1. Do you need support for Assetto Corsa Competizione? Please use the proper forum below and ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Logs" folder in your c:\users\*youruser*\AppData\Local\AC2\Saved. The "AppData" folder is hidden by default, check "Hidden items" in your Windows view properties. If you report a crash, ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Crashes" folder in the same directory. Do not post "I have the same issue" in an existing thread with a game crash, always open your own thread. Do not PM developers and staff members for personal troubleshooting and support.
  2. As part of our continuous maintenance and improvements to Assetto Corsa Competizione we will be releasing small updates on a regular basis during the esports season which might not go through the usual announcement process detailing the changes until a later version update where these changes will be listed retrospectively.
  3. If ACC doesn't start with an error or the executable is missing, please add your entire Steam directory to the exceptions in your antivirus software, run a Steam integrity check or reinstall the game altogether. Make sure you add the User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione folder to your antivirus/Defender exceptions and exclude it from any file sharing app (GDrive, OneDrive or Dropbox)! The Corsair iCue software is also known to conflict with Input Device initialization, if the game does not start up and you have such devices, please try disabling the iCue software and try again. [file:unknown] [line: 95] secure crt: invalid error is a sign of antivirus interference, while [Pak chunk signing mismatch on chunk] indicates a corrupted installation that requires game file verification.
  4. When reporting an issue with saved games, please always zip and attach your entire User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione/Savegame folder, along with the logs and the crash folder (when reporting related to a crash).

Some thoughts from Marco Massarutto

Discussion in 'Chit Chat Room' started by Michael Hornbuckle, Dec 25, 2013.

1. A post Marco made a little earlier at Race Department..It needs to be here also:

Hello everybody

I'm Marco Massarutto, Producer and Licensing Manager of Assetto Corsa. First of all, let me thank you for your kind support, that is the fuel that allows us to continue to do the job we love. Assetto Corsa has been welcomed in a way that exceeded our best expectations, and we'll thank you for this in the best way we can. If you will have a bit of patience. :)

Here I've read everything and its opposite. When I start to feel disappointed or sad for some comments, I force me to remember how I was at the times of Grand Prix 3, F1 Racing Simulation and so on when, being a gamer, I wasn't directly involved in this business. Therefore I can't get angry with you, because I understand that sometime it's easy to jump to conclusions when you can't know the facts but you can just imagine how they could be.

Therefore, for the first time, let me bring you behind the scenes. Would you like to follow me for few minutes? Let's go.

I'll go straight to the point, so please don't get me wrong, I will try just to explain our point of view in the simplest way.

- Lot of complains about additional contents are not so reasonable, for a simple reason: Assetto Corsa is moddable, and people who don't like to purchase additional contents, can make their favorite tracks and cars or wait that someone else produce a mod that they like to download. For free. Simple, clear, FAIR.

- Assetto Corsa 1.0 will include all the elements needed for a good and complete racing/gaming experience. We'll not force anyone to buy an additional feature or content that is needed to use the game. Nordschleife is not "needed", nor it has never been mentioned or scheduled as part of Assetto Corsa 1.0. I don't understand why to complain about DLC preorder before the availability of the full game, because this is just an unfair lie, not the truth: if I'm wrong please show me the pre-order button for Nordschleife.

- We must collect new licenses before the end of the year, in order to allocate the budget to pay the licensing rights and produce the contents, BEFORE THE TAXES. MORE TAXES, LESS CONTENTS. Simple, clair (not fair, but not depending by us). In addition, each car needs 8-10 weeks to be produced, an average track requires 3-5 months to be produced. That's why we program our production and communication activities (I'll be back on this matter later) with so much advance.

- "Kunos might use the resources needed for Nordschleife for other 2-3 tracks".

Now, just a short digression: I read something like "I'm bored to race on the same tracks in all games, I would prefer to race to some good, unknown and new tracks".

Let me ask you: if you were a developer, and you need to PAY a lot of money IN ADVANCE to create tracks for your game, would you choose those tracks that people knows and - you are sure enough- they will like, or would you bet to invest for contents that are unknown for 80% of your potential audience? Because the matter isn't "In a perfect world I would like to", but "ok, I will risk a LOT of money here: what I will do?"

Yes, because the truth that a lot of people don't know, is that when we talk about licensing rights, royalties and fee to pay, all this money is required to be paid in ADVANCE, BEFORE the game is released, and it doesn't matter if the game sells or not. Money paid, is gone. Even if a licensing agreement is based on a royalty on sales, you must pay an advance minimum guarantee that usually already covers large part of the total royalties forecasted. Now, let's multiply this operation for 36 cars (mmh wait, 36? I knew cars of 1.0 were 35... :D) and you get the same money that you might use to buy a mansion in the Pacific Coast: and I'm talking just about rights: after you paid for the rights, you still have to cover the production costs.

