1. Do you need support for Assetto Corsa Competizione? Please use the proper forum below and ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Logs" folder in your c:\users\*youruser*\AppData\Local\AC2\Saved. The "AppData" folder is hidden by default, check "Hidden items" in your Windows view properties. If you report a crash, ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Crashes" folder in the same directory. Do not post "I have the same issue" in an existing thread with a game crash, always open your own thread. Do not PM developers and staff members for personal troubleshooting and support.
  2. As part of our continuous maintenance and improvements to Assetto Corsa Competizione we will be releasing small updates on a regular basis during the esports season which might not go through the usual announcement process detailing the changes until a later version update where these changes will be listed retrospectively.
  3. If ACC doesn't start with an error or the executable is missing, please add your entire Steam directory to the exceptions in your antivirus software, run a Steam integrity check or reinstall the game altogether. Make sure you add the User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione folder to your antivirus/Defender exceptions and exclude it from any file sharing app (GDrive, OneDrive or Dropbox)! The Corsair iCue software is also known to conflict with Input Device initialization, if the game does not start up and you have such devices, please try disabling the iCue software and try again. [file:unknown] [line: 95] secure crt: invalid error is a sign of antivirus interference, while [Pak chunk signing mismatch on chunk] indicates a corrupted installation that requires game file verification.
  4. When reporting an issue with saved games, please always zip and attach your entire User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione/Savegame folder, along with the logs and the crash folder (when reporting related to a crash).

Physical Condition v Sim Racing Performance

Discussion in 'ACC General Discussions' started by Plastic_Manc, Dec 6, 2019.

1. Plastic_Manc

Plastic_Manc Hardcore Simmer

Hey all,

After a quick google, not much content on actual physical conditioning versus sim racing performance. Straight away youd think, yeah no g forces, rigs much more maluable than physical parts so largely irrelevant and so forth.

I'm coming at this the other way as have had a pretty poorly back for about 2 months and was only able to sit long enough to do a race very recently (couldn't sit down long enough on strong painkillers before).

The reality for me was at Monza, which is my best known track, I was 2.5 seconds a lap slower than previous largely due to the fact I had no physical aggression able to give on the brakes at my usual breaking points.

Extrapolating the other way, does anyone have evidence of being quicker due to living a healthier life style/ working out etc?

romandevision, chksix and Piret2000 like this.

2. Similar Threads
    Forum Title Date
    ACC User Interface funny bug, physical car mirrors showing pits (during in session terminated replay) May 28, 2022
    ACC General Discussions Buying a physical copy of ACC for PC? Feb 24, 2022
    ACC Controls & Peripherals Physical toggle switches? Feb 16, 2021
    ACC Online Leagues / Championships room "Every Lap Counts" Racing League for the Physically Disabled Jan 7, 2021
    ACC General Discussions Physical driver swaps in an on line race Jan 12, 2020
    ACC Gameplay Pit Crew Physical Presence Needed!! Oct 18, 2019
    Physics modding - Cars & Tyres Mooding question. Need "Physically" explanations. May 17, 2019
    Steering wheels discussions Wheel rotation not synchron (visual>physical) Oct 14, 2018
    Graphics and Models/Tracks Bugs & Issues Physical gap at Laguna Seca Dec 24, 2017
    General modding discussion Does physical surface mesh texture has an impact for grip ? Nov 6, 2017
    Chit Chat Room Possibility to show physical wheel ingame Dec 18, 2016
    Graphics and Models/Tracks Bugs & Issues Mugello use a low resolution mesh for physical road. Dec 8, 2016
    General modding discussion Physical Spawned Objects? Sep 1, 2016
    Graphics and Models/Tracks Bugs & Issues Physical based rendering & 64bit ac version Aug 29, 2015
    Multiplayer Bugs & Issues Physical contacts with other cars Jul 17, 2015

3. Coanda

Coanda Alien

I belive it can help. Just like a car if you're firing on all cylinders then the magic will come.. I sympathise with you. I have also had my fair share of back, hip and knee problems which caused me a fair bit of pain whilst sim racing. My left leg use to go numb from pain whilst being on fire therefore I could no longer brake anymore. Changing rigs has helped a lot as I am much better aligned for my body mechanics. I also have hashimotos disease which can play around with my energy levels and sleep patterns. Some days I also struggle to find the energy to turn the wheel.
    Some exercise and stretching helps me..

Last edited: Dec 6, 2019
    LucaBenj and chksix like this.
  4. anthonylroy

anthonylroy Hardcore Simmer

I think the biggest effect is tiredness, if you work all day and you are mentally exhausted, your lap times drop drastically

5. lizzyanne

lizzyanne Rookie

I find this to be very true. So my times to be the best on the weekends when I’m rested.

6. Guidofoc

Guidofoc Alien

Sim racing needs focus and good reflexes for a prolonged amount of time. FFB wheels, pedals and buttons also require some physical fitness and coordination. Anything one does do to improve these will help. Having lived in Asia for a while, I remember doing online races in early morning while some of my competitors were in their evening. I could see I had a small advantage due to being mentally and physically fresh which helped me to focus. I also remember doing 2h+ endurance multiplayer races and feeling pain in the shoulder because of too much tension, which is partially from being tired and partially from not having prepared enough for a race. When I prepare for a race I am much more relaxed and usually less tired in the end. Which I think depends on the fact that if you prepare for a race you make driving around the track become a reflex action, so your conscious brain does not have to worry about that and can focus on the racing instead. So I would say it is a combination of being reasonably fit, mentally and physically fresh, and doing enough preparation for a race.

