1. Do you need support for Assetto Corsa Competizione? Please use the proper forum below and ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Logs" folder in your c:\users\*youruser*\AppData\Local\AC2\Saved. The "AppData" folder is hidden by default, check "Hidden items" in your Windows view properties. If you report a crash, ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Crashes" folder in the same directory. Do not post "I have the same issue" in an existing thread with a game crash, always open your own thread. Do not PM developers and staff members for personal troubleshooting and support.
  2. As part of our continuous maintenance and improvements to Assetto Corsa Competizione we will be releasing small updates on a regular basis during the esports season which might not go through the usual announcement process detailing the changes until a later version update where these changes will be listed retrospectively.
  3. If ACC doesn't start with an error or the executable is missing, please add your entire Steam directory to the exceptions in your antivirus software, run a Steam integrity check or reinstall the game altogether. Make sure you add the User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione folder to your antivirus/Defender exceptions and exclude it from any file sharing app (GDrive, OneDrive or Dropbox)! The Corsair iCue software is also known to conflict with Input Device initialization, if the game does not start up and you have such devices, please try disabling the iCue software and try again. [file:unknown] [line: 95] secure crt: invalid error is a sign of antivirus interference, while [Pak chunk signing mismatch on chunk] indicates a corrupted installation that requires game file verification.
  4. When reporting an issue with saved games, please always zip and attach your entire User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione/Savegame folder, along with the logs and the crash folder (when reporting related to a crash).

Physics differences AC/ACC

Discussion in 'ACC General Discussions' started by chargingcar, Feb 21, 2018.

1. Johnnypenso

Johnnypenso Simracer

More brains almost inevitably leads to more money. So you're still a few dollars short I see.

2. Ace Pumpkin

Ace Pumpkin Alien

That’s not entirely true, infect it’s quite the opposite.

3. Dean Ogurek

Dean Ogurek Alien

There are a few OSW guy's running huge servo's capable of 60Nm of torque; for them, it's not about the torque but, the overall dynamic range and the motor's ability to convey FFB that better replicates actual steering system characteristics. Of course, for some Classic and Vintage race cars, steering-torque levels could reach well beyond what the typical DD-wheel can produce.

It's worth identifying a few main categories of Sim-racer's FFB rationale for using DD-wheels: Performance & Precision: yes - DD can improve PB lap-times for some and most certainly, consistency / Realism: DD wheels are better at providing more realistic feeling FFB but, that's not to suggest it's perfect. There is no substitute for the RL complex mechanical nature of automotive steering systems / Immersion: Realism may be of less importance; the focus is on information and detail to mimic some of the RL forces (cues) missing from the virtual experience.

As to the value of such DD-systems, it seems to me that's a personal matter best left to the individual to determine. I'm sure many here could sacrifice something to make ownership possible - if they really wanted to. We all have our vices and places where we spend frivolously at times; if that were not that case, why be here (?) I don't know, . . . perhaps a few less shotguns in the armory or something like that. :p:D

4. konnos

konnos Simracer

Believe it or not, the basic DD wheels are totally worth their money. Going upwards of 1500+ you are entering fetish territory. The accuforce has not made me faster, in fact I cannot match some of my old old "records" with the DFGT, but that's when i was running one combo and focusing on it. Nowadays I drive whatever I fancy. However, it has made me a lot more consistent and a lot less prone to errors because I can sense the car better and so i don't push as much when it's needed. That kind of detail was not possible with my T300, as good as it might be, especially in low speed, high load corners it was a bit too vague and often you could spin out and wonder where that came from.

Roll on ACC, i can't wait to try it!

morpwr69 likes this.
  5. hristo1026

hristo1026 Racer

6. Andrew_WOT

Andrew_WOT Alien

It's not about pure torque and you know that, why keep posting these silly comments.
    And GT cars do have light steering, there was a video of GT driver using OSW wheel and he commented on that as well as the ability to adjust gain in real car based on driver preference.

morpwr69 likes this.
  7. Andrew_WOT

Andrew_WOT Alien

Bingo.

LChaves, Dean Ogurek and MsportDAN like this.
  8. MsportDAN

MsportDAN Alien

talking of DD wheels wonder if thet feels VR wheel will ever be a thing?

