1. Do you need support for Assetto Corsa Competizione? Please use the proper forum below and ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Logs" folder in your c:\users\*youruser*\AppData\Local\AC2\Saved. The "AppData" folder is hidden by default, check "Hidden items" in your Windows view properties. If you report a crash, ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Crashes" folder in the same directory. Do not post "I have the same issue" in an existing thread with a game crash, always open your own thread. Do not PM developers and staff members for personal troubleshooting and support.
  2. As part of our continuous maintenance and improvements to Assetto Corsa Competizione we will be releasing small updates on a regular basis during the esports season which might not go through the usual announcement process detailing the changes until a later version update where these changes will be listed retrospectively.
  3. If ACC doesn't start with an error or the executable is missing, please add your entire Steam directory to the exceptions in your antivirus software, run a Steam integrity check or reinstall the game altogether. Make sure you add the User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione folder to your antivirus/Defender exceptions and exclude it from any file sharing app (GDrive, OneDrive or Dropbox)! The Corsair iCue software is also known to conflict with Input Device initialization, if the game does not start up and you have such devices, please try disabling the iCue software and try again. [file:unknown] [line: 95] secure crt: invalid error is a sign of antivirus interference, while [Pak chunk signing mismatch on chunk] indicates a corrupted installation that requires game file verification.
  4. When reporting an issue with saved games, please always zip and attach your entire User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione/Savegame folder, along with the logs and the crash folder (when reporting related to a crash).

Discussing Unreal

Discussion in 'ACC General Discussions' started by el_goe, Sep 13, 2018.

1. vortex19

vortex19 Simracer

Does your system meet the minimum requirements for ACC?

2. I can assure you this had zero relevance in our decision, modifications to the engine were always discouraged in the team and only considered when nothing else could be done to live with the limitations.

The main reason to go with UE4 was to take advantage of the fact that the team could work on gameplay instead of low level features, the hope was to find something that could make us more productive as a team.

Perell0ne, Ernie, Tim Meuris and 28 others like this.
  3. F4celess

F4celess Gamer

Interesting, thanks for correcting my assumption.

Tim Larsen likes this.
  4. Loren Thomas

Loren Thomas Gamer

Well I don't have it anywhere near this bad, but I do agree that ACC is poorly optimized for anything but high-end systems with single monitors that can run all the settings at high or epic. If you start turning things down, you get a lot of nasty things flashing in and out with the LOD changes. For me, I'd prefer to just skip the highest LODs entirely rather than have them switching very noticeably ~5m in front of me. I think Kunos (and other companies too) are guilty of building the models for the showroom and screenshots rather than actual driving, which maybe they could get away with using AC1's simpler engine, but not with UE4.

5. anthonylroy

anthonylroy Hardcore Simmer

If they make there own engine it will drastically remove resources from game development, and if they want the same quality graphics, they will probably run into the same performance issues that UE4, or that any other modern Graphics engine has , Standard machine hardware is just not good enough for modern simulation gaming software. unfortunately you need overpriced hardware If you want take advantage of good quality modelling and high resolution physics. This is unfortunate. I don't think optimisation will make that much difference , not like a 50% increase in performance if you want the same quality. Vr is not popular because of the fact that it is not good enough for the standard gamer, not because of the software but the hardware is not keeping up.

6. marcos1988

marcos1988 Racer

I really really really cannot agree for especially your last sentence: "I think Kunos (and other companies too) are guilty of building the models for the showroom and screenshots rather than actual driving, which maybe they could get away with using AC1's simpler engine, but not with UE4." They are fully focussed on actual driving behaviour, how can you say such thing? I have yet to encounter a sim which provides the same or more detail in general, with graphics and physics / car feeling.

vortex19 and warth0g like this.
  7. SimGuy_1

SimGuy_1 Alien

Yep.

8. PLebre

PLebre Hardcore Simmer

No.
    Great atmospheric effects & light sources.

9. MNFRMTMRRW

MNFRMTMRRW Gamer

Wether you like it or not, VR/Triple Screen are a niche within the niche of sim racing. Unless you want to cater to niches within niches (which can be lucrative), they should not be to priority. Going with Unreal Engine offers a bunch of advantages: lower level functions in place, easier to port game between platforms and consoles, future proof since engine is being developed continuously by Epic Games and also should easier to find game developers who have experience with hit.

To me ACC is the most enjoyable and also good looking racing sim on the market. Especially the physics, car sounds and handling are best in class. I don't care if they switch to another engine or not for their next game, they are the experts, but I am 100% happy with UE4 in this game. I hope the buggy/missing features get sorted before the 2019 update hits and I dream about Asia and America leagues being added as paid DLC in the future before they move on to their next game.

Nonetheless I will be enjoying this one for years to come.

