1. Do you need support for Assetto Corsa Competizione? Please use the proper forum below and ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Logs" folder in your c:\users\*youruser*\AppData\Local\AC2\Saved. The "AppData" folder is hidden by default, check "Hidden items" in your Windows view properties. If you report a crash, ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Crashes" folder in the same directory. Do not post "I have the same issue" in an existing thread with a game crash, always open your own thread. Do not PM developers and staff members for personal troubleshooting and support.
  2. As part of our continuous maintenance and improvements to Assetto Corsa Competizione we will be releasing small updates on a regular basis during the esports season which might not go through the usual announcement process detailing the changes until a later version update where these changes will be listed retrospectively.
  3. If ACC doesn't start with an error or the executable is missing, please add your entire Steam directory to the exceptions in your antivirus software, run a Steam integrity check or reinstall the game altogether. Make sure you add the User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione folder to your antivirus/Defender exceptions and exclude it from any file sharing app (GDrive, OneDrive or Dropbox)! The Corsair iCue software is also known to conflict with Input Device initialization, if the game does not start up and you have such devices, please try disabling the iCue software and try again. [file:unknown] [line: 95] secure crt: invalid error is a sign of antivirus interference, while [Pak chunk signing mismatch on chunk] indicates a corrupted installation that requires game file verification.
  4. When reporting an issue with saved games, please always zip and attach your entire User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione/Savegame folder, along with the logs and the crash folder (when reporting related to a crash).

My suggestion for race starts (the rubber band effect).

Discussion in 'ACC General Discussions' started by Thug, May 8, 2019.

1. Mitja Bonca

Mitja Bonca Alien

Exactly.
    I go for 2nd option.
    --

I just don't get how ret***** someone must be not to do that simple start and following to green flag procedure. Just can't.
    If one bought ACC, Im sure he knew what he was buying, so that means he must love pure sim racing or at least know a bit what real racing is about. And how can he mess that simple starting procdure?
    For me unimaginable.

2. Arlo

Arlo Racer

I understand what you are saying. Accidents will happen and no system will make it fool proof. I like multi class racing in Iracing and most not all but most of the time starting behind the safety car works fine, T1 incidents will happen no matter what procedure. And if you hit or overtake someone it will affect your SR/SA.

3. LeDude83

LeDude83 Alien

Thanks for clarifying. In my language it sounds like one of the worst jobs in the world :p

Dookie, PiretSS2000, chksix and 3 others like this.
  4. nrc689

nrc689 Simracer

I know that many of you disagree about the semi-automatic start because it is not 100% simulation. But it is the game itself that cannot be simulated because the real drivers must take care of their car. If they hit another car in the formation lap and make 100,000 euros of damage, the team fires you. So in a game where everyone don't cares about breaking the car you have to find a way to stop it. We should introduce the cost of spare parts (I'm kidding!).
    LeDude83 :oops::(

chksix likes this.
  5. Luatz1

Luatz1 Racer

That's why my point is that, if us, clean drivers, want a clean and realistic rolling start, Kunos should find a way to let us race that way by using penalties. I don't want the game to be less realistic because of other people.

The logic tells us that the car behind you should be penalised...but we all know that the game doesn't find the guilty person, so the 3 of you would be penalised (as with any other incident with 3 cars during the race). the thing is that people who don't know how to make a formation lap, will have contacts in most of them, and theis SA should be very very low compared to ours.

As I said, the game will not differenciate whose fault it is, but it is the same for every contact during the race, Kunos has to make sure SA makes justice. ¿Would you put some external force to prevent contacts during race just because some people don't know how to race with each other?)

Simple, it is a full formation lap, that is 2-3 minutes of lap. If the car in front of you doesn't move, it is as simple as making a rule such as, if one car falls 10s behind the car that should be to his Right/Left, send it automatically to pits, then you have more than 1 minute to get back to your position.

iRacing has a not very complex system for the starts, and it works 99% of the times I'd say, with a 100% manual formation lap and a safety car. I don't think it is so complex that kunos can't implement sth similar.

I totally understand you aproach, but if manual formation laps work in iRacing, why not in ACC?

in the end it is all about the driver, if he wants to crash or he doesn't know how to behave, he will crash someone sooner or later

6. nrc689

nrc689 Simracer

......, if he wants to crash or he doesn't know how to behave, he will crash someone sooner or later[/QUOTE]

But it is also true that in the race it is easier to manage it. Yesterday in Monza I was P6 and from the mirror I saw a lapped (P20) coming like a madman. I immediately understood that he would hit me and so I let him pass. At the start you can't do anything you're in a box. Often the driver behind is very impatient and you lose SA for nothing.

Luatz1 and Thug like this.
  7. Thug

Thug Hardcore Simmer

Most certainly not, and as you say wreckers are going to wreck, whether on the formation lap or the 8th lap.
    My solution is for the formation rolling start only and designed to make the start cleaner and not to fix the whole race.
    A formation lap is a great idea too, but what would stop a wrecker shunting you off the track, or holding up the cars behind on purpose?
    Ok, they would get penalties or even a disqual, but your car may be damaged and your race would be spoilt by then before its begun.

nrc689 and Luatz1 like this.
  8. Turk

Turk Alien

The problem I find with the current system is the guy in front is trying to cause as much mayhem behind him as possible. With the limiters it's impossible to get the grid back in formation if the lead guy doesn't want it to happen. Should probably throw some penalties at that guy too. Although I'm hoping that the full release will have worked these issues out.

