1. Do you need support for Assetto Corsa Competizione? Please use the proper forum below and ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Logs" folder in your c:\users\*youruser*\AppData\Local\AC2\Saved. The "AppData" folder is hidden by default, check "Hidden items" in your Windows view properties. If you report a crash, ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Crashes" folder in the same directory. Do not post "I have the same issue" in an existing thread with a game crash, always open your own thread. Do not PM developers and staff members for personal troubleshooting and support.
  2. As part of our continuous maintenance and improvements to Assetto Corsa Competizione we will be releasing small updates on a regular basis during the esports season which might not go through the usual announcement process detailing the changes until a later version update where these changes will be listed retrospectively.
  3. If ACC doesn't start with an error or the executable is missing, please add your entire Steam directory to the exceptions in your antivirus software, run a Steam integrity check or reinstall the game altogether. Make sure you add the User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione folder to your antivirus/Defender exceptions and exclude it from any file sharing app (GDrive, OneDrive or Dropbox)! The Corsair iCue software is also known to conflict with Input Device initialization, if the game does not start up and you have such devices, please try disabling the iCue software and try again. [file:unknown] [line: 95] secure crt: invalid error is a sign of antivirus interference, while [Pak chunk signing mismatch on chunk] indicates a corrupted installation that requires game file verification.
  4. When reporting an issue with saved games, please always zip and attach your entire User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione/Savegame folder, along with the logs and the crash folder (when reporting related to a crash).

Ok guys (and girls) , let's proove AC right (or wrong) using Laguna Seca.

Discussion in 'Chit Chat Room' started by liakjim, Jan 2, 2018.

1. good input guys. I am adding the "ground level" correction for wind and it'll be out in a hotfix very soon.
    Thank you for the help

EDIT: I should really learn to update the thread before posting.. ninj'ed by @Aristotelis :D

ramon31, xystof, digitizer and 32 others like this.
  2. LeiF

LeiF Alien

You guys are f****** legends :)

All hail Kunos.

3. Quffy

Quffy Alien

Unintentional tornado feature in AC. How to activate? ;)

4. Andy-R

Andy-R Alien

Setting a value of 30 felt like one when I was playing around shortly after it was added. I ended up setting most of them in the server cfg to max 10 with a few max 20's in there as well.

5. OoALEJOoO

OoALEJOoO Simracer

Awesome news!

Some further ideas/suggestions:

On its simplest form, the wind shear profile (or gradient) is relative to the distance from the shear surface (track) and not the actual track elevation (slopes and hills). This means all the track would have the same wind-speed, irrespective of actual slopes on the track. The gradient equation could be made assuming the wind-speeds the cars will see are about 0.5 (?) meters above ground (or better yet, use a specific value for each car!) computed from a reported wind-speed set on the menu (which is say measured at 5m above ground, not sure what's the standard here). A second simplification would be to assume the wind always travels parallel to the track and it always hits the car orthogonal to its vertical planes (if all 4 tyres are in the ground ;)). Given wind is implemented already, I suspect the sim already has all it needs to get this done.

If you want to go complex, and do account for track elevation changes, then the above would have to be corrected for wind pressure changes as wind goes uphill or downhill and accounting for wind direction (again a simple approx. equation could do the job). This would change the local effective wind speed depending on the slope angle and location. The second part would be that now the wind would not necessarily be parallel to the ground, orthogonal to the car vertical planes, or both. It could lift the car (say when entering/exiting a hill's crest) or push it down (when on a entering/exiting valley). It might be cool to tinker with more complex wind but would be far more complicated to implement.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2018
    Diogo Ramalho and dk78 like this.
  6. wind is already parallel to the surface.
    The correction has been made considering 0.5m height exactly as you suggested that results in a value of 44% of the original wind speed following "Wind Gradient" equation with an Hellmann exponent of 0.27.

7. bgil66

bgil66 Alien

I am getting smarter reading this thread :)

sissydriver and matz_AUT like this.
  8. WallyM

WallyM Alien

Does this essentially just mean that if we continue to use wind speed as given in weather reports, that the effect on the cars will be a lot less than it was before? I'm asking as someone who regularly uses real track weather when setting up races.

9. LeiF

LeiF Alien

I believe you have already quoted the exact answer from Lord K :)

"...that results in a value of 44% of the original wind speed..."

10. WallyM

WallyM Alien

Yeah, I guess that's all it is.
    I can even write the entire code change:

windSpeed *= 0.44;

But hey, who am I to demistify the secrets of a coder :)

11. yeah that's pretty much it, the only complication was where to put the multiplication because the UI should still show the original value, but at the end that's really all there is

12. F430_458_F12

F430_458_F12 Alien

Here's my attempt in the M4:

I'll tell you, I think there are some days when the track was grippier, because his laptimes cannot be replicated using the really low track grip settings in AC. I know from also having talked to people in California that Seca does not have the best of surfaces...but there is no way you can reach Randy's laptime using "dusty" or "slow" track grip.

13. The grip at optimum is still realistic, it's already less than other Kunos tracks. Optimum grip can be used for a day that wasn't very windy and had a good number of clean laps done on it (which would help clean up the racing line).

14. Neilski

Neilski Alien

Ooo, how can you tell? (I don't know how the track grip is modelled.)

15. F430_458_F12

F430_458_F12 Alien

Interesting, I always set the grip at dusty or slow because of what Aris said in a thread somewhere on this site. But you're saying that the baseline track grip as it was modeled is lower by design? Interesting, will make a note.

16. Yes it's lower; all tracks have their own surface friction values. Also, to be clear (for Laguna specifically), Aris said that it's worth testing a range of grips, not that you should only use low grip.

Track grip in AC (and all sims) is just a multiplier for the friction coefficient of the tires - thus, it's somewhat arbitrary (in that you can design very grippy tires but then offset that by a more slippery track and there would be no real difference in behavior. The only important part is the final friction coefficient). The Dusty, Slow, etc. presets are just there to add some variation to the mix (they're multipliers of a muliplier).

In AC currently, it's usually the case that the most realistic lap times are done on fast/optimum grip. With certain combos and situations (e.g. a windy, sandy day at Laguna), it may need to be lowered, but fast/optimum is a good starting point.

17. Epistolarius

Epistolarius Alien

Don't forget that the track grip settings also have a variation/randomisation for the initial grip, except the 100% one. Plus I thought there's the rubbering in over an amount laps. Or perhaps it's only between sessions (practice-quali-race), not sure.

18. sacredaardvark

sacredaardvark Hardcore Simmer

My quick search for track grip posts by Aris turned up these, but there might be posts that I missed. :)

February 22nd, 2017
    https://www.assettocorsa.net/forum/i...grip-settings-1-12-and-v10.43297/#post-844485

October 26th, 2016
    https://www.assettocorsa.net/forum/index.php?threads/porsche-pack-1-comments.38046/page-5#post-774483

And ofc the post #18 from this very thread we're in:
    https://www.assettocorsa.net/forum/i...or-wrong-using-laguna-seca.48651/#post-950016

19. Neilski

Neilski Alien

Cool!
    And do you know if the DY value that you can get from a telemetry app (Physics built-in, Python SDK, shared mem, UDP, whatever) is that final value or just the plain value from the tyres?