1. Do you need support for Assetto Corsa Competizione? Please use the proper forum below and ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Logs" folder in your c:\users\*youruser*\AppData\Local\AC2\Saved. The "AppData" folder is hidden by default, check "Hidden items" in your Windows view properties. If you report a crash, ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Crashes" folder in the same directory. Do not post "I have the same issue" in an existing thread with a game crash, always open your own thread. Do not PM developers and staff members for personal troubleshooting and support.
  2. As part of our continuous maintenance and improvements to Assetto Corsa Competizione we will be releasing small updates on a regular basis during the esports season which might not go through the usual announcement process detailing the changes until a later version update where these changes will be listed retrospectively.
  3. If ACC doesn't start with an error or the executable is missing, please add your entire Steam directory to the exceptions in your antivirus software, run a Steam integrity check or reinstall the game altogether. Make sure you add the User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione folder to your antivirus/Defender exceptions and exclude it from any file sharing app (GDrive, OneDrive or Dropbox)! The Corsair iCue software is also known to conflict with Input Device initialization, if the game does not start up and you have such devices, please try disabling the iCue software and try again. [file:unknown] [line: 95] secure crt: invalid error is a sign of antivirus interference, while [Pak chunk signing mismatch on chunk] indicates a corrupted installation that requires game file verification.
  4. When reporting an issue with saved games, please always zip and attach your entire User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione/Savegame folder, along with the logs and the crash folder (when reporting related to a crash).

Mod Series rather than just cars

Discussion in 'Chit Chat Room' started by Warag, Mar 4, 2016.

1. Warag

Warag Rookie

Hey,

im new to this game so i have a mod related question. Back in the days i used to play games like rfactor, and i really liked that this game had mods for all kinds of series. Like F1-mods from different eras (60's, 70's etc.) and other championships. In this game i only found track or car mods, but not a specific series mod that included all cars.

Will there ever be a whole series modded to this game? Does anybody of you know a place where you can download Series Mods? If not is there a reason there are no series-mods?

2. Similar Threads
    Forum Title Date
    Troubleshooting - Workarounds Series in career mode - doesnt save standings, why ? Feb 15, 2015
    General modding discussion (update) blackseries 3.0 + overcast mode Jan 1, 2015
    General modding discussion Career mode: fia gt series Oct 19, 2014
    Troubleshooting - Workarounds Sls amg spa career mode intermediate series 2 Oct 17, 2014
    Troubleshooting - Workarounds Only series one works in career mode Oct 16, 2014
    3D car models Russian drift series cars mod and other drift cars Sep 9, 2014
    ACC Troubleshooting Freezing only in windowed / borderless mode Apr 8, 2024
    Chit Chat Room Assetto Corsa Evo Modding Support? Apr 4, 2024
    ACC PS4/PS5/XB1/XBX/S General Discussions ACC chrashed started Race in carriere modus Apr 2, 2024
    Bug reports Ps5-Crashed startet Race carriere modus Apr 2, 2024
    General modding discussion Guest Mode For Content Manager Mar 7, 2024
    ACC Troubleshooting Missing 2020 season in the championship mode Feb 25, 2024
    ACC Gameplay Saving in championship mode Jan 17, 2024
    ACC Troubleshooting Objects not rendering when triple mode enabled Dec 30, 2023
    General modding discussion TOP 10 car mods for Assetto Corsa Dec 30, 2023

3. Brownninja97

Brownninja97 Alien

Yes there will be but it takes time. Please understand that with the generation change comes an increase in difficulty.

1. Cars take longer to model now, due to the better graphics its forced people into becoming perfectionist. Its seriously to the point where a lod 2,3 could suffice for an rfactor mod 8 or so years ago.
    2. Skins take more time, this isnt much of an issue but when you look at what Nwrap did for the ford sierra then it can get put into perspective, some mods require a lot of skins.
    3. physics have gotten harder to do, with more parameters introduced more calculations have to be done, different areas are focused on, there are areas where AC is better then another title and vice versa. This means there could be a limitation that you might need to foresee.

Generally modding takes a lot more time these days but projects are happening, DRM revival is likely making a stand this summer, URD are doing whatever they do, IER nearly have a line up for at least one car for all classes in the series they are doing and fordman is converting the 2014 BTCC car pack as we speak. So there is your answer, you just have to be a bit patient or if you cant patient then you are like me which means you should just take control and learn how to mod.

