1. Do you need support for Assetto Corsa Competizione? Please use the proper forum below and ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Logs" folder in your c:\users\*youruser*\AppData\Local\AC2\Saved. The "AppData" folder is hidden by default, check "Hidden items" in your Windows view properties. If you report a crash, ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Crashes" folder in the same directory. Do not post "I have the same issue" in an existing thread with a game crash, always open your own thread. Do not PM developers and staff members for personal troubleshooting and support.
  2. As part of our continuous maintenance and improvements to Assetto Corsa Competizione we will be releasing small updates on a regular basis during the esports season which might not go through the usual announcement process detailing the changes until a later version update where these changes will be listed retrospectively.
  3. If ACC doesn't start with an error or the executable is missing, please add your entire Steam directory to the exceptions in your antivirus software, run a Steam integrity check or reinstall the game altogether. Make sure you add the User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione folder to your antivirus/Defender exceptions and exclude it from any file sharing app (GDrive, OneDrive or Dropbox)! The Corsair iCue software is also known to conflict with Input Device initialization, if the game does not start up and you have such devices, please try disabling the iCue software and try again. [file:unknown] [line: 95] secure crt: invalid error is a sign of antivirus interference, while [Pak chunk signing mismatch on chunk] indicates a corrupted installation that requires game file verification.
  4. When reporting an issue with saved games, please always zip and attach your entire User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione/Savegame folder, along with the logs and the crash folder (when reporting related to a crash).

RD's season update on race sims praises AC

Discussion in 'Chit Chat Room' started by Skybird, Aug 3, 2016.

1. Skybird

Skybird Alien

2. Similar Threads
    Forum Title Date
    Chit Chat Room Urd's dtm mod @simunization ac pub server Sep 17, 2015
    ACC PS4/PS5/XB1/XBX/S General Discussions 2023 Season Opponents not correct Yesterday at 10:59 PM
    ACC General Discussions SRO Esports Season 2024 Yesterday at 5:42 PM
    ACC PS4/PS5/XB1/XBX/S General Discussions 2023 season Mar 2, 2024
    ACC Troubleshooting Missing 2020 season in the championship mode Feb 25, 2024
    ACC PS4/PS5/XB1/XBX/S General Discussions 2023 Season Championship/Single Player Update? Dec 30, 2023
    ACC Online Leagues / Championships room [ACC][PC][GT3] ACRL ACC Sprint Season 8 Jun 5, 2023
    ACC Online Leagues / Championships room [PC] TNRL | Thursday Night Racing League Season 01 Jun 4, 2023
    ACC PS4/PS5/XB1/XBX/S General Discussions IXR, North America Challenge Season 4 Mar 16, 2023
    ACC PS4/PS5/XB1/XBX/S General Discussions 2022 Season update ? Mar 9, 2023
    ACC General Discussions SRO Esports Season 2023 Feb 15, 2023
    ACC PS4/PS5/XB1/XBX/S General Discussions memory error crash when loading cota or watklins glen in single player open season series Nov 11, 2022
    Online Leagues / Championships room ACF1 - Season 2 - RSS Formula Hybrid 2022 s (ver2) Sep 16, 2022
    Online Leagues / Championships room [AC ] F.1 Season 1975 Aug 31, 2022
    ACC Online Leagues / Championships room New 10 race season Aug 18, 2022

3. I really hope that a significant number of AC users consider the Maserati Levante S to be rather more than a "drive once and never touch it again jobbie". It's a lovely car to drive, and it would be great fun to race.

Nao, garyjpaterson, mms and 3 others like this.
  4. MsportDAN

MsportDAN Alien

yep just read this article, even myself i bought AC on early acces (first day on steam) it started promising then went down hill after some poor ai changes. i thought the handling has always been good. I literally hadn't had it installed for a good few months. Then came build 1.5 onwards. I got interested again, and found myself playing more. Now i can safely say its on the top of the pile amongst the likes of rf2 and AMS imo. (don't play online, apart from a short trial in iracing) They all seem to have their flaws, but i can say reiza and kuno are very active and worthy devs..... Lets face it F*** knows what ISI are doing these days lol

5. Epistolarius

Epistolarius Alien

This. I think the Levante is a lot of fun to drive.

6. Schnipp

Schnipp Alien

Do you know when it was released on steam?
    I played PCars back then and saw AC a few times in Steam before I got it in June or July '14.
    And after about 15-20 minutes I was checking how to get a refund with steam... :(

But I didn't figure it out and said: F*** it, take it as a lesson learned and be happy with PCars.

So what was the problem?
    I went through the (back then) short car list, saw the F40 and this was the car I needed to drive.
    And we all know how that car drove in the early versions. Big turbo lag and when the torque kicked in it was hard to manage, added by the fact it was hard to feel through the FFB when the back started sliding and once it was at that point I couldn't catch it.

So frustrated as I was I didn't play for a while, but gave it a second try and I'm so happy now about that, as the feel of the cars is so much better than PCars, which after knowing AC felt more like something between Gran Turismo and NFS Shift.

I have no comparison to iRacing, rFactor or Raceroom, but AC has such a believable feel to the cars that at the moment I don't see anything else to AC for me.

7. Epistolarius

Epistolarius Alien

So you wanted a refund because you found a car hard to drive in the simulation that is hard to drive in real life? Glad you gave it another try though.

8. Schnipp

Schnipp Alien

No, I was pissed because I thought at first that the physics (and game itself) was crap and I was unhappy with the game, while "throwing out" 35€* for no fun at all. I can't remember a game I disliked so much at the beginning, because it was just frustrating, but all that turned out to be so wrong. I just had to pick a another car and get used to the game.

