1. Do you need support for Assetto Corsa Competizione? Please use the proper forum below and ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Logs" folder in your c:\users\*youruser*\AppData\Local\AC2\Saved. The "AppData" folder is hidden by default, check "Hidden items" in your Windows view properties. If you report a crash, ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Crashes" folder in the same directory. Do not post "I have the same issue" in an existing thread with a game crash, always open your own thread. Do not PM developers and staff members for personal troubleshooting and support.
  2. As part of our continuous maintenance and improvements to Assetto Corsa Competizione we will be releasing small updates on a regular basis during the esports season which might not go through the usual announcement process detailing the changes until a later version update where these changes will be listed retrospectively.
  3. If ACC doesn't start with an error or the executable is missing, please add your entire Steam directory to the exceptions in your antivirus software, run a Steam integrity check or reinstall the game altogether. Make sure you add the User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione folder to your antivirus/Defender exceptions and exclude it from any file sharing app (GDrive, OneDrive or Dropbox)! The Corsair iCue software is also known to conflict with Input Device initialization, if the game does not start up and you have such devices, please try disabling the iCue software and try again. [file:unknown] [line: 95] secure crt: invalid error is a sign of antivirus interference, while [Pak chunk signing mismatch on chunk] indicates a corrupted installation that requires game file verification.
  4. When reporting an issue with saved games, please always zip and attach your entire User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione/Savegame folder, along with the logs and the crash folder (when reporting related to a crash).

Pc configuration advise

Discussion in 'Chit Chat Room' started by Tom_Sr3, Nov 6, 2014.

1. Tom_Sr3

Tom_Sr3 Rookie

I'm looking to build a new PC for games, the primary purpose will be AC and possibly Project Cars (when it's released and if the gameplay is to my liking). Up until now I've been playing on my old iMac which is fine for hotlapping (native res with no AI cars runs around 4-60 fps with all graphics on low) but when adding traffic the fps drops to around 30 with constant drops which makes it impossible to drive races or go online.

I was looking at the next configuration

Intel Core i5-4460
    MSI H97 GUARD-PRO
    Asus STRIX-GTX970-DC2OC-4GD5
    Crucial Ballistix Tactical BLT2C4G3D1608ET3LX0CEU (8GB)

Fractal Design Define R4 Pearl Black
    Seasonic M12II Evo 520W
    Crucial MX100 256GB

I'm planning to use it with a 1080p display.

The questions I have is if the CPU is quick enough. I've read that normally the CPU is not that stressed in gaming but I would like to use this configuration for a couple of years. Also if I'm on the right track with this configuration or if there are some reasons why this system would not enough to run high graphics settings.

Thank you very much.

(I hope this topic is okay, I wouldn't know where to post it other than chit chat.)

2. Similar Threads
    Forum Title Date
    ACC PS4/PS5/XB1/XBX/S General Discussions Dedicated server configuration gportal Feb 21, 2023
    Physics modding - Cars & Tyres Rear Axle configuration Feb 4, 2023
    ACC PS4/PS5/XB1/XBX/S General Discussions Custom race configuration Jan 30, 2023
    ACC Troubleshooting Consult / Suggestion shifter configuration Jan 21, 2022
    ACC Troubleshooting Fatal Error when booting ACC [audio driver misconfiguration] Jan 14, 2022
    ACC General Discussions Custom Grid Configuration? Aug 27, 2021
    ACC Gameplay Complete Mess after Update 1.7.10? [Controller configuration issue] Jun 4, 2021
    Controllers and Peripherals Bugs & Issues Xbox 360 Controller Right Stick configuration Feb 5, 2021
    ACC Troubleshooting Out of video memory trying to allocate a texture! [Windows swap file misconfiguration/disabled] Nov 8, 2020
    ACC Controls & Peripherals ACC resets brake configuration + problem downshifting Sep 1, 2020
    ACC PS4/PS5/XB1/XBX/S General Discussions Need Help Understanding Weather in ACC Server Configuration Aug 31, 2020
    ACC Hardware Discussions SETUP - Why dont you include DUAL display configuration Aug 26, 2020
    ACC Physics Car configuration Aug 17, 2020
    ACC PS4/PS5/XB1/XBX/S General Discussions What ffb configuration with T500rs do you have after patch 1.03? Jul 28, 2020
    Steering wheels discussions configuration of wheel when can t use pedals Jul 25, 2020

3. MrBungle

MrBungle Racer

Looks like an awesome build, if you can afford it, I'd be tempted to swop the i5 for an i7. then your looking at a really top end system, I upgraded to an i7 and have noticed the benefits in terms of FPs in certain games I play. the devils canyon looks like a nice option if your not an overclocker.

Although im sure you can play pretty much anything if you decide to stick with the i5, the 970 looks like the best value card on the market right now and I think ill make that my next choice too.

4. Quffy

Quffy Alien

the gigabyte and msi versions of the gtx 970 are better than asus and evga.

TheBestBeast likes this.
  5. Tom_Sr3

Tom_Sr3 Rookie

From the research I have done so far I get the feeling that the i7 does not provide any boost over an i5. The main difference being hyperthreading and games not using it. Is it something that is expected from games being released in the future?

Again from reading about these cards I read the fastest one is the EVGA, the MSI seems to have some coilwhine (and has fans running every 30 seconds) and the Asus one is a good allrounder. I'll read around some more, thanks for the heads up.

A.r.e.s. and Vital-Blurs like this.
  6. i5 > i7 for gaming...
    However!
    I'd go for 'K' series, as they can be OC'd, and Intel CPU's can be nicely OC'd.

Jordi Lloveras likes this.
  7. MrBungle

MrBungle Racer

I'm not speaking from research, I am speaking from experience, and the I7 has more cores and that is not a disadvantage.

8. mms

mms Alien

The I7 does not have more cores than the I5, it has 4 cores but with hyperthreading (each core being able to run two threads), that's why it's showing up as 8 cores. 8 cores is not always better than 4, the game needs to be able to exploit that, and it also depends on the processor. With the first generation of I7 and I5 processors and the games of those times the I5 actually performed better than the I7, however that changed with the latest generations of CPU and the newer games.

A.r.e.s. likes this.
  9. A.r.e.s.

A.r.e.s. Hardcore Simmer

Looks like a good build, although you may find yourself a little short of storage space at 256GB, but then you may not, depending on how many games you play. If you have the extra cash, go for a GTX 980.

i5 should be plenty.

Tom_Sr3 likes this.
  10. Andrew_WOT

Andrew_WOT Alien

Isn't i7 current gen is 5, 6 cores, 12 threads, 40 PCI-E lines.
    http://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php?cpu=Intel+Core+i7-5930K+@+3.50GHz

11. mms

mms Alien

12. Andrew_WOT

Andrew_WOT Alien

Yep, latest gen price/performance index is not that great. But hey, it should still be up to snuff a couple of years from now.

13. Tom_Sr3

Tom_Sr3 Rookie

Thank you guys for the responses. It really helps in making the decision.

256GB should be fine to begin with, I still have a spare 1TB hdd if needed but with only Windows and AC on it I think it'll be enough for now. I was looking at the 980 but I think the extra investment will not be worth it for me. Thanks for the information as well. :)

14. Gsgomma!

Gsgomma! Racer

yes the 980 is good if you plan to play on triple monitor or more high resolution, keep in mind that more resolution is high more is graphic demanding on the other side if you play on low resolution(eg 800*600) is more CPU intesive, whith the i5 and the 970 @1080p you are good, the difference in game for i5 and i7 is very little I think 2/3 fps maybe.
    For multiplayer the cpu is very important not only the graphic card but as I told the i5 is fine

Last edited: Nov 7, 2014
    Tom_Sr3 likes this.
  15. Tom_Sr3

Tom_Sr3 Rookie

Purchase has been done and fun has been had so far. Thank you guys for the information, PC is definitely up to snuff so I'll be enjoying AC so much more now.