1. Do you need support for Assetto Corsa Competizione? Please use the proper forum below and ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Logs" folder in your c:\users\*youruser*\AppData\Local\AC2\Saved. The "AppData" folder is hidden by default, check "Hidden items" in your Windows view properties. If you report a crash, ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Crashes" folder in the same directory. Do not post "I have the same issue" in an existing thread with a game crash, always open your own thread. Do not PM developers and staff members for personal troubleshooting and support.
  2. As part of our continuous maintenance and improvements to Assetto Corsa Competizione we will be releasing small updates on a regular basis during the esports season which might not go through the usual announcement process detailing the changes until a later version update where these changes will be listed retrospectively.
  3. If ACC doesn't start with an error or the executable is missing, please add your entire Steam directory to the exceptions in your antivirus software, run a Steam integrity check or reinstall the game altogether. Make sure you add the User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione folder to your antivirus/Defender exceptions and exclude it from any file sharing app (GDrive, OneDrive or Dropbox)! The Corsair iCue software is also known to conflict with Input Device initialization, if the game does not start up and you have such devices, please try disabling the iCue software and try again. [file:unknown] [line: 95] secure crt: invalid error is a sign of antivirus interference, while [Pak chunk signing mismatch on chunk] indicates a corrupted installation that requires game file verification.
  4. When reporting an issue with saved games, please always zip and attach your entire User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione/Savegame folder, along with the logs and the crash folder (when reporting related to a crash).

Stability control = cheating?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat Room' started by Rex, Oct 13, 2015.

1. The term "balls of steel" springs to mind after watching that video :eek:

2. michael_

michael_ Simracer

Doesn't the car in game have a setup geared to make it "fun" ?

Most road cars are setup to understeer and I believe that assetto corsa has typically tried to give cars the setup they have if you bought one, but I'm not sure that's true of the Ruf. Aris made a post when it was added saying how to make it better.

TBH though I think it's a bit hyped. For example, drifting is slow driving, not fast driving. That guy in the video isn't driving fast around Nords so much as he's making the car drift around some of the corners.

Boy racers on the roads wheel spinning and getting their cars out of control isn't because they are driving fast - it's because they are doing harsh inputs.

Fast driving looks slow - a common comment that JC makes on Star in a reasonably priced car.

3. ouvert

ouvert Alien

:) what ? you mean Stefan Rosner doing Nords at 8:05 in production car from `87 on road tyres is not driving fast? :) buddy, that is modern M3 BMW or Audi R8 V10 fast :)
    He is not drifting around Nords just having fun :) ..

Last edited: Oct 16, 2015
    Michael Hornbuckle likes this.
  4. michael_

michael_ Simracer

Yes, I mean sliding around corners like that is not fast.

If it was then Lewis Hamilton and Jason Plato would be doing it.

5. Cote Dazur

Cote Dazur Alien

@Rex, as to your question, using stability control, for me is not cheating, as their is no rule against using it.

You mention in your post that on some car you have to use stability control to avoid frustration, but by using it you are not allowing yourself to get to the point where you will not need it any more with this particular cars, preventing yourself from ever having fun with them.

Instead of turning the stability control on, you might want to drive those car slower and gradually get up to speed, understanding they individual trait of characters and eventually reward yourself with the pleasure of getting in control.

After all, this is a great feature of AC, no car is difficult to drive, until you try to push to the limit and then the fun began, like IRL.

6. ouvert

ouvert Alien

bet ya that it is the fatest way you could go with that car :) if Lewis Hamilton was driving that RUF he would be either sliding just as much or more likely sliding more and crashing .. or driving slower :) Roser is not just random guy from YT :)

he is sliding cause he is pushing on the limit and due characterictic behavior of that car ... basically constantly saving it .. must be freaking hard ..

Last edited: Oct 16, 2015
  7. V8_KB

V8_KB Alien

I'm pretty sure that Stefan Roser wouldn't be sliding here and there and if the road legal car from the '80s would have downforce level and tyres of the car that Lewis Hamilton is racing.

8. Pete Gaimari

Pete Gaimari Racer

The YB is really not that hard to drive. You know exactly what it's going to do......oversteer. It does it on throttle, and off throttle.....always. Some cars will oversteer, understeer, or just track through a turn depending on how you drive it. Not the case for the YB. You can depend on it oversteering all the time. So, it's easy to be prepared to countersteer, and catch all slides. No surprises.

The beauty of the YB is, because it does oversteer so easily, it has great steering. No ploughing off the track from understeer. Oversteer is your friend when it's controllable like in the YB. Don't fear it. Tame it, and enjoy it.

Fat Rich and baboon like this.
  9. Welcome to Earth, my alien friend. You are very welcome to enjoy the sights of our beautiful planet, but please avoid any gun battles with the natives. Your laser pistols and portable electromagnetic pulse rifle put you at a slight advantage :p

eXo, Metla and Minolin like this.
  10. Pete Gaimari

Pete Gaimari Racer

I'm way too old to be an alien. I just poke along countersteering. :)

11. Inquisitor

Inquisitor Rookie

I'll just add my 2 cents, ESC saved my *** in real life, so I feel it's fairly realistic in game too.