Said that:

1. We asked to people about the track they would like to have in AC, Nordschleife has been the most voted track: easy, clear, fair. If you voted for something else, I'm sorry but as developer I must keep my company on the market and I must hear the masses: considering that we make simulations and not arcade games, we have already showed to love the simracing community and we don't have to demonstrate it again each time we do something new. So: 90% voted for Nordschleife and 1% for your favorite one? Sorry pal, see you next time.

"Kunos might use the resources needed for Nordschleife for other 2-3 tracks"

2. People who say the statement above does know the REAL costs involved? Or it's just an estimation based on Kms? Let me tell you that some track companies asked for their license 3 times the amount needed for Nordschleife. If I tell you which tracks I'm talking about, you will never believe me, or you will and you start to laugh for hours.

3. WIth other tracks, the cost asked to rent the circuit for the survey is bigger than how we'll spend for Nordschleife. I can continue for hours, if you like.

Said that, Why a so big announcement about the Nordschleife? Well, where to start..some thousands of people who were at Nordschleife last saturday to save the Ring might answer you. Our answer is: for thousands of race enthusiasts all around the world, this is THE track: maybe YOU who are reading don't like the Nordschleife and no one can criticize you for that. Does everyone like Ferrari? Lamborghini? Monza? No.

But our huge announcement about Nordschleife is for all THOSE thousands of people in the world WHO love it, for all those people who, since when we announced Assetto Corsa in 2011 showing that the tracks included were based on LS technology, started to ask to us about the inclusion of Nordschleife every day.

For all of them, the Nordschleife laserscan based IN Assetto Corsa, is THE news. And that's enough for us.

It's like when we announced the Ferrari license and some commented "Ferrari license? Meh, who cares, I like "X"". Well, let me reveal you a secret: the announce isn't for YOU: is for all those people who like Ferraris. ;)

About our marketing strategy and communication:

We don't have a publisher: we are our publisher. Usually, for each Eur spent for the game production, a publisher invests 5 Eur in advertsing. During that development of AC we could not do it. Why? Because if we had spent 5 times in advertising rather than in contents, there would be no contents. :)

And, as surely you understand, you can make the best product in the world (in general, I'm not talking about AC), but if nobody knows it, you will sell some items to your parents, you uncles, friends, then you close, buy a newspaper and look for job announcements. :D

How an indipendent company with low resources can make a game like AC and let people to know it without advertising? In 2 words: quality (as best as we can) and communication. At international Auto Expos, Car brands present and show models that will be available 1 or 2 years later. We are not more or less smart the BMW, Mercedes-Benz or any other.

Communication is our strategy, to keep our resources to develop contents instead of banners: you can't find Assetto Corsa advertsing on the internet but a lot of people talk about it. On Facebook, Youtube, and so on. You find videos that compare a game made by 10 people with Gran Turismo 6 and Forza 5, made by companies with budget and resources hundreds of times bigger than KUNOS. Yes, it looks to me that our strategy works fine. ;)

Now, tell me: do you prefer that in 2014, after 1.0 release, KUNOS invests in new contents or in advertsing? Advertsing might be much better for us, let me tell you why:

1. we pay and other people make the job: the game is done, we advertise and enjoy our earnings

2. spending the same money, we reach much more people than with the Nordschleife and 10 additional cars

3. I don't have to spend for production of contents, releases, nor I have to invest money and time in betatesting, manpower and so on

4. Crossed arms, we enjoy our earnings and let the modders do their job.

5. I spend in advertsing today, I will see results in 10 days instead of in 10 weeks or more (contents)

Please note: it's not a threat nor a blackmail. It's a list of available and realistic options.

Now, let me tell you why we want to stay focused on contents rather than in advertsing: because AC is our life. We have done it for ourself and to share what we love with as much as people as possible, and not JUST to make money: if we just wanted to make money, you wouldn't have Ferraris in the game and we'll keep much money in our pockets. AC is AC with or without Ferraris, exactly how iRacing doesn't need Ferrari to be a value sim.

But, and now probably I will shock someone, we need money. YES: I MUST CONFESS and I apologise for that but, as well as 7 other billions of people, we need money for living. :)

The concept is very simple: without netKar PRO, FVA wouldn't exist. Without FVA, AC wouldn't exist. And, without the mistakes made with netKar PRO, Assetto Corsa wouldn't be so appreciated. And the best is yet to come.

