1. Do you need support for Assetto Corsa Competizione? Please use the proper forum below and ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Logs" folder in your c:\users\*youruser*\AppData\Local\AC2\Saved. The "AppData" folder is hidden by default, check "Hidden items" in your Windows view properties. If you report a crash, ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Crashes" folder in the same directory. Do not post "I have the same issue" in an existing thread with a game crash, always open your own thread. Do not PM developers and staff members for personal troubleshooting and support.
  2. As part of our continuous maintenance and improvements to Assetto Corsa Competizione we will be releasing small updates on a regular basis during the esports season which might not go through the usual announcement process detailing the changes until a later version update where these changes will be listed retrospectively.
  3. If ACC doesn't start with an error or the executable is missing, please add your entire Steam directory to the exceptions in your antivirus software, run a Steam integrity check or reinstall the game altogether. Make sure you add the User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione folder to your antivirus/Defender exceptions and exclude it from any file sharing app (GDrive, OneDrive or Dropbox)! The Corsair iCue software is also known to conflict with Input Device initialization, if the game does not start up and you have such devices, please try disabling the iCue software and try again. [file:unknown] [line: 95] secure crt: invalid error is a sign of antivirus interference, while [Pak chunk signing mismatch on chunk] indicates a corrupted installation that requires game file verification.
  4. When reporting an issue with saved games, please always zip and attach your entire User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione/Savegame folder, along with the logs and the crash folder (when reporting related to a crash).

Oculus Rift price drop (US, Canada, other places?)

Discussion in 'Chit Chat Room' started by mms, Mar 3, 2017.

1. mms

mms Alien

Cote Dazur, CamsX, Cuba and 1 other person like this.

2. Similar Threads
    Forum Title Date
    ACC Virtual Reality Weird gfx/colour Issue when using Oculus Rift. Mar 19, 2022
    ACC Virtual Reality Oculus rift S Pixel density not working Oct 4, 2021
    Controllers and Peripherals Bugs & Issues Oculus Rift Compositor issue (double vision) Apr 19, 2021
    ACC Virtual Reality Oculus Rift S vs Reverb G2 Jan 22, 2021
    ACC Virtual Reality Oculus Rift cv1 settings for 90 fps Dec 5, 2020
    ACC Virtual Reality Not ACC Fault - Oculus Rift not recognizing USB 3 Jul 24, 2020
    ACC Virtual Reality Oculus rift application dropped frames. Jul 8, 2020
    ACC Virtual Reality Variable Pixeldensity with Oculus Rift S works (a little) May 20, 2020
    Controllers and Peripherals Bugs & Issues Oculus Rift + Fanatec CSL Elite = no FFB May 16, 2020
    ACC Virtual Reality AC not talking to Oculus Rift S May 10, 2020
    Controllers and Peripherals Bugs & Issues Oculus Rift in full screen May 5, 2020
    Screens & Videos Oculus Rift in full screen May 5, 2020
    ACC Virtual Reality Oculus Rift in full screen May 5, 2020
    Chit Chat Room Is it possible to mirror audio to speakers when using Oculus Rift? Apr 19, 2020
    ACC Virtual Reality Rift S -Start ACC in Oculus mode -> Sim Rig Outside of Oculus Guardian Apr 11, 2020

3. Andrew_WOT

Andrew_WOT Alien

4. Torcano

Torcano Alien

Sigh, we still get shafted over here because of our garbage import duties and ridonculous shipping fees. Still costs upwards of 750 USD to get it over here even with the price cuts and that just for the base headset, add them touch controllers and bam 900 USD. I'll just wait for the second gen HMDs to come out, the current ones IMO are not worth paying that high of a premium. :(

5. martcerv

martcerv Alien

Dont think anything will make me ever buy the facebook rift I wouldnt even take one for free.

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articl...0-oculus-rift-demo-units-from-best-buy-stores

The actual real world interest in VR is much lower then the loud VR mafia tends to believe, Id be surprised if facebook even makes a second rift and its quite likely they will just write it off as a big loss. Hopefully VR will go into an open platform with many more devices available in the future to both get the lower end market and gain a bigger user base and make much higher end devices that the enthusiast market would also prefer over what is currently available.

