proper forum below and ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Logs" folder in your c:\users\*youruser*\AppData\Local\AC2\Saved. The "AppData" folder is hidden by default, check "Hidden items" in your Windows view properties. If you report a crash, ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Crashes" folder in the same directory. Do not post "I have the same issue" in an existing thread with a game crash, always open your own thread. Do not PM developers and staff members for personal troubleshooting and support.
  2. As part of our continuous maintenance and improvements to Assetto Corsa Competizione we will be releasing small updates on a regular basis during the esports season which might not go through the usual announcement process detailing the changes until a later version update where these changes will be listed retrospectively.
  3. If ACC doesn't start with an error or the executable is missing, please add your entire Steam directory to the exceptions in your antivirus software, run a Steam integrity check or reinstall the game altogether. Make sure you add the User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione folder to your antivirus/Defender exceptions and exclude it from any file sharing app (GDrive, OneDrive or Dropbox)! The Corsair iCue software is also known to conflict with Input Device initialization, if the game does not start up and you have such devices, please try disabling the iCue software and try again. [file:unknown] [line: 95] secure crt: invalid error is a sign of antivirus interference, while [Pak chunk signing mismatch on chunk] indicates a corrupted installation that requires game file verification.
  4. When reporting an issue with saved games, please always zip and attach your entire User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione/Savegame folder, along with the logs and the crash folder (when reporting related to a crash).

PS4 lowering frame rate with ps4 pro

Discussion in 'Bug reports' started by Luciano Micale, Dec 31, 2016.

1. Luciano Micale

Luciano Micale Simracer

Hi kunos, thank you for this beautifull sim. I'm completely addicted to it. Infact i bought the seat and the wheel, also changed from ps4 to ps4 pro (i have a 4k tv...).
    Sometime i noticed lowering of the frame rate, should i expect that?!? I mean whit a ps4 pro and 4k that should not occur or i am missing something?!?

Thank you and happy new year

2. Similar Threads
    Forum Title Date
    Graphics and Models/Tracks Bugs & Issues AF is lowering framerate by about 40-50%. Nov 12, 2013
    ACC Rating & Leaderboards Can't gain any SA anymore after offline SA lowering attempt Jan 16, 2020
    ACC Controls & Peripherals Wheel not responding when lowering "dynamic dampening" to 0% Oct 11, 2018
    ACC Audio Lowering the Radio comms volume to 0 fixes my stuttering Oct 10, 2018
    Graphics and Models/Tracks Bugs & Issues Very Lowering FPS Oculus RIFT CV1 Apr 12, 2017
    Physics modding - Cars & Tyres Does ac model the change in rc when lowering? Oct 12, 2015
    Audio Bugs & Issues Bad Sound (solved: lowering wind/surface volume) Mar 20, 2014
    ACC PS4/PS5/XB1/XBX/S General Discussions Frame drop or freeze on Xbox series X Mar 17, 2024
    ACC Virtual Reality Inconsistent frame rate on App Render GPU Time arround 7-9ms Dec 7, 2023
    ACC Troubleshooting Any kind of frame limiter or VSYNC will cause ACC to crash, but image is unstable without it Jul 4, 2023
    ACC Troubleshooting Horrible frame rates PC Jul 1, 2023
    ACC Troubleshooting Low framerate with 3080 12gb Jan 23, 2023
    Programming Language - Apps - GUI Themes Assetto Corsa rally timing framework - Patrick Brunner's co-driver mod 2.0 Jun 18, 2022
    ACC Troubleshooting Frame Rate Drops, Freezing and CTD Mar 5, 2022
    ACC Troubleshooting Frame drops after 1.8.8 patch Feb 12, 2022

3. kofotsjanne

kofotsjanne Alien

This is how I have understood it.
    Assetto Corsa doesnt support PS pro so you are not supposed to get any boost in performance but I think I have seen that this have happend in games anyway (feel free to correct me).

