1. Do you need support for Assetto Corsa Competizione? Please use the proper forum below and ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Logs" folder in your c:\users\*youruser*\AppData\Local\AC2\Saved. The "AppData" folder is hidden by default, check "Hidden items" in your Windows view properties. If you report a crash, ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Crashes" folder in the same directory. Do not post "I have the same issue" in an existing thread with a game crash, always open your own thread. Do not PM developers and staff members for personal troubleshooting and support.
  2. As part of our continuous maintenance and improvements to Assetto Corsa Competizione we will be releasing small updates on a regular basis during the esports season which might not go through the usual announcement process detailing the changes until a later version update where these changes will be listed retrospectively.
  3. If ACC doesn't start with an error or the executable is missing, please add your entire Steam directory to the exceptions in your antivirus software, run a Steam integrity check or reinstall the game altogether. Make sure you add the User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione folder to your antivirus/Defender exceptions and exclude it from any file sharing app (GDrive, OneDrive or Dropbox)! The Corsair iCue software is also known to conflict with Input Device initialization, if the game does not start up and you have such devices, please try disabling the iCue software and try again. [file:unknown] [line: 95] secure crt: invalid error is a sign of antivirus interference, while [Pak chunk signing mismatch on chunk] indicates a corrupted installation that requires game file verification.
  4. When reporting an issue with saved games, please always zip and attach your entire User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione/Savegame folder, along with the logs and the crash folder (when reporting related to a crash).

Racing Rigs & Direct Drive Wheels – Question of Stability?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat Room' started by Berniyh, Aug 5, 2016.

1. Berniyh

Berniyh Alien

Thanks for your impressions, appreciate that a lot.
    I don't think many people really compared them and in some cases (like with the review from SRG), the comparison is flawed.
    Yeah, the button box looks horrible, I would've ordered the normal AF version without the button box.
    I was worried there, but the setup video from SRG convinced me. SW-wise, the OSW seems to be good.
    At least the Fanatec ones are what I'm going to start with. Most likely the BMW GT2. I like the design of the 918 wheel, but it's hugely expensive and leather for racing? Naaah.

What comes after that, we'll see. I would really love to have one of Leopoldo Ramirez' wheels, they look amazing. But I guess they are over 1000€ each and with the huge investments I have to make into rig and wheel, I don't think so.
    Still, will contact him to get some info.
    Yeah, going for the Q1R as well.
    I wouldn't worry too much about the soldering. I think I could do that, but plug&play sounds very nice.
    Especially because it would be easier to undo that, in case you want to sell the wheel again.

2. Andrew_WOT

Andrew_WOT Alien

I have one, state of the engineering art, same as pedals. Can't go wrong. I only wish they had hybrid shifter so I can get rid of Fanatec brand altogether. There were some talks a while back of them working on H-Shifter, no info if it's supposed to be just H or hybrid. Hope the latter.

ANiMESoKAR likes this.
  3. Berniyh

Berniyh Alien

I have the TH8. It's ugly, but it works beautifully. I don't really see a need to change anything there anytime soon.

4. Andrew_WOT

Andrew_WOT Alien

Had that too, Fanatec SQ is much better, both H and S mode, plus the ability to switch between modes at the flip of the lever alone makes it worth the price. On TH8 it was so painful I've never used SS mode.

5. Berniyh

Berniyh Alien

I don't care about a sequential shifter. I use the paddles for those cars.
    Yeah, might not be real in some cases, but so what.

The TH8 does the job for me, so I'm fine. :)
    I've got other sim-related stuff to worry about. Most of which you can find in this thread. ;)

6. slopps

slopps Simracer

i use a fanatec clubsport shifter - best thing for the money (well i bought it before they increased the prices...) - but in all honesty the feel of it is still absolutely no where near anything like... a real shifter.
    remeber those shifters you'd get in arcades - High/low in sega rally, Or those 4 speed ones - they had so much feel and felt like you were actually changing gear - they felt so weighty and....meaty.
    is there anyone who makes shifters that feel like that?

7. Berniyh

Berniyh Alien

Just to add regarding the SQ shifter:
    I owned and used a Logitech Momo Racing for 5 years and apart from 2-3 short tries, I didn't use that at all.
    At least not for shifting.

8. Andrew_WOT

Andrew_WOT Alien

Anything for your money. :)

http://www.pro-sim.co.uk/product-category/shifters/

9. Berniyh

Berniyh Alien

Ok, that's just absurd.

10. Andrew_WOT

Andrew_WOT Alien

Nope, it's a normal price for high end sim gear.
    If pedals can cost $1500, why can't shifter?

11. Nick Moxley

Nick Moxley Alien

A USB cable is a USB cable (within reason), your Overthinking it my friend. I dont suggest spending 20$ a pop,.

This is the one i settled on, No its not crazy long, because i dont need the length with how i did my cable.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mystic-3ft-...c-Charger-Cable-/161811963585?var=&hash=item0

as seen here with the other bits and bops attached.

[​IMG]

micro B into the Teensy (was a somewhat challenge to get nice as this is truly a Small connector and Tiny tabs for the wires)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/10pcs-Micro...-For-DIY-F5-/301768712331?hash=item4642d1208b

Phone cable i got contemplated using but decided to go with the USB cable...if you want long, this is your solution, they stretch BIG time compared to the USB cables.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2m-6ft-Tele...C-Plug-RJ11-/281524683023?hash=item418c2dc10f

Flight 90 that hard mounts to my Adjustable wheel deck

http://www.ebay.com/itm/set-16mm-GX...Panel-mount-/221837555128?hash=item33a68c75b8

[​IMG]

Fanatec pcb cable

http://www.ebay.com/itm/5pcs-Micro-...h-Wires-Cables-300mm-Male-Female/391432202226

4P4C connectors

http://www.ebay.com/itm/310974239618?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

Nahkamarakatti, slopps and Berniyh like this.
  12. Berniyh

Berniyh Alien

Because 3 pedals means 3 high precision analogue inputs, each with different response and resistance curves. A shifter is just a nice packaged button box. Much easier to engineer.
    Sorry, a shifter for >1000€ is just rip-off.