10. Captain Barracuda

Captain Barracuda Hardcore Simmer

For me the lighting and atmospheric abilities of ue4 are much better. I jumped into ac1 after a few months of acc and while the sharpness and msaa + sgss is hugely better than taa the lighting looks strange in ac1 by comparison. For example the lighting on the track feels different to the lighting on the cars. Hard to explain the sensation I get but there's a disconnect there. In acc everything feels together and lighting/reflection effects feel consistent. That said their are wierd phenomenon in acc. Firstly the way it renders gives a strange grainy/blurry appearance. I also feel stuff like dash panel in car displaying text can appear interpolated, it's as if ue4 is never rendering at your actual screen resolution. It also seems to load textures/lod changes too late - this isn't an acc 'feature', go play pubg and you'll see it behaves the same way.

Tim Meuris and SylverFyre like this.
  11. warth0g

warth0g Hardcore Simmer

I get a Crysis vibe from ACC. It’s genuinely fantastic and better than anything else out there if you have a sufficiently powerful machine.

Sometimes a new game will come along that pushes the hardware limitations of the average PC. Personally, I don’t think that’s a bad thing - it moves things forward in the quest for ultimate immersion. People will have to upgrade aging hardware anyway, perhaps this will be the impetus for that.

I say stay the course Kunos. It was a sound decision to use an engine as capable as Unreal and it will only get better. Spend your time on physics, FFB, simulating the nuances of the sport, optimizing and bug-fixing. Oh, and on DLC of course, that’s very important - not that I’m impatient

SylverFyre likes this.
  12. Rudski

Rudski Alien

I think the choice in engine comes down to the individual project. Projects with short time lines may require off the shelf products. Projects with hardly any deadlines could take advantage of a new engine.

Ace Pumpkin and stefanoCasillo like this.
  13. MNFRMTMRRW

MNFRMTMRRW Gamer

Hardware will catch up. In 1-3 years time most people can run it fine in high fidelity. If by then the features and content (Blancplain America and Asia for example) are there, it will be one hell of a game. Also, Unreal Engine 4 will also develop and features like proper VR and Triple Screen support will almost guaranteed be implemented properly.

But as said before, I will trust Kunos 100% and whatever they decide I am supportive of. They're the experts not us. My ony ask is to make the game mechanics work (too many features are not working or not working as intended right now) and the 2019 season update is a nice bonus.

14. WallyM

WallyM Alien

Why reinvent the wheel, when your core business is not developing graphics engines? You want to leverage existing products and focus on your unique selling proposition.

15. GCCRacer

GCCRacer Simracer

Since I'm one of the High-End users (4K Single Screen on a RTX 2080S and i7-8700K) maybe I'm not getting the point, but from what I see the game runs with the same level of performance that other modern games on other modern engines exhibit on my machine.

It is definitley stressing the box as I had to adjust the cooling a bit just for this title, but the frames per second are par for the course of running 4K on a 2019 release.

Is it really that much worse for people running older hardware and medium/low settings (i.e. it doesn't scale down well?) or is mostly VR related? Honest question.

Personally I like the look of UE4 for racing titles, MotoGP19 looks pretty decent too with it.

SylverFyre and edcoronag like this.
  16. Pulley

Pulley Simracer

Hindsight is a wonderful thing, whether or not UE4 was the right choice for Kunos only they will truly know. It may well be that Epic pull their collective butts together and make headway with Racing Sims in mind, so in 2 years time this choice of engine could be proved to be fantastic for all.

On the other hand maybe it continues to be a struggle, as we perceive it from the outside that is, perhaps it's not as bad as people like to make out.

Personally i come from an age where Gameplay rules over Asthetics, I'd much rather have a smoother more optimised Sim with more fundamental Racing Features and lesser graphical quality than an all Bells & Whistles graphics Sim that runs poorly with barely any features.

But from what i see in ACC it does actually provide it all - The features and the Looks, so for me i hope Kunos stick to this engine, liase with Epic on how to improve it further and continue to put their own stamp on it, the same way Reiza will with the Madness Engine and AMS2.

Whatever happens I'm behind Kunos 100% of the way, it's their decision and I'll gladly trust in their judgement.

SylverFyre and Tim Larsen like this.
  17. chavalot

chavalot Rookie

"Whatever happens I'm behind Kunos 100% of the way, it's their decision and I'll gladly trust in their judgement."
    I think the same.

18. Serge M

Serge M Alien

I think you would build your own engine if you have intentions of licensing that engine out. Otherwise it would just add a heap of time to development. Remember that the unreal engine is 21 years old now... why not use something that has been refined over such a long time? I still remember the birth of Unreal, great games, and few if any had PC’s that could max them.

Building your own engine is in many ways like reinventing the wheel, where instead here you just want to simulate it :)

GCCRacer likes this.
  19. Jynnantonix

Jynnantonix Simracer

If UE4 could adjust graphics settings in terms of overall quality rather than view distance I think that would be a big win. My biggest gripe with the graphics is this damn Shadow line that disappears 20 meters in front. And trees and things popping into existence. It's so immersion breaking. I find it weird that an engine does it like this at all and not just change textures and shadows globally

Fear, Racert46 and f.e.negroni like this.
  20. f.e.negroni

f.e.negroni Racer

I’ve seen this in most FPS games where the pace of movement is slow, or when the detail is rather limited. I must admit it is awful in a driving game.

tjr likes this.