Your game is still running in whatever the resolution is on the regular PS4 so it wont change because you have a tv with 4k or the PS pro. It sounds weird that you get worse performance.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2016
  4. Mauler_77

Mauler_77 Racer

Digital Foundry have previously reported that some games run worse on Pro at 1080p than they do on the base PS4, which is ridiculous in itself. Is your Pro trying to upscale the game? Go into the console settings and change the display output resolution to 1080p and see if there's a difference.

5. Sohail_16

Sohail_16 Gamer

I just want to say that the game does look better on a 4ktv+ the ps4pro. I have an Elgato recording device and I hooked it up to the ps4pro to record Assetto Corsa and unfortunately the Elgato only supports 1080p coming on the TV(so instead of seeing the game in 4K on my tv it was only 1080p) and lemme tell you the amount of jagged lines I saw made me choke. Idk much about 4K technology or anything like that but I will tell you that with my eyes the game look smoother(not in frame rate but the objects) everything that is far is clear as something near. And about the lower framerate unfortunately (and I'm not sure why) the ps4pro doesn't work like the xboxslim which actually gives games a boost in performance without Devs needing to patch it. For the pro, it's just emulates the game as it if was a original ps4. Maybe if we message KUNOS, they might do a pro patch. I would hope so because my friend called this game ugly and I was wondering why and it's because he's playing on an ogps4 with a 1080p tv.

6. kofotsjanne

kofotsjanne Alien

The game doesnt render in 4k just because you have a 4k tv.

UntrainedN00B01 likes this.
  7. Luciano Micale

Luciano Micale Simracer

You see, i'm not searching for incredibly detailed cars or landscapes, it's a sim, i noticed that in some corners (nurburgring gp, first corner), when all cars are toghether braking, you have a sensible frame rate drop. The guys from kunos have addressed this problem for ps4 and infact is better than before, but sometimes still happens...and in ps4 pro. I hope they try to work on this, as they do before, to completely solve this problem. Maybe also a special patch for ps4 pro?!?

Have a fast and beautifull 2017

kofotsjanne likes this.
  8. jayd_10

jayd_10 Gamer

If the game doesn't have an specific PS4 Pro patch, the PS4 Pro behaves exactly as a regular PS4. It lowers the CPU clock and disables half of the GPU to match the specs of a regular PS4 so Sony makes sure that there are no compatibility issues for any PS4 title.

So, for assetto at the moment (as for many other games) there are no differences in performance of any kind between regular PS4 an PS4 Pro.

I recomend to read this article: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2016-playstation-4-pro-review

9. Sohail_16

Sohail_16 Gamer

I never said it did, all I said was that to me all the jagged lines in 1080p were gone in 4K.

And you have to sit pretty close too see this Minor difference...

10. Mauler_77

Mauler_77 Racer

I only race with a maximum of 12 cars on track and the framerate is better than with a full grid of 16. Very noticeable at Nords if you want to test it out for yourself.

11. jayd_10

jayd_10 Gamer

You can also disable the damage, you will avoid the drops of frames when contact accurs

Mauler_77 likes this.
  12. Mauler_77

Mauler_77 Racer

Good point. I can't believe this stutter still happens whenever the damage indicator pops up. Literally makes no sense. There's also a slight stutter when cycling from the tyre temp HUD to the next one with the map display on it.

13. Donnced2

Donnced2 Alien

Any PS4 game (Assetto Corsa including) that don't receive an update for use the extra performance of the PS4 Pro will run on it just on equal performance than the standard PS4.

And, even if a game receive an update that use the extra performance of the console
    In the online mode the game has to run at equal framerate than in the original PS4.
    That is a law from Sony, so they don't fracture the two players community's.(PS4 & PS4 Pro)

The developers of a game are also free to decide if they want to give the upgrade update to a the game or not..

Like the studio that made the witcher 3 decided to not update the game for use the extra performance of the PS4 Pro..

So we will see if Kunos Simulazioni is interested in making an PS4 Pro upgrade update for Assetto or not.

14. Sohail_16

Sohail_16 Gamer

I thought Battlefield 1 has better framerate on multiplayer for the ps4pro no?

