1. Do you need support for Assetto Corsa Competizione? Please use the proper forum below and ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Logs" folder in your c:\users\*youruser*\AppData\Local\AC2\Saved. The "AppData" folder is hidden by default, check "Hidden items" in your Windows view properties. If you report a crash, ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Crashes" folder in the same directory. Do not post "I have the same issue" in an existing thread with a game crash, always open your own thread. Do not PM developers and staff members for personal troubleshooting and support.
  2. As part of our continuous maintenance and improvements to Assetto Corsa Competizione we will be releasing small updates on a regular basis during the esports season which might not go through the usual announcement process detailing the changes until a later version update where these changes will be listed retrospectively.
  3. If ACC doesn't start with an error or the executable is missing, please add your entire Steam directory to the exceptions in your antivirus software, run a Steam integrity check or reinstall the game altogether. Make sure you add the User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione folder to your antivirus/Defender exceptions and exclude it from any file sharing app (GDrive, OneDrive or Dropbox)! The Corsair iCue software is also known to conflict with Input Device initialization, if the game does not start up and you have such devices, please try disabling the iCue software and try again. [file:unknown] [line: 95] secure crt: invalid error is a sign of antivirus interference, while [Pak chunk signing mismatch on chunk] indicates a corrupted installation that requires game file verification.
  4. When reporting an issue with saved games, please always zip and attach your entire User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione/Savegame folder, along with the logs and the crash folder (when reporting related to a crash).

Playing on my keyboard...

Discussion in 'Chit Chat Room' started by Wazzup!, Jul 28, 2014.

1. Wazzup!

Wazzup! Rookie

...how much am i losing in terms of possible lap times, versus playing with wheel and pedals, in percentage?

2. Similar Threads
    Forum Title Date
    ACC Troubleshooting ACC CRASH During playing SOLO Oct 12, 2023
    Troubleshooting - Workarounds CPU usage at 99% when playing Assetto Corsa Dec 30, 2022
    ACC Troubleshooting ACC keeps crashing after playing for some time (45+) min May 10, 2022
    PlayStation 4 Discussions New to assetto corsa. Playing on PS4 Mar 12, 2022
    ACC PS4/PS5/XB1/XBX/S General Discussions Is it possible to revert the update and keep playing in old gen? Feb 23, 2022
    Troubleshooting - Workarounds Game crashes when playing Jan 6, 2022
    ACC Controls & Peripherals 1.8 has completely ruined playing with a gamepad Nov 25, 2021
    Chit Chat Room Am I missing something? (Playing on controller) Nov 24, 2021
    ACC Audio Pitstop sound playing in replays Jul 16, 2021
    ACC Troubleshooting Game crashes suddenly, playing or not - UE4 crash Jul 11, 2021
    ACC General Discussions Please watch this before playing online! Jul 11, 2021
    ACC General Discussions Playing with controller Apr 27, 2021
    ACC PS4/PS5/XB1/XBX/S General Discussions FFB gets weaker while playing Apr 2, 2021
    ACC Troubleshooting System Lockups when playing ACC Jan 9, 2021
    ACC Virtual Reality Oculus Quest 2 - Bugs the view into 2D after some time playing Dec 29, 2020

3. MWallis

MWallis Rookie

im guessing a good amount

4. jd197

jd197 Gamer

Dunno about laptimes but you are losing a hell of a percentage of realism. Honestly if you can get a wheel it is so worth it.

Deleted member 18758 likes this.
  5. TCLF

TCLF Alien

depends how good you are adapted to your keyboard. One loses 10 seconds per lap, some other loses 20. You are losing a lot of time though

6. Blame

Blame Alien

Considering that turning with buttons is pretty ridiculous, you'll end up losing like 10 seconds a lap, since keyboard isn't really the best in AC, if you're using a mouse to steer, you can definetly pull out the same lap times as people with a wheel+pedals.
    I can definetly keep up with the faster people, some of the fastest I'm usually half a second to second and a half slower, cornering speeds are a bit different because you can't be on the throttle constantly with a keyboard(same with braking), but its doable.