So, at the end: when you don't like a news, an announcement, a feature, a drag race, a car brand, you are absolutely welcome. We are already happy for the simple fact that you might take Assetto Corsa in consideration: but, when you don't like or understand a feature or a content, don't waste too much time to complain for that, because that feature or content maybe is not for you: but for other thousands of people out there. ;)

On our side, we can only continue to do our best: sometime we'll get right, sometime we'll get wrong. But I leave you with these clues:

2011 - "Featuring that kind of graphics, no way for AC to be a simulation"

2012 - "Featuring that kind of licenses, no way for AC to be a simulation" (2012)

2012 - "Featuring the Ferrari license, they must sell milions copies, so let's forget that AC will be a simulation"

2013 - "What I said? AC is an arcade, now it's clear".(after the release of the 458 GT2 video) :D

2013 - "They will not release nothing this year, typical italian style"

2013 - "They don't release official footage because their screenshots are photoshopped"

2013 - "They had released just the 458, the other Ferrari will be released as DLC, I'm pretty sure about it"

2013 - "No way that they will get the Nordschleife license and that it will be laserscanned"

Now I'm ready to collect other funny stuff on December 31. ;)

Thank you guys, your support is very, very appreciated: we would like to organize a party when we'll go to Nordschleife next Spring and we would love to meet you there, having fun, some laps and then (but only then :D) lot of beer together.

HAVE FUN!

2. Similar Threads
    Forum Title Date
    Chit Chat Room Marco massarutto's thoughts on rain Oct 6, 2014
    ACC PS4/PS5/XB1/XBX/S General Discussions New PS5 gameplay thoughts Feb 22, 2022
    ACC Virtual Reality About pull the pin - latest thoughts on best VR headset for ACC? Nov 5, 2021
    ACC PS4/PS5/XB1/XBX/S General Discussions Your thoughts since release Jul 25, 2021
    ACC PS4/PS5/XB1/XBX/S General Discussions Creating Fuel Strategy Spreadsheet, any thoughts on features? Dec 23, 2020
    ACC PS4/PS5/XB1/XBX/S General Discussions Some thoughts about ACC (laughing or crying?) Jun 26, 2020
    ACC Controls & Peripherals Thoughts on degrees of rotation Jun 10, 2020
    ACC Graphics - Tracks and Cars Thoughts on an Application like Trading Paints May 23, 2020
    ACC Gameplay Just finished a full length Bathurst 12 hour, and I have some thoughts Feb 13, 2020
    ACC Gameplay 1.05 - Why I don't drive ACC regularly - Single Player thoughts Jul 6, 2019
    ACC General Discussions Morning thoughts (off the wheel) May 24, 2019
    ACC Gameplay AI Issues/Thoughts Apr 14, 2019
    ACC Gameplay AI thoughts after 0.6.4 Mar 14, 2019
    ACC General Discussions AI thoughts (skill & aggressiveness @ 100) Mar 6, 2019
    ACC General Discussions Build 5 Thoughts Jan 6, 2019

3. Skybird

Skybird Alien

I just had read it via your link to it in the other thread.

All sound reason in that post. It's a good team they have there.

4. Jdz

Jdz Rookie

It is saddening that Marco had to write that post but it's great that KS aren't invisible to us. Can really appreciate what he wrote though, a great sense that Assetto Corsa really is a labour of love for the entire team!

5. rampagebke

rampagebke Rookie

before people can complain,they should first learn how world goes.......Thanks Kunos,these are some sincere words you posted

AndrejS and fratennis109 like this.
  6. CTR69

CTR69 Racer

TL;DR Kunos is the best and it's starting to take over the Star Citizen and Elite Dangerous development updates, which i also keep an eye on. If AC continues this way, i'll have to sell my TM warthog to buy a better wheel and it would totally be worth it!

If people have money for 1000$ PCs, why is 15-20 euros for DLC such a big deal?

baliwa, BMASTER, kalabaleek and 5 others like this.
  7. Joao Alves

Joao Alves Racer

Glad to see they have sound reason and good heads on their shoulders. I hope they keep on with what they're doing, and continue to have the backing to deliver this great work.

8. rampagebke

rampagebke Rookie

Because their parents runned out of money.....to be honest,in my case,since i earn only 200$ a month here where i live,i've made some sacrifices to buy the game,40$ means alot,but still im not complaining about additional DLC's and stuff.And to be honest,if you realize how much love and work is involved in creating the game,you cannot complain,you don't have the rights to complain.But it's a free world,if you don't like to pay for something,you don't have to,there will always be a second chance .

HackMac and UOPshadow like this.
  9. CTR69

CTR69 Racer

Agree, instead of taking a break on Christmas, he has to explain himself to trolls, but this only shown their dedication to the AC project.

