1. Do you need support for Assetto Corsa Competizione? Please use the proper forum below and ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Logs" folder in your c:\users\*youruser*\AppData\Local\AC2\Saved. The "AppData" folder is hidden by default, check "Hidden items" in your Windows view properties. If you report a crash, ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Crashes" folder in the same directory. Do not post "I have the same issue" in an existing thread with a game crash, always open your own thread. Do not PM developers and staff members for personal troubleshooting and support.
  2. As part of our continuous maintenance and improvements to Assetto Corsa Competizione we will be releasing small updates on a regular basis during the esports season which might not go through the usual announcement process detailing the changes until a later version update where these changes will be listed retrospectively.
  3. If ACC doesn't start with an error or the executable is missing, please add your entire Steam directory to the exceptions in your antivirus software, run a Steam integrity check or reinstall the game altogether. Make sure you add the User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione folder to your antivirus/Defender exceptions and exclude it from any file sharing app (GDrive, OneDrive or Dropbox)! The Corsair iCue software is also known to conflict with Input Device initialization, if the game does not start up and you have such devices, please try disabling the iCue software and try again. [file:unknown] [line: 95] secure crt: invalid error is a sign of antivirus interference, while [Pak chunk signing mismatch on chunk] indicates a corrupted installation that requires game file verification.
  4. When reporting an issue with saved games, please always zip and attach your entire User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione/Savegame folder, along with the logs and the crash folder (when reporting related to a crash).

SPA GT3 WR with keyboard on RSR.

Discussion in 'Chit Chat Room' started by Bo-Göran Larsson, Apr 8, 2016.

1. Bo-Göran Larsson

Bo-Göran Larsson Hardcore Simmer

What do you guys think off this? Should it be possible?

2. Similar Threads
    Forum Title Date
    ACC Online Leagues / Championships room New GT3 Spanish championship 2023 on ACC registration open Jan 10, 2023
    ACC Physics Max Fuel in Shared Memory is Wrong for Porsche 911 GT3 @ Spa Franchorchamps May 10, 2022
    ACC Troubleshooting 1.8.5 Game hangs on loading screen (Spa 49 AI GT3 grid) + possible memory leak Dec 2, 2021
    ACC Screenshots & Videos ACC | SPA - Wet (Rain) | Hot Lap | Ferrari 488 GT3 Evo - 2:33.816 Aug 30, 2021
    ACC Online Leagues / Championships room [ACC][PC][GT3] ACRL 12 Hours of Spa| 12th June May 12, 2021
    Screens & Videos Hotlap | 2:16:908 | BMW Z4 GT3 | Spa-Francorchamps | Setup | Assetto Corsa Mar 13, 2021
    ACC Screenshots & Videos ACC - SPA - Hot Lap - Ferrari 488 GT3 Evo - 2:16.827 Mar 2, 2021
    ACC Online Leagues / Championships room GT3 at SPA Casual Race Oct 15, 2020
    ACC Screenshots & Videos Hot lap - Spa - Ferrari 488 GT3 - 2:16.893 Mar 28, 2020
    ACC Physics Porsche 991.2 GT3 Cup at SPA Aug 10, 2019
    ACC Physics Aston Martin Vantage GT3 SPA set-up thread May 30, 2019
    ACC Graphics - Tracks and Cars Lamborghini Huracan GT3 #77 Barwell Motorsport (Spa only livery) Apr 6, 2019
    PlayStation 4 Discussions GT3 Race @ Spa today (8pm CET) Dec 17, 2017
    Screens & Videos Ferrari 488 GT3 @ SPA ♦ 2:18.651 Sep 24, 2017
    Chit Chat Room www.ac-sf.net GT3 Blancpain Celebration of Total 24Hrs of Spa - Offical Results Jul 29, 2017

3. Gunja

Gunja Alien

I've seen my share of WR's made by keyboard drivers in many racing titles over the years.
    As long as keyboard is an option, there will be people that are amazingly competitive with it.

4. Bo-Göran Larsson

I have a wery hard time to think this is a positive thing for such advanced simulation. Control is everything and a keyboard with assist should not be any way near the top times.

ShimonART likes this.
  5. Mogster

Mogster Alien

I don't see the problem.

These sorts of times usually involve a lot of laps with 90% of them being invalid. It takes a lot of dedication but really it's a brute force approach, I'm sure using a pad or even better a wheel would be more fun... If the top ten of the popular combos were filled with pad and keyboard users I'd be a bit concerned, but as is it's a non issue.

I remember a similar thread when Spa with the GT2 Ferrari was topped by a pad user... :D

Epistolarius likes this.
  6. Nao

Nao Alien

"Control" is important when the input is imperfect. But as you approach the limit of cars performance and have perfect timing on input, the control speed starts to be important as well. Non wheel users will exploit that with their faster hardware.
    It takes a lot of effort to tweak control and car setup to behave exactly as you want and then you need to be precise down to milliseconds, but if you get these things right there can be points where you get more out of the car than a wheel user could.

edit: Also fastest times are made when you find that perfect moment to floor the throttle (or perform other maneuvers), if setup or line is imperfect wheel users can use throttle/steering modulation to get "close enough". While keyboard players have no other choice than to tweak their setup and driving line to be able to hit that spot and "be perfect", so their control method is nourishing their skills better resulting in stuff like WR's.

