1. Do you need support for Assetto Corsa Competizione? Please use the proper forum below and ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Logs" folder in your c:\users\*youruser*\AppData\Local\AC2\Saved. The "AppData" folder is hidden by default, check "Hidden items" in your Windows view properties. If you report a crash, ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Crashes" folder in the same directory. Do not post "I have the same issue" in an existing thread with a game crash, always open your own thread. Do not PM developers and staff members for personal troubleshooting and support.
  2. As part of our continuous maintenance and improvements to Assetto Corsa Competizione we will be releasing small updates on a regular basis during the esports season which might not go through the usual announcement process detailing the changes until a later version update where these changes will be listed retrospectively.
  3. If ACC doesn't start with an error or the executable is missing, please add your entire Steam directory to the exceptions in your antivirus software, run a Steam integrity check or reinstall the game altogether. Make sure you add the User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione folder to your antivirus/Defender exceptions and exclude it from any file sharing app (GDrive, OneDrive or Dropbox)! The Corsair iCue software is also known to conflict with Input Device initialization, if the game does not start up and you have such devices, please try disabling the iCue software and try again. [file:unknown] [line: 95] secure crt: invalid error is a sign of antivirus interference, while [Pak chunk signing mismatch on chunk] indicates a corrupted installation that requires game file verification.
  4. When reporting an issue with saved games, please always zip and attach your entire User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione/Savegame folder, along with the logs and the crash folder (when reporting related to a crash).

Generic Optimal FOV Discussion

Discussion in 'Console Lounge' started by kashifm, May 22, 2017.

1. kashifm

kashifm Racer

Fist off, let me say that this makes a huge difference. Yesterday, I changed the FOV, just to test it, and I was driving completely different. The feel, the immersion, it was like I was playing a different game. I've never tampered with the FOV before, but after last night, I'm convinced it makes a HUGE difference.

Having said that, it seems really complicated to get the optimal setting for me. I've seen other threads open about this, but it's too many posts to skim through with a lot of different opinions, so I was hoping to get some clarity.

I use a 24" monitor, 16:9 @ 1080p. There's this calculator....

http://www.projectimmersion.com/fov/

First thing, it only let's you go up to 50" from the screen, and I'm sitting about 55" away from the screen. Second, when I put in my settings (or the closest to it), it tells me my FOV should be 13.42. But that's a little confusing because in the game, the lowest setting is 29 and even at that, it seems way too close. So am I missing something? What can I do to get the optimal setting? Or is it just about preference?

Also on a side note, am I the only one that the FOV is not saving for? My FOV keeps going back to default everytime I start a new session.

sissydriver and f0ff0 like this.

2. Similar Threads
    Forum Title Date
    ACC User Interface Optimal Fov for curved monitor Mar 25, 2023
    Chit Chat Room Optimal & Most realistic FOV for single monitor? May 19, 2014
    Chit Chat Room Rear-view mirror & optimal single-screen FOV setting, no TrackIR Jan 27, 2014
    Chit Chat Room FOV: Field of View. Optimal/real settings? Nov 25, 2013
    ACC Multiplayer Optimal settings for sensible variable weather Jan 31, 2023
    ACC Physics Optimal brake temp specifics? Nov 9, 2021
    ACC Physics Optimal Tire pressure still 27.4-27.8? Sep 11, 2021
    ACC Gameplay [1.7.5]ENG message for "slicks are optimal" is too early Mar 4, 2021
    ACC Virtual Reality Optimal Oculus Quest 2 VR Settings Nov 29, 2020
    ACC Physics Aston V8 Optimal Tyre Pressures Nov 12, 2020
    ACC PS4/PS5/XB1/XBX/S General Discussions TM T150 optimal FFB setting Jul 16, 2020
    ACC Physics Brakes: Optimal temperature Jun 3, 2020
    ACC Multiplayer How to set track condition to optimal? Feb 6, 2020
    ACC Controls & Peripherals Optimal Settings for Thrustmaster T-GT Jun 21, 2019
    XBox One Discussions MX5 CUP (ideal) optimal tyre pressures Jul 25, 2017

3. Reinart86

Reinart86 Racer

I play on a 27" monitor with my eyes about 67cm (don't know inch) from the screen wich gives me a 29° fov in assetto. Pfieuw it just fits haha :D

so yeah if possible go sit as close as you can without seeing individual pixels and then set your fov to max 5° more than what the calculator says and it's all good.

If you have a rig and wheel it's really nice and I would say essential to have a 1;1 scale.

4. Reinart86

Reinart86 Racer

Good video that explains the importance of a correct field of view.

Pip_-72- and HavanaB0B like this.
  5. ZX636

ZX636 Hardcore Simmer

For everyone's interest, remember that AC uses vertical FOV.

6. Reinart86

Reinart86 Racer

7. Richard793

Richard793 Gamer

8. PRO Stream BG

PRO Stream BG Simracer

Im on 65 inch Sony Bravia ZD9 and on Project cars i used between 80 to 90 but there is differend i think is "horizontal" FOV and on Assetto is "vertical" or was at reverse :) , so for me is good at 65-75 and later zoom a bit with the zoom in arrow, just to match my personal feel in the differend cars, and ajust to see a big part of the front "window"! But in any case the FOV is totally personal, have people who likes it lower, others like me a bit more higher but not too extream because starts to "deform" the cars in your vision and the road itself... So make sure to set a FOV in a good spot in the track with a parked car front of you to see the best how you prefere it! (ask a friend in online session to help you position it front of you at 10 meters...then do your FOV set up)

9. sissydriver

sissydriver Alien

Thank you so much for this information!! :):)
    Playing AC since February i never touched the "FOV-Thing" until this thread was opened. Yesterday i took a closer look at it - had 50 and 90cm from Monitor. Now 35 and 75cm - the immersion is so different. :):)
    Needed some laps to learn how to drive now and then improved so that i could do short fuse at spa (only bronce....love the achivements atm). :p
    Love this forum. Helps a lot! :D:D:D

LeDude83, pippo10 and Reinart86 like this.
  10. bradleyland

bradleyland Hardcore Simmer

FOV is both subjective (preference) and objective (factual).

