1. Do you need support for Assetto Corsa Competizione? Please use the proper forum below and ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Logs" folder in your c:\users\*youruser*\AppData\Local\AC2\Saved. The "AppData" folder is hidden by default, check "Hidden items" in your Windows view properties. If you report a crash, ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Crashes" folder in the same directory. Do not post "I have the same issue" in an existing thread with a game crash, always open your own thread. Do not PM developers and staff members for personal troubleshooting and support.
  2. As part of our continuous maintenance and improvements to Assetto Corsa Competizione we will be releasing small updates on a regular basis during the esports season which might not go through the usual announcement process detailing the changes until a later version update where these changes will be listed retrospectively.
  3. If ACC doesn't start with an error or the executable is missing, please add your entire Steam directory to the exceptions in your antivirus software, run a Steam integrity check or reinstall the game altogether. Make sure you add the User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione folder to your antivirus/Defender exceptions and exclude it from any file sharing app (GDrive, OneDrive or Dropbox)! The Corsair iCue software is also known to conflict with Input Device initialization, if the game does not start up and you have such devices, please try disabling the iCue software and try again. [file:unknown] [line: 95] secure crt: invalid error is a sign of antivirus interference, while [Pak chunk signing mismatch on chunk] indicates a corrupted installation that requires game file verification.
  4. When reporting an issue with saved games, please always zip and attach your entire User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione/Savegame folder, along with the logs and the crash folder (when reporting related to a crash).

RHM or look to apex?

Discussion in 'ACC General Discussions' started by vlado Cro, May 10, 2018.

1. vlado Cro

vlado Cro Simracer

Just to add. I see Alot of u comment RHM its not good when countersteering... TBH I'm an admin on driftjunkies server's,can say "pro drifter" for like 4 years in AC. Didnt use RHM until i start Racing. But from then i use it while drifting,and alot of guys do. With small slides u will never go that far with wheel so it will not mess your perception, but it will help for big slides,like in drifting. u really want to see sideways. i know thats not the point to ACC. But wanted to say if your rear start to overtake,I never seen anybody keep looking straight over bonet,u will see headmovment pointing to the road,and your body will change position depending on corner. On single screen u can track those things even with static camera,but very limited.

2. Serge M

Serge M Alien

My thing has always been the use of these in VR. I have drifted a fair amount for fun and if you want to look out the side window just turn your head, go wild, go full reverse entry and look out the rear window!

3. vlado Cro

vlado Cro Simracer

U obviously dont read at all.Its not related to HMD users. Really dude.

Andrew_WOT likes this.
  4. liakjim

liakjim Alien

I would like to test your settings because as I previously said , I am unable to find good ones for these occasions.

Στάλθηκε από το m2 note μου χρησιμοποιώντας Tapatalk

5. vlado Cro

vlado Cro Simracer

Cant post on 3rd party sites,so have to link it like this.
    hope its on right pic.
    http://s347.photobucket.com/user/Vlado_Cro/media/rhm settings_zpscz9zgixz.png.html

Edit:to add;i have 2500h in ac,so maybe im just used to it,but i really didnt use RHM to until last 300-400h

Edit of edit :D :my fov is 27,seat in mid position,for now i play on one 24" screen.

Last edited: May 12, 2018
    liakjim likes this.
  6. Serge M

Serge M Alien

I have in fairness not looked through every post here and have over the years seen MANY posts about RHM and lock to horizon in relation to VR use so my appologies if I have it wrong.

Assuming normal screen use though doesn’t it make it harder to make precise steering inputs if the camera moves as you turn in to a corner?

7. vlado Cro

vlado Cro Simracer

It needs some time to get used to it,but i dont lost track of cars width,I still know where my wheels are,cos even on max lock,my look dosent move that much,but it opens me whole dash when im in right corner,and can see around left mirror while left cornering.so im more aware visualy how much im close to limit.

Andrew_WOT likes this.
  8. Serge M

Serge M Alien

You realise though that you are trying to emulate in software artificialy something that VR will give you natively?

9. vlado Cro

vlado Cro Simracer

And again dude,haha.Its related to screen users only,even some HMD use it for eliminate vertical movment if im not wrong.

10. Andrew_WOT

Andrew_WOT Alien

Think of TrackIR for screeners, only you don't need to turn your head while keeping eyes on screen (how natural is that?)
    That is only for look to apex function, now there is camera movement smoothing that works quite better than native lock to horizon even for HMD users.
    So while RHM can do both, they are really two separate functions.
    Customizeable camera movement will benefit everyone, and optional look to apex mostly for single screen users and those who find is useful, at least it would be super if that option (emphasis on "option") was provided.

After_Midnight and vlado Cro like this.
  11. Epistolarius

Epistolarius Alien

I use RHM, mostly for the head motion on turn in. It took some getting used to and some fiddling with the settings (I turned it down to just the basics really) to get it where I want but now it's a must for me when driving in AC, particularly when using a single screen. Being able to freely look around the cockpit while driving with bindable buttons/axis is a great added bonus). I really hope something like this will exist for ACC.

[​IMG]

In AC's settings lock to horizon is off, high speed shaking is 200%, G forces is 140/140/100% (if it matters).

After_Midnight, vlado Cro and Minolin like this.
  12. WallyM

WallyM Alien

I use RHM all the time in AC to give me a natural looking compromise between "lock camera to horizon" and "lock camera to car", as in real life, your eyes don't lock to either the horizon or the car exclusively, but move vertically between the two with some inertial lag (as the RHM thread explains). I also give a little lateral tilt with lateral Gs, just as your head (and viewpoint) moves under G forces. Like someone else said in this thread, with RHM "less is more". I use subtle amounts of RHM movements until it feels natural.

I don't use any kind of "look to apex" function as I'm quite capable of doing that myself.

Project Cars implemented this with a slider between the two extremes of "lock camera to horizon" and "lock camera to car", which was a good idea, and I'd love for ACC to have something similar.

Ernie, Minolin, LeiF and 3 others like this.
  13. Serge M

Serge M Alien

Fun fact, the processing time to see something by the human brain is about 0.3 of a second. So we all have lag

14. LeiF

LeiF Alien

Source? I thought it was a lot less, and you are quoting time to see something AND effect a motor response.

15. Minolin

Minolin Staff Member KS Dev Team

well Cerebrum vs. Cerebellum

16. magicfr

magicfr Sébastien Tixier

As RHM creator, of course I use it, actually I made it because I just can't drive with fixed/gopro like camera, I got motion sick. And the "lock to horizon" doesn't feel realistic , plus you can't see the track on big slopes ( Nordshleife ).
    I don't use the look to apex, and look to velocity direction features, but it was fun to add them to help people having a better experience :)
    Personally I don't see why people don't like have extra features, if you don't like a feature, just don't use it :D

If Stefano want me to integrate RHM in ACC, I would do it for free, I have perforce and unreal 4 at home, im a pro gamedev since 20y ( since april 1th this year :D ) and work on UE4 for 2 years :)
    I will accept my name in the credit as payment :D

AlenC, Fremen_78, Paratus and 14 others like this.
  17. magicfr

magicfr Sébastien Tixier

Actually not really :) The eyes lock on what ever you want, and the inner ears , * automatically * adjust eye ball rotation so even when the car is bumping on bumps , your sight stay locked on the thing you are focusing. But RHM can't "guess" what you are focusing so it supposed you look at the track :)
    Actually coding RHM directly IN ACC would make it even better ( the filtering part , the look ahead part feature for me is NOT the RHM main feature , it's more a "look" feature ). Because coding directly inside ACC game engine will give access to the track data ( ground position and normal of the track ahead ).

18. Ernie

Ernie Gamer

RHM is a must-have for me. I actually can't remember my current settings, but i almost use default RHM settings without any specific look-to-apex adjustments. And even if i drive in VR since over a year, i still use RHM. (Maybe if i'd have a motion rig, it could be a different story)

19. WallyM

WallyM Alien

Sure, I think that's what the body tries to do, but it won't be able to compensate for the bumps instantaneously, and there will be a little lag in the eyeball movement, translating into a momentary vertical movement.

20. Cote Dazur

Cote Dazur Alien

I don’t use RHM in AC, but I know some people do and swear by it, why would you think that it would not also work in ACC, it will be up to @magicfr to adapt it, like he did for most other SIM.
    If I liked it in AC, I definitely would like to see it also in ACC, I mean why not?

MABlosfeld and After_Midnight like this.