1. Do you need support for Assetto Corsa Competizione? Please use the proper forum below and ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Logs" folder in your c:\users\*youruser*\AppData\Local\AC2\Saved. The "AppData" folder is hidden by default, check "Hidden items" in your Windows view properties. If you report a crash, ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Crashes" folder in the same directory. Do not post "I have the same issue" in an existing thread with a game crash, always open your own thread. Do not PM developers and staff members for personal troubleshooting and support.
  2. As part of our continuous maintenance and improvements to Assetto Corsa Competizione we will be releasing small updates on a regular basis during the esports season which might not go through the usual announcement process detailing the changes until a later version update where these changes will be listed retrospectively.
  3. If ACC doesn't start with an error or the executable is missing, please add your entire Steam directory to the exceptions in your antivirus software, run a Steam integrity check or reinstall the game altogether. Make sure you add the User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione folder to your antivirus/Defender exceptions and exclude it from any file sharing app (GDrive, OneDrive or Dropbox)! The Corsair iCue software is also known to conflict with Input Device initialization, if the game does not start up and you have such devices, please try disabling the iCue software and try again. [file:unknown] [line: 95] secure crt: invalid error is a sign of antivirus interference, while [Pak chunk signing mismatch on chunk] indicates a corrupted installation that requires game file verification.
  4. When reporting an issue with saved games, please always zip and attach your entire User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione/Savegame folder, along with the logs and the crash folder (when reporting related to a crash).

Screenshot Tips and Tricks Discussion

Discussion in 'Screens & Videos' started by Eximo, Apr 8, 2016.

1. Eximo

Eximo Simracer

Thought it might be useful to get some tips and tricks discussion for getting nice screenshots. I see a lot of the same questions popping up in the screenshots thread but they tend to get buried with the pictures being posted.

So lets use this thread to post any tips and tricks for capturing good screenshots, such as

Increasing far plane for improved reflections
    Unlocking fixed cameras
    Getting motion blur to work (i'd like to know this actually)
    Enabling DoF blur
    Differences in Replay photo mode vs Photo Dev App

liakjim and Alex Zuotoski like this.
  2. Alex Zuotoski

Alex Zuotoski Rookie

Hi! I am new here, but an old screenshot lover :D - I was lucky to participate of the Project CARS beta Development fase, where anyone could buy a tear. At that time, I could produce some nice screenshots using PCARS development tools and some Sweet Effects injections. Now, I am trying to make it work with Assetto Corsa, but it seems a little bit different (or a lot bit different). Today I made this question to a user here that makes amazing screenshots, then I saw your post and decided to ask it here, too - information sources are never too much. So, here it goes:

My name is Alex, also known as Zuotoski (PCARS user). At the PCARS beta development period, I've learned so much about screenshots with tips and tricks provided by other users there. That didn't went as far as some of them, but it made my screenshots much, much better. So, first of all, thank you and second congratulations (it is an honest statment, be sure).
    Now I am dealing with Assetto Corsa, which provides amazing pics, and using its own photomode it is possible to achieve very good effects. But, I am facing a "problem", let's say. I like to use DOF to blur the background, but the details in the foreground edges also get this blur. See this example: https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7424/26980680140_578102f6f6_o_d.jpg

[​IMG]

- as you can see, the foreground edges are also unfocused, which makes the image not as natural as it should. When I see some screenshots here, the edges are very sharp and natural. So, my question is: How did you manage to accomplish it, please?
    I'll understand if you don't want to share this information, but if you guys could at least give us some tips or advice on how to get there, it will be great and I'll always give you credits for this.

So, my only issue with Assetto Corsa is this: foreground edges that lose the definition/sharpness when using DOF to make blur background.

Cheers :)

Last edited: Aug 20, 2016
    kelnor34 likes this.
  3. kelnor34

kelnor34 Alien

Hi Alex,

You have a PM mate ;)

Alex Zuotoski likes this.
  4. Alex Zuotoski

Alex Zuotoski Rookie

Thank you! So nice to get back. I'll try it and let you know. I'll be glad to share here anything that I learn with this technic.

kelnor34 likes this.
  5. McGraw

McGraw Racer

That screenshot doesn't seem unnatural to me.

If you have a thin focus plane and the subject is set back then you should have a blurred foreground.

I think the blurred foreground helps isolate the subject.

6. Alex Zuotoski

Alex Zuotoski Rookie

Thanks for trying to minimize the "issue", but I am a sports cars photographer in real life, and I know that it doesn't happen this way. The focus is concentrated in the entire car, so the edges should be sharp, too. I am trying the suggestion made by Kelnor34 and the difference is notorious.
    Cheers :)

7. Chazz Ranger

Chazz Ranger Alien

Could you share these suggestions? I'd love to improve my screenshots! :)

8. Hello mates, just a noob question. How to look for information about running AC in higher resolution to take bigger screenshots? I have tried to search on forum but got no results. Thanks in advance.

9. Muska

Muska Hardcore Simmer

If you use an Nvidea card you can go into the Nvidea control panel and select the higher DSR (DynamicSuperResolution) 2x, 4x etc and then you can select those in the Assetto Corsa graphics settings :)

I will make a longer post of all the things I have found on this topic when I have more time :)

10. McGraw

McGraw Racer

I guess I see the grass as the foreground, not the car.

11. Alex Zuotoski

Alex Zuotoski Rookie

Sure, as soon as I dominate it a little bit more - but what I can already say is that it is not as simple as it is with the native AC tools, it has to do with extra applications and mods.

12. Alex Zuotoski

Alex Zuotoski Rookie

Oh, man :rolleyes: ... when I say "foreground" I mean the object in focus.

13. Muska

Muska Hardcore Simmer

I presume it's the superwidescreen program (can't remember it's name) where you set the render size for the game in windowed mode so you're taking a screenshot at whatever native resolution you have chosen.

14. Muska

Muska Hardcore Simmer

15. Muska

Muska Hardcore Simmer

Been meaning to get around to sharing my findings so far for best looking screenshots.

I have what I would class as a high end system, so running the graphics settings maxed out is not a problem, but I still found that the AA was not as good as I would like.

Nvidea Inspector is a great tool, here are my settings:

[​IMG]

This made a huge difference, and I still found performance more than playable for doing a lap/race to get a replay reel to take an image from.

If you use an Nvidea card, than as I said above, enable the DSR (Dynamic Super Resolution) settings. I went for 2x, 3x and 4x as my native resolution is 2k. I'm now able to take images at a native resolution in game of 4k, 5k and 8k!! Not all scenarios allow this, a single car on a track works fine for 5k for me, but the frame rate is a single figure, so some patience is needed when getting the shot you want, and it can crash the display driver from time to time and I have to load again. Most of the images I have posted are 4k only for this reason. The showroom however, performs very well at 8k.

Finally, it makes a big difference using a livery/skin with a good resolution, 4k and above especially. Use a good weather mod like good&bad weathers, I like Natural mod for my PP filter and lots of experimenting :)

Hope that helps someone, I hope to see more tips added from others :)

Alex Zuotoski and kelnor34 like this.
  16. Robert M525

Robert M525 Gamer

This thread seems as good a place as any to ask about this.

I'm not crazy: Assetto Corsa doesn't have an autofocus button I'm just unaware of, right? You have to manually set the focus using "DOF Focus," right? (Though it seems a value is automatically chosen for you when you first enter photo mode.)

Also, is it just me, or does the depth of field not really change when using the "DOF Factor"? It seems like there are actually two DoF settings: infinite DoF, where everything is in focus, and a very shallow DoF, where little beyond the focus point is in focus. When I first enter Photo Mode, it's always in the former mode and then, when I toggle the DOF Factor setting (doesn't matter what value), it switches to the latter.

For instance, take these two screenshots. In the first, the DOF Factor is set to 5. In the second, it's set to 1000. I can't see any difference between them.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here's a recording I made of messing with it:

I hope I'm just missing something.

Man, I wish AC was like Gran Turismo and just used actual camera settings for photo mode (e.g., shutter speed, aperture). :) (Though being able to change the lighting on the fly is totally awesome.)

Last edited: Nov 13, 2016
  17. Freddie Seng

Freddie Seng Hardcore Simmer

I asked myself the same question, it doesn't seem to work for me either.

However, you can change aperture values in your PP filter file in \system\cfg\ppfilters.
    I set it at 12 under:

[DOF]
    APERTURE_F_NUMBER=12

But I might increase this value because the focus zone is a tad too short atm

18. T'PAU

T'PAU Hardcore Simmer

So this APERTURE... value influences the depth of the focused zone? Interesting, I should play around with this a bit. I often have problems to focus on the "important" part of the car.