1. Do you need support for Assetto Corsa Competizione? Please use the proper forum below and ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Logs" folder in your c:\users\*youruser*\AppData\Local\AC2\Saved. The "AppData" folder is hidden by default, check "Hidden items" in your Windows view properties. If you report a crash, ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Crashes" folder in the same directory. Do not post "I have the same issue" in an existing thread with a game crash, always open your own thread. Do not PM developers and staff members for personal troubleshooting and support.
  2. As part of our continuous maintenance and improvements to Assetto Corsa Competizione we will be releasing small updates on a regular basis during the esports season which might not go through the usual announcement process detailing the changes until a later version update where these changes will be listed retrospectively.
  3. If ACC doesn't start with an error or the executable is missing, please add your entire Steam directory to the exceptions in your antivirus software, run a Steam integrity check or reinstall the game altogether. Make sure you add the User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione folder to your antivirus/Defender exceptions and exclude it from any file sharing app (GDrive, OneDrive or Dropbox)! The Corsair iCue software is also known to conflict with Input Device initialization, if the game does not start up and you have such devices, please try disabling the iCue software and try again. [file:unknown] [line: 95] secure crt: invalid error is a sign of antivirus interference, while [Pak chunk signing mismatch on chunk] indicates a corrupted installation that requires game file verification.
  4. When reporting an issue with saved games, please always zip and attach your entire User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione/Savegame folder, along with the logs and the crash folder (when reporting related to a crash).

Generic Some Anticipated it: Has Project Cars 2 killed AC on console?

Discussion in 'Console Lounge' started by @P73, Sep 25, 2017.

1. @P73

@P73 Simracer

I had decided to not buy PCars 2 after what I experienced with PCars 1. But after reading many positive comments by Assetto Corsa users in the Chit Chat section of this forum, I decided to give it a go. I bitterly regret it now after spending my weekend on it, and wonder why so many positive comments were posted there. Could the PC version be any different from the one I've got on my Xbox? I Don't know, but fact is I don't like PCars 2 for the reasons I'll point out below.

Just to make it clear, it's true I initially had no intention to buy this game before being influenced by some views that sounded honest. But my negative opinion after buying it has nothing to do with confirmation bias, since I had only reasons to want it to be good: I bought the digital version, so no refund. Besides, it would be nice to have another good title with which to play on console.

That said, here are a few of the many negative aspects I've found in this game:

- FFB continues to be very uninformative, only a bit more of weight has been added to it;
    - Catching oversteer / understeer is a hard task. Spinning without a clue is a norm. Trying to avoid it is only possible through visual input and memory from past incidents. (By the way, the FFB settings I'm using now are: "Informative" / Gain = 95 / Volume, Tone, FX = 50 / Spring = 0,40. In fact, I've tried many other different combinations, with no big difference in outcome. I use no assists).
    - Braking is a huge torment. It's hard to avoid constant locks for severe lack of FFB communication.
    - Physics aren't also much better than before, maybe just slightly improved. Even the best cars (GT3s) often behave strangely, to say nothing of the worst. Take the Zonda Cinque as an example: Simply disgraceful physics. I wonder why this otherwise great car has been added to the game in such a state. Overall, the physics in PCars 2 doesn't feel to me much superior even to that I experienced in Forza 7's demo.
    - Speaking of visuals, I found it's considerably inferior to AC on Xbox atm. Image definition is very poor in some circuits I tried and I've even noticed FPS drops, none of the 'locked 60' miracle some were expecting. You can even find 'flying cones' here and there, cones literally hanging in the air. But these latter issues are of course easily patchable and of smaller importance.

On the positive side, here are some of the improvements I noticed:

- Track surface and kerbs are now felt through FFB.
    - Some new circuits I didn't know, such as Algarve, are really nice. Pity the game doesn't do them full justice, because of the above mentioned issues.
    - Menus are now much better looking than that shambles in PCars1. Much better organised and easier to navigate.

Opinions are naturally subjective, but I'm being really honest. In essence, PCars 2 seems to me a simple repackaging of the original, with no substancial improvements. Of what is new, there's nothing that couldn't maybe have been implemented or added with a few patches and DLCs. If the game I tried was a demo, I wouldn't have bought it even when it was on sale.

To conclude, the opening question: Has PCars 2 killed AC on console? Quite the opposite, I think. Those who really appreciate the core aspects of driving and were expecting a totally renewed PCars version, will now probably appreciate AC even more; maybe it will be a long while before anyone surpasses or gets even close to AC's driving feel on consoles, if ever.