9. bigbawmcgraw

bigbawmcgraw Alien

They're supposedly organising a tour showboating their product. No idea when or where it starts. I'm still unsure if it's a con or not but hopefully one of the Youtubers will get their hands on one to test in the near future.

10. Ace Pumpkin

Ace Pumpkin Alien

500€ excluding wheel rim.
    Not a bad price me thinks. But is it good?

hristo1026 likes this.
  11. hristo1026

hristo1026 Racer

We will find out this when it's released in April.

12. Andrew_WOT

Andrew_WOT Alien

7Nm, I'd pass.

Ace Pumpkin likes this.
  13. Johnnypenso

Johnnypenso Simracer

Andrew_WOT likes this.
  14. F430_458_F12

F430_458_F12 Alien

Haha, "muh powah!"

As far as steering strength, let's all get on the same page by acknowledging something:

Obviously, the way GT3 steering behaves/reacts to suspension and tyre forces is different from any road car.

I saw the Acura post a while back, didn't comment, but I wondered to myself: "sure, you might use the same steering geometry and whatnot...but the GT3 suspension is different, GT3 tyres are different, GT3 bodies are stiffer, etc..." My point is: just because you keep the same basic geometry (which to me speaks only to the relationship between road and race car in GT racing) doesn't mean the steering won't be more reactive.

Comparing even one video apiece of road cars at the Nordschleife vs. GT3 cars proves that the steering takes much more effort to turn, is more reactive to road detail relayed through the suspension, etc. In many ways, I find the driver using the OSW wheel who said "the wheel shouldn't drive itself" is a little mistaken, since many of the road and kerb details of modern circuits most definitely will influence the steering wheel to behave other than the driver wants it to!

A good example of this is Race-media.tv's recent onboards of the 2018 Hankook 24H of Dubai. Both the Audi R8 LMS and Mercedes AMG onboards show the drivers struggling to control the car many times due to a number of factors:

1. A less than ideal circuit surface with low grip off-line
    2. Stiffer suspension and softer tyre pressures
    3. Traffic forcing them to drive in places less suited to their driving line
    4. Varieties of kerbs and other surfaces delivering high suspension travel, influencing the wheel's self-turning

To me, there is no way the GT3 cars could have steering with less torque than a road car. Just watching how the wheel oscillates in their hands over various kerbs and bumps, the gain of such forces makes their wheels move far more than any bumps or kerbs in AC (using a DFGT for example). Such details only begin to appear with the stronger wheels like the Clubsport, DirectDrive, etc.

Perhaps the issue with all of this is the word "strength." It implies difficulty in turning, i.e., high torque and torque dampening. However, I am using this word more in the sense of effects gain. In other words...the stronger wheels have a greater % difference between road and kerb forces, resulting in the kinds of peak forces clearly oscillating the real life steering wheels.

Johnnypenso likes this.
  15. Gotta love simracers; they know more about how a racecar works and feels than an actual driver because they watch Youtube vids. LOL

16. unknwn

unknwn Alien

I think you missed what he meant by "driving itself" which pretty much means that wheel is too heavy and you feel like fighting it, instead of having control over it. That doesn't mean you don't receive road/kerb details. Simple example, drive straight with no load lateral over kerb, the wheel will rattle and shake slightly left/right (plenty of details in either AC, RF2 or PCARS2), but the wheel center will be relatively light due to low lateral load, if you increase FFB gain too much you will get that initial heavy center feel even when driving straight and with no to very low load on the car.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2018
    morpwr69 likes this.
  17. F430_458_F12

F430_458_F12 Alien

No, lol, I don't think I did...a heavily damped wheel doesn't drive itself...it can't even turn without input. It's a universally-acknowledged fact that a dampened motor needs input due to the higher difficulty in turn...by contrast, a lightly-dampened wheel often oscillates and wants to "follow" the road...the stronger the torque gain, the harder it is to direct the tyres.

18. Ace Pumpkin

Ace Pumpkin Alien

Last edited: Feb 24, 2018
  19. snyperal

snyperal Simracer

Aren't r3 also transitioning to the unreal engine?

20. Guido Trampe

Guido Trampe Simracer

Did you read that guys? Anyone seen what the lord was telling you there?

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk