1. Do you need support for Assetto Corsa Competizione? Please use the proper forum below and ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Logs" folder in your c:\users\*youruser*\AppData\Local\AC2\Saved. The "AppData" folder is hidden by default, check "Hidden items" in your Windows view properties. If you report a crash, ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Crashes" folder in the same directory. Do not post "I have the same issue" in an existing thread with a game crash, always open your own thread. Do not PM developers and staff members for personal troubleshooting and support.
  2. As part of our continuous maintenance and improvements to Assetto Corsa Competizione we will be releasing small updates on a regular basis during the esports season which might not go through the usual announcement process detailing the changes until a later version update where these changes will be listed retrospectively.
  3. If ACC doesn't start with an error or the executable is missing, please add your entire Steam directory to the exceptions in your antivirus software, run a Steam integrity check or reinstall the game altogether. Make sure you add the User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione folder to your antivirus/Defender exceptions and exclude it from any file sharing app (GDrive, OneDrive or Dropbox)! The Corsair iCue software is also known to conflict with Input Device initialization, if the game does not start up and you have such devices, please try disabling the iCue software and try again. [file:unknown] [line: 95] secure crt: invalid error is a sign of antivirus interference, while [Pak chunk signing mismatch on chunk] indicates a corrupted installation that requires game file verification.
  4. When reporting an issue with saved games, please always zip and attach your entire User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione/Savegame folder, along with the logs and the crash folder (when reporting related to a crash).

Generic So it begins

Discussion in 'Console Lounge' started by Brownninja97, Feb 1, 2016.

1. SvenUilhoorn

SvenUilhoorn Racer

Oooh.. discussion... :D

1) I didn't say there was no interest, I pointed out why it's unlikely to me that Assetto Corsa will be a (huge) success on consoles and I only mentioned reasons that are based on the core design of racing games. I didn't mention wheel support nor need/interest for wheels.
    2) There are no racing sims on consoles because they're a niche market. Every time a sim (which I don't really consider pCars since it runs on an evolution of the Shift engine, entirely different discussion, was a pCars member since the first months yada yada..) launches on consoles they're not really a success compared to the AAA titles. Again, I never talked about wheel sales and/or ownership. pCars success is mostly based on marketing, which I don't think Kunos has the money for.
    3) I remember I was able to run both rFactor and iRacing years ago on a low/mid range pc (something that runs Photoshop/Illustrator and some AAA titles on medium, but not much more). It's actually the eye candy games my PC had difficulties with, not the simulators.
    4) in what way exactly is Assetto Corsa truly innovative? The (to me) most important part, physics, is far better than that of their competitors, but really innovative? It's in the details with Assetto, not in the genre/concept/controls/story/artstyle/etc or any combination of those.
    5) there's no doubt interest. I only wonder if Kunos can handle that "interest" a.k.a. the general console public. I just think Kunos is taking a big risk in having to handle that extra load of, ehh, constructive feedback.
    6) mostly not true, it matters to the developers, it just doesn't matter to the publisher. Most of the developers actually want to deliver the best game possible. Most publishers just want profit. Lots of profit. So I don't even think developers have uneasy, sleepless nights, I know they probably have them, having been in that position myself, albeit on a much smaller scale.
    7) regarding the "buy all the consoles of the price of one big GPU upgrade": a mid spec PC can runs most games pretty well at a higher framerate and resolution than most consoles anyway. No need to splurge unless you like to have the newest stuff.
    8) regarding "why they go down that road?". If it was done well, it might work, but exactly that "plug and play" nature of consoles turns many console gamers away from simulation games and their steep learning curves, the same steep learning curves that need to be overcome to build a PC by yourself if you're completely new to it and don't have anyone to do it for you.

Although I do base this on my thoughts, I've left my preferences at the door. It's mostly my experience and common sense: my major was based on game design, read a whole bunch of game design books and scientific articles (including how various companies actually test games), I graduated on playability of games, did lots of usability research before and after, and have been a host (7 years+) in a racing league on various titles. Until the release of the Xbox One, I hardly played games on my PC. I'm far from an expert, but I don't think (again, my thoughts ;) ) I'm a complete fool regarding this subject.

If you mind my lack of sources, please do come up with some sources yourself. And I'm not trolling, I'm actually wondering if there is any data, because I never see much, which includes data from my side.

EDIT: Appreciate the discussion by the way, instead of the usual less constructive comments made by some others :)

Seria17hri11er likes this.
  2. martcerv

martcerv Alien

Maybe you also misunderstood me as I was kind of ageeeing with you and disagreeing with some others.

Well sims are a niche market on pc too, they dont get the same sales as mainstream AAA titles. Im sure kunos isnt expecting to be the number 1 seller on console. I dont know the number of console users vs pc gamers but suspect console have a bigger gaming audience.

Even though there arent any better driving sims on consoles doesnt mean people that have them wouldnt want one in the same sort of percentages of pc gamers that buy a driving sim. I think console users seem to be stereotyped as all being the same and they only buy one type of game.

If nobody gives them something different to try then they surely wont get it. The one interesting thing is if AC is even a mild success on console this may inspire the console driving games into being more simulation orientated. You can see these titles Forza, Gran Tourismo and Pcars all try and target simmers with their marketing but dont really deliver beyond the marketing in terms of physics.

So clearly there must be some market for a more detailed driving simulation physics wise both on console and pc.

Horus likes this.
  3. PhilS13

PhilS13 Alien

It's a choice they make to "not deliver" on the physics. They make proper physics, sales plummet. They are well aware of that. You wanna sell a racing game to the masses you market it as a sim but you don't make it a sim, ever.

Most users want to be told what they drive is realistic but they don't wanna drive something realistic, that takes way too much effort.

