1. Do you need support for Assetto Corsa Competizione? Please use the proper forum below and ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Logs" folder in your c:\users\*youruser*\AppData\Local\AC2\Saved. The "AppData" folder is hidden by default, check "Hidden items" in your Windows view properties. If you report a crash, ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Crashes" folder in the same directory.
  2. FOR ASSETTO CORSA COMPETIZIONE: If you report issues with saved games, please always zip and attach your entire User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione/Savegame folder!
  3. If your game executable is missing, please add your entire Steam directory to the exceptions in your antivirus software, then run a Steam integrity check or reinstall the game altogether.

Should I Upgrade to a FFB Wheel?

Discussion in 'ACC Hardware Discussions' started by FriendOfJah, Jun 1, 2020.

1. FriendOfJah

FriendOfJah Gamer

Hi Folks,

I'm currently using my old trusty Thomas Super Wheel and Pedals for ACC. I'm wondering if I would be able to improve my lap times by moving up to a Fanatec CSL Elite Wheel Base V1.1 and CSL Elite Pedals LC setup?

Just for some background on me. I have Parkinson's Disease (PD). My PD causes me to have muscle fatigue and weakness among many other wonderful symptoms. The fine motor skills that I once had years ago for serious sim racing, are just not there. I'm able to race for no more than about 60-90 minutes or so as it becomes increasingly difficult to be consistent with my wheel and pedal inputs due to the muscle fatigue. However, I feel like I'm just not able to improve my lap times with the TSW2 Wheel at this point.

Would it be a mistake for me to go to a FFB wheel with my condition? I feel like I'm missing all of the subtle nuisances that I've heard many racers talk about here that you can feel in a FFB wheel as opposed to just relying on only the audio and video for how the car is handling (or not handling with over-steer and under-steer). Any feedback, suggestions or help provided on this topic would be most gratefully appreciated. Thanks in advance everyone.

Roger

NemethR and Fr0zzen like this.

2. Similar Threads
    Forum Title Date
    Chit Chat Room Should i upgrade from g27 to t300rs ? Nov 17, 2014
    ACC PS4 - XB1 General Discussions They should give Intercontinental DLC for free as an apology Jul 4, 2020
    ACC General Discussions Should be nice to have this kind of HUD Jun 6, 2020
    Console Lounge WHL 177 Standing on the shoulders of Giants May 2, 2020
    ACC General Discussions ACC update should be at today? Apr 30, 2020
    ACC Graphics - Tracks and Cars yellow headlights as an secondary choice - should it be possible? Apr 3, 2020
    ACC Controls & Peripherals which config files should i delete to have fresh ffb settings?!? Feb 23, 2020
    ACC Rating & Leaderboards CN and CC should be track dependent Nov 28, 2019
    ACC Rating & Leaderboards How automatic rating practice info should work and how to improve ratings in my opinion. Nov 19, 2019
    ACC User Interface [1.0.4] Should use marshall flags instead of Green/yellow bar in upper left corner Jun 16, 2019
    ACC Gameplay Why you shouldn't race 24h SP races yet... Jun 10, 2019
    ACC Virtual Reality VR Basic understanding YOU should KNOW! Jun 6, 2019
    ACC Gameplay Jaguar shouldn't be at Zolder Jun 2, 2019
    ACC User Interface Weather and Track Conditions - Quick Race = Special Events (but shouldn't) Apr 8, 2019
    ACC Rating & Leaderboards Driver rating should not be affected after race finish Mar 4, 2019

3. SimGuy_1

SimGuy_1 Hardcore Simmer

No.Wheel will only improve the feel NOT lap times.
    There are probably super fast alien with old logitech BUT if you got money then buy it.

4. NemethR

NemethR Simracer

Well, maybe you should first see if you can buy an older FFB wheel used (like a Logitech G25, G27 for example)

Those should not be too expansive, and you can try and see if that helps.
    If so, you can probably sell the wheel for the same money you purchased it, and get the Fanatec.