On the other hand, those who care for things other than an excellent driving / racing experience per se, may have found their peace in PCars 2. It's got an excellent career mode, leaderboards and better multiplayer, in spite of all.

All in all, I would risk saying AC is alive and well after what I've seen from PCars 2, a title that was supposed to be highly promising but, as I see it, once more just hasn't lived up to expectations. It's good to have Assetto Corsa to fall back on.

ShredatorFIN, Tomcul, Mugs and 16 others like this.

2. Similar Threads
    Forum Title Date
    ACC General Discussions An official Assetto Corsa discord server please. (iracing, raceroom, and gt7 has one) Mar 16, 2024
    ACC Troubleshooting Fatal error! on version 1.9.8 (the UE4 AC2 Game has crashed...) Mar 9, 2024
    ACC Troubleshooting The UE4-AC2 Game has crashed and will close Line 95 [SOLVED] Feb 26, 2024
    ACC Troubleshooting Assetto Corsa Competizione UE4-AC2 Game has crashed and will close. Feb 25, 2024
    ACC Troubleshooting The UE4-AC2 Game has crashed and will close Dec 2, 2023
    ACC Troubleshooting The UE4-AC2 Game has crashed and will close - Fatal Error Oct 22, 2023
    ACC Troubleshooting UE4-AC2 Game has crashed.. Oct 8, 2023
    ACC Physics Why the Ferrari 296 has no suspension? Aug 20, 2023
    ACC Troubleshooting The UE4-AC2 Game has crashed and will close - Fatal error! Jul 22, 2023
    ACC PS4/PS5/XB1/XBX/S General Discussions IXR has League Nights on Friday's 7:30pm BST Jun 18, 2023
    ACC Troubleshooting CLOSED: UE4-AC2 Game has crashed and will close Jun 7, 2023
    ACC Troubleshooting The UE4-AC2 Game has crashed and will close May 18, 2023
    ACC Troubleshooting Error UE4-AC2 game has crashed and will ..... May 11, 2023
    ACC Troubleshooting The UE4-AC2 Game has crashed and will close, text: Fatal error! Apr 28, 2023
    ACC Tools ACC Dedicated Server GUI has been updated to version 1.4.3.0 Apr 19, 2023

3. gandlers

gandlers Hardcore Simmer

You almost sound surprised by this!
    They were crowd funding days after the release of PCars1 for the sequel, ready to milk the cash cow again.
    I fell for it with PCars1 , believing the hype, not realising it was a re branded NFS Shi(f)t .

LeDude83 likes this.
  4. If you head over to the Project Cars forums they have (Ian Bell) issued a statement about ffb problems on various wheels and will be issuing a patch shortly to address. Can you believe that after the mess with PC1 they yet again sent the console versions to 3rd party to test! Talk about not learning from your mistakes with the first game. Like with most games these days unfortunately you have to wait for patch 3/4 before it feels like a finished product. AC itself has felt like a beta until 1.14 and 1.15. That's just how the gaming world is these days. I bought the ultimate edition at £75 digitally but I have faith that in a couple of months we will have a great game on our hands. I still find most of the cars drivable at least so it isn't ruining my enjoyment.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

@P73 and LeDude83 like this.
  5. Scuderia Paul

Scuderia Paul Hardcore Simmer

PCars2 has not killed my interest in Assetto Corsa. As a package PC2 is in a different league to AC to the point where by comparing them you will only embarrass AC. However, after spending the last 3 evenings tinkering with the PC2 FFB settings on my T300RS on PS4 I have now gone to a controller as the experience has been horrendous. Here, AC totally embarrasses PC2 with not only it's plug and play brilliance but the vastly superior FFB. Hopefully v1.04 sorts the issues out as there is a hell of a lot of game to enjoy in PC2 due to the huge feature offering. I will continue to play with the DS4 but doing so feels like I am tolerating the game as opposed to enjoying it.

Dealing with this crap situation has only highlighted just how brilliant AC actually is. As a PS4 T300RS user, this experience only drives home the point that features are nothing without the gameplay.

6. Kaaarp

Kaaarp Racer

If they can't sort out the FFB irregularities and borked AI then I don't see the point of PC2.

Sure, there are nice shiny things to like but if it hasn't even caught up with ACs physics then I can't imagine wanting to spend much time on the road before switching back to AC (even with its seemingly inexplicable console-only limitations).