15. Donnced2

Donnced2 Alien

Yes in the beginning between 10-15fps better on PS4 Pro than on the normal..
    Then the game received an other update on 16th November disabling the pro upgrade in online multiplayer .. Below you have what the web eurogamer said :

"UPDATE 16/11/16 10:02am: We've seen reports and discussion of reduced performance on PlayStation 4 Pro since the introduction of patch 1.04 yesterday, leading to speculation that the Pro features are disabled in the new update. Temporal anti-aliasing has been been tweaked, but we can rule out the disabling of Pro enhancements as our data is taken from the game running the 1.04 update. We've also just re-ran a small section of campaign tests and see no obvious impact to performance."
    http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/d...eld-1-smoother-and-more-responsive-on-ps4-pro

Sony want to avoid framerate difference between the pro & standard players saying that :

"Q: Will PS4 Pro owners have a performance advantage in online games when competing against standard PS4 players?
    Generally, no. Playtesting and balancing is up to each game developer, and while it’s true that PS4 Pro’s more powerful hardware can drive smoother or more stable frame rates in supported titles, developers have many tools and processes they can use to prevent imbalances.
    http://blog.us.playstation.com/2016/09/08/ps4-pro-the-ultimate-faq/

16. The cpu upclock on the pro should remain in place for non patched ps4 games as it would help with better fps to disable it is stupid. The only thing Sony won't allow is the pro running at 60fps in online and the ps4 running at 30fps. As for the game having no Jagged lines at 4K but having them at 1080p that shouldn't be possible as the upscale just stretches the 1080p image to fill the 4K resolution so the jagged edges should be more visible

17. LeDude83

LeDude83 Alien

^^The 4K TV or the PS4 Pro certainly (or both) has an upscaler, no? They do a lot more than simply clone pixels to match the new resolution. They surely can't reach native 4K quality but if it's done well they can achieve good results.

murfo likes this.
  18. Yes but he said when running the pro through the elgato to his 4K tv the quality was horrible, the tv should still have upscaled the 1080p image from the elgato to 4K resolution. My point was the jaggies should still be there, if there are jaggies in a native 1080p image then there should be jaggies in a 1080p image upscaled do to 4K

19. Donnced2

Donnced2 Alien

On pro patched games the resolution goes from 4K native on old gen remastered like The Last of us. And new games like tomb raider or the next Horizon or GT Sport works at a 1800p upscaled with checkerboard up to 4K.

The normal games that don't receive an Pro upgrade patch works completely like on the standard PS4 but with 4K screens they get stretched up to the TV resolution.. But the output from the console is 1080p or 900p or dinamic 1080p resolution depending the game.

UntrainedN00B01 likes this.
  20. Stew1977

Stew1977 Gamer

A. There were literally a handful of launch titles that dipped a few frames. All have now been patched.

B. They weren't running basic 1080p, rather a variety of resolutions well above 1080p (ie 1600p), and then downsampled. This gives far superior image quality in addition to extra effects like better AA and shadows.

21. Stew1977

Stew1977 Gamer

The Pro upgrade was not disabled in online multiplayer. Dice (unknowingly) made a change to dynamic resolution settings that hit framerate. This has since been fixed. On Pro BF1 has much higher resolution (around 1600p, upscaled to 4k), and a framerate that sticks far closer to the 60fps target. On base PS4 it can be down to 35-45fps.

The stipulation from Sony is the target framerate needs to be the same, ie 60fps in BF1, not the exact same framerate across both consoles.

In the case of Assetto Corsa, a Pro patch would take the title onto a whole other level. Much closer to a high end PC setup. A near locked 60fps should be possible, in addition to a 4k checkerboard resolution, better shadows, AA etc.

I'm sure I speak for many Pro owners, I'm in no hurry for a Pro patch. I understand Kunos are a small team coming to grips with console development and the DLC release schedule. That said, it would be great to get confirmation a Pro patch is on their road map. Pro support is going to be standard across future titles, including the major racing titles.

With Assetto Corsa being delivered to us as a platform, with more updates and DLC planned. It makes perfect sense to present the title in the best possible technical state, and that means patched for PS4 Pro.