5. It will not improve lap times.
    But a quality FFB or DD is money well spent!

FriendOfJah likes this.
  6. Serge M

Serge M Alien

Will not likely improve your lap time’s directly, the feedback will help you feel what the car is doing though and that will help overall.

It will improve your experience massively.

FriendOfJah likes this.
  7. fsuarez79

fsuarez79 Simracer

I'd argue that a FFB wheel won't improve your lap times but will make you more consistent as it'll help you detect understeer/oversteer faster and more easily.
    On the other hand, load cell pedals could in fact improve your laptimes as you'll have a much better feel for breaking distances. I think mine did when i switched from Logitech pedals to the CSL LC and I've seen others claim the same.
    Either way, I wouldn't look at it from a laptime perspective but for the immersion/experience improvement. Totally worth the upgrade.....just don't go crazy on FFB forces.

FriendOfJah and Schaefe like this.
  8. Sofa

Sofa Gamer

I disagree, it can improve laptimes. I dont know if it would right for you considering your condition, but you can set up the wheel to have a light feel, and still get ffb information. Don't know how heavy the feel of the wheel is that you use now, for all I know a ffb wheel could even require less force to operate. It is a big investment though for something that might not work for you. Can't you test it somewhere before you buy? Ffb also gives more immersion, more fun, I think anyway. Good luck with making your decision. :)

FriendOfJah likes this.
  9. nrc689

nrc689 Racer

I pass from G29 to csl v 1.1. The big difference is the force in the centre. With g29 you don't fell the first degrees and you loose information. Fanatec is very direct, if you turn 2 degrees you feel immediately and it help to understand what happen. About the force you can set as you want. With g29 sometimes I lost the car because the delay of input. With fanatec i have much more control.

FriendOfJah, sissydriver and chksix like this.
  10. Schaefe

Schaefe Rookie

For me FFB is a big part of the fun in sim racing. It may not make you faster, but it's a lot more fun to drive. Having more fun, could make you faster in the end, as you may have mor motivation.

FriendOfJah likes this.
  11. Sofa

Sofa Gamer

For me it is simple; ffb gives you more info about what the car is doing than just the visual info. Apart that it makes it more fun, the more info you get the better decisions you make about what to do with the car. Although I'm sure some people can be very fast without it.

FriendOfJah likes this.
  12. nrc689

nrc689 Racer

I think all of us (simdrivers) love to drive to have funny and good moments. Simply better wheel give to you better funny/enjoi moments. Definitely lap time is not the goal. No matter. A better wheel give an upgrade of your experience. Also my english... no matter :D

FriendOfJah and baboon like this.
  13. FriendOfJah

FriendOfJah Gamer

Wow, thanks so much to everyone for all of the excellent feedback and recommendations. You guys rock! I've decided to go with a FFB wheel order the Fanatec setup. I'm waiting for their Customer Service to get back to me with a question I had. I'll post an update on how my experience with it driving in ACC either improves or not. Thanks again folks, you're the best!

baboon, Schaefe, nrc689 and 3 others like this.
  14. FlakNine

FlakNine Gamer

As you mentioned your Parkinsons Disease leads to muscle fatigue it's worth keeping in mind that you can set the FFB strength to be very low. If you are getting a Fanatec wheel you can do this on the fly, directly from the wheel without needing to go into the Fanatec software or game settings.

FriendOfJah and nrc689 like this.
  15. Chris 576

Chris 576 Hardcore Simmer

One word,

YES

FriendOfJah likes this.
  16. FriendOfJah

FriendOfJah Gamer

Thanks so much for the feedback and information on setting up the Fanatec wheel. I wrote their customer service department asking for assistance in placing my order...no reply. I guess they don't want my money?

17. FriendOfJah

FriendOfJah Gamer

Thanks so much for the feedback.