1. Do you need support for Assetto Corsa Competizione? Please use the proper forum below and ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Logs" folder in your c:\users\*youruser*\AppData\Local\AC2\Saved. The "AppData" folder is hidden by default, check "Hidden items" in your Windows view properties. If you report a crash, ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Crashes" folder in the same directory. Do not post "I have the same issue" in an existing thread with a game crash, always open your own thread. Do not PM developers and staff members for personal troubleshooting and support.
  2. As part of our continuous maintenance and improvements to Assetto Corsa Competizione we will be releasing small updates on a regular basis during the esports season which might not go through the usual announcement process detailing the changes until a later version update where these changes will be listed retrospectively.
  3. If ACC doesn't start with an error or the executable is missing, please add your entire Steam directory to the exceptions in your antivirus software, run a Steam integrity check or reinstall the game altogether. Make sure you add the User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione folder to your antivirus/Defender exceptions and exclude it from any file sharing app (GDrive, OneDrive or Dropbox)! The Corsair iCue software is also known to conflict with Input Device initialization, if the game does not start up and you have such devices, please try disabling the iCue software and try again. [file:unknown] [line: 95] secure crt: invalid error is a sign of antivirus interference, while [Pak chunk signing mismatch on chunk] indicates a corrupted installation that requires game file verification.
  4. When reporting an issue with saved games, please always zip and attach your entire User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione/Savegame folder, along with the logs and the crash folder (when reporting related to a crash).

Porsche 718 Cayman S with PDK?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat Room' started by Death_Eagle_571, Nov 24, 2016.

1. Hey Guys, I'm loving the Porsche Packs 1 and 2, and I was a bit surprised to see the Boxster get both a Manual and PDK version, and not the Cayman.. While the 6-Speed manual is brilliant, I think this car would be perfect with the PDK as well. And ideas if this might be a possibility?

Epistolarius likes this.

2. Similar Threads
    Forum Title Date
    ACC Physics Porsche 718 Over-revving with downshifts Jul 16, 2021
    Chit Chat Room Need help on the Porsche 718 Boxster S w/ PDK May 1, 2018
    Chit Chat Room Porsche 718 Stability Apr 25, 2018
    Physics Bugs & Issues Porsche 718 RS 60 Spyder front suspension Apr 24, 2018
    Troubleshooting - Workarounds Porsche 718 RS60 crashing Aug 31, 2017
    Chit Chat Room Possible to setup Porsche Cayman S (718) with PDK? Jan 14, 2017
    Screens & Videos Pretty realistic eng and exaust sound on Porsche 718 boxster S Dec 24, 2016
    Chit Chat Room Porsche 718 spyder why roof? Dec 6, 2016
    Physics Bugs & Issues TOTALMASS of Porsche 718 RS 60 Spyder is wrong Nov 29, 2016
    Graphics and Models/Tracks Bugs & Issues Porsche 718 RS60 Spyder No headlight indicator. Nov 24, 2016
    Graphics and Models/Tracks Bugs & Issues Porsche 718 Spyder RS60 Ignition Key Nov 23, 2016
    ACC Gameplay Porsche 935 in GT2 Europe category Apr 8, 2024
    Troubleshooting - Workarounds Shifting Motion telemetry for Porsche GT1 is WAY too strong. Dec 23, 2023
    ACC General Discussions Porsche 992 GT3 R Horizontal LED dashboard Oct 16, 2023
    ACC Gameplay Do we have any better Porsche Cup liveries for single player mode Jul 10, 2023

3. Epistolarius

Epistolarius Alien

Yeah, not quite sure why this is. Offering both means more work for Kunos but they already did the work for the Boxster - probably because it was required for Porsche anyway but then they would probably do it for other models too. For the Cayman at least it should be easy to implement as it's the same platform as the Boxster.

It's good to have the choice either way.

4. Berry

Berry Alien

Imho the Boxster manual wasn't necessary, they are 99% the same car, so a PDK Cayman makes no sense if we have the Boxster PDK.

5. True, they do share a lot of parts. I personally own a 2006 CS with the 6-Speed, and its such an epic car to drive, I figure if they did want to add the PDK to the 718 CS it wouldn't take much work, for the sake of completeness. But then again I'm a Porscheholic :p

6. What is the difference in driving the boxter manual and PDK ? I drove the PDK with H-shifter I believe..

7. Berniyh

Berniyh Alien

I disagree. The Boxster with a manual is what I want to drive.

Cayman with or without PDK, I don't care, up to Kunos.