I wonder will the full game have any kind of training or introduction to the rules and especially etiquette of GT racing? While the basic safety has been improving lots of people are being extremely inconsiderate of other drivers. This is gentlmens racing, not yobbo racing. *adjusts monocle*. I can't spend as much time in this title as I'd like too but I'm having races consistently ruined by people jumping in at the end of a race and fighting people who are at the end of a race. My last race I got punted off on the first lap, so I fought my way back, had just got to the back of the guy in front preparing for a big battle over the final laps then some dickhead pulls out of the pits laps down and starts fighting us. Drove the guy in front of me off the track, he managed to keep going, then he brake checked me into T1 I had to avoid him and lost any chance of catching the guy I was actually racing. If you join a server late your not in the race, you're an infuriating hazard. Feck off.

Hopefully there's some sort of introduction to this kind of racing. I don't even think I know all the rules or what everything means.

chksix, Coanda, Thug and 2 others like this.
  9. Luatz1

Luatz1 Racer

All of that is totally true, your idea would make rolling starts 100% clean.

It is just a different aproach for the starts. You want a 100% clean race for the 100% of the times (Which is perfect, we all want that), but IMO I prefer the feeling of a real simulated start which I control 100%, and somehow I think people at our level will understand and the incidents will be in quite rare ocasions.

Right now some people just try to gain places from the very beginning and at any cost, not minding about the formation lap at all.

I think we all agree that the actual system is just so-so. I think noone would say that they like it.

10. tjr

tjr Hardcore Simmer

Really hoping that it will be impossible to join servers that are in 'race' phase soon.

chksix and Coanda like this.
  11. sirgaric

sirgaric Hardcore Simmer

This is good and well, but I have also seen the aliens starting from the front row just accelerate as much as possible to get as much advantage as possible before the start finish line, instead of doing it the way it's supposed to be done, and that is, maintaining a slow speed until the green light is shown. Just check the two races of this year to see how it should be done.

I tried to do it in one of the few occasions I parted from P1 and you know what happened? That I was P4 before crossing the start-finish line.

Enviado desde mi ONEPLUS A5010 mediante Tapatalk

12. Thug

Thug Hardcore Simmer

And this is the issue.
    With the best will in the world some people just cant help themselves.
    My idea would sort this out straight away.

13. Strawberry

Strawberry Racer

I'm hesitant to toss out a litany of half-baked ideas because SURELY Kunos are gonna do something to address the starts, and it's not gonna be some fake garbage. They obviously know the current start is borked, and they can't possibly be happy with how simcade it is either, after all their strong statements about absolute realism. Seems like a stop gap they put in there just to get a working multiplayer out. Kind of a shame that no 0.8 has been pushed out to test whatever fix they have because the start procedure is the kind of thing where devs can't really figure out where all the cracks in the system are until many muppets have a go at breaking it. So I'm not expecting it to be perfect on the first try. :p

chksix, Turk and fnegroni like this.
  14. martcerv

martcerv Alien

I think 2 options, a full manual start with strict penalties etc then one idiot proof one for well the ones that need the proofing. :p I will set my servers up as manual as possible and do my best to keep ones that cant manage this out of the servers and avoid the servers that need lots of idiot proofing.

What I have seen in fully open servers shows the majority here have no hope with a manual start, for many it may be safer to just let the AI take over and keep going all the way to the chequered flag. :D

chksix and Coanda like this.
  15. LATE4APEX

LATE4APEX Alien

The problem with trying to go the IRL route is, the idiot drivers we have to put up with, don't exist IRL.

Coming up with some penalty system, will be after the damage has already been done.

I vote for rubber banding until after the corner, then automation that limits your max speed and distance to the next car, until green.

This seems to be already implemented to some degree with AI races, the driver puts the throttle to the floor, speed and distance to the next car is maintained, and you are released on green,... works for me.

16. Mitja Bonca

Mitja Bonca Alien

Not me, never. If I see there is a gap between me and the rest behind, I slow down, so we all group together. Most of the time I also get passed when green flag waves. But it doesn`t matter.
    --
    One thing is for sure, there has to be done something (I hope they will when 1.0 comes) for these rolling starts.

Last edited: May 8, 2019
    martcerv likes this.
  17. No! Just no! :confused:
    I'm able to get your intention but you can't seriously recommend that to a sim. o_O
    What's next? A force field at the back of the car to prevent ramming on purpose during the races? Because of people?
    Sorry but just no!

PiretSS2000 and R. Iván like this.
  18. Thug

Thug Hardcore Simmer

You are totally missing the point :p.
    Its for a rolling start ONLY, so 20 to 30 seconds BEFORE the race starts.
    It has nothing to do with during the race itself o_O, so not sure why you would even suggest that would even think about a 'force field' next.
    You will still have FULL control over your car, but wont be able to crash or be crashed into (whether your fault or not),
    You can still go on the grass, you can still speed up and slow down and move left/right.
    The game already takes control of your car now with the rev limiter, so not too much difference, only a way to ensure a clean start and to stop those who wish to spoil it from doing so.

19. Nope mate. I got your point. I got exactly what you're recommending here. And for this reason: you can't be serious :confused:

R. Iván likes this.
  20. alex bonner

alex bonner Racer

Or use a safety car with a full warm up lap so we all get into position. Warnings and penalties. Works perfectly fine in Iracing.