13. slopps

slopps Simracer

thanks for this. its great that i can get useful OSW tips from here now and not have to pay the iracing tax anymore. its the only reason i used to subscribe, for OSW info!

14. Andrew_WOT

Andrew_WOT Alien

May be in case of TH8, but if you check the link for pro-sim shifter, it's a hydraulic design, manufactured in collaboration, using components from Quaife Engineering, company making race car shifters. If anything, I think it is undepriced comparing to pedals using off the shelf Leo Bodnar controller boards and mass produced load cells.

15. Berniyh

Berniyh Alien

*shrug*

Don't need it. ;)

Also, don't forget, that a lot of cars (also race cars) actually had a really ****ty gearbox, so the TH8 might add realism. :D

16. Much better.. ..when it works.. ..when it's not in Germany for repair.. :rolleyes:

Sorry, had to. :mad:

17. Andrew_WOT

Andrew_WOT Alien

Ha-ha, mine is holding fine so far, knocking on the wood, but I've heard horror stories, SS spring failures in particular.
    Well, hope there were something better around, this is why I'am holding high hopes for HE coming out with H shifter. So far seems like everyone is happy with their sequential.

Nahkamarakatti likes this.
  18. Yeah, the spring will break sooner than later and it's not the funniest thing to repair. If I'd be buying another CSS I would definitely choose the H-mode only version. Basic CSS only have one small calibration issue. Other than that it's very, ver-ry good shifter.

19. Berniyh

Berniyh Alien

They only sell one shifter these days. Much like they only sell one wheel either.

It's really a shame that they cut off almost all of their basic line. The GT3/GT2 wheels were a great competition for the Logitech and Thrustmaster wheels.

I think the Clubsport Pedals v2 were the last thing I bought from Fanatec. I could've bought the wheel base, when it was at 599€ (or was it 499€, can't remember exactly), since I was a Fanatec product owner at the time already.
    But now at 750€ for the base only … that's huge money.

For 899€ you can already order an OSW kit. Ok, you have to maybe 200€ extra if you want to have a quick release and convert the Fanatec rims.
    (It's doable for less than that, but it's a safe assumption.)
    It's a direct drive wheel instead of belt driven one, though.

Other than the plug'n'play aspect, I really don't see a point in buying a CSW v2 wheel base.

Edit: BTW, the Frex shifter always looked really nice. I was tempted to buy that, but driven away by the serious price.
    And then Thrustmaster came up with something reasonable and functional. ;)

20. Berniyh

Berniyh Alien

Ok, I'm pretty much certain now it's going to be the Sim Rig GT:
    http://www.h-engineering.net/shop/sim-rig-gt/

Pros:
    - Relatively fast adjustable (pedals & seat)
    - Stable (at least that's what it looks like)
    - 20% Rebate on the handbrake (which I'm going to buy)
    - Stable OSW mounting dash
    - Looks nice (wood like very nice in black&red, but black profiles are hard to get)
    - In the future I might mount the Warthog base in the middle on the bottom and extend it like a real cyclic. ;)

Negs:
    - Nobody else has it I guess, so no first hand experience. But from what I've read Heusinkveld is pretty highly regarded and the rig looks thought through
    - Expensive. It's ok, though, since it includes the monitor brakets which for some rigs would make up for the difference. And thanks to the Al profiles, it's easy to make modifications
    - No seat included, will have to spent some more time&money to find one
    - No (included) support for current stuff like wheel (GT3 v2), shifter (TH8) and pedals (CSPv2).
    - Angle adjustment for pedals costs extra, but that should be ok, I never felt to adjust the angle in my current (office-chair) setup as well.

For the GT3v2 wheel, I'm not too bothered. I will have to work out some intermediate solution, until I'll buy the OSW, but for the time being I will have to create something.
    Also, it would be nice to have a solution for a backup in case something goes wrong with the OSW. Not sure yet what to do here.
    For the shifter, there is a plate available at SimLabs. Since I'm going to order the profile kit externally, I can add a small profile piece there and then it should fit.

Regarding the helicopter stuff.
    The anti-torque pedals (Saitek Combat) should fit between pedals and the outer pieces of the rig. The inner profile pieces are 355mm, the profiles themselves are 40mm, so there is 435mm space.
    The pedal base has a width of 405mm, so with rubber pads that should be ok.
    The total width of the pedals is around 450mm, but it's only the pedals themselves and they should be far enough behind (might have to move the CSPs back when flying, but that's ok).
    For the HOTAS (Warthog) and keyboard/mouse as well, I think I'll build a small wooden desk I can place both at the side of the the rig and over the rig, so I can use the rig for normal games as well.
    That's not going to be insanely stable (has to be approx. 700mm wide and 350mm deep and maybe 700 to 800mm in height, so inherently unstable), but it doesn't have to be, I'm not an angry gamer. :D
    And a small desk at the side of the rig also means that the keyboard can be easily reached for.
    Edit: Maybe something like this:
    http://www.ikea.com/de/de/catalog/products/00260677/
    The alternative would be to mount profiles at each side and then mount stick and throttle on them, but I prefer the other solution.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2016