1. Do you need support for Assetto Corsa Competizione? Please use the proper forum below and ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Logs" folder in your c:\users\*youruser*\AppData\Local\AC2\Saved. The "AppData" folder is hidden by default, check "Hidden items" in your Windows view properties. If you report a crash, ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Crashes" folder in the same directory. Do not post "I have the same issue" in an existing thread with a game crash, always open your own thread. Do not PM developers and staff members for personal troubleshooting and support.
  2. As part of our continuous maintenance and improvements to Assetto Corsa Competizione we will be releasing small updates on a regular basis during the esports season which might not go through the usual announcement process detailing the changes until a later version update where these changes will be listed retrospectively.
  3. If ACC doesn't start with an error or the executable is missing, please add your entire Steam directory to the exceptions in your antivirus software, run a Steam integrity check or reinstall the game altogether. Make sure you add the User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione folder to your antivirus/Defender exceptions and exclude it from any file sharing app (GDrive, OneDrive or Dropbox)! The Corsair iCue software is also known to conflict with Input Device initialization, if the game does not start up and you have such devices, please try disabling the iCue software and try again. [file:unknown] [line: 95] secure crt: invalid error is a sign of antivirus interference, while [Pak chunk signing mismatch on chunk] indicates a corrupted installation that requires game file verification.
  4. When reporting an issue with saved games, please always zip and attach your entire User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione/Savegame folder, along with the logs and the crash folder (when reporting related to a crash).

Plantronics RIG 500 HD users

Discussion in 'Chit Chat Room' started by Solmyr, Nov 15, 2017.

1. Solmyr

Solmyr Racer

Hey all,

I had to buy a new headset in replacement of my Plantronics Gamecom 777, which was quite nice but came to an end. :(
    Then I bought a new Plantronics RIG 500 HD, which looks better in several aspects imo (ergonomy, versatility, spatialisation, weight). I only have one problem : it looks a bit too low in max volume in AC imo.

I'm far from being a sound engineer, but I tried to just go in Windows equalizer and rise by 50% all frequencies. It worked as expected in terms of rising the max volume, but came with horrible crackles (saturation I guess ?) so I eventually set all back to (normal + 1 step). It seems to be ok now and the sound is a bit louder but it's not a very good solution I guess.

So : Does anyone else also think the max volume is a bit low with this headset in AC and what is the best fix in your opinion ?
    Also do you guys think I could prematurely damage my RIG keeping my setting the way it is ?

Thanks in advance for your inputs.

2. Similar Threads
    Forum Title Date
    ACC Screenshots & Videos ACC on PC with Controller | Race Element /ps5 controller activate triggers Feb 28, 2024
    ACC User Interface CTRL+Left/right for HUD moving stopped working Dec 10, 2023
    Chit Chat Room Getting brake data to look right in Track Attack Dec 4, 2023
    ACC PS4/PS5/XB1/XBX/S General Discussions Breve domanda riguardo visuale ps4 Oct 10, 2023
    ACC Controls & Peripherals Fanatec Advanced Paddle Module - Look Left/Right May 14, 2023
    ACC Troubleshooting Right after 1.9.1 update game doesn't run. It gives an error. [Verify Steam integrity] Apr 25, 2023
    General modding discussion Rigged .fbx model gets deformed in ksEditor (Blender) Jan 19, 2023
    ACC PS4/PS5/XB1/XBX/S General Discussions Look left and right Oct 8, 2022
    Bug reports Inside car super bright dashboard is eye killing Oct 4, 2022
    ACC PS4/PS5/XB1/XBX/S General Discussions wheel buttons locked to look left and right, and no option to save car setups. Sep 30, 2022
    ACC Controls & Peripherals Looking left and right Jun 17, 2022
    Console Lounge Any chance of UDP on PS4/PS5? It was on AC original May 18, 2022
    Chit Chat Room Unable To Find The Original Storage Location Mar 1, 2022
    ACC Physics Audi R8 LMS Engine Maps not working right? Feb 24, 2022
    ACC PS4/PS5/XB1/XBX/S General Discussions Bright side look on new update XSX Feb 23, 2022

3. TDS

TDS Alien

hummm it seems to be a low Ohms not power hungry HP, and its odd that the volume is low, normally power hungry headphones are 300-600 Ohms and are better driven by 200mW to 1W depending on the headphone, those can require a beefy amp to really shine.