LotusRacer likes this.
  7. PLebre

PLebre Hardcore Simmer

This days Sim Racing come a long way.
    It became so demanding that you have to be in shape to compete.
    Most of times I stay away from my rig because I am so tired out from long working day.
    I am 53 year old and spend most of the working time on a PC.

8. XettMan

XettMan Hardcore Simmer

For me most effect has how tired I am.
    Sometimes in the evening when kid is in bed I am too exhausted from the day and then I do not go into the rig.
    Sometimes I try when I am tired and usually after 5 mins -2 SA is the result...

AJ McDaddy and sr bubbles like this.
  9. Dobermann92

Dobermann92 Racer

Physical fitness isn't really important but pain can be hindering. On the other hand I'm always tired and sleepy because of anaemia and sometimes it is so bad that I cannot race at all even if I drink coffee. My body usually needs 10-12 hours of sleep per day anyways, so I have little free time to race.

10. Plastic_Manc

Thanks for the responses and interesting to hear difficulties others face. I've adjusted my brake to require less pressure to apply full stopping force and that has helped but hoping to regain full fitness over the next few weeks.

Concentration has been rubbish so far so definitely a skill that needs continual work.

11. sissydriver

sissydriver Alien

If I try to understand things, to understand processes then I look, if possible, how do it the best of the best. look at the best simracers - you'll see more trained, very fit people. Of course they have a different claim than you but it could be an orientation.

12. Zeraxx

Zeraxx Racer

I always find if I sleep a few extra hours and take care of my mind I always perform better in simracing, especially the sleep comment people have made. If I pull all nighters playing I perform very bad rather than just getting a few extra hours of sleep.

13. F1Aussie

F1Aussie Racer

Well the guys in F1 eSports and wfg aren't exactly the fittest most athletic looking people. Brendon Leigh won the first F1 eSports when he was the size of a small planet.

chksix likes this.
  14. romandevision

romandevision Simracer

Usually if I make a mistake in 2-3 turns in a row, I don't start the next race - practice has shown that it will only get worse. After a working day, concentration is usually lost.

After 11PM, everything's usually fine. :)

15. Oscar1900

Oscar1900 Racer

I have to agree with many that mental state is very important and for sim racing probably the most important when it comes to this thread. There are times that I get on and I last about 10 minutes and I'm done b/c I know that I'm not doing well.

However, I keep myself fit to some degree. I'm almost 60 years old, I work 10+ hours a day during the week, and hours on the weekends, as CTO/Systems Architect of a technology company.
    But I do take time for fitness everyday. I do 60 push ups (3 sets: 25, 20, 15). I do 60 crunches (2 sets: 30, 30). I walk a couple of miles. I do balancing exercises on a balance ball. What I do notice when doing the balancing exercises is that my left leg is a bit stronger than my right one. I believe that has to do with the LC break. My pedals are an old Fanatec set that I believe are 45Kg. That's enough to make a difference. At the end of the day I have an electric massage machine that I use on my neck and lower back.

Thank God I don't have some of the problem others suffer of in this thread. I'm blessed that way. @Platic_Manc, I'm sorry you have back problems. I've had times here and there where I've pulled my back and I can only imagine how hard it would be to have back pain all the time. Have you tried some yoga exercises? I, of course, not knowing you will not recommend anything specific, but you might want to look into that. So to answer your question directly, I can't tell for sure if being physically fit directly helps sim racing, but I know for a fact that the quality of life is better when I'm fit than when I'm not. I believe with my work schedule, I would have many more of those days that I couldn't sim race if it were not for the fact that I'm physically fit (kind of).

f_deutsch and chksix like this.
  16. Plastic_Manc

Thanks Oscar1900. Fortunately after a few months I'm on the mend from sciatica. There was a point i could only dream of being sat for over 5 mins so to be sat racing (badly!) Is a big step forward.

Lots of stretches etc have helped and I'm starting my tae kwondo up again this sunday which will aid my healing. I've promised myself a set of fanatec v3 pedals when I'm fully back to normal! Will still have to rock the G29 wheel for longer though as the wife always has plans for our money!

Thanks again,

Plastic

Coanda and Piret2000 like this.
  17. Oscar1900

Oscar1900 Racer

Plastic_Manc, I feel for you man. But I'm glad that you're on the mends. I bet you can't wait to start Tae Kwondo again.

18. Coanda

Coanda Alien

have you tried a foam roller?

19. Plastic_Manc

Yeah, thanks Coanda. Have one to primarily roll out the tension created in my hamstrings. Has helped somewhat and useful now as the left foot braking has caused some tension.

Interesting how driving a real car has caused much less agro!

Coanda likes this.
  20. SharpeXB

SharpeXB Gamer

I have had back troubles too and staying in shape physically, losing weight, physical therapy had helped a lot. And the effect on sim racing would of course be that I don’t get pain from sitting for long periods.
    It’s really important to have a good chair. I recently sought out a chair from Relax the Back which had the correct adjustments for gaming and racing (a locking recline feature, lumbar support and adjustable height). What’s funny is I discovered the owner of the store was a sim racer too!
    While of course sim racing is not as physically demanding as the real thing, it’s about the most physical PC game I can think of. So being in shape helps.

Last edited: Dec 28, 2019
  21. 6de1952650

6de1952650 Rookie

I don’t think I’ll ever understand anyone who claims AC has great physics. It feels so far from anything I’ve ever driven.