Rather than being negative, i'm happy that somebody can enjoy the game with keyboard too :)...

Last edited: Apr 9, 2016
    AJ McDaddy, Dookie, tabis and 4 others like this.
  7. Kyo

Kyo Racer

Why shouldn't it be possible? It is a less precise way of controlling a car but if a user is skilled enough to produce the proper inputs required to clock a WR time then why should they be disqualified? At the end of the day they're subject to the same physics engine as we wheel users are.

Epistolarius likes this.
  8. PuffTheMagicBelgian

PuffTheMagicBelgian Hardcore Simmer

9. PhilS13

PhilS13 Alien

Would you feel any better knowing this car can probably do low-mid 2.16s ? Cause it can. Many WRs on RSR are awfully slow don't take them as a confirmation that keyboard users can get near the limit of the car, I bet they can't in AC.

10. Yeah, WR's don't mean much when they're not exactly built in the game... Only people who bothered to go through the app will show. And not many fast drivers use RSR anymore.

bondyboy likes this.
  11. I don't really care about RSR world records these days. One lap wonders are just that. One lap. The only laps from other drivers that I am bothered about are the ones in a race.

12. Bo-Göran Larsson

Well Im not much off an GT3 racer but I did try the 650 an found it wery twitchy after the 1.5. It amazes me that anyone could set a low 2.18
    with such a clonky inputs as with a FK-ing keyboard. Realy :confused:

13. you have to consider the keyboard system adds a layer of "aids" to pedals and steer input.. so those drivers are not really "controlling" much.. they are basically playing a different game and, as other said, you should be happy they can rather than wishing for them to be banned from enjoying something.
    I am sure they've put as much dedication and talent into their result than everybody else that reach those levels.

14. Horus

Horus Alien

DuckeyTapey and D1visor like this.
  15. Fairbanks

Fairbanks Simracer

Tried it out, and I managed to beat the time quite quickly with my T300 freshly arrived back from a RMA-and-repair journey (so I was "primed" on the G27) after figuring out a setup that allowed me to take eau rouge flat out, but not bleed too much time on the straights. However, I effed up the last turn. Had to lock the coast diff really bad, so slow turns were a PITA, unless that's only placebo. :p I would go even so far as to assume that an alien could easily beat my time by another 1-2 seconds. It's probably just a matter of time until all the drivers have adapted to the tuned physics. Really quick times are certainly going to rain down on us plebs sooner or later. Oh, and what William said. Lots of aliens (like him, who unsolicitedly gave me motivation to "master" the C9 and the GT-R at nords) cba to use RSR anymore. In my opinion, sadly so. Overall, it's racing that makes for true fun, but hotlapping is one of my favourite pastimes, nevermind how fast or slow I am. It's a surefire way to truly learn a track's perks :D

LeDude83 and Bo-Göran Larsson like this.
  16. Bo-Göran Larsson

Not taking away the skill and the ability to play the game on different ways. With the layer off assists that comes with other
    less precise devices shouldnt that influence the times in a more dramatic way?
    Its not a big deal becouse you dont have to compare the times with the other players on other devices
    but somehow I have hard to accept that a pad user or a keyboard user should match the wheel users.
    I fully would accept that a driver with pedals with loadcell would be faster, or guys with high end wheels than others with
    less precise wheels or pedals and leaving pad and keyboard users way after..

17. Fairbanks

Fairbanks Simracer

I get what you are saying, but I think that's where Stefano's point kicks in: Input devices that are a lot less sophisticated have their lack of depth covered by mechanics that smooth everything out in an ideal way, so it is actually HARDER to drive quickly with awesome wheels, but more rewarding, because you have to work more. It's easier to get to the limit of the humanly possible, but only the combination of alien + superiorly detailed input will go beyond it. It's probably a very delicate matter to think of a way to find the point between penalty and normalization that comes with designing the controls that rely on digital input or are more clonky in nature, like a pad. Good wheels are probably the best way to go, but they are A LOT harder to truly master, to extract the magical 100% from.

18. D1visor

D1visor Alien

This again? Seriously? I used mouse steering (the method that makes the game think I use a wheel so no assists for me) before I got my G27, I see absolutely nothing wrong with it. Is your ego hurt because someone is faster than you with an "inferior" and "unrealistic" input method? When I used mouse steering, people didn't know I did until I told them. You basically sound like this to me "This guy set a faster time than me with a keyboard/keyboard & mouse/gamepad, there's no way that should be possible, because I invested into this hobby and have input devices worth hunders and thousands of euros that come close to the real thing, this is unacceptable." o_O:rolleyes:. Before I bought AC I played Simraceway (which is dead now afaik) and got really good at it, mouse steering of course. One day I raced against some guy on brands hatch, he was using a keyboard only and was really fast, I only had appreciation for him, the fact that he managed to configure his game in a way that let him be competitive with something so imprecise.

TL;DR

I see nothing wrong with it and you should stop crying :D

19. Mogster

Mogster Alien

Yes, as long as they aren't dominating I see no issue.

1 WR in a combo with relatively few times just shows what can be achieved with some perciverance. These times tend to be with modern race cars also, try driving the Cobra with the keyboard...

PuffTheMagicBelgian likes this.
  20. D1visor

D1visor Alien

Even if they're dominating, so what? Just go faster :D.

21. Bo-Göran Larsson