4. Dutchyfutch

Dutchyfutch Hardcore Simmer

No one pays us to mod and with all the new things we have to take into account and 95% of the people that bother us about a button being off center by 0.001 mm .. Yeah we get tired of that. We rather just move in silence... there's so many unannounced mods that will surface this year on this forum.

5. Rolf Kazamba

Rolf Kazamba Simracer

That sounds promising. :) Besides, I can fully unterstand the idea of not showing wip models until they're close to release. There are just too many people asking for weekly updates putting unjustified pressure on modders. And then there are those trolls who are convinced they have a right to get a new mod within a month. o_O
    On the other hand I'm sure most people asking for updates are just curious and don't want to put pressure on the modders. That's the part where patience comes into play. :rolleyes:

@Warag : When you're ok with paying for a mod car series, you might want to search for URD. ;)

6. Not really, at least if the comparison is with rFactor.

I agree thought that overall it takes more time, years ago people didn't expect super accurate models due to hardware limitations but that's not the case nowadays. I would also add that many times the simracing community doesn't appreciate these kind of full series mods that much, I remember for example mods like CTDP 2006 with a level of detail that was sick (all cars+upgrades both visually and physically) and then the mp lobby was full of leagues using the typical crap f1 mod with codemasters models and random physics. I think that doesn't help to motivate modders to invest so much time, and instead they make individual cars. That is at least my perception.

7. Brownninja97

Brownninja97 Alien

sadly some of that hasnt changed, so many converted stuff and my brother likes drifting and i tried to get him into a few servers but no i am forced to download ripped cars. its a real shame that those get so much attention when there are fantastic scratch made drifters on this forum.

Leemstradamus likes this.
  8. Dutchyfutch

Dutchyfutch Hardcore Simmer

Adding onto that.. I'd rather make a car or track I like than to make something I don't like.

9. ALB123

ALB123 Alien

I can't stand hopping into a mod thread here on the official forums, the mod in question is clearly a WIP and then seeing some post along the lines of "Looks great! Umm... So, do you have a release date?" I just wanna strangle those people. It will be done when it's done. If they only knew how difficult it is to model an entire car in 3dsmax or Blender or Maya, etc. Then all the testing involved. And how about that mod builder also gets some time to just relax and play Assetto Corsa instead of just devoting his/her time to creating for the community? Or, how about that mod creator might just want to take a week or two off to do other things in life? I'm sure some people ask that question because they're genuinely excited and they don't mean to be rude, but unfortunately, there are just so many people who want something for nothing. They would never even consider tossing a couple of bucks towards a high quality modder. They just want, want, want...

10. Filippo94

Filippo94 Alien

There are people that just want to work to make other people happy. Often a modder's work can be way more time consuming and hard than an officially made content. Just think about not having any kind of info from the manufacter, using a consumer computer to run huge programs like 3dsMax, and often not having the correct "training" for what you want to do (which makes you quite slower, even if often the result is as good as a pro). And people decide to do it for free, because they like it, and like making people happy with their work.

But sometimes the ungratefulness of the community is so big that you start asking if there's a point doing so much work for them. Luckly we had not a high load of those kind of people, but other modders on this forum were not as lucky, and I feel them, because it just makes your enjoyment something you want to escape from.

11. Brownninja97

Brownninja97 Alien

A while back someone said my Blue Falcon wasnt realistic, its a miracle that im still alive.

12. Warag

Warag Rookie

Thanks for replying to all. I will just wait and see what comes. Im not one of those people asking every 2 days for a certain mod to be released, and for me the mods dont need to be 100% accurate. Im not obsessed with realism im more of a fungamer, but i appreciate it if modders try to make a mod as realistic as they can.

I asked because i was curious about how things work in this game and i didnt find any topic related to this stuff. I didnt want to look impatient. I just like full series mods because of the immersion.

@David Dominguez Yes i can understand that modders are demotivated by that, but stuff like CTDP 2006 is what made this game great for me.

13. LeSunTzu

LeSunTzu Alien

There are F1 mods with all or most of recent cars : ACFL, F1SR, probably others too.

14. Shaun Clarke

Shaun Clarke Alien

Thanks for the plug @Brownninja97 and hopefully an update will be very soon. Had surgery on the top of my leg today, so a little sore and tender. My wife has just added extra padding to my seat, so at least I can now sit down LOL

Shaun

Leemstradamus and Brownninja97 like this.
  15. Brownninja97

Brownninja97 Alien

walk it off lad

16. Shaun Clarke

Shaun Clarke Alien

Where's the magic sponge :D

Brownninja97 likes this.
  17. Leemstradamus

Leemstradamus Hardcore Simmer

Great discussion so far!

