1. Do you need support for Assetto Corsa Competizione? Please use the proper forum below and ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Logs" folder in your c:\users\*youruser*\AppData\Local\AC2\Saved. The "AppData" folder is hidden by default, check "Hidden items" in your Windows view properties. If you report a crash, ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Crashes" folder in the same directory. Do not post "I have the same issue" in an existing thread with a game crash, always open your own thread. Do not PM developers and staff members for personal troubleshooting and support.
  2. As part of our continuous maintenance and improvements to Assetto Corsa Competizione we will be releasing small updates on a regular basis during the esports season which might not go through the usual announcement process detailing the changes until a later version update where these changes will be listed retrospectively.
  3. If ACC doesn't start with an error or the executable is missing, please add your entire Steam directory to the exceptions in your antivirus software, run a Steam integrity check or reinstall the game altogether. Make sure you add the User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione folder to your antivirus/Defender exceptions and exclude it from any file sharing app (GDrive, OneDrive or Dropbox)! The Corsair iCue software is also known to conflict with Input Device initialization, if the game does not start up and you have such devices, please try disabling the iCue software and try again. [file:unknown] [line: 95] secure crt: invalid error is a sign of antivirus interference, while [Pak chunk signing mismatch on chunk] indicates a corrupted installation that requires game file verification.
  4. When reporting an issue with saved games, please always zip and attach your entire User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione/Savegame folder, along with the logs and the crash folder (when reporting related to a crash).

Open letter to kunos regarding oculus rift support

Discussion in 'Chit Chat Room' started by Kaputtnik, Jan 16, 2016.

1. Kaputtnik

Kaputtnik Gamer

Dear AC devs,

Racing in VR is a transformative experience. Instead of just watching the race on the monitor, you are sitting in that car, feel the confines of a racing cockpit, are able to inspect all the details by turning around and leaning in as well as being able to better gauge where your opponents in the race are, looking ahead into corners etc.

I read your recent blog entry. You mentioned that you wanted to work on Oculus Rift CV1 compatibility as soon as "definitive and standard SDK" was available. Have you gotten in touch with Oculus dev relations already? That stable SDK is AVAILABLE since end of December! BUT: Not as a PUBLIC download, but for developers who plan to release their game in Q1 or Q2. (https://developer.oculus.com/blog/rift-sdk-1-0-shipping-to-developers-with-final-rift-hardware/)

Please use your head start and contact them! You will also get an early CV1 by doing so! Please don't wait until the hardware launch end of March (public release of SDK 1.0 as stated by Oculus themselves).

Having proper CV1 support by launch is a business opportunity you should NOT afford to miss. Many new Rift owners will want a quality racing sim like AC! And you are doing us existing VR racers a huge favor!

Kind regards,

A DK2 owner and AC aficionado

Last edited: Jan 16, 2016
    Horizon99, coret3x, adrez and 25 others like this.

2. Similar Threads
    Forum Title Date
    ACC General Discussions My Open Letter For ACC Jan 24, 2023
    ACC General Discussions Open letter for Kunos Jun 4, 2019
    Chit Chat Room Open Letter to Kunos - my opinion on the 911RSR-gate Mar 19, 2017
    Chit Chat Room Open letter to the community, this time from a dev...?! Aug 10, 2015
    Chit Chat Room Racedepartement: open letter to kunos simulazioni and the community Mar 22, 2015
    Suggestions An open letter to ac team Aug 30, 2014
    Suggestions Kunos, do not forget us! "Open letter" (Dev please, read) Dec 5, 2013
    ACC PS4/PS5/XB1/XBX/S General Discussions Game crashes after opening championship Mar 3, 2024
    ACC Hardware Discussions Is it possible to use OpenXr or Open composite in ACC with a Quest 3? Nov 18, 2023
    ACC Virtual Reality Quest 3 --> No OpenXR Tookit? Nov 15, 2023
    Troubleshooting - Workarounds game won't open! Sep 21, 2023
    Troubleshooting - Workarounds not opening Sep 15, 2023
    ACC Tools ACC / OSR Setup Tool Web App (Open-Source-Racing.com) Aug 30, 2023
    Troubleshooting - Workarounds Assetto Corsa only rendering with OpenVR as a setting Jun 12, 2023
    ACC Virtual Reality Image quality after initial install (openxr/open composite) Apr 20, 2023