Its possible VR will never go beyond a niche product and be like 3d TV's that simply fade away with most people not even noticing it has gone. Sure the fan base is loud and positive but this doesnt reflect on the real world adoption or interest in the technology.

Jebus, victor86, Horus and 1 other person like this.
  6. mms

mms Alien

Just a friendly reminder, I opened this thread for people who are interested buying the rift :)

Fat-Alfie likes this.
  7. martcerv

martcerv Alien

Maybe in the first post mention that your only allowing positive rift worshippers to post in the thread and that you have the authority to do so here. ;)

Parminio and Horus like this.
  8. mms

mms Alien

This is not a thread about Facebook or other big corporations being evil, as I begun my OP, it's for people who are thinking buying the Rift. If you're not interested that's perfectly fine, I don't feel the need to convince you, I'd expect the same from people with a different opinion :oops:

9. martcerv

martcerv Alien

I didn't think I needed to be told this thread is only for people interested in buying the rift, its an open forum and any posts within the forum rules and on topic are allowed, I didn't think people had authority to say who or what can be posted especially if they aren't a forum moderator.

Had you not posted this "friendly reminder" I would not have replied here again after stating my own opinion on the topic. You having to say that just meant I had to reply to ask where you got the authority to decide who or what can be posted in the thread. ;)

I was simply stating that price isn't really the issue and its you that called facebook evil not me. :rolleyes: I simply linked to a post that shows people arent even interested in trying the device for free and so a minor price drop wont do much to convince the majority simply not interested in the device at all.

Jebus and Horus like this.
  10. mms

mms Alien

Oh ok, I got you now, so you post in all threads you're not really interested in. Nice job, keep it on!

JusTiCe8, Fat-Alfie and Tony74 like this.
  11. martcerv

martcerv Alien

Where did I say I wasnt interested in the topic? I made my post because I was interested in the topic and simply stated my view.

Sure I may not be interested in buying a rift but that doesnt mean I am not interested in the topic. My further posts were simply responding to your silly attempts at limiting discussion, calling it "friendly" when your trying to silence any opposing views to yourself is far from friendly. ;)

Horus likes this.
  12. Dean Ogurek

Dean Ogurek Alien

I've read reports from Best Buy employees stating that they didn't even know what the Oculus Rift is. Most younger kids would rather have PSVR and how many PC-gamers actually buy stuff at BB anymore? The PC software they stock is laughable. None of this should be a surprise and to many of us that have been following VR closely, it became clear some time ago that VR adoption is going to be a slow process, much slower than first thought.

Oculus stated long ago that they know HMD's for VR-gaming will remain a very niche product. Most people with a strong interest in VR have probably already purchased one. The price drops may prompt some that were on the fence but, the real growth potential is with mobile / social / and various other uses for VR & AR, certainly not gaming.

When I think about my friends, none of them are gamers. How much interest do they have in VR? None what so ever, . . . until maybe, they can tour a potential home-remodel shown in VR; or meet someone undergoing therapy for PTSD; or someone getting a medical procedure made safer because a doctor can operate in VR with greater success. These things are already happening and they have little to do with the entertainment side of VR. There are practical uses for VR that most people don't even realize yet.

13. RReed43

RReed43 Hardcore Simmer

I own a Rift and consider it a key part of my sim racing rig. To me it simply the best way to experience sim racing, a huge improvement on monitors. I will be a willing purchaser of a high resolution version when one comes on the market and will upgrade my PC to run it if that is necessary.

Having said that I do not use it for any other purpose. There simply is not another application that attracts my attention. I'm not saying it won't happen, but that it hasn't happened yet. I believe someone will invent an application or game that a huge number of people will want but that hasn't happened yet. Until it does VR headset growth will be pretty modest.

