1. Do you need support for Assetto Corsa Competizione? Please use the proper forum below and ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Logs" folder in your c:\users\*youruser*\AppData\Local\AC2\Saved. The "AppData" folder is hidden by default, check "Hidden items" in your Windows view properties. If you report a crash, ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Crashes" folder in the same directory. Do not post "I have the same issue" in an existing thread with a game crash, always open your own thread. Do not PM developers and staff members for personal troubleshooting and support.
  2. As part of our continuous maintenance and improvements to Assetto Corsa Competizione we will be releasing small updates on a regular basis during the esports season which might not go through the usual announcement process detailing the changes until a later version update where these changes will be listed retrospectively.
  3. If ACC doesn't start with an error or the executable is missing, please add your entire Steam directory to the exceptions in your antivirus software, run a Steam integrity check or reinstall the game altogether. Make sure you add the User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione folder to your antivirus/Defender exceptions and exclude it from any file sharing app (GDrive, OneDrive or Dropbox)! The Corsair iCue software is also known to conflict with Input Device initialization, if the game does not start up and you have such devices, please try disabling the iCue software and try again. [file:unknown] [line: 95] secure crt: invalid error is a sign of antivirus interference, while [Pak chunk signing mismatch on chunk] indicates a corrupted installation that requires game file verification.
  4. When reporting an issue with saved games, please always zip and attach your entire User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione/Savegame folder, along with the logs and the crash folder (when reporting related to a crash).

Spring rate instead of wheel rate

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by William Levesque, Jan 12, 2016.

1. Am I the only one thinking that ? Wheel rates don't make much sense when building a setup... At least I've never seen any use for it.

Kristaps and YardStick like this.

2. Similar Threads
    Forum Title Date
    Bug reports Mazda MX-5 Cup Spring Rate Increments May 8, 2017
    Console Lounge Ride Height (& Spring Rate) Questions Mar 16, 2017
    Chit Chat Room Working out spring rate in Assetto Corsa Feb 15, 2017
    Physics Bugs & Issues About Helper Spring rates Jan 31, 2017
    Physics modding - Cars & Tyres question about setup.ini spring rate min/max Oct 27, 2016
    Physics modding - Cars & Tyres Calculating actual spring rate from wheel rate and other info available.... Oct 19, 2016
    Physics modding - Cars & Tyres How can i understand "PROGRESSIVE_SPRING_RATE"? Feb 24, 2016
    Physics Bugs & Issues Progressive spring rates not working anymore (observation) Sep 2, 2015
    Physics modding - Cars & Tyres How to find car spring rates Sep 28, 2014
    Online Leagues / Championships room virtueller-Asphalt Spring Championship Feb 26, 2023
    ACC Controls & Peripherals Tuning out high Spring / Return-to-center with SC2 Pro? Feb 7, 2022
    Chit Chat Room Lotus 98T Trail braking and downshifting with GTeye springs May 20, 2020
    ACC Online Leagues / Championships room Exiled Virtual Motorsports Spring Series 1 May 11, 2020
    ACC Physics Helper Springs..? Apr 16, 2020
    ACC Physics Spring effect ffb?? Feb 13, 2020

3. WallyM

WallyM Alien

I concur.

4. misterbeam

misterbeam Hardcore Simmer

I fully agree with this, but it would require some physics engine tweaks.

5. With spring rate you should also provide the engine with spring/damper angle and alignment in space, for each possible configuration (strut, dwb, trail, pushrod, pullrod, etc). This way you supply just the wheel rate and mount points positions relative to wheel hub. Calculations are done previously by developer and the engine can use plain values.

Sent from my LG-D802 with Tapatalk 5

Deleted member 18758 and AurusCE like this.
  6. Related to springs (suspension), it'd be nice if the "live alignment" screen was always showing numbers for level ground (like an alignment platform or a garage), and not on some kerb you ended up on joining a Touristenfahrten server.

Kristaps and dauntless like this.
  7. misterbeam

misterbeam Hardcore Simmer

Argh ... you just started a whole new topic with this post :rolleyes:

8. PhilS13

PhilS13 Alien

When building a car setup ? Wheel rate makes more sense than spring rate. Ultimately imo you are setting up a suspension frequency not a rate.

