1. Do you need support for Assetto Corsa Competizione? Please use the proper forum below and ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Logs" folder in your c:\users\*youruser*\AppData\Local\AC2\Saved. The "AppData" folder is hidden by default, check "Hidden items" in your Windows view properties. If you report a crash, ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Crashes" folder in the same directory. Do not post "I have the same issue" in an existing thread with a game crash, always open your own thread. Do not PM developers and staff members for personal troubleshooting and support.
  2. As part of our continuous maintenance and improvements to Assetto Corsa Competizione we will be releasing small updates on a regular basis during the esports season which might not go through the usual announcement process detailing the changes until a later version update where these changes will be listed retrospectively.
  3. If ACC doesn't start with an error or the executable is missing, please add your entire Steam directory to the exceptions in your antivirus software, run a Steam integrity check or reinstall the game altogether. Make sure you add the User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione folder to your antivirus/Defender exceptions and exclude it from any file sharing app (GDrive, OneDrive or Dropbox)! The Corsair iCue software is also known to conflict with Input Device initialization, if the game does not start up and you have such devices, please try disabling the iCue software and try again. [file:unknown] [line: 95] secure crt: invalid error is a sign of antivirus interference, while [Pak chunk signing mismatch on chunk] indicates a corrupted installation that requires game file verification.
  4. When reporting an issue with saved games, please always zip and attach your entire User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione/Savegame folder, along with the logs and the crash folder (when reporting related to a crash).

Poor Performance - mismatch monitor and indicated FPS? GTX 1070Ti

Discussion in 'ACC Hardware Discussions' started by pjv, Nov 4, 2020.

1. pjv

pjv Gamer

Hi, just purchased ACC and a GTX1070Ti. It runs like dog**** no matter what i try. Reset Nvidia settings to default, enabled/disabled Vertical sync, Max Frames on/off, and tried various in game 3D settings as per forums etc., set to Max Power, Max Performance, changed to 'Adaptive' even, all it changes is what flavour of crap it runs at, both in performance and how it looks on screen.

My PC specs are quite similar to this guy:

But my game looks nothing like his, and i'm even running at only 1080p 60Hz native.

Main issue: even though my Steam overlay says i am getting 60 (or more when disabled max frame to test) FPS, the image looks terrible, i either get screen tearing or a very jumpy picture that makes it look like the game is running at 20 fps instead of 60-90 as indicated, it doesn't make any sense to me.
    I use a 40" TV through HDMI, not the best, but never had this issue with both iRacing nor Arma3, they both run fine and look ok, even considering it's not a proper pc monitor.

Second Issue: the HDR option is disabled, presumably since i dont have an HDR monitor. But the colours and lighting in ACC are really flat and ugly, the game looks really sad and like it's on a 2001 PS3. What gives? why can't i get better colour and effects some other way? Any ideas please?

I bought it on sale and was really hoping to find an iRacing alternative, but as it stands it's a total no go and major disappointment, esp considering the investment on a new card + psu just for this game.

As i said, i tried all the settings and configurations i could find, from Nvidia control panel to all the in game graphics from Low to Epic and mix and match Custom settings.

Would Windows 10 change anything? I run Windows 7, basically only thing not matching the 'recommended settings' as well as 8Gb RAM but it never goes over as far as i've seen.

Anyone have any ideas where the bottleneck/issue could be, or why my picture and game smoothness is so bad please? The game is unplayable.