Dark winter night on the highway in Canada (around -17'c outside), all the lanes look pretty clear just snow banks on the side of the road. I'm doing roughly 110 km/h and I notice I need fuel so decide to take the exit. The entrance to the exit is clear, I slow down, it's a pretty long curved exit, unfamiliar to me. I'm off gas, off brakes just coasting, when I suddenly notice that the rest of the ramp is just full ice and snow -- touching brakes would be a guaranteed disaster, I feather the gas and my car's rear is going into a super wide drift mode, I feel like I'm just about to lose it and go sideways off the ramp and into the bush. Luckily ESC starts firing the brakes on the different wheels and brings the rear of the car straight again. Everything is in control. I gave the dash a double pat as a thank you. Yes it really feels like a "magic hand", even in real life, I'm glad I kept it on that night.

As far as AC goes though, I usually just play with ESC and ABS set to what the vehicle's default is. I feel it gives each car a slightly different feel especially when you switch cars from different eras - say the Ford GT compared to the Ferrari Italia, the former doesn't have the gadgetry, and just feels raw in comparison to more modern cars.

Vel likes this.
  12. Minolin

Minolin Staff Member KS Dev Team

That's the problem. Kunos did invest a lot of work to simulate a TC or ABS realisticly, while the SC is just a "not that twitchy". Has nothing to do with the clever things a modern electronic stability system does.

eXo likes this.
  13. ouvert

ouvert Alien

Well that is pretty much consensus here.. In sims ESC build in car is fine, just like other systems.. game SC - aid made for less skilled players or players using controllers is unrealistic helping hand...also fine to use if you don't mind that there is something between you and the car...technically not really sim driving anymore

14. Pete Gaimari

Pete Gaimari Racer

What's comical is some guys will whine about a track not being laser scanned, because they want the real thing. Then they use aids when driving the car.

Cote Dazur likes this.
  15. baboon

baboon Alien

Seems pretty common with simracers. All want realism but when the realism becomes intrusive to the comfort-zone, it's not that important anymore. There's so many different examples for it and to be honest, I couldn't care less.

Each to his own. I desire the most authentic experience because that's what brings me joy. If it would bring me more joy by using driving aids, or fudging the steering ratio, or using superglue tires, or whatever... I'd do it.

16. michael_

michael_ Simracer

I'm sure if you get a tyres app and look it's more often the front tyres that lose grip because the engine is in the wrong place and there's no weight on them. That's understeer, although it'll often spin from braking.

Not really fun imo. Although YMMV. I mean, it's not like "tail-happy powerful rear wheel drive car" fun that you drive with your right foot.

It's just a car from a time when people were more interested in aesthetics than actual performance, handling and things like that, so presumably someone thought the shape looked cool irrespective of the bad idea (Jaguar had some of these too, like the E-Type - looks nice with Twiggy stood next to it in the Blues Brothers, but don't take it over 70mph and expect to live)

In some ways modern electronics have saved Porsche (because they tried unsuccessfully to correct the error and bring out other cars with the engine moved, but these never really caught on in the same way that the 911 did)

Thankfully now though, a box of electronics can make the worst design ideas drive well and so marketing directors can drive a 911 and get home in one piece.

17. Wow @michael_ you lose credibility with every post. I might have to add you to my ignore list, not for being a jerk, but simply because you bring nothing to the table. I don't think I have ever seen three back to back to back posts that are more wrong before. Please tell me you are a teenager, that would explain everything.

18. michael_

michael_ Simracer

Well, let's compare 2 of yours. You said that people were playing AC on PCs less powerful than an xbox 360. And replied to a thread asking about drifting and steering wheels saying "I can't drift" - which was really helpful and informative.

So I'll take the above as a compliment. I think I'll live with you disagreeing, but there was really no need for your cheap ad hominem guff was there?

As for my age, I wish I was a teenager. Teenagers are young and have their whole life ahead of them. Is that why you don't like them? Aww.

19. Pete Gaimari

Pete Gaimari Racer

In theory the 911 should understeer. In practice it doesn't. Not in AC, or real life. At least the not with the older ones. Of course with a rear engine car once the oversteer starts it wants to keep going. It also shouldn't be trail braked.
    That's why the YB is not hard to drive. I've never felt it understeer. Be prepared to countersteer for every turn, and life is good. The more you drive it the easier it gets. The YB will always be hard if you go back and forth with the nanny equipped modern cars.

20. Rex

Rex Racer

Guys, speaking of stability control, would you please make a little test: enter the special event Stained Rockets and see how that Ruf behaves, is it normal/intended or broken? I really feel like it's on ice. The race is a joke, like the tyres are 70% or something. I slide all over, I can't barely even get the car around the corners. I have the feeling something is broken either the car or the event.