7. TCLF

TCLF Alien

indeed, with mouse it's definitely not a disadvantage anymore to wheel users.

8. alex72

alex72 Alien

If lap times is all that you care about then i guess there are people out there who go super fast with keyb/gamepad/mouse+keyb. For me its about immersion and fun. The FFB feeling in this sim is amazing, even on a DFGT. But % is of course hard to determine since it comes down to how good each indivdual is.

9. Wazzup!

Wazzup! Rookie

well thank you all for the quick answers! i guess ill be saving up for a wheel, while i decide which one to get. Racing with a mouse seems like something i would never consider to do lol.

10. gnr_tb

gnr_tb Racer

How can you drive the 98t/exos without traction control with a mouse ? You can't control the accelerator position accurately.

11. Blame

Blame Alien

who said you have to drive without traction control? just because someone is using traction control doesn't make them a bad driver.

At first when I used a mouse instead of keys to turn, I thought too, well this is stinky, I don't think this is gonna work and its weird, it took me a few hours to get a hang of in GTR2 and now with AC physics, I've almost mastered using the mouse, most of the times I can keep the laptimes pretty much the same between 0,1-0,7 seconds and they're not slow either, just spent like 2 hours driving at Imola with atleast 20 other people and spent the entire time in top 2.

12. Guidofoc

Guidofoc Alien

IMHO, mouse is the best thing if you don't have a wheel. Yes, no control over throttle and brake, but very detailed control over steering. Still.. get a wheel!

13. jd197

jd197 Gamer

Get a good secondhand Logitech G25, best bang for buck at the moment, fantastic wheel.

Suke likes this.
  14. adi518

adi518 Hardcore Simmer

Don't even bother...

15. Why would someone even try to play it with keyboards anyway? Its not Accolade's 1985 Test Drive game, though I suppose that back then it was already possible to play with a joystick.

16. Blame

Blame Alien

Not everyone can afford a steering wheel that would actually work properly and last for years. So if you decide to talk trash about people using keyboard, why are you still losing to them? :eek:

17. adi518

adi518 Hardcore Simmer

Steering wheel is expensive, but a gamepad? that's like 50$ expense.

18. KillZoneGB

KillZoneGB Simracer

Steering wheel`s expensive?

I think they are still cheap considering the price of decent hardware, and when I say decent I don't mean lavish like Nvidia`s O/P Titans

but of course I see your point, you got to take into account of disposable income and what not.

My first wheel was around £25, no force feedback, 180 dor,

Later on I upgraded and got a DFGT for £80 from argos a few years back, now I think there £130ish.
    even if its £130, that`s like 5 games @ £26 a pop.

Just means some people will have to be more selective in what they buy,
    and not go down the route of shiny new shiny gotta have it day 1.

It`s ok for people to use whatever they like, I doubt AC or any "driving sim" is there cup of tea,
    because you're not simulating a driving experience.

Maybe games like Grid/burnout/need for speed are for the casual`s users using xbox controllers / keyboards.

Anyhoo wazzup, you will be loosing a lot of time not to mention the feel of the game.

Maybe magicfr, could write you a bit of code for GlovePie/FreePie/PPjoy to use the mouse as a controller.
    should be better in terms of digital Vs Analog input.

19. Akis Kev

Akis Kev Alien

This happened to LFS and some other sims where you can find world records done with keyboard+mouse.
    I haven't seen a top laptime in rsr done with a keyboard or a gamepad yet.

I agree that the minimum equipment for an immersive enough experience includes a nice wheel with ffb, pedals and a shifter. :)

20. mms

mms Alien

21. Blame

Blame Alien

I won't be getting a Logitech or any Fanatec wheels until I get a new PC and to be honest, I'm completely fine with playing on keyboard and using a mouse to steer, the only downside I have is the FPS.