14. Horus

Horus Alien

The main problem with HMD on PC, at the moment, is that it costs nearly as much for the GPU to run the HMD, making it very much more expensive than your usual PC upgrade. I would love to own a HMD, it wont be a Facebook or Samsung version, and they will have to come down by more than 50%, maybe even 60-70%, before I even consider purchasing one.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2017
    colombianomd likes this.
  15. martcerv

martcerv Alien

This is one of the main limitations of VR atm, even with the current not very high res VR devices it takes a GPU/CPU combo that's above the average gamers specs so they would need to upgrade their PC spending more then the current VR devices making the upgrade path for a reasonable VR experience $1500+ for the majority of potential customers. They just aren't likely to spend that sort of money so even dropping VR devices by $100-$200 wont really make a big difference. Over time with next gen mid range GPU/CPU likely meeting min spec of current gen VR then its more likely it will gain some ground.

At the enthusiast level where most current VR users are they have the hardware specs or are willing to spend this but they are a small number, even of these there are people like me that would spend the money if there was a better VR device and more widespread user base which would provide more software support from 3rd party devs. You can see all those begging for software support for rift or vive but the numbers aren't really that big to make support a huge priority to many 3rd party devs that aren't also big VR fans/supporters.

Over time if VR doesn't die off as a fad then there will be more HMD's that fit the lower to the high end of the market and its really the general adoption by the mainstream raising user base to a level where 3rd party devs will make it a priority to add support for a significant user base. The Oculus sell off and limited release didn't help their cause, it did encourage more big VR supporters to pre purchase at a high price but the rest kind of lost interest. There aren't really that many more potential customers of current gen VR devices even at this discounted price so its not going to have much impact in total user base which is what VR needs to grow to get beyond the niche it is.

16. kofotsjanne

kofotsjanne Alien

If someone want a cheaper vr experience i suggest you to look for a dk2. The quality is not something that bother me at all when driving (even if i wouldnt complain about a better picture) and its pretty easy to run on low-mid hardware. I have many settings cranked up with a 970. As it is now I dont see a reason anymore to upgrade to a cv1 but waiting for the next headsets. Just a tip if someone want to try.

17. Cuba

Cuba Gamer

The main problem with sim racing is cost. I priced out a good triple monitor set up and it wasn't cheap either. So it's all about what someone want's to invest for a better or more immersive sim experience. Lets face it, sim racing especially for us on this forum which take it a bit more serious, is not cheap. We spend hundreds on FFB wheels, pedals, monitors, shifters, software, etc. the list goes on. Consider this, some sim titles don't have proper triple screen support yet, but they are making updates to VR, maybe they see the value of investing in the future. I wasn't a fan of VR...until I tried it. Now it's the only way (IMO) to really experience sim racing. And since this is an expensive hobby, it's great to see some prices dropping :). So like mms mentioned, if you're on the fence, now's the time...just be careful because once you've tried it, don't think your just going to return it after your trial period...that's what I thought and it's still sitting at home :)

Tomcul and mms like this.
  18. Parminio

Parminio Simracer

I did a demo of the rift and frankly I didn't see what all the hype was about. They talked all kinds of smack about the "immersive experience". All it was was a cell phone crammed in my face by way of uncomfortable straps with bad sound.

No thanks.

19. Dean Ogurek

Dean Ogurek Alien

VR is not for everyone, heck - it's not for most people; I'd say that puts you in a large majority. Gaming and certainly Simulation, also has that in common.

One bad or even less than stellar VR experience can put a person off forever; the impact of VR can be rather extreme for some. :eek:

mms likes this.
  20. mms

mms Alien

You're not interested buying a rift, but you're interested in a topic about the price drop of the rift. Ok, fair enough.

All I wanted with this thread was to let people who are interested in buying the rift know about the price drop. I have no authority whatsoever, I just find it sad that nowadays you can't even nicely ask something without having the "authority" :confused:

Tony74 and Cuba like this.
  21. Horus

Horus Alien

Give it a break @mms, Martcerv was sharing his opinion and it was just as valid as yours. No need to continue with the silliness. :)

Schnipp and martcerv like this.