1. Do you need support for Assetto Corsa Competizione? Please use the proper forum below and ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Logs" folder in your c:\users\*youruser*\AppData\Local\AC2\Saved. The "AppData" folder is hidden by default, check "Hidden items" in your Windows view properties. If you report a crash, ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Crashes" folder in the same directory. Do not post "I have the same issue" in an existing thread with a game crash, always open your own thread. Do not PM developers and staff members for personal troubleshooting and support.
  2. As part of our continuous maintenance and improvements to Assetto Corsa Competizione we will be releasing small updates on a regular basis during the esports season which might not go through the usual announcement process detailing the changes until a later version update where these changes will be listed retrospectively.
  3. If ACC doesn't start with an error or the executable is missing, please add your entire Steam directory to the exceptions in your antivirus software, run a Steam integrity check or reinstall the game altogether. Make sure you add the User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione folder to your antivirus/Defender exceptions and exclude it from any file sharing app (GDrive, OneDrive or Dropbox)! The Corsair iCue software is also known to conflict with Input Device initialization, if the game does not start up and you have such devices, please try disabling the iCue software and try again. [file:unknown] [line: 95] secure crt: invalid error is a sign of antivirus interference, while [Pak chunk signing mismatch on chunk] indicates a corrupted installation that requires game file verification.
  4. When reporting an issue with saved games, please always zip and attach your entire User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione/Savegame folder, along with the logs and the crash folder (when reporting related to a crash).

"new" to ac. looking for tips and tutorials/advice.

Discussion in 'Chit Chat Room' started by JughedJones, Oct 22, 2014.

1. JughedJones

JughedJones Gamer

Hey Guys.

I'm not necessarily 'new' to AC, I've had it for about 6-7 months or so, but I've decided I want to get good at road racing.

I spent a fair amount of time on iRacing, but I could be found spending 99% of my time on the Oval series'.

I've been having a blast going as fast as I can in GT cars on Nordschlieffe and historic Monza, but there's clearly not a lot of skill to my approach! I've just been playing a lot because it's so damn fun, even if I hardly ever complete a clean lap!

So... I have a DFGT, (I know, not the greatest, but it works!)

What are some tips to get good at this skill? What's a good track to start to master? What's a good car to use to get my chops? The iRacing way was to stick with one car and one track until you can nail it pretty well, then move on. Same here?

I'd love to see some videos explaining breaking points, setups, etc. as well.

Thanks a lot! Let's see if we can get this oval track redneck some refinement!

Boyd Bryson likes this.

2. Similar Threads
    Forum Title Date
    ACC User Interface Looking for the view settings file Aug 8, 2023
    ACC Online Leagues / Championships room looking for championship in belgium, france, england, italie Dec 22, 2022
    Online Leagues / Championships room Looking for a Streamer for ACF1 Formula 1 Championship Oct 11, 2022
    Chit Chat Room Lights in mirror looking ugly (just inside car) Sep 23, 2022
    Troubleshooting - Workarounds Stuck looking at car on race start Aug 21, 2022
    ACC Controls & Peripherals Looking left and right Jun 17, 2022
    Chit Chat Room Newbie looking for guidance Jun 16, 2022
    Chit Chat Room Looking for part from Logitech G25 Jun 12, 2022
    Online Leagues / Championships room Indy 400 / Looking for Participants! (RSS) Jun 6, 2022
    Online Leagues / Championships room Starting a new ACC league, looking for members! May 26, 2022
    ACC Virtual Reality VR impossible to get reliable and good looking grafics May 23, 2022
    ACC Online Leagues / Championships room Looking for a late night league in NA Mar 29, 2022
    ACC PS4/PS5/XB1/XBX/S General Discussions North American XBOX League looking for Commentators / Drivers- ACC 9th Gen Feb 25, 2022
    Chit Chat Room Looking for our Racing Commentator Feb 24, 2022
    ACC Online Leagues / Championships room Audi Endurance Team - Looking for drivers Dec 26, 2021

3. Horus

Horus Alien

Hi JughedJones, Imola is a great track to learn as it has a good variety of corners and gradients, Spa is also a darn fine track, to be honest all of them have something to learn from. This will most probably be flamed but I would also recommend using the road cars as they have less grip and give you far more feedback than the GT cars. A personal favourite for being fun but can bite you in the backside is the BMW 1M S3, and the Alfa Romeo Giulietta QV both have great feedback and movement.

As for videos and such there have been some great links in the forum but they can all be found on Youtube, I'm sure someone will post a link to point you in the right direction.

Good luck and have fun on your journey. :)

JughedJones likes this.
  4. JughedJones

JughedJones Gamer

Thanks, Horus.

I'll look forward to seeing some of those tutorial vids being posted (maybe?)

I just looked at the BMW 1M S3, that does seem like the car to start with huh? It can get away from you but looks like it has great feel to it... plus a little faster than the Alfa.

5. I would stick with the standard 1M if you want to learn consistency more quickly. That car is more than enough to keep you "entertained". The S3 version can be a bit of a monster if pushed too hard. In fact, I find it to be one of the toughest road cars to be consistently quick in.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2014
    JughedJones likes this.
  6. Mogster

Mogster Alien

I'd start with the X-Bow or Fiat 500. Practice one of the shorter tracks.