3. Hippy

Hippy Racer

Seconded

Kaputtnik likes this.
  4. ears1991

ears1991 Alien

LFS dev applied back in december but didnt hear back yet :(. Hoping kunos applied too, and SMS for that matter as they spent a decent amount of time on oculus stuff although last i heard they had some crap latency issue. I imagine oculus just have a backlog of applicants and will hopefully get round to these guys before march

would be cool to know if kunos have looked at SDK 0.8 at least, as if they have that working it sounds like it shouldnt take much (if anything?) for the cv1 to at least work on release

oculus excuse for not making 1.0 public is apparently its still WIP or whatever, so im hoping they change their mind on holding it back until the 28th if the manage to get it finished before then...

R-power, Lowkey and Kaputtnik like this.
  5. dermonty

dermonty Hardcore Simmer

I think kunos knows best about their business opportunities and they must decide how much time and manpower they invest. I also want to see a proper working VR support for oculus and steam VR. But since the price of the headset is set very high (in Europe 750€) the potential market shrinked a lot. So you must compare the time and money you need to invest for the VR support vs how many AC owner will use it. 0.1% maybe?

Just have a bit patience. VR Support will come.

6. Horus

Horus Alien

Kunos have said they will support it once API is released. Hold yer horses. :)

grandepunto and nate like this.
  7. Quffy

Quffy Alien

Sdk 1 version of oculus rift will also support DK2 headsets, but I don't know if sdk1 is already available for devs to work on it for dk2 and cv1. But with dk2 also being supported by sdk1, means the pool of users increases, since if not everyone affords CV1, a part will already have DK2.
    http://uploadvr.com/finished-rift-sdk-1-0-compatible-with-dk2/

R-power, GhettoRice and ears1991 like this.
  8. ears

ears Hardcore Simmer

Just want to take this opportunity to say wow. I've had a Rift since May and played almost nothing but AC in it. And every time. Every time I put my 'racing helmet' on and get into the car, start driving, I'm just blown away.

Considering, as Kunos themselves have said, AC was in no way created for VR - VR wasn't on the horizon when they started, they suit each other beautifully.

I'm surprised about Oculus - I'd have thought they would have prioritised the high profile, 'sit-down' titles that can show off the immersive experience at its best - and that's the driving / piloting games where additional peripherals such as steering wheels, pedals, HOTAS etc, do their and and feet tracking for them.

I'm impatient too, but there's still a hell of an experience there, sat inside the Rift, to keep me occupied til my CV1 and any new AC support arrive.

9. Mogster

Mogster Alien

With the cost, especially including the required PC upgrades, I can only see CV1 uptake being tiny.

For a small team I can completely understand this going on the back burner for now. Its unfortunate but that's the way it is.

10. Hippy

Hippy Racer

Lol, the uptake is not tiny. Pre orders are now back to July if you order today

11. ears

ears Hardcore Simmer

I don't know why people who don't seem interested in the VR devices, and seem to have a negativity towards them, continue to post in threads about said devices. You'd think they'd just ignore them and go and get involved in threads that do concern them.

12. Hippy

Hippy Racer

Yeah.
    Bearing in mind oculus has been stockpiling for a while, they sold all of the rifts they had made and will make until March within minutes.
    Now you can't even get one till July. Plus 175,000 dk2s that will still work.

13. bondyboy

bondyboy Alien

Yes there's a bit of a "chicken and the egg" situation here so I can understand devs reluctance to spend too much time on the rift considering that there will be such a small userbase, but then there's also the possibility that due to the small number of games having full rift support then the games that do have full support are going to be bought by most owners of the rift and will see a nice little surge in sales as a result - they'll want to make the most of their new £500 toy (I know I will)

Kaputtnik likes this.
  14. mtojay

mtojay Rookie

yeah. i dont know why kunos handles the vr topic so neglected. its kind of frustrating when you see how well it can be implemented (iracing or lfs for example)
    i had hopes kunos would be there with the launch, but i am not so sure about that anymore.