For the flat reference I already asked Stefano in a stream and he told me it was a big and hard problem to fix. "Total nightmare" were his words iirc.

9. 1. Spring setups are all about pre-defined spring rates on real cars, be it a street car that you're modifying (tho you can have custom-made springs with your desired rate) or a race car (more often than not they come in packages, either regulated by governing bodies or chosen by the race team/manufacturer). GT3's for example have different spring packages of different rates. Being able to choose between 50 to 200(?) wheel rate isn't realistic and doesn't make much sense.

2. RIP... That's kind of surprising, and not in a good way :/

10. PhilS13

PhilS13 Alien

50 to 200 are N/mm

So you'd want to limit the steps in the range or just see spring rate N/mm ?

Outside of NASCAR and maybe budget oriented spec series there is not a lot of governing bodies that regulate spring rates.
    GT3 series don't afaik. Regarding what's available on the market I have not often seen pre made packages for race cars. I see a ton of spring rates available for many lengths and diameters. All of which can be bought individually. Do you have an example of a pre-selected package sold for a GT3 car?

11. IIRC the Mclaren 12C GT3 (pre-facelift at least) had 1000-1200lbs/in, 1100-1300lbs/in and 1200-1400lbs/in (front-rear). Some other cars might have more to choose from of course, I don't know all about it... For me the main part is that wheel rates just don't make sense in a setup building process.

Another thing, GT3's are supposed to have fixed gear ratios (a "standard" one for normal tracks and a "long" one for tracks like Monza). On here we can adjust every single gears by several clicks, which doesn't make sense.

12. Well here they can't lock gears as racing cars would end up being just like road cars. The only option to resemble a "package" would be leaving the final drive open and selectable, but that wouldn't make sense either...

13. Eh ?

Just have two presets: "Standard" and "Tall" (a bit like the presets on the E30 Gr.A/DTM). Simple no ? Of course they'd have to get the proper gear ratios...

14. I almost never use race cars so I'm not all that expert in setting them up I admit... I think I never loaded the e30 once...

15. Stereo

Stereo Alien

The only time spring rate is better than wheel rate is if you happen to have a setup for the real-world car that you want to try out exactly... if you're just setting up the car with no prior knowledge, it doesn't matter any more than it being in N/mm instead of lb/in. matters, if it's too soft set it harder, and vice versa.

16. 1. Wheel rates are more relevant to making a setup than spring rates if you're not comparing a real life setup to an in game one (which you won't be doing most of the time). Either way, real life setups are made with the wheel rates as the primary consideration since at the end of the day that's the only relevant thing to the handling. If you want to "play the engineer" in the sim by making your own setups, the current way is actually better than having just spring rates, as actual race engineers only care about the wheel rates.

2. Locking gear ratios is fairly pointless in a sim...there isn't much of a point in doing it, and the cars in AC aren't following any specific series rules (and since the locked gear ratios aren't universal - GTD cars can use 4 sets IIRC, it wouldn't be any more realistic to lock them, it'd just be unnecessarily limiting).

BrunUK, Glaurung, PhilS13 and 2 others like this.
  17. Yeah man, let's just not make the cars accurate, what's the point anyway ?

18. Having two locked ratio sets would be just as inaccurate (if you actually read what I wrote, GTD has 4 ratio sets - having 2 ratios is just limiting and no more realistic, so there's no point ;))

ears1991 likes this.
  19. Stereo

Stereo Alien

If you want to limit the GT3 cars to a "monza" set of ratios, just stick it in the server's fixed setup. That's where series regulations should go, the car should have as many options as the hardware allows (and for racing transmissions that usually means a handful of 1st, and 30-40 of every other gear)

ears1991 and Glaurung like this.
  20. The cars we have are Blancpain spec. So you know... Although this year in IMSA they are identical right ? Then maybe we could have those presets, but having completely free gearings is way overkill.

21. No, they're not. The devs have stated many times that they use the manufacturer data that they have and then BoP the cars themselves...the cars in AC run to no specific rule set. By the way, in GTD they can choose any ratios they want for their sets...you can't replicate that in any way other than...I don't know... maybe giving the opportunity to use all of the gear ratios available to the car. The gear ratio restriction IRL is a part of the BoP anyway, so since Kunos is making their own, the free ratios make sense.

ears1991 likes this.