JughedJones and TheBestBeast like this.
  7. some1pl

some1pl Alien

Lotuses are fun and there are plenty to choose from. ;) You may also use street tyres, which give you better feel of what happens with the car. Semislicks loose grip more violently, it's harder to manage when you're on the limit.
    I also suggest shorter tracks for a start, like Magione, short variants of Vallelunga or Silverstone.

Phil64, Mogster and JughedJones like this.
  8. JughedJones

JughedJones Gamer

Great. I appreciate it.

ALl these tips will be put to use. Any luck on those vids?

9. Quffy

Quffy Alien

If you'd have a clutch and a manual shifter I'd recommend the BMW M3 E30 cars. Just pure driving right there. But some of the best when learning the game is to drive the cars from Production (shelby cobra is not that suitable at first maybe), GT and GTR category, see below.

PRODUCTION
    - Abarth 500 EsseEsse (2 variants)
    - Alfa Romeo Giulietta QV
    - Bmw 1M (2 variants)
    - Lotus Elise SC (3 variants)
    - Shelby Cobra

GT
    - Bmw M3 E30 Evo (3 variants)
    - Bmw M3 E30 Group A
    - Bmw M3 E30 DTM
    - Bmw M3 E92 (3 variants)
    - Bmw Z4 E89 (3 variants)
    - Lotus Evora GTC
    - Lotus Evora GX

GTR
    - McLaren MP4-12c GT3
    - Bmw Z4 GT3
    - Bmw M3 GT2
    - Ferrari 458 GT2
    - P4/5 Competizione
    - Mercedes SLS GT3

CLASSIC GP
    - Classic Team Lotus Type 49
    - Classic Team Lotus 98T
    - Ferrari 312T

SUPERCAR
    - Ferrari LaFerrari
    - Ferrari 458 Italia (2 variants)
    - Ferrari F40 (2 variants)
    - Ferrari 599xx
    - McLaren Mp4 12c
    - Mercedes SLS AMG
    - Pagani Zonda R
    - Pagani Huayra
    - Lotus Evora S (2 variants)
    - Lotus Exige S Roadster
    - Lotus Exige Scura

TRACKDAY
    - KTM X-Bow R
    - Lotus 2 Eleven
    - Lotus Evora GTE
    - Lotus Evora GTE Carbon
    - Lotus Exige 240R (2 variants)
    - Lotus Exige V6 Cup
    - Lotus 2 Eleven GT4

Phil64 and JughedJones like this.
  10. JughedJones

JughedJones Gamer

Are you saying that's the order of things to go with, or just that I should stick with production for a while?

11. Epocx

Epocx Alien

** i would love to see a video explaining the ac setup indepth too **

For driving you can watch real life videos, for example for the Nordschleife there are good tutorials for driving it fast:

You can even take the BMW for it, which is a really good car to see the physics in action!

I have noticed though that it take quite some time to really get familiar with one car, switching too much can set you up for alot of spins ;)

Same goes for all the other racetracks and also cars to some degree.

I am currently working on a more smooth driving, sometimes its just easy to not care and try the more arcade-ish approach which leads to bad times and crashes :D

JughedJones likes this.
  12. Sguby

Sguby Gamer

Hi, I would go with Production to learn the tracks and then when you feel comfortable with them you can jump in faster one like the Trackday Lotus for exemple.
    There is no perfect learning path, but if one thing is for sure (IMO, glad to discuss with those who disagree) is that you have to spend time (who said a lot :rolleyes:) driving one car/track until you know the car AND track enough to go round making almost the same time on each lap feeling you reached the limit of the car (avoid offroad and spin). At least that what I do and it does work not so badly...

Epocx and JughedJones like this.
  13. JughedJones

JughedJones Gamer

Right on, guys.

How bout the 'racing line?' Does that help or hinder? I know it doesn't show you dynamically what you should be doing,
    but is it helpful for remembering braking points? Should I just turn it off forever?

What's the consensus on this?

14. Ace Pumpkin

Ace Pumpkin Alien

NO WAY for the AC racing line. As it is not dynamical, it is a hindrance! Every car has it's own braking points, and it's own line through a given corner. To be fast in every combo you have to practice, practice, practice.

Phil64 and JughedJones like this.
  15. Sguby

Sguby Gamer

Again, and it's my opinion, the racing line as it is not dynamic only help for learning the Apex because from one car to another the breaking points are not exactly at the same place... So few laps with it, then forgive it ;)

JughedJones likes this.
  16. plaid

plaid Alien

As you say the colours are mostly useless, cause they arent dynamic. But you can use the line to learn the idealline, which can be tricky in some turns/combos. Maybe try it without it and if there is a part in a track where you arent sure about the best line, you can activate it with "Cntrl + I" .
    I forgot to mention. Like Epocx said there are meter signs, if not there are trees or signs or whatever, you can use those as a help to remind when to break.

JughedJones likes this.
  17. Epocx

Epocx Alien

I use the racing line if i am totally new to a track. with production cars the breaking points are good enough and it gives you a good help. Although most tracks have meter signs which are more important later.

JughedJones and Sguby like this.
  18. JughedJones

JughedJones Gamer

very helpful, thanks very much.

Keep em coming if you have any more videos, but I appreciate it a lot!

19. SirJack

SirJack Racer

Start with one of the slower production cars and a track that you like and practice, practice,...until you get comfortable with the track and the behaviour of the car. Then move to a faster car on the same track

JughedJones and Sguby like this.
  20. Ace Pumpkin

Ace Pumpkin Alien

21. Quffy

Quffy Alien

JughedJones likes this.