1. Do you need support for Assetto Corsa Competizione? Please use the proper forum below and ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Logs" folder in your c:\users\*youruser*\AppData\Local\AC2\Saved. The "AppData" folder is hidden by default, check "Hidden items" in your Windows view properties. If you report a crash, ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Crashes" folder in the same directory. Do not post "I have the same issue" in an existing thread with a game crash, always open your own thread. Do not PM developers and staff members for personal troubleshooting and support.
  2. As part of our continuous maintenance and improvements to Assetto Corsa Competizione we will be releasing small updates on a regular basis during the esports season which might not go through the usual announcement process detailing the changes until a later version update where these changes will be listed retrospectively.
  3. If ACC doesn't start with an error or the executable is missing, please add your entire Steam directory to the exceptions in your antivirus software, run a Steam integrity check or reinstall the game altogether. Make sure you add the User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione folder to your antivirus/Defender exceptions and exclude it from any file sharing app (GDrive, OneDrive or Dropbox)! The Corsair iCue software is also known to conflict with Input Device initialization, if the game does not start up and you have such devices, please try disabling the iCue software and try again. [file:unknown] [line: 95] secure crt: invalid error is a sign of antivirus interference, while [Pak chunk signing mismatch on chunk] indicates a corrupted installation that requires game file verification.
  4. When reporting an issue with saved games, please always zip and attach your entire User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione/Savegame folder, along with the logs and the crash folder (when reporting related to a crash).

Steering input AC & real life

Discussion in 'Chit Chat Room' started by Andy-R, Mar 10, 2018.

1. chuky

chuky Alien

Translation of the video of Romain MONTI :
    A question that people often ask : How does a pilot train ? There are 2 major ways. The ideal one is to rent a track where there will be a race, you move all the infrastructure, the team, the equipment. It's very expensive, several tens of thousands of euros for a training. That's why in the recent years, simulations have developed. Simulations are basically a video game pushed to the extreme and that tries to reproduce reality the best it can. I'm a relatively young pilot, I'm 27, I'm from the Playstation generation. I grew up with Gran Turismo, Forza Motorsport, Vrally for example. They had a lot from the arcade genre at the time. Arcade means it doesn't really reproduce reality but it's very easy to handle and it's very intuitive, it's especially true for Need for Speed, and a bit less for Gran Turismo, and even a bit less for Forza Motorsport.

Once I got passed videogames as a way to have fun, I've discovered video games as a training tool. As I moved forward with my career, I was looking for solutions that fitted me better for my driving training. The first one that really started to make you feel the driving sensations and being a pedagogical tool was Forza Motorsport. That's why I've stayed on Forza for a long time before I discovered really advanced simulations that were on PC. That's when I switched from consoles to computer. That's when I discovered GTR2 and Rfactor. When I started simracing they were the 2 main simulations, the ones that were the closest from reality. These 2 have allowed me to learn and practice on tracks that I didn't know yet, and when I was going to the track at least I knew which way it would turn.

Lately there has been games like Iracing, RFactor 2 a bit less, but the one I use mostly is Assetto Corsa. I've also tried Project Cars but it's closer to the arcade genre than a pure simulation. With a game like Assetto Corsa you can really get close to the physical behavior of the car. What's really interesting with this simulation, because it's not just a game but you can consider it as a simulation, is that cars from my championship are there. If I want to practice with the Lamborghini Huracan that I drive with, I can. There are the tracks of the championship I drive in, and my car, so it's really a major source of training.

For example, for practicing for the Monza event that just finished, with the Lamborghini Huracan in the European Blancpain, I've spent a lot of time on my simulator. I made a configuration with my computer, my steering wheel and my pedals. I was starting Monza and the Huracan and I was grinding the asphalt. Grinding asphalt virtually costs a lot less money and you can try more things than if you wanted to do it in real life in a real practice session. Nowadays, games are so advanced that developers reproduce tracks with a laser. They have teams with the right technology, and they scan the whole track so they can reproduce elevations, bumps, bankings, off-camber areas on the track. This way you can stick to it and have the same reference points as the ones you would have in a real practice session.

That's why today I wanted to show a comparison of a lap I did in a real practice session with my Lamborghini Huracan on Monza and a lap I did virtually on Assetto Corsa. I didn't touch the setup in Assetto Corsa, the car was untouched, and lap times are already very similar. There are a few differences with gear ratios, but in the end the difference is 0.01 or 0.02 in a lap so you can really practice well for race weekends because you can rely on this tool to test things.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2018
    Thomas Cameron, Eero, Methee and 8 others like this.
  2. Serge M

Serge M Alien

Thanks heaps for the translation, appreciate your work.

3. chksix

chksix Hardcore Simmer

I spotted that the first bridge across the track after 1:st chicane has been torn down.

4. Ex Racing driver Walter never jerk steering wheel even when he drift on race track or public road. One example

I think its all comes down to personal preference. I know both micro steering input racer and smooth steering input like Walter. But as a passenger, smooth steering input is more impressive. Doing a fast lap with very little steering input require complete knowledge of the map in addition to driving skill.

For me, I tend to do more micro steering correction more in track or places I am not familiar in. Its just a method of random searching for ideal grip.

Last edited: May 2, 2018
  5. rafikens1000

rafikens1000 Racer

Robert Kubica has said once (when he was asked about racing vs. rally) that during his whole life he has been thaught to do as less as possible wheel corrections and it is what racing is really all about. In rally you find sth opposite - u fight every time with the wheel.

I mean, driving in our homes makes our driving style calmer than in RL. It is easier to be nearly perfect. But ofc it depends also on particular driver etc.

TBH, for me, those diffrencies are not that big anyway (looking at first videos comparing AC with RL).

6. BrunUK

BrunUK Alien

I got told off for sawing the wheel too much in the Caterham at PalmerSport a few years ago. Instructor said he understood why I was doing it, but it was costing me time. Think that was my worst event of the day, 11th/70 or something. Missed out on top spot in the M4 by 0.06 seconds :(

7. liakjim

liakjim Alien

Is this wheel movement enough for you guys?

Στάλθηκε από το m2 note μου χρησιμοποιώντας Tapatalk

Kristaps and chksix like this.
  8. dermonty

dermonty Hardcore Simmer

I could tell, if you show the same driver in the real car on the same Track with the approx. same conditions :D

liakjim likes this.
  9. Porsche GT3 Cup is released in rfactor2.
    The difference from the conventional simcar (including rfactor2) is that the response of the car behavior to the road bump is greater.
    Comparing steering movement, this car looks like a real car.