7. monkiusz

monkiusz Gamer

After buying PC2 for ps4 I tried the same combo of cars & tracks in AC and after short session... I ended with a season pass and R2R DLC for AC. :D

8. TheRealJuralumin

TheRealJuralumin Simracer

So glad to see other people who feel the same way as me. I was actually really excited for the game, I didn’t like PC1 but all the marketing and reviews had led me to believe they had fixed all the problems, and this was an entirely new and better experience. But when I played it I was bitterly disappointed, it’s basically just like a big update for PC1, but it runs worse. I got it digitally on PS4 too so no refund for me either.

I play with a regular DS4 (Can’t afford/have no room for a wheel) and while I managed to find a good setup in AC that felt comfortable and helped me to be fairly competitive with my driving, in PC2 I couldn’t find anything that worked. I tried messing around with the settings myself, and I tried several recommended settings, but it seems most pad players don’t like the same kind of controls that I do (The kind that require sensitive input, but allow for total control) so there’s not a lot of support in this category. I also experienced a lot of the gameplay problems OP mentions, with he lock up and stupid oversteer, it got me so agitated that I genuinely deleted the game from my PS4 in pure frustration (since re-downloaded it).

The thing that irked me the most was the performance, it runs like complete garbage! Constant screen tearing, unstable frame rate that ranges from 60 to 30 to low the 20’s! It reminds of those PS3 versions you can get of PS4 games, just terrible!

@P73 likes this.
  9. DozUK

DozUK Gamer

I personally think Pcars 2 is really good. The physics are much improved and the live track is great. It has lots of cars, lots of tracks, weather and seasons and plays well.

I count myself lucky that I have two great racing games to play depending on my mood.

10. TheRealJuralumin

TheRealJuralumin Simracer

Just want to correct myself. Turns out I had no internet connection when I was playing it, so it was completely un-patched. Essentially kind of broken. It’s running okay now, not amazing or anything, but not like garbage. I reckon it’ll get better, I might as well learn to like it since I can’t get my money back. But i’m still really getting frustrated with the controls and most of the gameplay.

@P73 likes this.
  11. jelydonut

jelydonut Rookie

Glad to hear some feedback on the FFB. Especially for a T300RS. Looks like until someone says something otherwise, I will hold out buying it. The first one I actually spent more time trying to get the FFB half decent than racing, gave up, and never touched it again.

12. Clearly Assetto is better for many points :

Views are better, handling is just unbeatable (how good it feels when you can catch the under/oversteer)
    No, definitly AC is ****ing better.

and i've got PC2

robbosr76 likes this.
  13. Sohail_16

Sohail_16 Gamer

I regret buying pc2. Lol just try the same cars on the same tracks. Feel like night and day.

Ace Pumpkin, MaxStrong01 and @P73 like this.
  14. Reinart86

Reinart86 Racer

The hype train crashed and burned with full capacity again. It's funny and sad at the same time.

magzire and MaxStrong01 like this.
  15. Scuderia Paul

Scuderia Paul Hardcore Simmer

I got a new and much better FFB set-up from a guy on GT Planet and PCars2 now feels better. While it is a positive step PCars2 is still no Assetto Corsa when it comes to FFB.

16. Could you share it?

17. ChrisR

ChrisR Alien

I signed up for the hype in pcars 1

Now i get a quarterly paymens from wmd into paypal, usually about 11/13 euros.

I could buy both pc1 and pc2 with the money ive received now.

18. Graveltrap

Graveltrap Alien

I haven't bought Project Cars 2 as of yet, I am following the action on the official forums but will probably wait for a patch or two to arrive first and hopefully a price drop before making a purchase...

The biggest draw for me is the volume of UK tracks, I really do miss Oulton and Donington...

paul_wev and Larryf1951 like this.
  19. kofotsjanne

kofotsjanne Alien

project cars 2? I like it!

vegaguy 5555, ElPueblo and paul_wev like this.
  20. Ciccina2016

Ciccina2016 Simracer

it my opinion it has killed AC.
    Yes, the ffb is way better in AC but PC2 is better of AC in a lot of things and please don't forget that this is just the first version .. it will improve.. do we remember how AC was for console at the beginning?
    AC is incomplete for console .
    PC2 is designed since the beginning for console gamers . PERIOD.

I will not play it anymore till they decide to give us exactly the same functionality PC gamers have. DOUBLE PERIOD.

Bultaco85 likes this.
  21. Ciccina2016

Ciccina2016 Simracer

do you play it on console? if so can you pass me the settings :D