2. Similar Threads
    Forum Title Date
    Troubleshooting - Workarounds Sudden poor performance Jul 17, 2020
    ACC PS4/PS5/XB1/XBX/S General Discussions Very poor performance Jun 23, 2020
    ACC Troubleshooting Frame drops, stutter and generally very poor video performance Dec 29, 2019
    ACC Graphics - Tracks and Cars Nurburgring - very poor performance - other tracks fine Jun 4, 2019
    ACC Troubleshooting VR WMR Headset poor performance Oct 14, 2018
    ACC Troubleshooting Poor performance in Quick race Sep 13, 2018
    Graphics and Models/Tracks Bugs & Issues Laguna Seca extremely poor performance Apr 16, 2018
    Troubleshooting - Workarounds Poor Performance Aug 22, 2016
    Troubleshooting - Workarounds Poor performance in quick race with oculus dk2 Mar 11, 2015
    Graphics and Models/Tracks Bugs & Issues Sli poor performance since v1.1 Mar 11, 2015
    ACC PS4/PS5/XB1/XBX/S General Discussions It's my impression or huracan is poor in tyre pressure on wet? Apr 20, 2022
    Controllers and Peripherals Bugs & Issues poor acceleration Feb 2, 2021
    ACC Graphics - Tracks and Cars Volumetric fog above "low" looks poor at dusk/dawn Nov 19, 2020
    ACC Physics I'm improving race setup, BUT drives poor with 10 ltrs? Nov 3, 2020
    ACC Graphics - Tracks and Cars Poor visuals with taking screenshot with F8 shortcut Jun 5, 2019

3. Thomas Fun

Thomas Fun Simracer

The video you used is early access version 0.1, from 2 years ago.

Frist thing to try, disable the steam overlays, they can cause stutters.
    Instead you can show the fps ingame if you edit the file "Documents\Assetto Corsa Competizione\Config\hud.json" and change one line to:
    Code:
        "fPSVisible": 1, 
    If you use fixed fps to 60 without vsync, this naturally results in constant screen tearing, that would be the worst setting to do in any game, so disable the fpslimiter for now. Make sure to run the game in fullscreeen.

With your setup (4790K + 1070Ti) this is perfectly playable, so something is wrong.

So try this and maybe attach some screenshots of your settings used and the performance you get.

LATE4APEX likes this.
  4. pjv

pjv Gamer

Hi,
    thx for reply.
    some screenshots 4 u coming..

Tested Single Player w 9 AI

-re fps overlay it's 2 numbers in top corner, really??? fine, will try that too
    -as stated i tried both vsync on and off, fps limit on/off all combinations. see pics, it was vsync on last time w 60 limit in this test
    -the screen shots do not show how jagged and broken up the game is, but should indicate the flat colours/poor lighting at least.
    -CPU is running way hot, i just noticed, will need to address that ASAP, but it's not maxed % or bottlenecking is it?

20201104154046_1.jpg
    20201104154052_1.jpg 20201104153327_1.jpg 20201104153333_1.jpg 20201104153338_1.jpg

5. Man your cpu is overheating, and most probably heavy throttling.
    And do you have hyperthread enabled, there should be 8 logical cores on 4790k.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2020
    Nox likes this.
  6. Thomas Fun

Thomas Fun Simracer

The CPU reached its thermal limit and is clocking up and down, you can see it in your screenshots. 3492, 2594, 4598

Remove the frame rate limit if you enable vsync
    Set materials quality to high instead of epic
    Don't run resolution scale >100% if you try to investigate performance problems

And additionally, check what georgi said about hyperthreading

And regarding the colors, you changed the color tone mapping away from its default, ACES.
    tonemapping.png

Is there anything you didn't change?
    You changed the gain, contrast, white balance.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2020
    AndyK70 likes this.
  7. pjv

pjv Gamer

ok, thanks for all your inputs, much appreciated.

Re: specific settings in screenshots, as explained, this was just that latest of many settings i tried, but the underlying problem still persists, that of a perceived FPS output not matching what i am seeing while i play, which looks more like 20-30 fps performance and with low quality compressed graphics.

As for CPU temps, it's a first for me. I regularly play Arma 3, one of the most intense CPU games out there, and never encountered these high temps or performance issues not matching my hardware's potential, so something is def not vibing with my setup, more than with any specific settings, is what I'm trying to get at...

8. Thomas Fun

Thomas Fun Simracer

Okay, try to fix the thermal issue first and then maybe start fresh with default settings at high quality. Most likely you will have a totally different experience then :)

9. pjv

pjv Gamer

Ok, the only thing that changed so far is now i cant take screenshots with F12 for some reason. WTF. F^^^ this game!

