1. Do you need support for Assetto Corsa Competizione? Please use the proper forum below and ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Logs" folder in your c:\users\*youruser*\AppData\Local\AC2\Saved. The "AppData" folder is hidden by default, check "Hidden items" in your Windows view properties. If you report a crash, ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Crashes" folder in the same directory. Do not post "I have the same issue" in an existing thread with a game crash, always open your own thread. Do not PM developers and staff members for personal troubleshooting and support.
  2. As part of our continuous maintenance and improvements to Assetto Corsa Competizione we will be releasing small updates on a regular basis during the esports season which might not go through the usual announcement process detailing the changes until a later version update where these changes will be listed retrospectively.
  3. If ACC doesn't start with an error or the executable is missing, please add your entire Steam directory to the exceptions in your antivirus software, run a Steam integrity check or reinstall the game altogether. Make sure you add the User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione folder to your antivirus/Defender exceptions and exclude it from any file sharing app (GDrive, OneDrive or Dropbox)! The Corsair iCue software is also known to conflict with Input Device initialization, if the game does not start up and you have such devices, please try disabling the iCue software and try again. [file:unknown] [line: 95] secure crt: invalid error is a sign of antivirus interference, while [Pak chunk signing mismatch on chunk] indicates a corrupted installation that requires game file verification.
  4. When reporting an issue with saved games, please always zip and attach your entire User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione/Savegame folder, along with the logs and the crash folder (when reporting related to a crash).

Question for the devs concerning ffb differences

Discussion in 'Chit Chat Room' started by Psit, Sep 15, 2015.

1. JackCY

JackCY Racer

Please provide more documentation on the configuration files. If nothing else more comments for the parameters in the ini files.
    I'm saving the comments from here to it and to the rest I've written my own. There are some "magic" parameters that simply don't have a real counterpart and are hard to guess what they do and what the values they use do especially if there are special cases like 0 bypasses the equation instead of giving you maximum FF all the time since x^0 = 1 for x >= 0.

From a "I see it first time" point of view:
    Code:
    STEER_ASSIST=0                                ; Variable steer assist, speed relative
    I don't want any steering assist, aids or some such, 0 it is, hopefully disable and hope for the best. I don't want any assist messing with steering based on speed.
    That would be my guess from the name and comment provided.

All, said it before. Some suspension characteristics can make the steering wheel feel dead, such as low scrub and high trail.
    Look into the specific cars and compare their suspension and steering characteristics to see what it is that makes this car lack and other car have what you are looking for.

2. BrandonW77

BrandonW77 Alien

I know this is an old post, but I notice that most of the cars have very, very light steering during slow speeds on my setup and I'd prefer that to not be the case. Would altering this steer assist setting help add some feeling/weight to the steering in slow speed situations?

3. Psit

Psit Alien

Well well what do we have here.

It seems i was indeed right thinking something is totally different in some cars.
    Looking at the latest mods, Dallara 312 and the F2002, there is the steer assist option.
    When i choose 100, my wheel can finally be operated at more than 50% gain, and i actually get a huge range of forces , ranging from small forces to really REALLY high ones (without clipping cos 20nm), when the suspension is getting a good workout, like in Eau Rouge.
    When i choose 50 in steer assist, the forces get compressed again in a smaller range.

Can we have this option appear in all the cars please?

@Lord Kunos

4. nope. As I've said many times, steer assist is a PROPERTY of the car... it either has it or it does not have it. All our cars (except the Lotus 125 IIRC) do not have steer assist.
    On the Dallara mod, steer assist is a clear mistake by the modders.. totally wrong approach to simulation, the real car doesn't have it and that should be the end of the discussions... it's like turning a 4WD car into a RWD because "it feels better"... ya it might, but that is not what simulation is about.

5. When I saw "steer assist" I thought it was a helper that boosts the car's steering ratio at low speed to help in tight corners, lol... Confusing name :p

But what @Psit is talking about, isn't that the equivalent of "Linear Force" (On or Off) on iRacing ? With it On, you have a proper force build-up, low speed tends to be much lighter (FFB) than high speed and heavy compression zones. So the FFB range is more dynamic. With it OFF, it boosts the signal in the lower spectrum and lowers it at the top end, so low speed feels much stiffer, but without making the high end clip like crazy.

?

Nahkamarakatti likes this.
  6. Mogster

Mogster Alien

Isn't that similar to "minimum force" in AC?

7. Yes.

8. @Mogster No, Min Force is also on iRacing. It sends a minimum of forces to the wheel, so it might improve FFB response on some wheels. Some seem to have the initial forces unresponsive, so it helps with that. Not sure how to explain it better, but that's the gist of it. Guess you can google it. I have 13.6% on my G27, calculated with the Wheel Check software.

9. ouvert

ouvert Alien

I don`t think so .. isn`t "min force" basicaly the same thing as moving range of pedal travel (removing deadzone) eqivalent for FFB forces ?

William Levesque likes this.
  10. Basically, yes.

11. ouvert

ouvert Alien

Some tyre-surface friction variable that lowers with gaining speed to simulate it is what you want, right?

12. Psit

Psit Alien

Yes.

13. You are using steer assist in at least 22 cars (without counting last DLC).

Seria17hri11er and Daniel Perez like this.
  14. I don't quite get it. If you say the FFB in AC is pure forces coming through the suspension why you would want to use anything else than a completely linear gamma? Shouldn't the steer_assist be always set to 1 then..?

f1webberfan likes this.
  15. that's wrong then.. we'll have to fix it.

16. yes it should

17. Thanks for confirmation. It might be worth checking because some cars like Lotus 125 is oscillating with powerful wheels.

On high downforce cars that would be nice to have user-adjustable. It's not an issue for me personally but I think some people with less powerful wheels would be happy about it.

Thank you for giving modders ability to do it. Really appreciated.

f1webberfan and LeDude83 like this.
  18. F430_458_F12

F430_458_F12 Alien

Where is "steer_assist?"

19. quakeguy

quakeguy Hardcore Simmer

You mean in what file? It's in ...\data\car.ini. In the [controls] section.
    One example (from formula_k; no idea if this is still the same for the formula abarth):

F430_458_F12 likes this.
  20. Arch

Arch Alien

@Lord Kunos

Well, I would like to add, but the range of forces gets completely screwed in the Kunos cars that do use steer_assist, if it's 1.

The GT-R for example, or my R34 which has a very similar steering feel and geometry. They produce extremely low forces overall, and clip terribly at higher forces if the steer_assist is 1. The behavior of the forces dropping off or setting in is all wrong, according to actual drivers of said platforms.

The GT-R needs even 0.8 due to the downforce, but the R34 can survive with 0.95. Anything higher results in extremely screwy steering feel.

I fail to see why this is wrong. Steer_assist is not a function of the car in AC: it's simply a method of making the range of forces correct. Have you not yourself claimed that it is NOT power steering, but simply a method to essentially balance downforce with the geometry to produce an accurate range of forces? Reasoning being that high downforce or some mechanical aspects of the geometry produce very peaky or very weak forces at 1.