I'm for one so enjoying quite a few scratch made mods and have donated and paid for some payware mods. It has been said already that mods for this generation of mods are at a much higher level and take a considerable amount more time to complete. I'm looking forward to the new DRM revival mod!

I think a lot of the issues with the community has to do with the wide range of people who play the game. Kids don't much care and a lot of people are into the car collecting instead of the story and quality of the car. I'm hoping somebody does an art book about their mod that shows the process and sells it to gain some income. I've just purchased the xcom 2 and total war art books and am really enjoying them.

Filippo94 likes this.
  18. Fonsecker

Fonsecker Alien

I am in modding busines for more than 15 years and things have changed that much in tha past few years. Back in Rfactor days, it was much easier to creat a mod. But it also took very uich time. I release few very good mods for RF and even if it was much easier than now, a single car mod took at least one year of developement.
    So nothing new in sapects of time.

But what i can say, the modders have changed! back in the days, the usual modder was more motivated and had more time than the modders from now. Today you have tons of announcements, some first renders of the 3D model but most of the mods dissapear because the modders realize lat, that it needs more than just a great 3d model.

Ans most of the old and well known moddrs and modding teams dissapeared. They grow up, got private life, family, children and so there is no longer that time, we had 10 years ago.

Anyway, one of the problems, we have that less good mods is also, that there is not that interest in the community in mods in the long therm. Look at the public servers: there are few servers with mods. There are some servers running Nordschleife and random cars, some GT3 servers and thats all. So where are the fans which are begging the modders to release stuff, but not racing it?

On the other hand, most of the mods where released in an early beta stage for unknown reason. I got bored from being a beta tester...

the question is, how can we improve this situation? How can we motivate the modders to finish their projects, to focus on the models and things?

Quffy, McNappa and Brownninja97 like this.
  19. LeSunTzu

LeSunTzu Alien

I don't think you can make such a general statement about lack of interest in mods. In the league in which I am a member we use mods a lot and for the last six months there were open and championship races with cars like the RSR F3, Nissan Primera, FR3.5 and tracks like Modena, Bridgehampton, Donington, Barbagallo, Mills Metropark, Hockenheim, Portimao, etc. In the German ACR BMW 235i open championship I entered last year, more than half of races were on modded tracks.

Public servers use GT2 and GT3 because that's the "lowest common denominator" between casual and less casual players, just like discussing football at the pub with strangers.

20. Brownninja97

Brownninja97 Alien

apart from group c there isnt much which isnt covered yet

21. ALB123

ALB123 Alien

THAT is the million dollar question. I think some people jump into this with the best of intentions. Unfortunately, I also think that many don't truly know just how involved the process is. Not only is it involved, but it's also incredibly difficult. Modelling a car, for instance, is incredibly complex -- especially modelling it to be exactly the same as the real life version. Oh, and nowadays the interior also needs to be modeled! Unless you already have 3dsmax/Blender/Maya/XSI experience, it is going to be a VERY steep learning curve. Of course it is possible, but it's going to be very difficult. Put it this way, I started using 3dsmax back when it was called 3D Studio Max, version 2.5 to be precise. I kept up with it for several years and then gave it up, for the most part. I still know it very well, but even I balk at creating a car or track because I know just how difficult it is...and time consuming!

And then the modelling is only part of it. Heck, unless you're just planning on making it a solid color, unwrapping the model for texturing can be incredibly complex if the car has a lot of various shapes, like most race cars. The physics and testing to make the car behave like the real world version of the car is a tremendous amount of work too. I'm sure most people reading this already know all this stuff, but I think there are also quite a few people who don't fully know just how much work goes into creating a single vehicle and/or a single race track. At least with the race tracks you don't have to worry about duplicating physics.

I think sometimes people think of a car that they want in the game, get excited and make a post announcing the beginning of the project. They might even have some screenshots of a very early WIP of the mesh. Unless that person is a seasoned modeler or whatever, I think that person should actually message a few people before doing anything and put together a small team before anything else. At least a tester or two, maybe a sound guy or a physics guy. Even if it's only a two man team, I think that increases the odds of the project seeing completion. You have someone motivating you and helping as well.

I agree...A few more Group C cars would be wonderful! The Minolta Toyota 88C-V and the Nissan R92CP would make excellent additions to the Mazda 787 and Sauber Benz C9 that we currently have.