BUT Your hp is 32 Ohms and recommended to be driven by max 40mW. And should be sensitive/ efficient enough for a pc sound card jack with its 110 dBSpl/V sensitivity specification.

.. so it should in theory be "loud" enough anywhere you plug it, even a cellphone jack, whats the impedance of your soundcard headphone jack output? the source HP jack Ohms could be the problem of the incompatibility of your soundcard/headphone.

The distortion much probly is because of speakers quality/construction. And yes bad distortion transients "extensively" running trough the speakers will shorten the speakers life and can cause premature fail.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2017
    Solmyr likes this.
  4. TDS

TDS Alien

ideally you want the headphone jack impedance at or lower than 1/8 the headphone impedance to get proper compatibility.

so for a 32 Ohms headphone a max of 4 Ohms source is the recommended.

a 32 ohms HP on a 32 Ohms source (soundcard headphone output jack), will get you much lower output than what the HP is capable of.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2017
    Solmyr likes this.
  5. Solmyr

Solmyr Racer

First, thank you very much for taking the time, trying to shed some lights on my problem. I have to admit I hate electricity and the likes, I don't understand anything to that erhm.. magic, you know.. :eek: :D
    I don't have any dedicated sound card (was hesitating to buy one), so it's an embedded one in my motherboard, which is : Asus STRIX Z270F GAMING.

The headset is the PC version, so it's only USB connected, as the jack connectors are about 20cm from the ears, then comes the remote (which controls surround activation) with its 2m cable ending in a USB connector, so it's not possible to plug the headset in a jack.

6. Solmyr

Solmyr Racer

I tried to plug it to motherboard USB ports, not the front panel ones : the sound seems to be a bit richer, maybe it's placebo (I fail to see any potential relevant explanation), but still the sound is not louder.
    Also, from times to times, it looks like I can hear some little crackles, when I'm setting the volume, when I plug/unplug, this kind of circumstances... That's quite worrying me as, in my experience, my past headsets were near the end when they started to behave like that. I'm asking myself if I'd not better to ask for a replacement.
    In the mean time, maybe the price does it all : 60 euros, I can't recall exactly but I think I had bought my previous Plantronics about 100-120 euros.
    It's sad, because the headset is very nice itself. :confused:

7. TDS

TDS Alien

Try usb 3.0 and 2.0 ports for the sake of it, if problems still happens
    i think a replacement is in order tho because the internal sound card of the headphone isnt playing well with your pc it seems, looks like a faulty unity, or just incompatible or maybe the headphone just has ****ty internals (amp/audio converters)

8. TDS

TDS Alien

also test it with your cellphone via the jack plug see if theres any difference compared to usb.

9. Solmyr

Solmyr Racer

The thing is that it looks to be loud enough for music (even if not very loud) so it depends on the source too. Just in AC it's a bit too low at max volume... Maybe in some other games, I'm gonna tryiing it in Il-2 Sturmovik.
    About the little crackles, may I be guilty there : I hadn't dared to plug the jacks completely, feeling it was resistant. o_O

10. Solmyr

Solmyr Racer

So : In Il-2 Sturmovik, the sound is loud enough, I lowered it at 60% in my test and it was still good. Odd that in AC @100% sound is that less loud. (Of course I checked my settings and yes, general sound volume is set at 100%)

11. chksix

chksix Hardcore Simmer

My Plantronics are loud. I haven't compared them with my old Pioneer DJ headphones though...

12. Rudski

Rudski Alien

Solmyr this isn't the 90's anymore. Built in on-board sound cards these days are pretty powerful that's why apart from Sound Blaster and a few other exceptions there isn't much competition anymore, most people are happy with the on-board often Realtek (great tech) sound cards.

If you are getting crackling at 100% volume then I would return the headset and get another set it sounds like you simply have a defective set.

The THD is the only important factor here, if you don't know what THD is, read up on it and next time make a purchase based on that one specification alone. Surprisingly the website for that headset doesn't mention it which might be a problem.....

THD people, nothing else! :p

13. Solmyr

Solmyr Racer

Which one plz ?

14. chksix

chksix Hardcore Simmer

Solmyr likes this.
  15. Solmyr

Solmyr Racer

16. chksix

chksix Hardcore Simmer

The shop didn't have a demo of the different headphones so I chose the most versatile model. Closed cans are included but I use the open ones as they are loud enough.
    I'll have to test them against the DJ phones connected to the audio jack. The 500's use USB to make the 7.1 sound effect (which works really well).