1. Do you need support for Assetto Corsa Competizione? Please use the proper forum below and ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Logs" folder in your c:\users\*youruser*\AppData\Local\AC2\Saved. The "AppData" folder is hidden by default, check "Hidden items" in your Windows view properties. If you report a crash, ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Crashes" folder in the same directory. Do not post "I have the same issue" in an existing thread with a game crash, always open your own thread. Do not PM developers and staff members for personal troubleshooting and support.
  2. As part of our continuous maintenance and improvements to Assetto Corsa Competizione we will be releasing small updates on a regular basis during the esports season which might not go through the usual announcement process detailing the changes until a later version update where these changes will be listed retrospectively.
  3. If ACC doesn't start with an error or the executable is missing, please add your entire Steam directory to the exceptions in your antivirus software, run a Steam integrity check or reinstall the game altogether. Make sure you add the User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione folder to your antivirus/Defender exceptions and exclude it from any file sharing app (GDrive, OneDrive or Dropbox)! The Corsair iCue software is also known to conflict with Input Device initialization, if the game does not start up and you have such devices, please try disabling the iCue software and try again. [file:unknown] [line: 95] secure crt: invalid error is a sign of antivirus interference, while [Pak chunk signing mismatch on chunk] indicates a corrupted installation that requires game file verification.
  4. When reporting an issue with saved games, please always zip and attach your entire User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione/Savegame folder, along with the logs and the crash folder (when reporting related to a crash).

Opinions about sim vs. sim physics on different forums.

Discussion in 'Chit Chat Room' started by Caleb Mils, Mar 16, 2015.

1. poet

poet Hardcore Simmer

RF2's biggest weakness imo is ISI's content.
    For a while the biggest stars were all mod content (feel3's tracks, cars like the Ferrari challenge, NSX etc) but recently that has begun changing as they settle in to focusing on improving the content. The Corvette C6 was brilliant, they brought the NSX in, the Clio's got an upgrade and are superb. Some updated tracks (LRP) and new ones also show things are definitely getting better there.

2. Believe it or not but I don't think any of the pro racers that play iracing are paid by iracing. Dale Earnhardt Jr actually owns part of the company, but he really isn't into sim racing at all anymore whereas it used to be his main hobby. He was actually critical of the physics when he finally tried iracing again after a long hiatus and tweeted that he didn't like the 'glass tires'.

Shane van Gisbergen is a V8 supercar driver that loves to oval race at iracing.

The only drivers that I know got paid to promote iracing was Travis Pastrana and Marcos Ambrose.

Leemstradamus likes this.
  3. iVG

iVG Alien

Screw that crap, if I find something that drives better I'm off to the other universe. Sorry AC, see you later.
    I'm just open minded and don't defend lost causes.

TAM Spencer, Mogster and bigbawmcgraw like this.
  4. Zeną

Zeną Gamer

Only they didn't go from wooden to more rubbery ones :)

This song in a nutshell: It's hot, I'm bored, Let's have sex.

5. I spent two years trying to fall in love with iracing while learning how to drive it; I hope that it becomes what i want physics wise someday so that I can actually use the thousand dollars worth of content that I have waiting for me over there. Well, I will be able to use the tracks anyways, most of the cars I 'own' have since been replaced with newer versions that I must buy again even though one of the main reasons given for the high cost of them in the first place was that they would be updated for life for free.

Anyways, this is quickly about to turn into something resembling a religious war (which is what I feel the OP wants for whatever reason) so I am going to try to make this my last post in this thread.

er540 likes this.
  6. Caleb Mils

Caleb Mils Gamer

This post was written just after the release of 1.0. To me it seems like he felt, that the same car before and after 1.0 felt "like 2 completely different cars and one of them has got to be a mess compared to real life. You can't have 2 right answers.."

https://www.assettocorsa.net/forum/index.php?threads/bmw-e30-gra-dtm-loose-rear-after-1-0.19145/

7. Fat Rich

Fat Rich Hardcore Simmer

Yup, the Corvette around Lime Rock was a horrible experience, I did hundreds of laps trying to like that thing but hated every minute of it. I tried the Honda Civic BTCC around Silverstone Demo and it was much more fun, 1 million times better (no exaggeration :D). But rF2 just doesn't run well on my machine despite it running AC super smooth with a full grid of AI. And the physics didn't feel quite right to me either.