Though the F40 still was very hard to drive for a long time. I think with 1.4 or 1.5 (don't know exactly, maybe with the new tire model) it got better. Now I can feel way better what the car is doing and can catch oversteer most of the time.

*Till now I paid 80€ for everything and that is still one of my best "investments" ever and I think I'm probably at 10ct. per hour of fun. ;)

9. Ace Pumpkin

Ace Pumpkin Alien

The F40 was, is and will ever be not easy to drive. And I must say it didn't change that much for me over time.
    The thing I bolted in your post buggles me a bit I must honestly admit.
    I followed the sim racing development for quite some time, love/hate relationship included. The first impression of AC on the first day of early access just blew me away. I never felt that connected in any other sim. The other sims are closing in nowadays, but AC still has this exclusive thing I can't put in words in an exact way. It's like trying to explain to a customer the differences between a tube guitar amp and a solid state one. You need to play it yourself to get the point.

10. Skybird

Skybird Alien

AC in early access was released in Novembre 2013, full release 1.0 was short before christmas 2014 I think, the tech demo came I think in spring 2013. You cannot have played Project Cars back then because PC was released not before spring 2015.

;) :)

I play-tested PC on somebody elses system short after release, and found it terrible, the AI and the physics were - well, terrible, even non-existent. But i got it now, just a few days ago, on PS4 for drastically reduced price, as a racing backup if my PC would go off duty all of a sudden. And although i used gamepad only (with drastically reduced sensitivity and drastically increased dead zones, this way the cars actually are drivable, I have no PS4 wheel), I could see that they seem to have done a lot of work since that terrible first release, the AI is less chaos now and the driving seems to follow at least most fundamental laws of physics. Visually, rain and weather and time of day are really stunners. Anything controlled with a gamepad can never qualify for "simulation" ranks, gamepad instead of wheel, and "driving simulation" simply are mutually excluding each other, but as a console racer and arcade racer I must admit PC actually is pretty good now. For an arcade racer even very good. For me its just a back up, I do not plan to spend much time with it right now. It was the small price that caught me.

I will never understand what drives publishers to prematurely release stuff that early and accept serious damage to the titles reputation that way. Raceroom suffers from that reputation - no longer justified now - until today, and Project Cars made the same mistake. AC got away cheap, the AI at release of 1.0 was also a dud, but long time later they finally got it working and now it really is quite good, and AC seems to have not suffered much from that, at least not to the degree RR and PC have. Maybe because there was enough stuff convincingly working and so compensating the early AI's failure in year one.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2016
    Ace Pumpkin likes this.
  11. Skybird

Skybird Alien

I had the same xperience - already with the tech demo. The tech demo was what got me hooked. Kunos so to speak already killed me with their very first shot fired - an experimental round fired from an experimental rifle.

Ace Pumpkin likes this.
  12. Ben Lee

Ben Lee Alien

The F40 has changed significantly in my view. It used to be a extremely difficult to drive car which would slide and oversteer at a mere hint of the throttle, its now much more civillised and will still break loose, but no where near as wild as it once was. When it first came out I thought it was pretty close to being undriveable.

Schnipp likes this.
  13. Schnipp

Schnipp Alien

@Ace Pumpkin
    I know what you mean.

I was just so excited to the chance of driving a F40 in a sim and I just couldn't feel what the car was doing.
    At least I feel it's better since about 6 month or so, but of course, it will never be easy to drive. It was just this thing that I just could feel when the rear was sliding due to power-oversteer when it started and at the point where I felt it I could counter the oversteer and always spun.

So I quit, after a bit I tried again with the F40 and was directly mad again.
    But with my knowledge from today, the fault was me and that I (unknowingly) selected (one of) the hardest car(s) in the game but didn't give another car a shot.

After 1 or 2 weeks I started one more attempt and drove a few cars and that was the point where I started to feel what AC really is.

1.0 before christmas 2014 seems right since I also played pre 1.0 versions of AC. Actually, I look up when I bought AC, it was June or July 2014, just not sure if it was June or July without looking again.

And to PCars:
    Well, I got into PCars back when it was open as crowd-funding project, I joined on August, 30th, 2012.
    So I almost played PCars for 2 years as I bought AC.
    And if you don't believe me:
    WMD.JPG

@Ben Lee
    I see it exactly like you. Close to the point of undriveable and now pretty decent behaviour.
    I was just so frustrated because I couldn't imagine it would be so hard to drive. Today I really like to drive the F40.

PS: PCars looks great, but gameplay (and so physics and feeling) is way more important for me, so AC all the way.
    Plus PCars I started with 10€ buy-in and could play. So if it had been bad it still would have been 10€ (with option to get it back). Steams seams to be way more restrictive, plus 35€ just for something you couldn't even test and only very few things I could find about the game is another thing.
    But that was always and still is a thing I don't like, not just with Steam but with basicly every game that you have to buy without having a chance of testing it, because I still know back 15-20 or so years ago there where demos of almost every game available.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2016
  14. Skybird

Skybird Alien

I forgot that PC indeed had this long phase of crowd funders' testing, my fault.

15. Ace Pumpkin

Ace Pumpkin Alien

Project Community Assisted Race Simulator...
    Haha...

Vel likes this.
  16. Guidofoc

Guidofoc Alien

For the F40: i just max negative camber all around and also some toe, car feels quite civilized, love it.

17. Schnipp

Schnipp Alien

And stock tire pressure is too high for semislicks.