1. Do you need support for Assetto Corsa Competizione? Please use the proper forum below and ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Logs" folder in your c:\users\*youruser*\AppData\Local\AC2\Saved. The "AppData" folder is hidden by default, check "Hidden items" in your Windows view properties.
    Dismiss Notice

Suggestions for AI improvement

Discussion in 'ACC General Discussions' started by Poguinhas, Apr 30, 2018.

1. Poguinhas

Poguinhas Alien

I remember Stefano saying once that it was hard for him to improve the AI, because since he knows how they act he doesn't encounter many of their flaws that we do. I've been doing several AI races for practice recently, and considering that I'd love an entertaining offline game play in addition to the online features, here are my (hopefully) constructive suggestions:

1 - AI line, or fast lane: On many tracks the AI loses a bunch of time because they don't use the correct line, especially on fast corners. On Eau Rouge, for example, where players on a GT3 car can have an exit speed of around 240km/h, the AI can be 30km/h slower than that. By recording a new line I was able to bring that up to 230, which proves that the line is not allowing them to have the best speed there. That also happens at Blanchimont, copse, and so on. On most circuits on AC you're able to improve the AI pace just by having a proper line. I know that sometimes this is difficult because the line must work for several categories, but since ACC doesn't have that issue, having the proper lines is essential for the AI to work well.

2 - Not driving into walls: It's so frustrating to have a race at Spa, because on la source and the kink before Eau Rouge, the AI will just drive straight into the walls, causing massive pile-ups and retiring half the field in Lap 1, sector 1. So it would be nice to teach the AI to drive around walls, instead of trying to go through them.

3 - Holding the inside line: I've seen this happen a lot in maggots and T6 at Laguna Seca. When you take the outside line to overtake them, they'll hold the inside up until the apex, but instead of slowing down and holding the inside they'll just go straight to the outside and push you off the track.

4 - Defensive lines: The AI would be a lot more convincing if they took defensive actions like holding the inside line to force you to the outside. Little things like that which make they look a lot more human (hopefully not changing directions 3 times on the straights forcing their teammates to crash into them).

So those are the main suggestions I could come up with. If those edges are ironed out, in my opinion ACC could be up there with the best AI in the genre.

2. Similar Threads
    Forum Title Date
    ACC Graphics - Tracks and Cars some general graphic improvement suggestions Sep 13, 2018
    ACC General Discussions Notes on small details, and suggestions for improvement Sep 13, 2018
    Suggestions General improvements suggestions Oct 12, 2017
    Graphics and Models/Tracks Bugs & Issues Nordschleife - visual bugs/ suggestions/ improvements Mar 16, 2015
    Tracks modding AC track editor improvements suggestions Jun 6, 2014
    Multiplayer Bugs & Issues Suggestions for future improvement May 10, 2014
    Suggestions AC FFB Implementation, Improvement Suggestions Nov 10, 2013
    ACC Graphics - Tracks and Cars Suggestions on spray from wet track - windscreen and car mirros Oct 16, 2018
    ACC User Interface ACC0.2 - a couple of replay suggestions - laps and slomo Oct 14, 2018
    ACC General Discussions [suggestions] Oct 11, 2018
    ACC General Discussions Suggestions Sep 15, 2018
    Suggestions Forum closed - thanks for your suggestions Jul 17, 2018
    Suggestions Forum closed - thanks for your suggestions Jul 2, 2018
    Console Lounge Default Pit Stop Strategy and delay between Qualifying/Race : suggestions Jan 10, 2018
    General modding discussion uneven road all round in RTB, any suggestions? Jan 4, 2018

3. Epistolarius

Epistolarius Alien

5 - Pit stop strategy: being able to manage stint length; manage tyres and fuel; pitting for tyres at all

6 - Awareness for other cars on the pit AI line (not ramming cars out of the way on pit in and not blocking oncoming traffic on pit out).

7 - AI able to abide to flags; penalties apply to AI also

LChaves and Poguinhas like this.