Even in single player practice w no AI, my CPU is cooking at 100 degrees while my GPU idles, wtf is going on????

iRacing supersampled @1440, max settings, 40 cars, perfectly smooth 60 FPS and looking great while on better than 'recommended settings' ACC nearly fries my CPU while looking and running like garbage. Not impressed at all

10. Bad cpu cooling (or bad core voltages) is not ACC fail. And yes ACC is heavy for the hardware and looks better than the ancient titles.
    Have you ever tested your machine for stability and temperatures when you overclocked?

11. Thomas Fun

Thomas Fun Simracer

Check your cooler, it has nothing to do with the game.

12. pjv

pjv Gamer

Guys, i regularly play Arma 3, one of the most intense CPU games, never had any overheating issues at all.
    I just logged into iRacing now, runs perfectly smooth, supersampled @1440p on max settings w no overheating, steady at 60-70c. Never had this issue before this wretched fame, which i thought was GPU based since it's a new game? I just today cleaned and reapplied new layer (thinnest possible as recommended) of paste on the cooler, it was clean and looked fine before anyway, no dust, but just in case did it anyway... no change at all.

13. pjv

pjv Gamer

And yes i tested the OC, it's just a basic stock standard one from a preset set by the Motherboard nothing crazy that i experimented myself. As i said, never caused an issue before in 2+ years of gaming in Arma3 on this CPU

14. Dewald Nel

Dewald Nel Hardcore Simmer

No game can fry your CPU if your cooling is fine, which it clearly isn't. Fix the cooling first and then continue your rage once that is done.

It is also quite an outdated cooler, and the game is very CPU-dependent, so it will run badly even when thermal throttling isn't an issue any more.

chksix and LATE4APEX like this.
  15. Thomas Fun

Thomas Fun Simracer

You can also run any CPU stress test like Prime95 or benchmark like Cinebench and monitor the temperatures while doing so. Results will be the same, 99°C and the CPU thermal throttling.

AndyK70 and Dewald Nel like this.
  16. pjv

pjv Gamer

yeah did all that originally when i did the OC.. not sure whats gone wrong since.. will go thru bios and maybe look at h2o cooling.. got any cheap effective option happy to hear yr advice ;

17. Cirith Ungol

Cirith Ungol Simracer

I have this cooler (https://www.bequiet.com/en/cpucooler/1841) bought 35€ from amazon for my Ryzen 5 3600, can't hear it and my CPU never goes higher than 70°C ( I prefer low noise, I didn't put an aggressive fan curve).

It also depends how well the airflow is in your case, I imagine a 1070ti blowing heat into a small cpu cooler won't make him happy. :D

18. moeppling

moeppling Gamer

There's really no need to watercool that quadcore. Replace your paste and check if the cooler has decent pressure on the cpu. Any 15$ towercooler with a 120mm Fan should be able to cool a decently overclocked (1.35-1.4V) devils canyon without an issue... provided there's actual airflow in your case.

19. chksix

chksix Hardcore Simmer

Noctua NH15 can't be recommended enough :)

20. pjv

pjv Gamer

Ok, thanks everyone for the advice.

So i found some BIOS setting i should have already had set up for maximum fan output and redid the cooler with extra paste this time.. voila, idles at 30-35c and runs at 60-75c max in game with the case open, just gotta improve ventilation to match that now... glad i didnt have to shell out on a water cooler though.

Note to anyone else complaining about a hot CPU, yes this game is taxing and will test your cooling more than others will, so check ur temps relative to the CPU usage %, if it's much higher x/100 value, then you have a cooling problem like i did ;

So, the game plays much better now finally.

Also a tip for readers. I messed with adding "Lock to Horizon" % to reduce all the graphics' work of bumping up and down the constantly shifting landscape, it def helped performance and made focusing on the track easier on the eyes, though at Bathurst and any track w elevation changes it can become and issue ;

Now i'm just left with the dull lighting and flat colours due to the no HDR option as i dont have an HDR monitor... i might give Reshade a try... any other tips i'm all ears..

Cheers.

21. Thomas Fun

Thomas Fun Simracer

Change that back and it should be better.

AndyK70 likes this.