HackMac and Bill Wiskins like this.
  10. Simon Roberts

Simon Roberts Simracer

And lets not forget today is Christmas day and we / they are on the forums communicating with us!

Racing_34 likes this.
  11. Shaddix

Shaddix Alien

Atleast they know/see that the important fanbase is trusting Kunos.
    **** the whiners, probably the guy who want Forza Asetto Mix from Kunos..
    I hope i can join the spring party at Nordschleife next spring :)

12. Dori

Dori Hardcore Simmer

It's nice they care enough to explain them selves, even when child like *****les have unrealistic expectations.

silicijevadolina likes this.
  13. Andrew McP

Andrew McP Gamer

It is always amusing when the sim racing community's 'children' get upset by this feature or that bug or a simple pricing decision. For us, as consumers, these are just products; we either like them or we don't, and the worst thing that happens is we spend more money than we'd like on software, or content, we ultimately don't enjoy.

For the developers, whether we're talking about AC, iRacing, rF2, pCARS or even Codemasters, this is what puts the food on the table for their families. They have a much, much, much bigger stake in the success of their work than any of us will ever have. So it's always ridiculous when users go overboard over issues which annoy them.

Welcome to life; it can be annoying! :) Sure, it's natural to be passionate about things we love, but before venting enough bile to float an aircraft carrier we should count our blessings. We are so lucky that all these developers get out of bed every day, shake off the troubles and concerns we all have, and go to work doing something they hope will amaze us.

I'm going to raise what's left of my post-Xmas dinner glass of port to all the Marcos of this world. Thank you, and Merry Christmas. 2014 is going to be amazing, whichever sim we feel most comfortable driving. I'm now going to keep drinking port until I fall asleep contemplating throwing the 599xx around the Nordschleife.

In 2015? ;-)

14. claudiopolez

claudiopolez Simracer

Merry Christmas to Marco, Aris and Co!

Guys, never let vocal forumites make you doubt your dream and your calculated plans that are based on actual economics and market research. Your approach is 100% spot on, even without the voting thing which is biased to the minority that use this forum anyway. The ring is an amazing catch, congratulations! Merry Xmas and Happy New Year!

geololj likes this.
  15. Doug

Doug Racer

Merry Christmas Team Kunos! :)

16. shogel

shogel Racer

I'LL BE THERE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D

17. Booster

Booster Racer

it seems that the message from Massaruto is honest and clear.

you have shown passion and skill, come on guys keep it up ;)

18. Kunos is doing things very well, so ignore people with complaints of children. Most of the communitiy is very happy.

About absurds complaints in my country we say: donkey does not know what to do with the tail kills flies.

Happy day !!!

19. Cote Dazur

Cote Dazur Alien

@ Michael: Thank you for posting this message here.:)

@ Marco: Thank you for taking the time to explain, even if you did not have to, it shows how much you respect us.
    Thank you and your team for AC and all the extra steps you take to keep us entertained, looking forward to share your passion in 2014 and in the years to come.
    I hope that 2014 will bring you and your team a lot of success and satisfaction.
    Merry Christmas and Happy New Year.:D

20. r3ck0n

r3ck0n Racer

I am VERY saddened after reading all that up there^^, that KUNOS STILL doesn't get what they did "wrong" in the Nordschliefe announcement.

GUYS, just don't over hype releases or announcements anymore: YOUR GAME IS AMAZING, YOU DON'T NEED TO!

I have absolutely NO problem with spending money on THIS GAME, it's better than anything else out there, and it's still just an expanded tech demo at this stage! (can't wait to see whats coming down the pipe!)

The entire problem with the Nords announcement was the way KUNOS delivered the news, that's it.

We still love you guys, but please stop with the sensationalism, it's just not needed with what is probably the best product of it's type on earth right now.

Now, lets get back to racing! ;)

Hanzales, eton, Delqvs and 1 other person like this.
  21. Raymond

Raymond Racer

I didn't want to bring this up and have people think I was making a negative comment. I would just like to believe that AC's user base is much bigger than what I believe is a small vocal sim community that visits this forum. However in saying all this... this is the only data they have to work from, but I would take any information gathered here with a grain of salt as it comes from a very specific focus group.

I do appreciate that Marco took the time to post and though I did not agree with everything he said I can appreciate where he is coming from, as he has his own agenda. And before you jump all over me, I am old and have always been good at my job and for a time I was lured into a marketing role with a major publisher. So I do have a sense of what happens behind the scenes, though not in Italy or specifically the sim software business.

I think it is important that they continue to allow the community to voice their opinions whether they agree or not. We all have some. I am just disappointed that just because you do not agree with someone there are people within the community that feels the need to attack them.

Anyway... I wish that everyone is having a great Christmas of course an equally wonderful New Years.