LATE4APEX and SvenUilhoorn like this.
  4. kosh

kosh Racer

Pah ... plagiarism!!!

Here is the original!

LeSunTzu, WardogZ and Ace Pumpkin like this.
  5. mrk1001

mrk1001 Gamer

Altought I spent quite a bit of time playing old papyrus/crammond classics on PC on mid/late 90's, If weren't for console games such Forza, GT4, Race Driver 2/3, Enthusia and PGR 2 I would've never regain interest in Simracing around 2005/2006 and get into GT Legends and later GTR 2.

LeDude83 and Ace Pumpkin like this.
  6. AJ McDaddy

AJ McDaddy Simracer

Only reason why I upgraded my PC was for AC. I was purely a console racer (Forza) before, but looking for more realism. If AC was on the console before I upgraded my PC I'd have stayed with console sim. I probably would go back to it for convenience if I wasn't an administrator / AC league organiser of SDG. Ironically I may end up being both PC and console as I will probably be organising league racing on consoles at SDG as well..... I need to give up my day job!!!

xystof likes this.
  7. Deatroy

Deatroy Alien

I am wondering if Kunos can use the Power of the Async Compute Engines in the GPU of PS4/xbone, which gives them easily 15% more performance.
    http://gpunit.com/2016/01/27/asynchronous-compute-engines-aces-in-a-nutshell/
    http://www.ign.com/boards/threads/asyncs-compute-on-ps4-i’ve-heard-of-developers-getting-30.454573723/

Due that both consoles could/can reach "High" graphics. Hope Kunos can benefit from it.

8. Kubr0

Kubr0 Racer

yup, cant wait to see how it will perform on my PS4. After having like 700 hrs in AC on my PC I guess I'll be able to spot the tiniest differences :D

9. bogani

bogani Simracer

It's not like the GT's and Forza's are like Mario Kart. There are still proper physics that dictates how much you can push the cars. It's obviously not as detailed and refined in physics as AC for example, but many people make it sound like these games have nothing to do with driving a car?

I also find it funny when people here give the impression that the console people won't be able to get around a single lap in AC as it is a proper sim and that makes driving a car soooooooo much harder. That's just total BS. The fact that it is a good sim makes the driving intuitive and basically anyone can hop in and enjoy driving straight away if you have the slitghtest idea of how a car works.

10. Patrik Marek

Patrik Marek Alien

can't agree more

bogani likes this.
  11. AJ McDaddy

AJ McDaddy Simracer

Very well said sir!

bogani likes this.
  12. LilSki

LilSki Alien

100% true. I drive with a gamepad everyday when testing my tracks. yes I have a full rig as well but I don't feel like getting in it each time I need to test something. AC works just fine with a gamepad.

mrk1001 and Alexandr66 like this.
  13. gregack

gregack Racer

How will the FFB be like? I mean I am aware that Kunos tries to transfer the physics and FFB 1:1 to the consoles, but they don't have any profilers for their Logitech/Thrustmaster/Fanatec-equipment right? So afaik almost everybody here changed something in the profilers/drivers (dampening, spring-effect etc.) to find good settings and in my opinion this is very important to get the most out if the physics/FFB.

14. Brownninja97

Brownninja97 Alien

;)

Horus likes this.
  15. *.zip

*.zip Rookie

Definitely hoping console fans love & support A.C. Wouldn't mind their extra support of the title, as I'm sure Kunos doesn't either. Heh heh

16. boabmatic

boabmatic Hardcore Simmer

I'm looking forward to it on xbox :)

I've always had wheels with consoles.. (and a wheelstand pro which I got wayback when they first released them)
    PS3 - Logitech driving force pro then G27 ,
    xbox 360 - that crappy microsoft wheel with no force feedback ,
    xbox one - thustmaster TX + 599 evo rim , TH8a shifter and G27 pedals (with ricmotech adapter)

I dabbled with PC gaming in the past but felt I spent more time messing about with the PC than actually playing the games :)

I currently don't have a PC anymore as I use a high spec macbook pro as my main machine for DJing/Music production etc...do have it dual booting with Win10 and bought project Cars which played around 50fps Medium/high settings but ended up buying it on xbox as I preferred just sticking my wheelstandpro in front of the 55inch tv and playing.

consoles have had sim racer titles in the past with Ferrari challenge (basically simbin's GTR) and on the 360 Race pro which was again developed by simbin.

GT and forza are a bit more simcade but think that is more to do with them making it compatible with a controller but using them with a decent wheel with no assists reduces the arcadeyness.
    Always preferred GT over forza but currently only got a xbox 1 running.

So playing dirt rally , Project Cars and a bit of Forza 6 but the poor force feedback on that means it doesn't get as much play time.

Assetto Corsa will fit nicely into this list... just waiting for my pre-order to ship.

17. mister dog

mister dog Alien

It will be vital to release a game that is more or less issue-free. Both Driveclub and PCARS had big issues when they launched and immediately it tarnished their rep quite severely.

My impression of Kunos is that this team is really dedicated to releasing a quality product. They can get very anal that way (which is a good thing). I spend a lot of time on the GTP forum and assessing the overal mood there, people seem a bit disillusioned about what Gran Turismo sport will offer, so Assetto Corsa has the perfect chance and timeframe to jump in front and gain a chunk of the market share there.

Looking forward at how it will turn out, as i'm positive that many will not want to downgrade anymore after experiencing the driving in AC. I have no experience with beginner aids or controller support but i see those 2 things as vital too in order to reach out to the casual gamers on both PS4 and Xbone.

In any case, i wish the team good luck for their console release [​IMG]

Scuderia Paul and tommi karsikas like this.