1. Do you need support for Assetto Corsa Competizione? Please use the proper forum below and ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Logs" folder in your c:\users\*youruser*\AppData\Local\AC2\Saved. The "AppData" folder is hidden by default, check "Hidden items" in your Windows view properties. If you report a crash, ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Crashes" folder in the same directory. Do not post "I have the same issue" in an existing thread with a game crash, always open your own thread. Do not PM developers and staff members for personal troubleshooting and support.
  2. As part of our continuous maintenance and improvements to Assetto Corsa Competizione we will be releasing small updates on a regular basis during the esports season which might not go through the usual announcement process detailing the changes until a later version update where these changes will be listed retrospectively.
  3. If ACC doesn't start with an error or the executable is missing, please add your entire Steam directory to the exceptions in your antivirus software, run a Steam integrity check or reinstall the game altogether. Make sure you add the User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione folder to your antivirus/Defender exceptions and exclude it from any file sharing app (GDrive, OneDrive or Dropbox)! The Corsair iCue software is also known to conflict with Input Device initialization, if the game does not start up and you have such devices, please try disabling the iCue software and try again. [file:unknown] [line: 95] secure crt: invalid error is a sign of antivirus interference, while [Pak chunk signing mismatch on chunk] indicates a corrupted installation that requires game file verification.
  4. When reporting an issue with saved games, please always zip and attach your entire User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione/Savegame folder, along with the logs and the crash folder (when reporting related to a crash).

Quick hardware question

Discussion in 'Chit Chat Room' started by bgil66, Aug 22, 2016.

1. bgil66

bgil66 Alien

If I place my games on a 1TB ext drive would it affect the game when wanting to play it since its connected via usb? Can you move the steam file? Just got the thing in the mail and going to move other files as well. Thanks

2. Similar Threads
    Forum Title Date
    Chit Chat Room Quick Race starting grid Sep 22, 2023
    ACC PS4/PS5/XB1/XBX/S General Discussions Thrustmaster quick change Nov 19, 2022
    ACC User Interface Quick race menu: starting pos. not applied in between series (while opp. number does) Jul 19, 2022
    ACC Gameplay Quick temperature question. Oct 9, 2021
    ACC Virtual Reality Quick Q about VR settings if switching back to pancake monitor... Aug 25, 2021
    ACC Hardware Discussions Quick change options between VR, Triple and desktop Mar 8, 2021
    ACC PS4/PS5/XB1/XBX/S General Discussions Got update but quick question. Jan 27, 2021
    ACC Troubleshooting 2020 Season Quick Race Max 23 AI [selecting Sprint entry will populate Sprint cup field] Jan 9, 2021
    ACC Multiplayer Tracks in quickjoin public multiplayer Jan 8, 2021
    ACC PS4/PS5/XB1/XBX/S General Discussions Starting qualifying in a Quick Start multi player race? Dec 3, 2020
    ACC Gameplay [1.6.1] HURACAN ST or P-CUP Quick Race Nov 21, 2020
    ACC PS4/PS5/XB1/XBX/S General Discussions Quick join and Competition Server not working Nov 17, 2020
    ACC Virtual Reality ACC in VR with a 3080 Quick Note Nov 9, 2020
    Console Lounge Special event quick race duration Oct 17, 2020
    ACC PS4/PS5/XB1/XBX/S General Discussions Quick Race bug v1.5.4 ps4 Sep 10, 2020

3. AlleyViper

AlleyViper Alien

It should work (not that it's recommendable) after moving the whole assettocorsa folder and launching manually the AssettoCorsa.exe, but expect longer loadings and more cpu overhead while these happen due to the usb connection instead of SATA. Also, your config, replays, etc, will remain in your local hard drive's documents\Assetto Corsa folder.

bgil66 and nate like this.
  4. Rudski

Rudski Alien

USB is much slower then SATA and it wouldn't be the best idea to run all your games from it. External HDD's are good for storing other data that doesn't require "performance" such as documents and music/movies.

Also the way USB 3.0 has been implemented and depending on the way they assigned the data lanes most USB 3.0 ports don't even reach the theoretical maximum. In some cases depending on the USB chip used if you use all the ports they run at 1/4 speed.

If you have a decent USB expansion card where each port has its own data lane then you could hit the maximum but it's still not recommended. AC won't like it at all.

What HDD are you using, can you post the model?

bgil66 and nate like this.
  5. bgil66

bgil66 Alien

Thanks, yeah I figured it was not an optimal thing to do just havent got around to build the pc yet and keep deleting stuff on current laptop just to either fit another DLC or update. Just gonna put pics, vids and other work related info on ext drive. Thanks for the input guys.

6. martcerv

martcerv Alien

I dont know how much the game loads off disk drive after initial track load, I think most is loaded to memory so as long as your running 64 bit and have enough free ram it should never need to cache or load from disk drive once in game. Startup times would be the most effected and I cant honestly say there has been any difference in game from when I ran it off a HDD to SSD but load times are quicker. Even replay files are limited by system ram as in game these aren't saved to disk until you exit the session or in sp press save in replay mode, so its quite likely in a non RAM limited 64bit system actual in game performance should be pretty much the same no matter what disk your storing your game files on.

bgil66 and AlleyViper like this.