Kaputtnik likes this.
  15. Mogster

Mogster Alien

You couldn't be more wrong, I am interested in VR and will most likely build a new PC for it. It's not negativity just realism...

How many of Kunos's 250,000 users are going to have a VR device in the next year??? Much less than 1%, to suggest anything else is actually living in some sort of alternate reality. 2-3 years down the line an average PC will run CV1 and prices for 1st gen VR will have dropped, then a good VR implementation will be essential. Until then it'll be the limited to a small percentage of tech heads. If the hardware was shipping at a <£250 price point and you could have a decent experience on a 5 year old average PC then things would be different.

Of course it'd be great to have a first class VR implementation but I can understand why it's not a priority for the dev's.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2016
  16. ears

ears Hardcore Simmer

Sometimes it's just about being at the forefront of a revolution. Showing your product in the best light. And certainly VR shows Assetto Corsa off in one hell of a positive light. And as the CV1 and SLI appear, this can only get better.

Ciborio, jazzman23uk, Mogster and 2 others like this.
  17. ears

ears Hardcore Simmer

18. Seanspeed

Seanspeed Hardcore Simmer

I'm with you on this. I can definitely see Kunos not working full steam on this whatsoever. They've got limited programmers onboard and I'm guessing most of their time will be devoted to the console releases, which stands to improve their revenue far more than VR support will.

I still think it'd be a bit lousy if they didn't prioritize VR somewhat, though. I know they never exactly promised us VR support back when it first released or anything, they dont 'owe' us it, but for their own sake, if they are serious about making Assetto Corsa the best sim racer out there, VR support is a must. Because this tech brings sim racing a giant leap forward in terms of realism, which is what the genre is all about - simulation. It would be like if FFB wheels were the 'new' thing and they decided they weren't going to prioritize that. That would seem absurd now, but this is basically on the level of what VR will bring to the genre(if not more). And much like FFB, doing VR support better than others should be something to strive for.

Frankly, if I get my headset and AC doesn't support VR but other sim racers do, AC is going to collect dust on my metaphorical shelf until that support comes.

And while CV1 will probably not take off in terms of install base initially, I do think it could bring Kunos a decent amount of extra sales for what is bound to be a very content-hungry crowd, all looking for the most immersive experiences around. Good word of mouth among the VR community about AC's implementation would definitely see this being a boon for Kunos, even if to a lesser extent than being on consoles would be. And besides, PS4 users will likely soon complain about not having VR support as well! Especially when Gran Turismo is apparently getting it.

Ciborio, Mogster, Hippy and 2 others like this.
  19. SimDrive

SimDrive Simracer

Signing that letter as well :)
    I agree with regards to this being a big opportunity for Kunos. Realistically, out of all sims currently out, only AC, Dirt Rally and pCars will be able to support CV1 as they are the only DX11 ones.
    Once people get their hands om their new shiny HMD, they will start looking for content to try it out and if AC has support...well you get the idea, potential new customers on the horizon :)

I'm expecting my CV1 in April and looking forward to enjoying AC in VR.

Kaputtnik, Joules and Quffy like this.
  20. Turk

Turk Alien

I would assume VR just won't be on their radar until after the console release, that is going to be their main priority for now which I think is fair enough given the fact that there's no consumer VR to play with yet.

I would have also thought however that AC with it's laser scanning and accurate models would be ideal for VR in that everything is an exact representation of the real world, so we should be able to just slip into the world without having the need for any major adaptations. It's a layman's guess though, I don't know how difficult/easy it would be.

The main reason I'm interested in VR is to use it with AC, I'd be utterly shocked if they hadn't support for VR before the end of the year. But I won't be all that disappointed if AC isn't ready for the rift when it comes out. Mostly because I haven't preordered and will likely be waiting for the dust to settle after release before I make a decision on which one to buy. I'm trying to save money like mad, because I want to seriously upgrade my sim experience this year with VR and a direct drive wheel. I'm probably looking at spending in the region of €3000. Which is essentially an investment in AC.

Kaputtnik and Horus like this.
  21. Qwahzi

Qwahzi Rookie

+1 - I bought AC for VR, and I haven't played it since DK2 support broke.