AC and Game Stock Car Extreme are both very accessible games because they have realistic (in my opinion) low speed grip and only become challenging near the limit. But I'm sure if I spent enough time with rFactor2 or iRacing I'd get used to the grip levels, discover the subtleties of the physics and tyre models and start to enjoy driving them. Because that's exactly what I've done with Grand Prix Legends which has some horrible low speed physics but is still one of the most fun sims to drive once you get the hang of it.

Once people have put the time in to learn their sims and get fast, they become very attached to them and look for the same handling and grip sensations when they try a different sim. And whinge if they don't get them because that's what racing drivers do ;):)

8. bigbawmcgraw

bigbawmcgraw Alien

No I can't really prove it, but when you see YT videos with pros, presenters, simracers etc with iRacing emblems embossed on their clothing it usually means they're receiving money to 'speak kindly' about it.
    Maybe I'm wrong but I've always been skeptical that way ;)

LeDude83 likes this.
  9. Hany

Hany Alien

Iracing gives u in every new build a new mx5. Also the fact that your first lap is your fastest lap proves that iracing has a messed up tire model.

Every lap after that 1st lap will be slower. In real life and in ac/rf2 u have to warm up your tires for atleast a lap to get to optimum temps/grip.

In iracing all the fast drivers use the same trick; drive very slow in the outlap to keep your tire temps and pressures low. Next lap push as hard as u can but if u mess up then u have to start all over. In iracing u are forced to use 1 particular driving style, if u can't adapt u will fall out of the boat. In ac/rf2 u can use your own drivng style and still be fast. Two different drivers use 2 different driving styles but achieve the same lap time. Drive ac for 3 months without touching a real car, now jump into a real car and u won't need to adapt because the feeling is still there. Try that in iracing and tell me how messed up you have become.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2015
    Tiago Lima, alex72, PhenOm and 11 others like this.
  10. Brownninja97

Brownninja97 Alien

Well this is my first sim that ive got into, i got race07 a while back because I saw a pagani zonda r on the injection picture. I was fresh off the console boat and needed a racing game. It didnt gel with me. I think about a year later AC was thrown at early access and winter 2013 it was on sale so i got it and i liked it. To be honest im not the biggest sim racer, im starting to get the hang of things but its an expensive hobby. The mods have kept me here. Im gonna be serious, when i first got the game i didnt have a wheel, i liked the physics etc and the game was fine and a bit fun but after 10hours i was done. A while later i saw a AC modding tutorial which caught my eye and so i found mods, that changed the game, i installed a few like the seat and early kutch, they werent amazing and i didnt have a wheel but following the mods and finding this forum has kept me in. Physics can go to hell, i dont care if its realistic or not, its fun enough as it is, the mods are like jeremy clarkson to top gear, without it the show would go on but it will never beat its former glory. Hence the reason why project cars is a failure in my eyes, they scream and shout about being one with the community yet they dont allow mods which is the ultimate form of being a part of the community.

I can tell you that AC plus my DFGT is a eye opener whenever someone comes to my house, 100% of the time someone will want to try it out and 100% of the time ffb will hurt their brains. When there is my father that tries to turn the chicane in monza at 70mph in a bloody muira and starts complaining to me that it should of been able to do that.

Honestly physics arent a big issue for me, i set nfs shift as the lowest benchmark, if the physics are meeting their standard or better then i will not complain, if its some silly racedriver grid crap then go away and dont talk to me but i do miss the old granturismo days on my ps2

kofotsjanne likes this.
  11. TAM Spencer

TAM Spencer Simracer

Irl driving a sports car fast is very easy with some practice, just like it is in AC

Irl driving a sports car on the limit is very hard, just like it is in AC

This is where AC wins out for me, its all easy until you start to push then it gets hard when you find where the limits are, very much like real life.

Most other sims make it tricky to keep a car on the track at 30mph where as irl anyone can do that.

When it comes to how the cars behave i can only compare track day cars and road cars like the E30, for me ive not felt anything better yet than AC's physics.

For the record i also play iRacing and although i think AC physics are better, i dont think iRacings physics are a million miles away either but they are not up to scratch of AC's.

12. victor86

victor86 Racer

Physics change from RC to 1.0 was barely noticeable, mostly only on lap times. And since when we are comparing racing sims to NFS and Mario Cart?

mariusz33pl and Cote Dazur like this.
  13. Caleb Mils

Caleb Mils Gamer

To you it was barely noticeable. But to some people it was like driving different cars.
    What I was trying to say was that it is easier get up to speed to easier driving game. And it doesn't have to be mean, that this driving game more realistic. It just means, that it is easier.
    It is natural, that it will take more time/effort to get up to speed to something that is more difficult. Whatever it is.

14. That "snap-spin" oversteer comment is an interesting one. That's because quite a lot of the cars seem to exhibit that characteristic in AC, but that could simply be because I don't have lightning fast reflexes ;) In fact, it also brings me to another observation that has puzzled me for some time. I watch other drivers on the monitor when online (either because I can't be bothered qualifying, or because I have already been dumped out of a race), and at times I see the cars get into some very strange sideways positions without the driver "losing it". Maybe this is just a consequence of the limited bandwidth when online, but I can't help wondering if I am driving the same car.

Now, don't get me wrong here. I am not the best driver in the world, and certainly not a "true" race driver. However, I do think that I am a reasonably good driver, and I try to drive all of the cars as smoothly as possible. By that, I mean none of this "frantic steering wheel back and forth" action that I have seen elsewhere, which is something that would almost certainly see my own car "pile it" big time if I had to do it myself. What I can't work out is the way that some of those cars (when viewed from the cockpit on the monitor) seem to behave when cornering. It just looks unrealistic to me, and nothing like how my own car behaves.

Whatever the case, I shall carry on driving the cars with my own classy style :D

15. Robin_NL

Robin_NL Alien

Well. What kind of car is your own car then?:)

Anyway, I guess many of us here have been in a go kart before? Not the (semi)pro ones but thos carnival/public gokarts.
    That feeling of easily accessible under/oversteer is the basis of some nice/real physics in a sim if you ask me. No downforce, just mechanical grip/no grip.

So I recommend everybody who thinks iRacing is better in physics than AC to drive that good old Lotus 49 in AC and report back. It's a big gokart and it's divine, because it's 'so real' in its behavior, just like a gokart is, honest and pure.
    I'm not a good movie editor etc, don't know anything about YouTube , but I 'm not a bad driver either in AC and irl.
    Take this example I made a few minutes ago(sorry iPhone quality no sound ), but it shows the balance of the car, by steering/braking/throttle inputs.

Many times it's the driver who lacks experience and skills. Keep on driving/practising.
    AC = Number one.

Cheers
    Robin

16. Cote Dazur

Cote Dazur Alien

Surprise surprise, on IRacing forum, they prefer IRacing physic/FFB and on AC forum they ( we) prefer AC physic/FBB, and so on. Would be weird to spend time trying to get information on the forum of a SIM we do not enjoy using.
    None of them are really close enough to the real thing that we can really say that they are the one.
    You have to choose what you think is representing what you think is closest to racing/driving. Most of us know well what driving is, racing, a lot less.
    Having more people preferring one flavor of it, does not make it any closer, just more appealing to a larger crowd on some level. To me AC is the one I prefer. I also prefer jazz over rapp, does not make one better than the other.
    Spending $3,000 on a wheel will not change that, it is the nature of SIM as we know it in 2015.
    Truth is you don't need that much to enjoy your favorite poison, the only challenge, in my book, is so many cars and tracks and not enough time.:)

17. Quffy

Quffy Alien

He meant the car he drives in game not real life; when watching other players in the game driving the same car as he does, to him it seem unrealistic the way they handle the car.

18. Robin_NL

Robin_NL Alien

Aha, off course:)

Anyway, my other statement stays the same, physics are physics. And AC is closest to the real thing you can get atm.

Cheers
    Robin

19. Jokeri

Jokeri Rookie

+the graphigs, I couldnt agree more. RF2 still uses diretx 9, have to say that I dont understand why they dont use newer directx.

Everyone should try RF2 (megane or dallara at LRP) with servowheel that can produce more than 10Nm of torque. The config file should be mofied so that the game knows what your max torque is.

20. St3fan

St3fan Alien

Sim racers should make a meme like this one to conclude the debate among different sims' fans :)
    [​IMG]

bigbawmcgraw likes this.