The size of objects, their location within your view, and the translation (movement) of objects across your screen are all dictated by simple geometry. That is to say, for a given screen size and viewing distance, the correct field of view will render objects at the same size as if you were sitting in an actual car. Likewise, objects will translate (move) through your view in the same proportions as real life. This is fact, not preference.

Unfortunately, many console gamers are playing on a couch (more than 1 meter away) with a reasonably sized television 36"-55". If the geometry of your viewing setup doesn't work well for optimal FOV, you have to compromise. That's where preference comes in: how much are you willing to compromise?

To get a sense of how poor the geometry of a typical couch setup is, just imagine someone built a black box around a car. The wall in front of you is the same distance as your TV. Now imagine that someone cut a hole in the wall that is the size of your TV. It's like viewing the world through a keyhole.

In order to see more, you have two options: make the window larger (bigger TV), or move closer to the window (sit closer to the TV). When you look at the geometry, something interesting is revealed. Moving closer yields much greater improvement than making the window larger. This is why it is so important to sit as close as possible to your TV.

Perell0ne, Dave53, slr5000912 and 5 others like this.
  11. Dave53

Dave53 Racer

I was not aware of this. In reality though, adjusting the FOV, whether it be vertical or horizontal, impacts on what is seen in both axes, doesn't it? Is there a difference, in intention for having an adjustment which impacts vertical over horizontal?

12. Perell0ne

Perell0ne Racer

I wanted to change TV (37") for bigger one in order to be able to set a bigger FOV, that let you see the cockpit (let's say 54° as by default). So, instead of calculate several configuration online I created a spreadsheet with a range of screens and distance to see the best match or the acheivable one. As you see below it' not comforting:
    upload_2017-8-23_17-36-45.png
    Considering the minimum value is 29° and cannot make a hole in the wall to sit closer to TV (min distance is 130cm in my case), with my actual TV the recommended one is ridicolus narrow and not acheivable; even going for a 55" I could just set it to the minimum.
    In such condition for "speed" and realism is better to use the bonnet view then, but loosing a lot of "immersion".

I'm thinking so of mounting (new) TV on extendible arms in order to move it closer and get other 40cm. It would lead to FOV 42°. But TV must also be 4K then, because already at 130cm I can see pixels, getting closer would deteriorate more.

If someone need the spreadsheet I'm ready to provide. There is also the hFOV in another tab.

13. bradleyland

Do you have a Google Account? You could publish this as a Google Spreadsheet, which would be tremendously helpful. I'm happy to assist as well. If you send me a private message, I'll reply with my email. You could send me the spreadsheet file and I could upload to Google Sheets, and give you credit, of course.

Maverick944 likes this.
  14. bradleyland

Regarding optimal distance and FOV, keep in mind that these calculations give you the "optimal" FOV. Your brain is able to adjust to a non-optimal FOV pretty easily. The key is using a consistent view (dash, for example), FOV setting, and viewing distance, so that your perception can map to the size of the TV and the way objects translate across the screen.

In this context, translate is a term used to describe the movement of objects across the screen. When you move around in the real world, all objects translate across your field of view relative to the location of your eyes. With a non-optimal FOV setting, objects on screen will translate around a point that is not centered on you, the viewer. However, objects will still translate around a single point (the "camera"), which is why our brains can pretty easily adjust to perceive movement correctly.

There are limits, however, so the closer to optimal you get, the less you're asking of your brain. At some point, the distortion becomes so severe, that your immersion breaks. This point is different for everyone, and finding yours is key. In other words, I wouldn't obsess over achieving "perfect" FOV so much as I would focus on balancing your FOV setting with your ability to see what's around you and your sense of immersion.

Kaaarp and Perell0ne like this.
  15. Perell0ne

Perell0ne Racer

gabriel2706, Donnced2 and bradleyland like this.
  16. Perell0ne

Perell0ne Racer

I had short test, and definitively with a Fov set to 31° (instead of the previous 54°) the feeling of speed, apex and breaking points are magically much easy to catch. Cons, in sharp turns you really have no idea where you are going.

bradleyland and Dave53 like this.
  17. bradleyland

Doesn't look like anyone answered this directly.

Short answer: No, there is no difference in intention.

Long answer: The difference between horizontal FOV and vertical FOV is simply the axis being measured. It's no different than specifying the height of a proportional rectangle by height, versus specifying it by width. For example, if I defined our rectangle as always having an aspect ratio of 16:9, you specify the size using height or width, and there is only one practical impact.

Specifying by height means that small changes in specified distance will have a proportionally larger impact on overall size; because you multiply by 1.7777 to get the width. When you specify the width, you multiply by 0.5625 to get the height. Numerically, small changes in vertical height have a greater impact on overall size (area) when using a 16:9 aspect ratio.

Pip_-72- and paul_wev like this.
  18. Dave53

Dave53 Racer

Thanks mate. Brilliant answer! Clears it up for me nicely. Cheers.

paul_wev likes this.