8. Berniyh

Berniyh Alien

Uuuuuh, what?

9. Well, that's also what I was thinking :) I tried too many I can't remember. Then I must have driven the manual instead :)

10. Hehe, the main advantage with the PDK is the shift speeds, with that being said, the Manual's gear ratios are spot on IMO. And while there is a certain Finesse to driving a Manual, which I personally love, there is something to be said about the engineering masterpiece that is the PDK hehe. I don't think one is better than the other per say, but more of a personal driving preference.

11. f1webberfan

f1webberfan Simracer

Well I did some races against the AI on Brands Hatch GP and I must say that the manual is faster around that track, IMO.
    First you have more control over 2nd to 3rd gear which is vital for some of the corners with the manual even if you go a bit on the red rev zone.
    Also on the Pilgrim's drop you get more top speed on 4th with the manual before blipping for 5th before the corner.

PDK is more leisure version for sure though. :)

Just my thoughts.

12. Berniyh

Berniyh Alien

That doesn't really make that much of a difference, at least not in the simulator. The gear ratios are more important and there the manual indeed has some advantages, at least on some tracks.

13. Epistolarius

Epistolarius Alien

My times of the three cars at Magione under same conditions and same stock setup (on semislicks, with toe adjusted close to zero) are as follows.
    1:24.808 - 718 Cayman S Manual
    1:25.034 - 718 Boxster S PDK
    1:25.297 - 718 Boxster S Manual

So I would say at least from my unscientific, completely unprofessional testing that there isn't that much in between them.

14. Berniyh

Berniyh Alien

Well, my times are on Nürburgring GP (GT Chicane):
    Boxster S Manual: 02:20.077 (99% grip level)
    Boxster S PDK: 02:20.337 (100% grip level)
    Cayman S Manual: 02:21.106 (100% grip level)

But for the Cayman, I didn't really push (that time is from 2 weeks ago, thus with v1.9.x, in case that makes a difference). I could do the same time as with the Boxster S Manual.
    I do however think that the Boxster is a bit faster due to the better balance and lower COG the car brings with it.
    From the deltas, I'm pretty sure that with 100% grip level I could get to 2:19.0 or at least close.

While I'm sure I could get below 2:20 with the PDK as well, I'm not quite sure if I could reach the same time as with the manual.
    I think the manual is faster, mainly due to the better gearbox ratio and because you can use the engine braking for better braking and brake balance.
    The difference won't be big, maybe 0.3 to 0.5 s, but still, I think it's there.

Maybe I'll give the Coxster a try tomorrow, but I like the Boxster much more, feels better balanced while still being alive. ;)

15. Bear in mind the Boxster likely has a fair bit more drag than the Cayman, and the weight distribution is different too. Quick test:
    Boxster -
    Drag ~0.8CD (~99KG @100mph)
    Weight distribution ~46.6% front

Cayman -
    Drag ~0.62CD (~77KG @100mph)
    Weight distribution ~46.6% front

Ok, so weight distribution seems pretty identiacal, but drag is quite different.

16. Epistolarius

Epistolarius Alien

@Berniyh Yes, I also think there's a slight difference in-game between PDK and manual but I don't think it's substantial and I especially don't think the manual is faster in terms of lap times on your average circuit, which is why I posted my times. I believe if I recall that correctly in real life the manual transmission allows for a higher top speed but that's about it and the PDK-equipped car will get to its top speed faster, even if the PDK car is slightly heavier and has potentially a greater power-loss (or so I heard).

The Cayman being slightly quicker than the Boxster with the top down seems reasonable and as it should be. Nice data garyjpaterson.

17. Berniyh

Berniyh Alien

Thanks. Yeah, I thought there might be a difference. It's hard to judge how much it means, though.

Looking at my lap in comparison to that of archii16, it looks like he does indeed hit higher top speeds with the Cayman:
    http://managerdc5.rackservice.org:50120/lapdetails?lapid=38273#

Still, my lap was faster, so I must have made up that difference in the corners or under braking.
    Maybe I should take another go in the Cayman for comparison.

@Epistolarius: No doubt that in a drag race the PDK would be faster.
    Also, I wouldn't drive the manual gearbox as hard IRL as I do in AC, because of the value of the car. So there, you would have an advantage with the PDK, pretty certain about that.
    In AC though, I don't think it makes too much of a difference and because of what I wrote above, I see actually a tendency towards the manual, at least at the Ring.
    Might be a bit different for other tracks (Zandvoort maybe), where a lower gear ratio could be helpful.