1. Do you need support for Assetto Corsa Competizione? Please use the proper forum below and ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Logs" folder in your c:\users\*youruser*\AppData\Local\AC2\Saved. The "AppData" folder is hidden by default, check "Hidden items" in your Windows view properties. If you report a crash, ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Crashes" folder in the same directory. Do not post "I have the same issue" in an existing thread with a game crash, always open your own thread. Do not PM developers and staff members for personal troubleshooting and support.
  2. As part of our continuous maintenance and improvements to Assetto Corsa Competizione we will be releasing small updates on a regular basis during the esports season which might not go through the usual announcement process detailing the changes until a later version update where these changes will be listed retrospectively.
  3. If ACC doesn't start with an error or the executable is missing, please add your entire Steam directory to the exceptions in your antivirus software, run a Steam integrity check or reinstall the game altogether. Make sure you add the User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione folder to your antivirus/Defender exceptions and exclude it from any file sharing app (GDrive, OneDrive or Dropbox)! The Corsair iCue software is also known to conflict with Input Device initialization, if the game does not start up and you have such devices, please try disabling the iCue software and try again. [file:unknown] [line: 95] secure crt: invalid error is a sign of antivirus interference, while [Pak chunk signing mismatch on chunk] indicates a corrupted installation that requires game file verification.
  4. When reporting an issue with saved games, please always zip and attach your entire User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione/Savegame folder, along with the logs and the crash folder (when reporting related to a crash).

Oversteering in FWD touring cars

Discussion in 'Chit Chat Room' started by chakko, Jun 12, 2017.

1. chakko

chakko Alien

2. Similar Threads
    Forum Title Date
    ACC Physics cars overheating front brakes and oversteering in multiplayer Dec 14, 2018
    Chit Chat Room Recovering a oversteering MR car... Dec 1, 2016
    Console Lounge Oversteering hard - special event Oct 16, 2016
    Controllers and Peripherals Bugs & Issues Logitech g27, fresh install of windows, cars now steer for me when oversteering Dec 19, 2015
    Programming Language - Apps - GUI Themes Oversteering Mar 31, 2015
    Physics modding - Cars & Tyres FWD - on power oversteer? Nov 17, 2017
    Chit Chat Room Kunos a modern FWD touring car maybe? May 30, 2017
    Chit Chat Room New FWD Nordschleife laptime record by 2017 Civic Type R Apr 24, 2017
    Chit Chat Room Tips for driving FWD cars Jan 31, 2017
    Suggestions A new fwd focused Japanese dlc car pack? Jan 10, 2017
    Physics modding - Cars & Tyres Need more tire grip for FWD car May 23, 2016
    Chit Chat Room Fwd hooning... how?! Jan 19, 2016
    Suggestions FWD or RWD info in Car Spec ?? Jan 23, 2014
    Chit Chat Room When will we get 4WD & FWD Cars Dec 24, 2013

3. Gevatter

Gevatter Alien

Well it's a Civic, what do you expect? Probably lost a rear wheel :p

4. chakko

chakko Alien

Actually, i looked twice in the mirror that there wasn't a car behind him which touched his right rear. :D I love that oversteer though. I want too. :(

5. Stereo

Stereo Alien

If you want oversteer just stiffen the rear roll bar & springs, it's not hard. And toe them out, that helps cause random violent oversteer too.

FWD touring cars run intentionally very twitchy setups because they can't oversteer with throttle, it's really not representative of how cars in general will handle, just the things necessary to make a FWD fast in a race.

MrDeap, AlleyViper and Ace Pumpkin like this.
  6. Andy-R

Andy-R Alien

With my setup the Abarth 500 AC oversteers a lot under braking with wing 0. At quite a few tracks I have to use 1 or 2 wing to keep the rear in check.

7. John Gordon

John Gordon Hardcore Simmer

As I commented in your last thread on the same subject, it happens in AC too!

8. Jos_theboss

Jos_theboss Hardcore Simmer

Yea but you touched the curb...

And the real life vid is barely a corner.

9. Mogster

Mogster Alien

Jos_theboss likes this.
  10. chakko

chakko Alien

I don't know. Might be. On the other hand, with too much steering input, in real life, you simple get oversteering (or, of course, depending on the weight load, the weigh ratio, and the track elevation, understeer). I believe when Stereo says that it's partly a setup thing to a degree, but, it's just natural physics. And something which, IMO, in some sims is a bit too dumbed down/good-natured.

I used to watch a lot of BTCC in the late 90's/early 2000's, and they oversteered a lot. Or went haywire under heavy braking. Check this out, completely on the ragged edge:

Ok, pretty whacky tires compared to nowadays, i guess, still, i think it's visible that it's really, really twitchy.

11. John Gordon

Too much steering input in FWD would NEVER equal oversteer. I'm not saying this to sound cool on the internet. To sound like I know what I'm talking about. I'm talking about years of rallying/rallycross and many track events in FWD cars.

Too fast into a corner with too much lock, you're going forwards (understeer)

To get the rear to move you have to play with the weight of the car, you have to bring the weight forward onto the front and this lets the rear slide. The easiest way to do this is to let off the throttle after you've turned in. This is exactly what happens to the Honda Civic in the first video, he rolls off the accelerator, the weight shifts and the rear comes around, he made a bit of an over correction and so had a second slide which he could not hold.

Horus and cicimicikiller like this.
  12. Proper FWD can be quite fast, but they're hard to drive. Almost no one runs proper setups in real life at the amateur level... Just understeery dogs. Here's how it should be:

Cote Dazur likes this.
  13. chakko

chakko Alien

Actually, he does accelerate, when the car goes loose.

14. John Gordon

Yes, to pull himself out the slide.

But, you're all right. I'm wrong. Real fwd cars oversteer so much more. I'll leave quietly.

Horus likes this.
  15. chakko

chakko Alien

Please, don't. Let's discuss, rather. :) (and please don't think i dismiss your input and experience, i really don't) I do think that you are wrong in this case though. He accelerates, and then slides, because he's too fast into the corner. IMO.

16. Andy-R

Andy-R Alien

I can't be bothered to get some new footage of a massive slide but these minor slides kept happening on Saturday at Silverstone National with rear wing set to 1. I was having real problems at Brooklands and Luffield with the rear trying to step out under braking. I've had major oversteer in this car at RBR National through Rindt corner in MP before.

17. chakko

chakko Alien

Hey Andy,

ok, but that is oversteering under braking, what i was rather after is corner oversteer, the type when you're cornering too fast/steering input is too much. The video i linked in the OP, but also the video i linked in post #9 show that very well, IMO.

18. Andy-R

Andy-R Alien

Has the driver recovered enough to comment yet or the team? It looks like a bit of a strange crash.

19. In the vid pretty sure that was a puncture. Same happened in the race to someone else and the guy flipped.

Ace Pumpkin likes this.
  20. Stereo

Stereo Alien

Heh, you can tell how stiff it is in the rear, the inside tire lifts off the ground at turn-in.

21. chakko

chakko Alien

Doesn't sound like it: http://www.tcr-series.com/index.php/news/item/tassi-escapes-from-heavy-shunt-at-the-salzburgring

It says that he lost control under braking, but, you can see in the video that his left foot isn't on the brake at the moment he begins drifting. Video here: http://www.tcr-series.tv/2017-salzb...nboard-camera-driver-inunjered_56fff7313.html